Biffle Says Goodbye To Roush

You're correct, we don't. I was being a little too blindly trusting of Biffle's statements. That is definitely what they are implying on that podcast, but it's odd the way they do it offering no specific information whatsoever. Some remarks made throughout the season still cause me to believe that Biffle was getting fed up and wanted out, but we don't know what really went down and whether Biffle would have a Roush car to drive next year if he wanted one.

Jack would have let him stay in the 16 car, but it would have been Ford Performance and Roush Performance on the car for the majority of the season.

Hooters was a one off, KFC only had two races, a handful of races with Kleen and Eco Power oil, and Cheez-It was only on the car for like two or three races. After 3M and Ortho left, Biffle's majority of his races were covered by both companies. The rest were just smaller associate sponsors, so I think Biffle made the right call in leaving. It stinks to know a guy with that type of track record had to leave on such ****** terms.

Jack would have let him stay in the 16 car, but it would have been Ford Performance and Roush Performance on the car for the majority of the season.
To assume Jack & Partners would have been willing to do that is a giant assumption, IMO, even if Greg's pay would have been nil.

To assume Jack & Partners would have been willing to do that is a giant assumption, IMO, even if Greg's pay would have been nil.

A ton of his races this year were not sponsored, @Allenbaba said it best. Roush has enough funding for 1.5 cars, Greg might not have been in the cards from the outset. We all know Bayne is covered, but Stenhouse's pallet is starting to run dry. I hate to see what Fastenal and Fifth/Third decide, if they leave that 17 car is screwed. Roush needs results and they need them in a hurry because sponsors are growing impatient and are jumping ship.

RFR is not dead, but they are going to be fish flopping for more air, if not careful. They are really starting to look like Yates year by year, the trend is actually kind of eerily similar.

They'll be defunct by the end of the decade. Although I'm not a fan of Roush in the least, it's sad to see this once great team wither away. Roush will have a two-car operation for the first time since 1995, and if you're counting on Bayne and Stenhouse to save the day then things are pretty bad. Reminds me of when Junior Johnson was down to Brett Bodine and Elton Sawyer or when Yates was down to David Gilliland and Travis Kvapil. Neither team lasted long after that, and RFR likely won't either.

A ton of his races this year were not sponsored, @Allenbaba said it best. Roush has enough funding for 1.5 cars, Greg might not have been in the cards from the outset. We all know Bayne is covered, but Stenhouse's pallet is starting to run dry. I hate to see what Fastenal and Fifth/Third decide, if they leave that 17 car is screwed. Roush needs results and they need them in a hurry because sponsors are growing impatient and are jumping ship.

RFR is not dead, but they are going to be fish flopping for more air, if not careful. They are really starting to look like Yates year by year, the trend is actually kind of eerily similar.
Fastenal re-signed for 3 years a couple of months ago.

Stenhouse is more than capable as a driver. His runs at Bristol & 3rd in the Xfinity race a couple weeks back at Phoenix prove that still.

I'm constantly being reminded of this video made by Fox. When the opening quote from Larry McReynolds is, "I look at Roush-Fenway Racing a little bit like our economy; we didn't get in trouble with our economy overnight and we aren't going to dig out overnight" you know it's bad. And that was near 6 months ago.

... They are really starting to look like Yates year by year, the trend is actually kind of eerily similar.
... or when Yates was down to David Gilliland and Travis Kvapil. ...
Thank y'all. I knew the Roush situation reminded me of an earlier one, and I just couldn't remember which team.

They'll be defunct by the end of the decade. Although I'm not a fan of Roush in the least, it's sad to see this once great team wither away. Roush will have a two-car operation for the first time since 1995, and if you're counting on Bayne and Stenhouse to save the day then things are pretty bad. Reminds me of when Junior Johnson was down to Brett Bodine and Elton Sawyer or when Yates was down to David Gilliland and Travis Kvapil. Neither team lasted long after that, and RFR likely won't either.
That part about Yates is incorrect in that Robert Yates was gone at this point. His son Doug tried to field a team under Roush and failed. He now has only the engine shop in partnership with Jack.

That part about Yates is incorrect in that Robert Yates was gone at this point. His son Doug tried to field a team under Roush and failed. He now has only the engine shop in partnership with Jack.
Not entirely incorrect, as it was still the same team. However, if you want to look at Robert's last year specifically (2007), it wasn't any better. He had Gilliland and a way-past-his-prime Ricky Rudd, who finished 28th and 33rd in points respectively.

Not entirely incorrect, as it was still the same team. However, if you want to look at Robert's last year specifically (2007), it wasn't any better. He had Gilliland and a way-past-his-prime Ricky Rudd, who finished 28th and 33rd in points respectively.

For some reason Ricky came out of retirement for 1 year with RYR.

It will be sad to see Roush go. SHR coming to Ford will push them further down the totem pole, making it less likely that they will be able to recover. If they don't show some miraculous improvement this season, I bet they are gone the end of next year.

It will be sad to see Roush go. SHR coming to Ford will push them further down the totem pole, making it less likely that they will be able to recover. If they don't show some miraculous improvement this season, I bet they are gone the end of next year.
Nah, it will take longer than that. Mind you, I agree that it will eventually happen.

I would take that bet.

Roush has a long standing relationship with Ford that goes far beyond NASCAR racing. Whatever Ford resources are available to the other teams are available to Roush.

Isn't this a people problem? They made a few good hires last season and this year started out pretty well. Maybe Reiser being replaced will spark something.

They got all that Ford had to offer and went down hill from there. I suppose that is why Ford had to court Penske. Roush at that time had nothing to offer other teams. RP did better than Roush when they first switched to Ford under Roush and that was because they were not stuck using the current technology that Roush was using. All RP did was use the front clip so they could mount the Ford engines.
At least that is what I remember.

I would take that bet.

Roush has a long standing relationship with Ford that goes far beyond NASCAR racing. Whatever Ford resources are available to the other teams are available to Roush.

Isn't this a people problem? They made a few good hires last season and this year started out pretty well. Maybe Reiser being replaced will spark something.

Are you bold enough to predict a win again for RFR this year?

I thought predicting a Roush win was a good choice because it certainly was not a given but within the realm of possibility

Its sad for Roush but they just haven't been performing lately and I think down sizeing to two cars will help them out a bit but they really don't have any quality drivers in my opinion. Buescher moving over to JTG Daughtry is interesting just for the fact that a Ford team is loaning a driver to a Chevy team. Really wish Roush had the funding to keep the 16 car going with Buescher driving it and Bubba Wallace taking Chris's spot at Front Row but doesn't look the case.

Its sad for Roush but they just haven't been performing lately and I think down sizeing to two cars will help them out a bit but they really don't have any quality drivers in my opinion. Buescher moving over to JTG Daughtry is interesting just for the fact that a Ford team is loaning a driver to a Chevy team. Really wish Roush had the funding to keep the 16 car going with Buescher driving it and Bubba Wallace taking Chris's spot at Front Row but doesn't look the case.
You said a mouthful there........'They don't have any quality drivers''....... and without quality drivers and no quality equipment... (no jab at FoMoCo... because Penske seems to be doing just fine).......Roush looks like the swirl of water you see in the toilet when it is flushed... It's a shame and I hate to see it because I stood by Jack for years on end..

SHR moving to Ford won't help Roush out any either I believe. Penske and SHR are going to be the top Ford teams with Roush pretty much being like Front Row. Roush has also had a lot of success in the Xfinity Series but his cars didn't even perform well there this year. Don't look for them to last much longer if they can't squeek out a win next year.

I don't think that it's any news to anyone that Jack can be rough with people . Back in the day when Cummins and Valvoline sponsorships were easy to come by , some landed with Jack . These days the big marketing cartels like Gibbs and Hendrick do a better job getting and keeping sponsors . Also newer teams have come along that will undercut market prices . Pretty simple why Jack has fallen behind in sponsorships . What I still don't understand is why Fenway couldn't help.

Jack will end up selling his entire operation before handing it over to someone else to manage. He doesn't want his name on the building if he isn't running it.

Officially announced that RFR will field only 2 cars next year in the NASCAR Grand National Series.

Officially announced that RFR will field only 2 cars next year in the NASCAR Grand National Series.
Not a surpise announcement....... I hate to see it happen ...... but Jack ain't no Spring chicken anymore...

Is the charter for sale? Or holding onto it for a while?

Not a surpise announcement....... I hate to see it happen ...... but Jack ain't no Spring chicken anymore...

I think the charter is going to Buescher in a second JTG car.

Isn't it being leased to JTG for a year? If that's the case, then Roush will have to either sell it to them or buy it back before 2018.

Okay........

Sorry.. They are leasing it.

Jayski:
Roush Fenway Racing Announces 2017 NASCAR Cup Plans: Roush Fenway Racing has announced its 2017 plans for the NASCAR Cup Series that will see the organization field a two-car Cup operation next season, with drivers Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. piloting the #6 and #17 Ford Fusions, respectively, in NASCAR's highest series. In addition, Kevin Kidd and Tommy Wheeler will lead Roush Fenway's overall competition efforts going forward. Kidd will assume the role of Competition Director, and Wheeler will serve as the team's Operations Director. The team will lease its #16 NASCAR Charter and driver Chris Buescher to JTG Racing in 2017. "We have been able to shore up our plans for 2017 and we feel that this will continue to move us in a direction that will yield improved performance and results," said Roush Fenway co-owner Jack Roush. "We saw improvement in our cars and made substantial gains in our performance at times last season, and we will continue to build on that by maintaining a robust engineering group in order to take the next step by consistently running up front."
The #6 team will once again be led by veteran crew chief Matt Puccia. Brian Pattie, who was the crew chief for the #16 Cup Series team last season, will transition to crew chief of the #17 team. Nick Sandler, who served as the #17 crew chief the last two seasons, has been named Director of Engineering. Robbie Reiser, who has played an integral role on the competition side at Roush Fenway Racing for a number of years, will remain with the organization in a yet to be determined position. Kidd has served as Roush Fenway's Cup Team Manager - supervising all at-track operations - for the previous two seasons, after coming over from Joe Gibbs Racing where he worked as a crew chief for the previous half decade. He holds a mechanical engineering degree from Virginia Tech, and has worked as a lead engineer for multiple teams and drivers. Wheeler, who holds a B.S. in physics from Davidson College, joined Roush Fenway in 2009. A 20-plus year veteran of the sport, he has served in many capacities for the team, including as the team's production director since 2011, overseeing the building and production of all of the organization's Cup and XFINITY Series cars. (RFR)(11-29-2016)
AND Chris Buescher will drive a second car for JTG Daugherty in 2017, the team stated Tuesday. "We can confirm at this time that JTG Daugherty Racing is currently in the process of starting a second team in the NASCAR premier series," JTG Daugherty Racing team owner Tad Geschickter said in a statement. "We would also like to confirm and welcome Chris Buescher to the team as our driver for the second car. More details will follow." Said Buescher, 24, in a statement: "I can confirm that I have signed to race for JTG Daugherty Racing as they expand to a two-car team in the NASCAR premier series in 2017. I'm thankful for the opportunity and look forward to competing for a spot in the Chase. We'll have more details at a later date."(NBC Sports)(11-29-2016)

Sorry.. They are leasing it.

Jayski:
Roush Fenway Racing Announces 2017 NASCAR Cup Plans: Roush Fenway Racing has announced its 2017 plans for the NASCAR Cup Series that will see the organization field a two-car Cup operation next season, with drivers Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. piloting the #6 and #17 Ford Fusions, respectively, in NASCAR's highest series. In addition, Kevin Kidd and Tommy Wheeler will lead Roush Fenway's overall competition efforts going forward. Kidd will assume the role of Competition Director, and Wheeler will serve as the team's Operations Director. The team will lease its #16 NASCAR Charter and driver Chris Buescher to JTG Racing in 2017. "We have been able to shore up our plans for 2017 and we feel that this will continue to move us in a direction that will yield improved performance and results," said Roush Fenway co-owner Jack Roush. "We saw improvement in our cars and made substantial gains in our performance at times last season, and we will continue to build on that by maintaining a robust engineering group in order to take the next step by consistently running up front."
The #6 team will once again be led by veteran crew chief Matt Puccia. Brian Pattie, who was the crew chief for the #16 Cup Series team last season, will transition to crew chief of the #17 team. Nick Sandler, who served as the #17 crew chief the last two seasons, has been named Director of Engineering. Robbie Reiser, who has played an integral role on the competition side at Roush Fenway Racing for a number of years, will remain with the organization in a yet to be determined position. Kidd has served as Roush Fenway's Cup Team Manager - supervising all at-track operations - for the previous two seasons, after coming over from Joe Gibbs Racing where he worked as a crew chief for the previous half decade. He holds a mechanical engineering degree from Virginia Tech, and has worked as a lead engineer for multiple teams and drivers. Wheeler, who holds a B.S. in physics from Davidson College, joined Roush Fenway in 2009. A 20-plus year veteran of the sport, he has served in many capacities for the team, including as the team's production director since 2011, overseeing the building and production of all of the organization's Cup and XFINITY Series cars. (RFR)(11-29-2016)
AND Chris Buescher will drive a second car for JTG Daugherty in 2017, the team stated Tuesday. "We can confirm at this time that JTG Daugherty Racing is currently in the process of starting a second team in the NASCAR premier series," JTG Daugherty Racing team owner Tad Geschickter said in a statement. "We would also like to confirm and welcome Chris Buescher to the team as our driver for the second car. More details will follow." Said Buescher, 24, in a statement: "I can confirm that I have signed to race for JTG Daugherty Racing as they expand to a two-car team in the NASCAR premier series in 2017. I'm thankful for the opportunity and look forward to competing for a spot in the Chase. We'll have more details at a later date."(NBC Sports)(11-29-2016)

''We saw improved performance and saw substantial gains''.......... Where the hell did Jack buy what he was smoking?

He must have picked it up while he was on the West coast or in Colorado!!!!!!!!!!

Early in the season the 17 showed really good speed especially during qualifying he was a weekly final 12 car and the 6 was contending for a chase spot on points. This is what he most likely is eluding to. On top of that both Ricky and Trevor had career years as far as top 5 and or top 10s. Its real easy to hate on RFR but if you look at things in a relative perspective you can see the promising things.

''We saw improved performance and saw substantial gains''.......... Where the hell did Jack buy what he was smoking?

He must have picked it up while he was on the West coast or in Colorado!!!!!!!!!!
I can agree with him. I can't get to Racing Reference here at work, but I recall both finished better than last year, and improved over the course of the season.

Back
Top Bottom