Big changes coming

Yeah, this definitely caught a lot of ticket holders flat footed. They said in the conference that they'd been working on it for months, but this is another change in an off-season that will long be noted for last-minute announcements.
I really have no interest in sitting through this live. I've been barely holding on the past few years as it is. It's time to be honest with myself.

I admit I must be out of touch with wanting to see the personalities of drivers and athletes as unless they are being stupid I am not interested. The only reason I am interested in if they are being stupid is for the damage they are doing. My favorite football team had over 50 people on its roster this year and I bet I could identify about 5 of them by face and I may have heard 2-3 give a brief interview.I have watched my favorite hockey team play 40 times this year and could probably identify about 5 players and I have only heard a couple interviewed. For me it is all about how they play the players play and execute as none of them are my personal friends and never will be so I don't care if they are married, like to go hunting, are articulate, wear braces or look like dorks. I want to enjoy them doing their jobs well and that is it.

I should have clarified a bit, for myself I mean when they do interviews after the race. Most of them just rattle off their sponsors like an automated message instead of expressing their real opinions. Their real feelings come out here and there when guys get really aggravated but I think we need more of that. I don't care what any of them do off the track in their own time.

These changes are to detailed to be last minute decisions. I believe once they knew Sprint wasn't returning they started making plans for changes. Obviously they had to lock up a title sponsor before the announced any changes were happening. I'm not say I g this was decided 2 years ago but I think the ideas were floating around for changes to be made this season.

If anyone is interested, I got a seat for both days at LVMS with Neon Garage pass and two Fontana seats, both says with garage passes.
Make an offer.
I would jump on that in a heart beat if I was not driving from California to a Florida race that weekend. But, you should hang on to that ticket until you at least see if it is going to be as bad as you think it is.

I should have clarified a bit, for myself I mean when they do interviews after the race. Most of them just rattle off their sponsors like an automated message instead of expressing their real opinions. Their real feelings come out here and there when guys get really aggravated but I think we need more of that. I don't care what any of them do off the track in their own time.

Gotcha as it does get very monotonous hearing how good the Goodyear tires, Sunoco race fuel worked well on the Jimmy John's, Busch Beer, Reeces, Fram filter, Crane cams, Mountain Dew Ford today. I hope it never gets that way with stick and ball.

That will continue until the sport gets cheap enough that they can run without requiring sponsors, especially sponsors who want you to represent them to a national audience.

But that's becoming less unique to NASCAR. Look at how quickly sponsors of other athletes drop them these days when they step on their wieners. It's not likely to cost them their primary jobs, but if they want that money then they have to tippy-toe around those contractual clauses.

That will continue until the sport gets cheap enough that they can run without requiring sponsors, especially sponsors who want you to represent them to a national audience.

But that's becoming less unique to NASCAR. Look at how quickly sponsors of other athletes drop them these days when they step on their wieners. It's not likely to cost them their primary jobs, but if they want that money then they have to tippy-toe around those contractual clauses.

I don't think talking about nascar or being angry after the races would cause them any harm. Don't most athletes who lose their sponsors lose them due to legal stuff or cheating like some of the Olympic athletes and Lance Armstrong. Just trying to think of a scenario where someone lost their sponsorship to just being opinionated about the sport and race.

I personally couldn't care less about driver drama. I just want to see drivers driving really fast race cars that their hard working crew members have spent countless hours trying to perfect for them.

Two threads on this same topic is awkward. I posted in the other thread that I strongly support these new rules. I'm not happy about the competition cautions at the quarter post and at the half, but on balance, there is a lot to love, IMO.

I'm really pumped about the importance of the regular season being restored. Every race will matter in determining the champion.

I love that regular season accomplishments have lasting value that goes all the way to the Homestead finale. This enhances the chase/playoff as a meritocracy based on full year performance. Wins matter more, and so does being high up the regular season points tally. The random element - escaping racing misfortune in the chase - has been reduced substantially.

I love that the points scale is slightly more graduated at the top, a small step toward correcting NASCAR's too flat points scale. This has been my #1 complaint about Nascar for over 40 years. A baby step.

All those things I like could have been done without the two competition cautions. But they weren't. Given the whole package to like or dislike, I'm two thumbs up. How many days until Daytona?

NascarNixon has announced he won't be following or making any more NASCAR videos. NASCAR brass chased away a good one, folks!

I don't watch NA$CAR for any stupid playoffs. If it ain't broke don't go fixin it. Car racing doesn't need a playoffs. There wasn't any playoffs back in the 1980-90s and I watched every race I could. Just because the NFL and MLB have playoffs NA$CAR thinks they do too.

They really do though, for every race to mean somthing the only way to do it is with a playoff system. Now this new points system will carry over into the playoffs and reward the regular season making every race as important to the next.

They really do though, for every race to mean somthing the only way to do it is with a playoff system. Now this new points system will carry over into the playoffs and reward the regular season making every race as important to the next.

What? When there was no playoff, "every race counted". In the old points system, bad runs penalized you worse than the current system. Every race REALLY counted.

The whole reason we got stuck with "races not counting" is because we cleaned the slate after 26 races.

NASCAR created this mess by introducing a playoff format in 04'

Changes happen in every sport not just NASCAR. The NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL have all changed since the 80s-90s.

NFL has changed what a catch is, took out horse collar tackles, made the Brady rule to protect The QBs, the tuck rule, made changes to kickoffs and extra points among others.

MLB has taken out ho.e plate collisions, added playoff teams, introduced instant replay, and made the all star game count for something.

NHL has introduced shootouts, the Avery Rule, and reduced the goalie padding.

NBA, soccer, golf, tennis, college sports have all made changes over the last 20 years.

What? When there was no playoff, "every race counted". In the old points system, bad runs penalized you worse than the current system. Every race REALLY counted.

The whole reason we got stuck with "races not counting" is because we cleaned the slate after 26 races.

Not when there is a possibility of having a champion crowned before the season was over. A playoff eliminates that possibility.

Though it's not what I most wanted, this system is as close as we'll probably ever get to getting a pre 2004 vibe to a season. I'm not for fake cautions, and really not for adding points during the race. As mentioned, its not the drivers taking it easy, rather the aerodynamics of the cars. As nervous as I was throughout the past weeks, I think this is the best solution that NASCAR could come to, and honestly, better and more fair than the previous three years.

NascarNixon has announced he won't be following or making any more NASCAR videos. NASCAR brass chased away a good one, folks!

I was just standing in that helicopter a couple of weeks ago. It is permanently parked at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda Ca. What was surprising is that they still use the same style engine in the presidential helicopter that they fly today. I will get back on the topic now.:)

Last edited:
...and has been replaced by plethora of gimmicks. NASCAR has been trying to fix the '04 f-up for thirteen years.

They finally got it right moving to the playoff format. I think these new changes will make it better although I'm not sure about the stages just yet, I'll have to see how they work.

That is a terrible reason to obliterate a points championship.

No it's not. What is the point of having 36 races if a champion can possibly clinch at race 34 or 35? The original Chase didn't do a lot to change that but having a playoff does. I see no negatives in having a playoff.

They finally got it right moving to the playoff format. I think these new changes will make it better although I'm not sure about the stages just yet, I'll have to see how they work.

No it's not. What is the point of having 36 races if a champion can possibly clinch at race 34 or 35? The original Chase didn't do a lot to change that but having a playoff does. I see no negatives in having a playoff.
maxresdefault.jpg

Changes happen in every sport not just NASCAR. The NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL have all changed since the 80s-90s.

NFL has changed what a catch is, took out horse collar tackles, made the Brady rule to protect The QBs, the tuck rule, made changes to kickoffs and extra points among others.

MLB has taken out ho.e plate collisions, added playoff teams, introduced instant replay, and made the all star game count for something.

NBA, soccer, golf, tennis, college sports have all made changes over the last 20 years.

sure changes happen. but none of those sports have changed how their standings and championships are decided.

side bar.. i'm not sure why you included the avery rule in this. that's about as inconsequential a rule change as i've ever seen. only player that is really ever effected was in fact sean avery

sure changes happen. but none of those sports have changed how their standings and championships are decided.

side bar.. i'm not sure why you included the avery rule in this. that's about as inconsequential a rule change as i've ever seen. only player that is really ever effected was in fact sean avery

Adding playoff teams in baseball effects standings and making the all star game decide home field in the World Series effects the championship. NCAA football made the switch to playoff about the same time NASCAR did. The BCS was essentially a points system that decided the two best teams and now they have a 4 team playoff. As for the Avery Rule it's similar to lug nuts I feel.The rule should have always been there but for some reason was left out and chopped up to common sense.

I was just standing in that helicopter a couple of weeks ago. It is permanently parked at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda Ca. What was surprising is that they still use the same style engine in the presidential helicopter that they fly today. I will get back on the topic now.:)
I gotta know: did you strike "The Pose"?

Uhh what's the point of a 36 race season if the first 26 don't matter?

The majority of those rules changes pale in comparsion to the drastic and frequent changes NASCAR makes on a yearly basis. Imagine if the NFL made rules changes every couple years to add a 5th down, make it 9 on 9, and add a 4 point field goal. Then you could argue it's similar in nature to the changes NASCAR has made.

Also, except for the NHL, the majority of those changes suck. The NFL and MLB were better back then.

Also also, NASCAR is nothing like stick and ball sports.

Uhh what's the point of a 36 race season if the first 26 don't matter?
I personally don't understand this point. The first 26 get you in to the final 10. You don't win or perform good enough you miss the chance at a championship in the final 10. Playoff puts more of a emphasis on winning which is what racing is about.

Boy did you ever say a mouthful there my friend........

I personally don't understand this point. The first 26 get you in to the final 10. You don't win or perform good enough you miss the chance at a championship in the final 10. Playoff puts more of a emphasis on winning which is what racing is about.

This version of the championship is the closest thing to the whole season mattering, in awhile. I'll give you that.

I was more making this point:
You had a problem with the championship being wrapped up a week or two early, making the last race useless. Yet, if you win and get in, literally every race between the W and the chase is useless. Do you see the contradiction?

^ This

Back
Top Bottom