Bonehead of the Week: Daytona 500

There are so many to choose from already from Daytona overall

Michael Waltrip for spinning himself out and not qualifying for the 500
Kurt Busch for his bad block in the Nationwide race
Cole "woman basher" Whitt for taking his teammate Danica out in the Nationwide race

King in the truck race would have been another nomination for taking out Sauter but King won the race so I don't think it should count lol

I'm sure we will have quite a few more to add after todays race

I watched the Cole Whitt / Danica wreck a few times. He BARELY touches her bumper. He shouldn't have touched in the turn, but these cars seem to be way too easy to wreck.

JMO.

Gordon for attempting to wreck Kyle but instead wrecking himself....Now that was funny

I watched the Cole Whitt / Danica wreck a few times. He BARELY touches her bumper. He shouldn't have touched in the turn, but these cars seem to be way too easy to wreck.

JMO.

Had Miss Thang just turned left, she would have spun thru the infield and probably would have been able to get some new rubber and continue.

BUT, she had already met Mr. Inside Wall so...

Then you'd have people whining about the off week after Vegas. Can't win with some people.

But NASCAR and their inability to predict the weather 6 months in advance really pisses me off!

haha I know it's not their fault but they can still be nominated but for arguments sake more people would have had off on last Monday due to Presidents day though then then tomorrow. So in preparing for a possible rain delay last weekend would have been the better option, tv wise as well.

Another candidate: NASCAR for moving the Daytona 500 back a week. If they had kept it on President's Day Weekend, people would be able to stay at the track or stay home and see the race on Monday.

Everyone is a genius when it comes to hindsight.

It was a terrible move, and they had a terrible excuse for it. Claiming they'd be up against the Super Bowl if they didn't (which is horse manure)... instead, they end up against the NBA All Star Game AND the Oscars. The NFL will not extend their season.

Now, the destined most watched race in NASCAR history will be the least watched and least attended Daytona 500 in decades.

Does anyone remember the time the Super Bowl was rained out and pushed to a Monday afternoon?

Oh, that's right, that never happened.

Another candidate: NASCAR for moving the Daytona 500 back a week. If they had kept it on President's Day Weekend, people would be able to stay at the track or stay home and see the race on Monday.

Yes, and had they kept it there and it rained, you would have griped that "what a terrible week, they shoulda held it a week later"

Yes, and had they kept it there and it rained, you would have griped that "what a terrible week, they shoulda held it a week later"

Wrong. The Daytona 500 had a rain date basically fit right in before. Now, millions of fans are gonna miss it because Brian France is a damn fool.

Again, hindsight is 20/20.

To assume that most people don't have to work on Presidents Day is ridiculous. The only people I know of who don't work on Presidents Day are mailmen.

It's totally inexcusable that Brian France did not have the forethought to know that the weather could play a role when moving this race a week later. Not only that, the long standing tradition of the D500 being held on President's Day weekend has been forever tarnished. :rolleyes:

Andy, you're the Jack Roush of racing-forums...no matter what you say, people are going to disgree with you.

Throw a bowtie in your avitar and you'll see much higher compliance ;)

It's totally inexcusable that Brian France did not have the forethought to know that the weather could play a role when moving this race a week later. Not only that, the long standing tradition of the D500 being held on President's Day weekend has been forever tarnished. :rolleyes:

I think that Nascar is too well established to let themselves be pushed out of any weekend by another event. I volunteer at a small community bingo and every time there is another event planned in the community , some fool on the committee wonders if we should change our bingo.No damn way . If it worried the other people they would change theirs . I said in another thread , if you let yourself be pushed out of Sunday afternoon to Monday night , you aren't going to be stayin long before you try Tuesday.

Avoiding running against the Superbowl makes good business sense. I am sure Fox and the sponsors were all in agreement.

Back
Top Bottom