Bonehead of the Week: Daytona 500

A Bonehead poster of the week would be a good one.

Avoiding running against the Superbowl makes good business sense. I am sure Fox and the sponsors were all in agreement.

Here's what I don't understand though, the Superbowl was February 5th, last Sunday was February 19th. When was there ever going to be a conflict?

Here's what I don't understand though, the Superbowl was February 5th, last Sunday was February 19th. When was there ever going to be a conflict?

No idea. I was just looking at the Superbowl dates and I can''t find where the conflict would have occurred. I think moving the date back was more for the purpose of closing up that early off week and I'm glad they did that.

The bottom line is if that storm system had been 50 miles north we'd not even be discussing it. It was just an unfortunate occurrence.

No idea. I was just looking at the Superbowl dates and I can''t find where the conflict would have occurred. I think moving the date back was more for the purpose of closing up that early off week and I'm glad they did that.

The bottom line is if that storm system had been 50 miles north we'd not even be discussing it. It was just an unfortunate occurrence.

I agree ,we are 50miles south and it missed us . I think there was talk on this forum about the move away from the traditional President's Day Weekend long before the race though.

Your reasoning is unsound, Andy, and you blame of Brian France (at least in this situation) is unfounded. Yes, Brian France moved it to the week later. However, as far back as 1994, there was a race the following weekend (first in Rock, then in Fontana, now in Phoenix), which did NOT leave a built-in rain date.

A ****** in Phoenix is just not the same as the Daytona 500.

The way I understood it, there was the possibility of the Superbowl moving back a week because of the potential late starting date of the season due to the lockout.

The way I understood it, there was the possibility of the Superbowl moving back a week because of the potential late starting date of the season due to the lockout.

The problem was that the Super Bowl was not ever going to be moved back. The plan was to expand the regular season by eliminating two pre-season games and starting the season earlier.

Brian France is an idiot.

Why is it such a big deal that this race got moved? I'm all for a shorter season so it being moved later suits me fine. I'd rather see it shortened on the other side though. I'd much rather it be over before the first week of the NFL regular season. We can't really be talking about this just because of the rain delay, right? Questioning the weather related issues and the later start to the season seems to me to be a foolish argument.

First off, what ever happened to the "I'm going to be less negative" Andy? Guess that one gave up....

Second, this is the first time in history that the race had to be postponed. And if it weren't for light at Daytona now, it would have had to be postponed again.

I'm guessing that some people are of the "it's all the race promoter's fault" crowd, no matter what the circumstances. If a race gets rainged out and cancelled, you say the promoter should have done more to get it in, and then if the promoter does all he can to get it in and isn't able to, you gripe that he shouldve known that the rain wasn't going to stop.

Andy, you gripe about the new KuBu vs the old KuBu, and now we have to put up with the new Andy vs the old Andy.

First off, what ever happened to the "I'm going to be less negative" Andy? Guess that one gave up....

Second, this is the first time in history that the race had to be postponed. And if it weren't for light at Daytona now, it would have had to be postponed again.

I'm guessing that some people are of the "it's all the race promoter's fault" crowd, no matter what the circumstances. If a race gets rainged out and cancelled, you say the promoter should have done more to get it in, and then if the promoter does all he can to get it in and isn't able to, you gripe that he shouldve known that the rain wasn't going to stop.

Andy, you gripe about the new KuBu vs the old KuBu, and now we have to put up with the new Andy vs the old Andy.
speak for yourself. I have no problem with most of andy's posts.

From NASCAR.COM:

http://www.nascar.com/news/110220/daytona-500-date-2010/index.html?sc_cid=t145725

By Official Release February 20, 2011 5:00 PM, EST

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The Daytona 500 will take place one week later in 2012, on the final Sunday in February, NASCAR has announced.

The race weekend is being pushed one week back from the traditional President's Day weekend to the final weekend in February. The date for the Daytona 500 is Feb. 26, 2012. To maintain the end of season schedule, the off Sprint Cup weekend typically scheduled in March will now be eliminated.

"When we look at the schedule in general, we've historically had an off week in that fourth week, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that hurts our momentum throughout the season. By being able to move the date back a week, we close up that off week, [and] NASCAR's able to keep the momentum throughout the season, which is great," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations.

The decision to kick off the NASCAR racing season one week later was made in close partnership with the sanctioning body, its broadcast partners including Fox, community partners and others within the industry. The rationale is three-pronged: 1. It shortens the racing season by one week; 2. It maintains momentum in the early part of racing season (TV viewership, media coverage, fan interest, etc.); 3. It's a better opportunity for fans as it moves the race further away from the "Daytona 500" of football held in early February.

O'Donnell added the move was made partly in advance of a potentially expanded NFL schedule.

"We're not going to deny the fact that part of this also is in dealing with the NFL. Who knows where they'll go with an 18-game schedule, but we want to get ahead of that. Either way, we think it's the right thing to do for our season," O'Donnell said. The Super Bowl is certainly a big event, but so is the Daytona 500, and to give fans an opportunity to go to both of those is certainly the right move."

Since fans like to plan their Daytona 500 trip well in advance, NASCAR is announcing the 2012 date much earlier in the season to minimize any inconveniences in planning their visit. Other schedule announcements for Daytona International Speedway, including Speedweeks, and other race facilities will be determined and announced at a later date.

"That's something that we'll develop with NASCAR as we work through this," Daytona president Joie Chitwood said. "I think the key [Sunday] was to make sure our fans knew that the event was moving back one week next year. We'll cycle through and deal with the Duels and the Shootout and all those things that go around Speedweeks."

The Budweiser Shootout has preceded the 500 by eight days, with the Gatorade Duel 150 qualifying races on that Thursday the week of 500.

Chitwood also said the Rolex 24 Grand-Am season opener, held on the last weekend of January this year, likely will move forward by one week, but that's contingent on discussions with the Daytona Beach Chamber of Commerce and the scheduling of bike weeks, an annual event that attracts motorcyclists from across the country.

"If I were to speculate, I'm sure that we'll cycle those back, as well, but we'll work with the chamber of commerce and the city of Daytona Beach to make sure bike weeks [typically the two weeks after the Daytona 500] have their spot on the calendar, as well," Chitwood said.

Sporting News Wire Service contributed to this report.

^ Also stupid. Now, you don't have that open weekend if Daytona gets washed out entirely.

HINT: Several days of rain like this isn't unusual in the Orlando-Daytona-Jacksonville region this time of year.

^ Also stupid. Now, you don't have that open weekend if Daytona gets washed out entirely.

HINT: Several days of rain like this isn't unusual in the Orlando-Daytona-Jacksonville region this time of year.

Which is why this is the first time in history that the Daytona 500 has been postponed. And close to 90% of the 500 have NOT been shortened by rain.

You are acting like this has ruined your life. Get grip, man.

Which is why this is the first time in history that the Daytona 500 has been postponed. And close to 90% of the 500 have NOT been shortened by rain.

It was a stupid series of reasons to move it. It didn't make sense a year ago and it doesn't make sense now.

And when people say the season should be shortened, they don't mean, "take away one weekend off and start the season later." They mean, end the season sooner.

Regardless, I'll be missing Daytona, was pulled from Southern National (for reasons that do actually make sense)... so, 12 days until South Boston and the first race of the year.

It was a stupid series of reasons to move it. It didn't make sense a year ago and it doesn't make sense now.

And when people say the season should be shortened, they don't mean, "take away one weekend off and start the season later." They mean, end the season sooner.

Regardless, I'll be missing Daytona, was pulled from Southern National (for reasons that do actually make sense)... so, 12 days until South Boston and the first race of the year.
You are acting like this has ruined your life. Get grip, man.

Like he said, get over it. Regardless of how badly pissed off you are, the race was moved. You can only whine so much before it gets old. And you've crossed that threshold.

If read objectively, NASCAR and the plethora of entities involved in making the decision to switch the date of the 500, it was a very sound and sensible decision. There is just no way to account for weather. But hey, stuff happens. And for all of those who are going to miss the race on TV tonight for whatever reason there are just as many or more that are going to be able to watch the race. It all balances out.

But enough already. This has been beaten to death. We should just be able to agree to disagree on this and move on. None of us is going to change our stance at this point. :)

From NASCAR.COM:

http://www.nascar.com/news/110220/daytona-500-date-2010/index.html?sc_cid=t145725

By Official Release February 20, 2011 5:00 PM, EST

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The Daytona 500 will take place one week later in 2012, on the final Sunday in February, NASCAR has announced.

The race weekend is being pushed one week back from the traditional President's Day weekend to the final weekend in February. The date for the Daytona 500 is Feb. 26, 2012. To maintain the end of season schedule, the off Sprint Cup weekend typically scheduled in March will now be eliminated.

"When we look at the schedule in general, we've historically had an off week in that fourth week, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that hurts our momentum throughout the season. By being able to move the date back a week, we close up that off week, [and] NASCAR's able to keep the momentum throughout the season, which is great," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations.

And why couldn't NA$CAR move up the schedule so the season closes a week sooner?

According to the article, the NFL was seriously considering expanding their season to 18 games which could have potentially pushed the Superbowl back a couple weeks. NASCAR and all other interested parties decided to be pro-active and make sure there was no conflict and also take care of that annoying March off week.

The bottom line is not matter what NASCAR does there will always be people throwing tantrums about it on a message board somewhere. Some people seems so miserable in regards to NASCAR that I am surprised they even bother watching.

Again, when people say they want a shorter season, they mean less races. 36 races is just too much. Sometimes, less is more. Example: NFL and college football.

Those people are bat **** insane we already complain about 3 months off let alone what 6 would do.

Those people are bat **** insane we already complain about 3 months off let alone what 6 would do.

People wait 7 months for the NFL. They have it right, the season isn't too long (people anticipate every game), they have downtime and it's not so short that it's done and over with. NBA, MLB, NHL are just way too long.

People wait 7 months for the NFL. They have it right, the season isn't too long (people anticipate every game), they have downtime and it's not so short that it's done and over with. NBA, MLB, NHL are just way too long.

I would never complain about more races. I hate the off-season. Same thing goes with the NHL for me.

You can say oh it will be so much better as much as you want but we all know people would bitch like people always bitch everytime NASCAR sneezes. Bring back the 60 race schedule in my opinion.

Baby steps

I can make it through the rain out trauma one step at a time.

I can be happy for one minute today.

Tomorrow I will be happy for 65 seconds.

I will show Brain France, he can keep on hiring his people to ruin and destroy my life, but I will survive.

Maybe one day I can be nice to puppies, smile at a girl just for a moment. You know them bull**** idiot powers in NASCAR should be incarcerated for the afflictions they have aimed at me. I tell you it is a hard life in the rained out gulag they designed for my suffering.

Baby steps it is just to much, so.....

Just baby step no baby steps

Will trying to be happy just 30 seconds today. Don't laugh at my suffering, I can't wipe the tears away, Brian let it rain on all my handkerchiefs too.

BTW did I ever tell you about Tebow being an idiot too, or about the stupid people that can't see problems the way I do.
I can smell the 2013 problems now.....I am gifted.
you can learn to hear, smell, see, and just go crazy with me too in the racing gulag if you try.
Don't listen to the listen to the happy idiots....they can't even see the problems I see.....

Back
Top Bottom