Bonehead of the Week: Pocono

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
Landon Cassill doesn't belong in a Cup car.

I can't really say Mark's slip cost him because Logano would've put a bumper to him either way.

Also got to nominate TNT and Jimmie Johnson for the whining over pit road penalties. The drivers should NOT have the "right" to know where they can speed on pit road.

Also got to nominate TNT and Jimmie Johnson for the whining over pit road penalties. The drivers should NOT have the "right" to know where they can speed on pit road.
NASCAR obviously needs to address this. The pit road speed limit should encompass ALL of pit road, not just selected parts.

NASCAR obviously needs to address this. The pit road speed limit should encompass ALL of pit road, not just selected parts.

I agree. But this is the system they have and, as it stands, the drivers and teams think they have the right to know where the loops are. Because of TNT's outrage, they were told where the loops are. NASCAR knows that drivers are speeding between the segments and said earlier this year they would try to address it. Now that they are, the media thinks the drivers should essentially have the right to know how to break the rules.

Martin and Dale JR

It's totally my opinion but I believe Logano would've wrecked him if Mark didn't make that slip. Logano already laid a bumper to him. Logano's proven time and time again in Nationwide that he'd wreck anybody to win. Mark finished second and that's the best he was going to finish racing someone like Logano (who had the better car anyways) for the win. Not really sure that's worthy of "Bonehead" when drivers were whining about getting caught breaking the rules and another driver (Kahne) took himself out of contention by racing dirty. But, again, completely my opinion.

Nascar moved the line. It is the teams fault for not checking the diagram they hand out but the bigger fault lies with na$car for not stressing the move. 18 speeding penalties? Bull.

Nascar moved the line. It is the teams fault for not checking the diagram they hand out but the bigger fault lies with na$car for not stressing the move. 18 speeding penalties? Bull.
Why should there be a line. Shouldn't that line start at one end of pit road and end at the other end of pit road? If there's usually a cop at mile marker 250, but that cop moves to mile marker 260, should the state police inform you first? Bull.

Drivers wouldn't have to worry about pit speeds if they did like the 1st stock cars did, they had speedometers. The the drivers would know how fast they were going on pit lane, always.

Don't have a clue who was the bonehead of the race I was watching the best race of the day, F1 in Canada.

Drivers wouldn't have to worry about pit speeds if they did like the 1st stock cars did, they had speedometers. The the drivers would know how fast they were going on pit lane, always.

Don't have a clue who was the bonehead of the race I was watching the best race of the day, F1 in Canada.

Tachometers or speedometers, the drivers are going to go exactly 5mph over the limit... actually, they're going to try to go 5.1 mph over.

People seem to think that nascar can create a 1/4 mile speed trap at every ttrack, or have 43 radar guns.

I like it the way it is. The other option is pit road limiters, which takes no skill to operate.

People seem to think that nascar can create a 1/4 mile speed trap at every ttrack, or have 43 radar guns.

I like it the way it is. The other option is pit road limiters, which takes no skill to operate.
There has to be a better way though. I don't think anyone is clamouring for 43 radar guns, but dammit, the drivers should know that if they go over the speed limit (which they DO know when they're doing), they should know that a penalty could be forthcoming, regardless of where they are when they do it. If they move the scoring loop from point A to point B, they shouldn't have to tell the drivers. The only thing NASCAR should have to do is to drive them down pit road before the race at the pit road speed limit (which they do) and let the drivers know what their tach is at that speed (which they also do.) The problem is, they loops they use are at the same place, and the drivers are abusing that.

There has to be a better way though. I don't think anyone is clamouring for 43 radar guns, but dammit, the drivers should know that if they go over the speed limit (which they DO know when they're doing), they should know that a penalty could be forthcoming, regardless of where they are when they do it. If they move the scoring loop from point A to point B, they shouldn't have to tell the drivers. The only thing NASCAR should have to do is to drive them down pit road before the race at the pit road speed limit (which they do) and let the drivers know what their tach is at that speed (which they also do.) The problem is, they loops they use are at the same place, and the drivers are abusing that.

Exactly. And they were busted today. Drivers are going to complain and, in the heat of the moment, drivers are going to say they did nothing wrong. That's nothing new. But TNT saying it was NASCAR's fault simply because, "Jimmie Johnson doesn't make mistakes", is what's got me a little miffed. No matter how many ways you try to blame NASCAR, speeding is speeding and they were going at least 5.1 mph over the speed limit.

The drivers are going to complain if they're busted, which they did. The fans are going to complain if their driver is busted, which they did. The media's going to complain if Jimmie Johnson is busted for speeding, which they did.

The system isn't broke.

The drivers are going to complain if they're busted, which they did. The fans are going to complain if their driver is busted, which they did. The media's going to complain if Jimmie Johnson is busted for speeding, which they did.

The system isn't broke.

I complained and my driver wasn't busted, I just feel something was up if it was RIGHT at the same place for each driver.

I complained and my driver wasn't busted, I just feel something was up if it was RIGHT at the same place for each driver.
It was. And the drivers, none of them, should know where that "right" place is. The only "right" place should be from the entrance of pit road to the exit of pit road.

My driver WAS busted and I'm not complaining about it at all. Kevin Harvick broke the rules and Kevin Harvick was penalized. I can't fault NASCAR for that.

So all of the spots were moved yet they only got busted in ONE spot, I agree they don't need to be speeding or get to know where the spots are as it should be all of pit road but for it to be ONE spot they bust them when supposedly ALL of them have been moved seems quite fishy to me but that's my opinion and I'm allowed it just like you're allowed yours which I agree on to a point anyway.

Like Andy said why should the teams know where all the segments are? That's like telling all us drivers where every speed trap is on every highway in the US. If it is a set speed of 55 mph on pit road all the drivers had to do was maintain the correct RPM and they wouldn't of got busted. It's like everything else in Nascar, there is a gray area where every team stretches things and usually gets caught.

The system isn't broke.

Wasn't it JJ's team that figured out they can go 10 over when they pick a pit space inside a segment? Reason being speed = distance over time...pit stop makes time...same distance, longer time, can speed in said segment

So all of the spots were moved yet they only got busted in ONE spot, I agree they don't need to be speeding or get to know where the spots are as it should be all of pit road but for it to be ONE spot they bust them when supposedly ALL of them have been moved seems quite fishy to me but that's my opinion and I'm allowed it just like you're allowed yours which I agree on to a point anyway.

10 drivers were busted in one spot. Three drivers were busted in another spot (two drivers busted in at least two segments). 10, not 43, 10. And they were going above 60.1 mph. That's 33 other drivers who were able to leave pit road going the speed limit or, likely, going 5 mph above the speed limit.

Wasn't it JJ's team that figured out they can go 10 over when they pick a pit space inside a segment? Reason being speed = distance over time...pit stop makes time...same distance, longer time, can speed in said segment

Take your facts and go elsewhere with them. This is a, "NASCAR is evil and screwed Jimmie Johnson" bitchfest. ;)

I (kinda) predicted a bump and run today, and we sure got it.
Logano had the faster car, I think if he waited another lap or two he would of had his opportunity to pass Mark anyway. Just shows Joeys' lack of patience and immaturity IMO.

Like Andy said why should the teams know where all the segments are? That's like telling all us drivers where every speed trap is on every highway in the US. If it is a set speed of 55 mph on pit road all the drivers had to do was maintain the correct RPM and they wouldn't of got busted. It's like everything else in Nascar, there is a gray area where every team stretches things and usually gets caught.

The only reason we're talking about it is because TNT faulted NASCAR because, "Jimmie Johnson doesn't make mistakes" and "Harvick wouldn't lie like that".

As Mag pointed out, JJ has a history of pushing it on pit road. ESPN caught him one time and even screamed for a penalty. His act finally backfired. As for Harvick, how many races has he lost making boneheaded moves on pit road?

Logano had the faster car, I think if he waited another lap or two he would of had his opportunity to pass Mark anyway. Just shows Joeys' lack of patience and immaturity IMO.

Yep. And I honestly believe the slip by Mark allowed him to finish second. If Logano wasn't able to make a clean pass in the next lap or two, I believe he would've dumped him.

As for the Bonehead, I have to go with Kasey for driving in too hard in turn 4 with the end result being a cut tire.

My driver WAS busted and I'm not complaining about it at all. Kevin Harvick broke the rules and Kevin Harvick was penalized. I can't fault NASCAR for that.

Andy, you've been defending Nascar in one way or another since this all started so I have to ask, how much have you had to drink? :D

I actually like all the boneheads mentioned in this thread and they're very deserving. I'm gonna nominate Allan Gustafson for bringing the 24 car in for fuel. This team needs to roll the dice and try to get some wins. He should've taken his chances.

Oh give me a flockin break. When you have the chancee to make your move you take it. If he'd not done it and not had the chance to do it later you'd be ripping him fir not having the balls to go for a win. Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom