Bowman Grey on Discovery Channel

They did it years ago on SPEED and it kinda was. The Myers were always feuding with another guy. And then there was the racing. Eh I'm going to watch it whatever, that little bitty track is a royal PITA to race on.

Last edited:
Yes, Madhouse was way too over the top. Then again, Bowman Gray is way too over the top.

Dirt Knights that airs on MavTV that follows midwestern modifieds (USMTS and IMCA) is pretty well done and more my speed.

I watched the premiere, I thought it was a much better production than the old show. They went a little deeper into the cars and setups and the rules of how the race is run there. Burt Myers hasn't changed. :D

Wasn't a bad show, but I wish Discovery would show something more interesting, like life on the road with the World of Outlaws or some sh!t like that instead of drama racing (not that I don't like that aspect of Bowman Gray).

I going to see how it pans out, I hope it doesn't go the way of so many car shows with a bunch of arguing and tool throwing. Show the setups, the strategy, film the racing really well, and the result, leave out as much of the childish B.S. as possible. They had much more in car, spotter, crew, and driver talk than the last time they did this. Photography was much better during the race also, I hope they build on that.

I going to see how it pans out, I hope it doesn't go the way of so many car shows with a bunch of arguing and tool throwing. Show the setups, the strategy, film the racing really well, and the result, leave out as much of the childish B.S. as possible. They had much more in car, spotter, crew, and driver talk than the last time they did this. Photography was much better during the race also, I hope they build on that.
It was okay but I have hopes that It'll improve over time. At least they started out on a better note, as you say, than last time.

Pretty cool, I just wonder how interesting the show is to "outsiders"

Wasn't a bad show, but I wish Discovery would show something more interesting, like life on the road with the World of Outlaws or some sh!t like that instead of drama racing (not that I don't like that aspect of Bowman Gray).
Trouble is, with a flat narrow track they can't really race - so all they have to market is drama.
At least, so far, they have the drivers admitting that starting on the pole is the main thing.. and that pole winners usually lead the whole race.
You have to wreck somebody in order to pass them. That's why I don't try to race there and rarely go there to watch, despite it being the track closest to me.

Also don't miss the games and crying that teams do over there. Was funny (but typical) to watch the drivers wait until the last minutes to qualify for the 200 lapper... and whine when they ran out of time. Also funny hearing the early season boasting, when we know how the season went.

Episode #2 was very entertaining. The 2-25 lappers with a pill draw to partially invert the field was a new on me. Much better than the old show.

Episode #2 was very entertaining. The 2-25 lappers with a pill draw to partially invert the field was a new on me. Much better than the old show.
I watched it too, and agree that the new show is better than the Madhouse show... although I wonder if it is a little too dry to have much staying power with casual viewers or TV executives...

Bowman Gray has been doing the pill draw inversion (for twin races) for years. They've done it in different ways and with different numbers, but the drivers are used to trying to win the first race via the pole and then hoping for luck in the second race. You know, I don't remember seeing it on the Madhouse show - but the track was doing it back then too.

Reactions: sky
Yeah Jr Miller was the guy.
Pretty sure that Jr Miller finally retired, although he could show up once in a while.
I think Johnathon Brown has inherited that team, but don't hold me to that.

A Discovery Channel TV show following the WoO. That is actually an incredible idea. They have no ties to any network so why tf not? Even if it's just crews following for a couple months, there is so fuggin much they can document any given season. This would be HUGE.

Deadliest Catch-style television with sprint car trophies instead of crabs. Uhhhhh yeah.

I have the series set to DVR. I'll watch it later today.

Bad-Ace show! Glad this came on this year. This is the first year I've missed every race at BGS in quite some time

I've never been there and not sure that I want to go. It seems like more drama than actual racing for position.

I've never been there and not sure that I want to go. It seems like more drama than actual racing for position.
Far as entertainment value is concerned it's worth every penny of $10. I'm well aware that purists and Body fabricators don't like it. Name another short track that gets 17,000 butts in the seats every week.

Far as entertainment value is concerned it's worth every penny of $10. I'm well aware that purists and Body fabricators don't like it. Name another short track that gets 17,000 butts in the seats every week.
The drama (and drama queens) is what fills the stands today. Back in the late 1980s the stands were 80% empty. Train races, can't pass without wrecking somebody, drivers refusing to obey track officials, fights in the pits, fights in the stands. It was a mess. Meanwhile the other tracks in the area were pulling good fields of cars and great numbers of fans.

Not sure if they changed promoters or not, but the current promoter pumps the drama. Still have train races, can't pass without wrecking somebody, drivers refusing to obey track officials, fights in the pits, fights in the stands - but they're appealing to fans who like to see blood. They even promote driver rivalries like they are prize fight bouts. Plus, unlike other tracks, they advertise.

Around the same time some of the other tracks fell off due to poor management decisions and changes, and an unofficial area dirt track circuit (Oak Level or Ace on Friday, 311 or Friendship on Saturday, and Wilson on Sunday) fell apart. Oak Level closed / reopened / closed again, Ace and Friendship got paved (Friendship temporarily), and Wilson closed. That caused dirt teams and fans to look elsewhere, which helped Bowman-Gray. The Southern Modified Tour (which has changed names a few times) also bolstered the modifieds because it extended their season (B-G starts late and ends early). Caraway got NASCAR sanctioned, which generated higher fees and car costs - and also diverted some teams and fans to B-G.

B-G is one of those thrills that you should try once... then decide if that is enough. You can sit low in the stands and feel cars whiz by just a few feet away. Admission is $12 (adults) and the concessions are pretty good and reasonably priced. You can actually buy a professionally printed program. The facility is well maintained. Most of the teams hang out with fans in the pits after the races, and B-G doesn't turn the lights out minutes after the racing is over. If you have kids you might not want to sit along the front stretch - that's where most of the rowdies sit. Most of the time whomever on the front row manages to get through turns 1 and 2 first on the first lap will lead the whole race. Typically it's follow-the-leader after two or three laps. You will see cars intentionally take other cars out. About a 50% chance that after a wreck a driver will exit his car and try to fight another driver - on the track. The Madhouse show televised it all... the new show not so much (so far).

If you have not been you have not experienced the passion of everyone involved, fans and competitors alike. Many fans adorn their driver's gear and will erupt in the cheer or a boo depending on who goes by or gets their name called. The fact that these guys, almost all of them work a 40 hour a week job like you and me, work on their cars all week and fight tooth and nail for every single inch of what's perhaps the tightest track in the country, it's America's last true gladiators entering the arena in their 700hp war machines ready to do battle. It's a throwback to the DIY outlaw world of old school stock car racing that you just won't find in the national touring series and it's NOT for everyone. If you're easily offended by a wreck, a fight or some choice words or one finger salutes maybe you shouldn't go or at least don't sit in turn 4. There's plenty of times you might say "what the hell did he do that for!?" When something outrageous happens but it's like a drug.. and you have to go back next week to see if they return the favor or just flat-out beat the guy messing them up last week. Some of the Hatfield/McCoy type rivalries quite literally span generations going all the way back to the 50s and 60s. The season is short (late april-august) and it always leaves fans wanting more. There is absolutely nothing else in the world like a race night @ BGS and the loyal fans that continue to patronize the historic venue would like to keep it that way.

I think they are doing a good job of portraying that this year. The last time it was about a bunch of piddly talking about each other and very little racing. This year so far the race is the centerpiece of the show.

Reactions: sky
Looks like they've taken it off the air, although apparently you can see it online.

From the Winston-Salem Journal:

‘Race Night at Bowman Gray’ show moves to Discover Go app
  • Staff report 14 hrs ago
“Race Night at Bowman Gray” will no longer appear on the Discovery Channel’s airwaves. The weekly show which had been airing on Monday nights was moved to the channel’s app.

Chelsea Dutchik, a publicist for the Discovery Channel, said the remaining episodes will be available for viewing on the Discover GO app. Viewers need a login for a cable provider to watch.
There was no official reason given when asked why the show will no longer be aired.

“Our programming department likes to make changes that go with the flow of everything so there is no official reason or anything like that,” Dutchik said.

Last night they ran a repeat of a Street Outlaws "no prep" race instead, without saying anything about the Bowman Gray show.
I suppose the new show didn't show enough drama.

****** bull****! No telling this came from some unplugged piece of **** from the other shore.

I'd like to see them do this type of show about Stafford and the Sks. So much history, and you can actually pass at Stafford without bumping someone out of the way. I watched the Madhouse series and wasn't very impressed with a tight 1/4 mile with only one lane racing. To me it was boring.

The modifieds are about dead anyway except to a small area in the N.E. I guess there wasn't enough interest in the program. Taking it off without any notice? I signed up for the app, and they only have three episodes that have already been shown of Race Night At Bowman Grey. :confused:

The modifieds are about dead anyway except to a small area in the N.E. I guess there wasn't enough interest in the program. Taking it off without any notice? I signed up for the app, and they only have three episodes that have already been shown of Race Night At Bowman Grey. :confused:
I don't think the Mods are dead, they just don't promote them in the south like they should, or put good purse money.

Not many tracks run modifieds in the South, and now the Whelen Tour only starts their season in the South (first two races) and then never returns. Many teams and drivers don't get much experience outside of their home tracks, and the Bowman-Gray teams learn to get good using setups that won't work anywhere else. Used to be painfully obvious when they had modified races at Martinsville - local teams would struggle to make the field, and northern teams would dominate. The Southern Modified Tour helped fix that somewhat.

I'm thinking about going to watch the Modifieds at Bowman Grey Stadium Sat night. Does anyone know if that is a good race, or is there any sprint cars racing on dirt within a 100 mile radius from Charlotte this Saturday?

I'm thinking about going to watch the Modifieds at Bowman Grey Stadium Sat night. Does anyone know if that is a good race, or is there any sprint cars racing on dirt within a 100 mile radius from Charlotte this Saturday?

It's probably pretty good for a local show. I doubt there are any sprint races in the region... Probably the best race in the region on saturday is the PASS Super Late Models 150 lap race at Hickory NC.

It's probably pretty good for a local show. I doubt there are any sprint races in the region... Probably the best race in the region on saturday is the PASS Super Late Models 150 lap race at Hickory NC.
Thanks for the info toledo47.

It is worth the 12 dollars (used to be 10) to buy a ticket at BGS. Just watch the weather if they rain-out there aren't any shows on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom