Brett Griffin: Garage talk is that AllStar package being used at all tracks next season

not really it is funny that all of this blinding speed so hard to drive and they have been using a tapered spacer for years. Still can't pass but it is better with the slower speeds.;)

I appreciate the Xfinity and Trucks series for what they are as support series lower on the development ladder. I'm not someone who watches those races and ever, ever pines for Cup to be more like it. So what I believe is necessary and best for a lower division has almost nothing to do with what I prefer the Cup series to be.

yeah I would change the subject too, hard to explain going slower since 2015 has produced better racing by many opinions around here.

I know it is hard to grasp, but developing and casting a new smaller engine would cost tons of money. restricting airflow as they have done across the board is the easiest, cheapest, and the most effective for all of the series.
No...
Crate motors ate readily available.

yeah I would change the subject too, hard to explain going slower since 2015 has produced better racing by many opinions around here.

I'm not avoiding anything. Downforce reductions since 2014 and 2015 are the primary reason for that.

I'm not eager to read the response about how they haven't actually decreased downforce or it was all gained back, even though that's not what any reported evidence states. Getting fairly tired of countering the up is down / day is night arguments, so I'll step away. You could just say you like lower power / higher downforce racing better, and there is no argument against that, because it's a subjective matter of entertainment. That's fine.

Last edited:
Some 'bright' mind in the NASCAR headquarters must have thought: "you know what? The races with the best ratings are the restrictor plates ones. Let's give them more of those..."

like others have written, this is the last straw for me too. I am done. You get to the point where enough is enough.
I will start paying more attention to Indycar and ARCA (before NASCAR ruins it too)

They have been using tapered spacers for years, it's like somebody woke up one morning in a new world. 2015 for the cup cars, since 08 for the Xfinities.

This is from 2015:
Tapered Spacers
The big impetus for engine rule changes is NASCAR’s desire to lower speeds (which, it is theorized, will improve racing by lessening the effect of aerodynamics making it hard to pass when cars get close to each other).

There are lots of ways to decrease engine horsepower, but remember that teams have put untold amounts of money into designing and refining the current engines. Designing entirely new engines is a major undertaking, and a risk to mandate without pretty high confidence that lower horsepower will indeed help the quality of racing.

For 2015 NASCAR has gone with the simplest solution: a 1.170 tapered spacer that they expect will reduce power by about 125 hp.

Had NASCAR not had their heads up their butt, the decrease in overall engine power SHOULD have been accomplished LONG ago. Robert Yates was advocating this 20 years ago. Back in the 90's Ford and GM had all the needed parts for a 300CID NASCAR engine right on the shelf (The SCCA Trans AM engines were 310 CID max) and the cost would have been minimal. At the VERY least, it should have been accomplished in the last design cycle of NASCAR engines,(The R07, The FR9 and the Toyota) where the extra cost would have been minimal. I maintain the ultimate direction should be to get NASCAR back to production based engines and get away from these ridiculous specialized engines that have no practical application anywhere else and are so far removed from production engines. The production based engines used in IMSA would be an obvious starting point, especially since Roush Yates and ECR are current suppliers, and TRD was in the recent past.

Well, that's one way to bring down the house a day after an event that got most people excited and brought some viewership back.

Like an epic dream and an alarm clock

Fans like

tenor.gif

He's also been watching short track racing, open wheel racing, and used to race in Alabama.

But go on and tell me more about how he doesn't know anything...
when he gets an engineering degree or learns how to figure the difference between the flow rates of a flat plate and a tapered spacer call me.

Also , a tapered spacer would be worse. It would still slow the cars down and make them too equal without really tightening the field up. Would be no different that the Xfinity races.

The tapered spacer slows the cars down. This common sense doesn't require an engineering degree to figure out.
that works for folks who don't know a whole lot about the differences, just that they slow the car down. It's a good idea for some instead of voicing their opinions to wait until the finished product. Most of them have never seen a carburetor venturi or how it functions, much less know how to manipulate Bernoulli's principle.

that works for folks who don't know a whole lot about the differences, just that they slow the car down. It's a good idea for some instead of voicing their opinions to wait until the finished product. Most of them have never seen a carburetor venturi or how it functions, much less know how to manipulate Bernoulli's principle.

You put a restrictor or spacer plate on the car and you can hold it wide open in the corners, reducing the role handling plays. This isn't rocket science.

The **** NASCAR wants to do is what we do in kids classes of racing for them to learn to race, not in the majors.

And I too have driven a race car.

You put a restrictor or spacer plate on the car and you can hold it wide open in the corners, reducing the role handling plays. This isn't rocket science.

The sh!t NASCAR wants to do is what we do in kids classes of racing for them to learn to race, not in the majors.

some people can't tell the difference between races on highly banked super speedways with a flat plate and a 1.5 or a 2 mile Indy track without the banking where they do lift in the corners with a plate and not the tapered spacer they are going to use and they did get strung out. Or the scientific method of experimentation. None of us have seen the finished engineering product.

some people can't tell the difference between races on highly banked super speedways with a flat plate and a 1.5 or a 2 mile Indy track without the banking where they do lift in the corners with a plate and not the tapered spacer they are going to use and they did get strung out. Or the scientific method of experimentation. None of us have seen the finished engineering product.
Yeh we have...Dega and Daytona and we don't want any more of that crap.

You want to slow the car down why restrict a 750hp engine? Let's go with a 500hp engine unrestricted, no spacer, why is this so difficult?

Yeh we have...Dega and Daytona and we don't want any more of that crap.

I don't have a clue what "we" are going to get, but like I said, it is all over but the crying for some already.

You want to slow the car down why restrict a 750hp engine? Let's go with a 500hp engine unrestricted, no spacer, why is this so difficult?
again? :XXROFL:here ya go cut and paste.
Tapered Spacers
The big impetus for engine rule changes is NASCAR’s desire to lower speeds (which, it is theorized, will improve racing by lessening the effect of aerodynamics making it hard to pass when cars get close to each other).

There are lots of ways to decrease engine horsepower, but remember that teams have put untold amounts of money into designing and refining the current engines. Designing entirely new engines is a major undertaking, and a risk to mandate without pretty high confidence that lower horsepower will indeed help the quality of racing.

For 2015 NASCAR has gone with the simplest solution: a 1.170 tapered spacer that they expect will reduce power by about 125 hp.

The unfortunate thing is the pack racing seems to sell to the casuals.

I don't have a clue what "we" are going to get, but like I said, it is all over but the crying for some already.

again? :XXROFL:here ya go cut and paste.
Tapered Spacers

For 2019: a tapered space we believe will be unveiled tomorrow that they expect will reduce power by an additional 300+ hp. I hope to God I'm wrong.

whatever it is, if it is like the truck spec motor that was supposed to be 40 or 50 HP more than what the factories were racing, Moffitt running the only Toyota factory motor for all of the races has won 4 races since. Gilliland and Gragson up at Canadian tire ran away from the pack with a couple of Toyota motors they broke out for the race. Point being, they will find more horsepower than the baseline rating whatever it is I believe. Penske said when interviewed after the Roval, there hasn't been a week go by when they haven't added something new to his cars and they have vrand new cars for the rest of the season. He said that is the way the industry is. $$ They are pushing the reset button.

Although we have not seen the finished product I think it is fine to speculate and weigh in on the impact of next year's package on the races. I don't think slowing the cars down and removing driver skill will invigorate the sport and be the catylist to get new fans. My concern is that the new package could further alienate longtime fans and cause then to walk away. I'm not a sky is falling kind of guy but NASCAR can't afford more blunders.

The sh!t NASCAR wants to do is what we do in kids classes of racing for them to learn to race, not in the majors.

Richard Petty driving experience with Cup drivers

I can't wait to remind you how hard you shilled for this next year.
:XXROFL:bud what you say or don't say doesn't bother me, it will be a fail for you and a few others whatever happens if you haven't figured that out by now. The rest of us will probably enjoy it. It looks interesting, hope it works well.

Back
Top Bottom