Bristol Motor Speedway to host college football game

They are adding seed inside the 20 to improve passing ;)
Starting in the final quarter, 3 players on each side will be eliminated and the score will reset to zero every four minutes, leaving 2 on each side for the final minute. The winning team will be the one who moves the ball the farthest, regardless of how they performed during the previous 59 minutes. (John Elway would have 7 Super Bowl titles under this format.)

19lnfx.jpg

Starting in the final quarter, 3 players on each side will be eliminated and the score will reset to zero every four minutes, leaving 2 on each side for the final minute. The winning team will be the one who moves the ball the farthest, regardless of how they performed during the previous 59 minutes. (John Elway would have 7 Super Bowl titles under this format.)

And Joe Montana would make it look the easiest.

Tennessee home games is like a People of Walmart reunion. I'm embarrassed by the number of people who are running around in orange and white camouflage overalls.

It is funny as every family seems to have a cousin Eddie and every team has fans that make you cringe.

What the hell will you be able to see if your sitting up top in the middle of 1 and 2 or 3 and 4?

What the hell will you be able to see if your sitting up top in the middle of 1 and 2 or 3 and 4?
Johnson City?

I've been asking that question all along. I keep getting told that this about the 'experience', not about actually watching the game itself.

Experience: the consolation prize you got stuck with when you didn't get what you really wanted.

I don't know that there's a fan attending with false expectations of what the view will be from those seats. If there is, they're extremely naive. Obviously the venue is a motorsports complex. If I were going it would be simply about the experience of being there to be part of that crowd. If I lived closer I'd take it in just for the party atmosphere. When this game was first announced, we still had our season tickets to the Bristol races. We passed on the advance sale of the football seats only because we don't have a vested interest in either team. That & the 9+ hour drive. Like I said though, if I lived close, I'd be there.

Johnson City?

I've been asking that question all along. I keep getting told that this about the 'experience', not about actually watching the game itself.

Experience: the consolation prize you got stuck with when you didn't get what you really wanted.

People do it all the time as they go and see aging rockers in stadiums and festivals where you can barely make them out on the giant monitors. The reality is that even if a race or sport is held in the proper facility you can still see a lot more from home and you don't have the headaches and expense to contend with.

To be fair, the Colossus is going to help a bunch.

People do it all the time as they go and see aging rockers in stadiums and festivals where you can barely make them out on the giant monitors. The reality is that even if a race or sport is held in the proper facility you can still see a lot more from home and you don't have the headaches and expense to contend with.
To me, concerts are different critter. I'm there more to hear than to see.

To me, concerts are different critter. I'm there more to hear than to see.

I know I will see more minor league and college hockey games live and the same goes for college football and the NFL but I am not sure what other events might tickle my fancy. As I have got older my threshold for not being able to get in and out of events reasonably quickly has gone way down. When I attended Nascar races it wasn't uncommon for me to be at the track 5 hours before race time but I can't do it anymore.

An event of epic proportions between amateur athletes playing for the love of the game today.

The Superbowl tomorrow.

Vision........

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: this will probably good exposure for NASCAR. College Gameday is going to be in Bristol, and I'm sure they'll include some racing-related stuff during the telecast. And the racetrack is made even more impressive when you see how tiny a football field is relative to it. May help with exposing a younger audience to NASCAR.

Too bad both events couldn't have been run at the same time. That would certainly get some cross promotion going on. Probably too hard to call the play at the line of scrimmage with all the noise. o_O

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: this will probably good exposure for NASCAR. College Gameday is going to be in Bristol, and I'm sure they'll include some racing-related stuff during the telecast. And the racetrack is made even more impressive when you see how tiny a football field is relative to it. May help with exposing a younger audience to NASCAR.

It is possible but the announcers for last night's 'Noles sweet comeback were talking mentioned the game and Nascar a little but didn't know much about the series. I suspect the remaining Nascar diehard fans will be watching the race and NCAAF fans will be watching the game. I will be watching the game and hopefully will be able to see the race the next day if time doesn't get away from me as it did with the Darlington race.

Would somebody who's going to watch this game maybe keep an eye and ear open to see if there is much cross-promotion?

I'm betting against it. The game is on ABC, and neither they nor ESPN carry NASCAR any more. I don't see them working too hard to promote something they don't cover, especially when that's time they could be pushing their own content.

Yeah it was nice to see Kirk Herbstreet and Chris Fowler talk about NASCAR in the context of hyping up the game next week. They had a really cool video/CGI intro promotion they played featuring cup cars in Tennessee and VT paint schemes. Fowler even seemed to know his sh*t when talking about racing, mentioning he'd done the Petty experience at Daytona but that was different than Bristol because of restrictor plates. The views may suck but this is free publicity for NASCAR.

Would somebody who's going to watch this game maybe keep an eye and ear open to see if there is much cross-promotion?

I'm betting against it. The game is on ABC, and neither they nor ESPN carry NASCAR any more. I don't see them working too hard to promote something they don't cover, especially when that's time they could be pushing their own content.

Good point as there is no benefit at all for ABC to even mention what type of racing takes place at the track unless Bruton's fixin to make 'em.

Yeah it was nice to see Kirk Herbstreet and Chris Fowler talk about NASCAR in the context of hyping up the game next week. They had a really cool video/CGI intro promotion they played featuring cup cars in Tennessee and VT paint schemes. Fowler even seemed to know his sh*t when talking about racing, mentioning he'd done the Petty experience at Daytona but that was different than Bristol because of restrictor plates. The views may suck but this is free publicity for NASCAR.

Fowler knew a little but that was it.

Good point as there is no benefit at all for ABC to even mention what type of racing takes place at the track unless Bruton's fixin to make 'em.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Sports guys are sports guys through and through, that includes NASCAR.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Sports guys are sports guys through and through, that includes NASCAR.
My limited experience with 'conventional' sports guys is they don't see much beyond finishing order and wrecks. Maybe lap times.

Y'all will have to tell me if I'm surprised; I'll be watching Richmond. To me this is just another college game I don't care about, regardless of the venue.

No question the venue will have to be mentioned as it wouldn't make sense not to. In the end it will probably end up like the outdoor games the NHL plays in football and baseball stadiums. As I was watching the game last night I was thinking how cool it would be if Nascar could have events like that where there was natural drama and suspense that made you watch. After the 'Noles scored toward the end of the half I felt a little better but was still bummed. By the end of the third quarter I was high fiving myself.

No question the venue will have to be mentioned as it wouldn't make sense not to. In the end it will probably end up like the outdoor games the NHL plays in football and baseball stadiums. As I was watching the game last night I was thinking how cool it would be if Nascar could have events like that where there was natural drama and suspense that made you watch. After the 'Noles scored toward the end of the half I felt a little better but was still bummed. By the end of the third quarter I was high fiving myself.

It was both the best and worst game of my life as an FSU fan. I nearly turned off the tv when it was 28-6....it was just so ugly. But I stuck with it, and was glad I did!

... As I was watching the game last night I was thinking how cool it would be if Nascar could have events like that where there was natural drama and suspense that made you watch. ...
It's a lot easier to tell when someone is coming from behind when there are only two teams competing. It's a lot harder to spot a car working its way up from 30th with so many other cars to watch, esp. when the broadcast doesn't pay any attention to him until he breaks the top 5.

My limited experience with 'conventional' sports guys is they don't see much beyond finishing order and wrecks. Maybe lap times.

Y'all will have to tell me if I'm surprised; I'll be watching Richmond. To me this is just another college game I don't care about, regardless of the venue.

I am planning on watching the race on Sunday morning if time allows and I am hoping for a good one as the last few Richmond races have not been up to par, IMO. Seeing I don't follow the chase or driver standings who is on the bubble to make it does nothing to enhance the experience but if it did I could see where there could be interest.

It was both the best and worst game of my life as an FSU fan. I nearly turned off the tv when it was 28-6....it was just so ugly. But I stuck with it, and was glad I did!

The late score in the second and the fact that Jimbo is great at making halftime adjustments made me stay tuned but it was grim for a while.

It's a lot easier to tell when someone is coming from behind when there are only two teams competing. It's a lot harder to spot a car working its way up from 30th with so many other cars to watch, esp. when the broadcast doesn't pay any attention to him until he breaks the top 5.

Maybe Nascar should start inverting some of the restarts or only allow some teams to change tires to spice things up lol. Geez I hope Brian doesn't read this.

Tennessee home games is like a People of Walmart reunion. I'm embarrassed by the number of people who are running around in orange and white camouflage overalls.

Have you been to an Alabama game?

Back
Top Bottom