Bristol Motor Speedway to host college football game

This thread has more miles on it than Nürburgring. Started out rightfully so in the NASCAR section and still has a lot to do with NASCAR.

I've been watching College Gameday on ESPN. They are broadcasting live form Bristol Motor Speedway. Richard Petty was just on as one of the NASCAR guests. Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be on later today. They've got a large crowd there. The cross promotion of NASCAR has been evident throughout. Lots of fans in the background holding up NASCAR related signs. I've also been seeing lots of NASCAR shirts/hats on some of the crowd.

This game needs to happen every year from now on. Great cross-promotion with NASCAR on college gameday today. Everything from Dale Jr. making picks to Corso's headgear being a UT race helmet. If this makes money, Bruton should do this every year.

@nascarcasm
One of the ESPN announcers doing the IU/Ball State game just referred to Colossus as "that makeshift scoreboard thing." #BattleAtBristol

Oh my god, now the the sideline reporters are wearing firesuits.

From watching Game day this morning, I didn't realize that the colossus scoreboard was a temporary deal installed just for this game.

From watching Game day this morning, I didn't realize that the colossus scoreboard was a temporary deal installed just for this game.
That shows you just how little ESPN pays attention to anything that doesnt have the word "ball" in the title , I am so glad I dont have to watch the TMZ of sports anymore.

on a side note, I was going to watch this game, but I forgot all about it.

My thoughts from yesterday...

It was a fun day overall, the view from my seats were as bad as I expected, the atmosphere inside never felt like a college football game to me, pregame/tailgating atmosphere definitely felt like a big time college football game, it was incredibly unsettling when the bleachers that I was sitting in were visibly swaying . All that said, I'd never go back to the track for a football game.

One thing I found interesting is that, at the game, there was very little that reminded you that the game was being played at a Nascar track. There were the cars parked on track in the turns and a couple of pregame videos/graphics on the jumbotron, but little else. I was surprised by that.

Also, I don't think Bristol did a very good job of making the game day experience fan friendly. It was a night and day difference than what it is for a race. Outside the track, the food/drink options were very inadequate, especially compared to a race day. There were very few places outside the track that were selling water or any drinks with ice. All most of them had were lukewarm Mountain Dew and Pepsi. Once inside, a lot of the concession stands were running out of things. There were even some concession stands closed, while others had lines lasting 30 minutes or more. Lastly, the flow of foot traffic into the track was poorly managed.

I'll post some pictures later.

uploadfromtaptalk1473596201525.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1473596207090.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1473596215646.jpg

My thoughts from yesterday...

It was a fun day overall, the view from my seats were as bad as I expected, the atmosphere inside never felt like a college football game to me, pregame/tailgating atmosphere definitely felt like a big time college football game, it was incredibly unsettling when the bleachers that I was sitting in were visibly swaying . All that said, I'd never go back to the track for a football game.

One thing I found interesting is that, at the game, there was very little that reminded you that the game was being played at a Nascar track. There were the cars parked on track in the turns and a couple of pregame videos/graphics on the jumbotron, but little else. I was surprised by that.

Also, I don't think Bristol did a very good job of making the game day experience fan friendly. It was a night and day difference than what it is for a race. Outside the track, the food/drink options were very inadequate, especially compared to a race day. There were very few places outside the track that were selling water or any drinks with ice. All most of them had were lukewarm Mountain Dew and Pepsi. Once inside, a lot of the concession stands were running out of things. There were even some concession stands closed, while others had lines lasting 30 minutes or more. Lastly, the flow of foot traffic into the track was poorly managed.

I'll post some pictures later.
Thanks for the updat

@utvol0427 , thanks for sharing the photos, they are great.

I know the feeling of grandstands swaying from the old Daytona grandstands, pretty unsettling when it happens. The first time everyone jumped up it was pretty intense.

Back
Top Bottom