Bristol Motor Speedway to host college football game

No question the venue will have to be mentioned as it wouldn't make sense not to. In the end it will probably end up like the outdoor games the NHL plays in football and baseball stadiums. As I was watching the game last night I was thinking how cool it would be if Nascar could have events like that where there was natural drama and suspense that made you watch.
Is there not drama and suspense in racing? I don't have any difficulty in finding both drama and suspense, particularly in races where the outcome is in doubt to the very end. I think almost all racing fans recognize and appreciate the drama and suspense in racing.

Is there not drama and suspense in racing? I don't have any difficulty in finding both drama and suspense, particularly in races where the outcome is in doubt to the very end. I think almost all racing fans recognize and appreciate the drama and suspense in racing.

Over the past few years I have read where several people have mentioned falling to sleep during races, calling races boring or snoozefests and other things like follow the leader. I do think that most of the remaining fans are of the die hard variety and nothing would get them to exit the series so you may very well be right about most fans appreciating the drama and suspense in racing today.

IMO auto racing doesn't really lend itself to the back and forth of a sport like football as football is like a series of clashes you try and win and racing is more about keeping yourself in a position to win and often sometimes that happens on pit road instead and sometimes the track.

I hope it's a good game and that they are really able to capture the awesomeness of BMS on TV.

IMO auto racing doesn't really lend itself to the back and forth of a sport like football...
I think it is more a situation of "different strokes for different folks." Some are fans of racing. Some are fans of football. Some are fans of both, and some of neither. I'm a fan of motor racing, and to me Nascar Sprint Cup races positively reek of drama and suspense just about every week. I'm also a football fan but that is much less important to me.

It doesn't really matter what any of us think. What matters is BMS is a sellout so its great for them. I'd guess BMS hasn't sold out in like 4 years for cup races.

Personally, I think it looks awesome sitting in the middle of BMS.

CrubkfKWYAAafU6.jpg:large

People around Blacksburg are pumped up for this one. Maybe even more than they were for the National Title game a several years back. Personally, I think the Vols are going to be eating turkey sandwiches all night. I don't care who wins, I just hope it lives up ton the hype, but I don't think it will.

You're not really surprised by that though, are you? You've been there for a race before, right?
No and yes.

I knew it was going to be really bad, it's just funny that there is an article essentially calling my seats the worst seats in the place. I plan on drinking enough pregame that I won't care that I can't see the field.

In my college football pick 'em at work, I picked the upset here. Tennessee looks a bit weak last week, and VT is going to surprise some people in my view.

Personally, I think it looks awesome sitting in the middle of BMS.

CrubkfKWYAAafU6.jpg:large
Look at the near corner of the right end zone, on the pavement. Those are people. That's how big the players are going to look. Look at the size of one of their heads; that's how big the ball will appear.

Look at the near corner of the right end zone, on the pavement. Those are people. That's how big the players are going to look. Look at the size of one of their heads; that's how big the ball will appear.
It wouldn't bother me a bit. If I had a dog in the fight, I'd be there in a heartbeat. It will be a helluva time for those going with a good attitude. For those that are only there for the game, they may have a problem with the sight-lines.

An acquaintance and his wife, together with a few other couples they knew, took in ‘Skins games at RFK at least once per season. They took a trip to FedExField when the team moved and sat in comparably priced seats. Told me they couldn’t see the ball.

FedEx doesn’t have a ½ mile race track around it.

It wouldn't bother me a bit. If I had a dog in the fight, I'd be there in a heartbeat. It will be a helluva time for those going with a good attitude. For those that are only there for the game, they may have a problem with the sight-lines.
I wish the best to those who spent their money, but I don't get it at all. I don't know that I ever will.

I wish the best to those who spent their money, but I don't get it at all. I don't know that I ever will.

People like what they like. I don't understand why people would get involved in horse dancing but apparently it's a thing. At least with a college football game there's some excitement and a fun atmosphere.

In regards to college games in general or just this game? If just this game, I tend to agree. The only reason I'm going is because I have free tickets and I'm still not I want to make the drive. It blows my mind that there are this many people willing to spend the prices that they were charging to watch a game in this venue.

People like what they like. I don't understand why people would get involved in horse dancing but apparently it's a thing. At least with a college football game there's some excitement and a fun atmosphere.
I can 'get' college football. What I don't get is paying for it when knowing in advance you're not going to be able to see it.
In regards to college games in general or just this game? If just this game, I tend to agree. The only reason I'm going is because I have free tickets and I'm still not I want to make the drive. It blows my mind that there are this many people willing to spend the prices that they were charging to watch a game in this venue.
Pretty much just this game in particular, mostly for the same reasons you listed.

Bruton made a mistake.

He should have left those temporary seats off the straightaways. Sell the place out this weekend and let the fans crow about setting an attendance record.

NEXT YEAR install the temp seats, then whip them into a 'New Attendance Record' frenzy all over again.

Can you rent scanners and listen to the coaches call plays too? Does Fanvision work? Which players will have the in-helmet camera sponsored by credit 1 bank?

Can you rent scanners and listen to the coaches call plays too? Does Fanvision work? Which players will have the in-helmet camera sponsored by credit 1 bank?
"It's now time for our Josh Dobbs update, brought to you by Nationwide."

"Thanks guys. Dobbs is currently 13 of 28 passing for 68 yards and two interceptions. He's reporting that his throwing arm is loose between the 20s, but really tightens up in the red zone. He just feels like he has no control. Coaches are trying to make adjustments to get him dialed in for the rest of the game."

The winning coach will be doused with two 11-gallon cans of Sunoco Race Fuel instead of the traditional Gatorade bath. Of course both teams will be shod by Goodyear.

It's a stone b!tch adjusting air pressure in 88 shoes during the cauti--; uh, halftime. The hardest part is getting each lineman to balance on the jack. 13.6 seconds each ain't gonna happen.

But it's all worth it when you get to see them try a burnout.

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/events/pilot-flying-j-battle-at-bristol/

Interesting. No coolers permitted. No re-entry. NASCAR fans wouldn't put up with that.

I remember after 9/11 there was talk of coolers and outside items not being allowed into the tracks and there was an uproar about it. I never liked the idea of coolers being brought into the tracks as idiots used to dump out water from the stands, you would get showered by the hillbillies sitting a few rows back and they took up space. JMO and I am likely a minority of one on this issue.

An acquaintance and his wife, together with a few other couples they knew, took in ‘Skins games at RFK at least once per season. They took a trip to FedExField when the team moved and sat in comparably priced seats. Told me they couldn’t see the ball.

FedEx doesn’t have a ½ mile race track around it.

FedEx hasn't had much of a football team for the last 10 years either.

I wonder if the caution lights will light up all around the catch fence when they throw a flag.

Also, "Boogity Boogity Boogity, let's play Football boys!!"

Hell, it’ll be ah happenin’. Folks’ll be able to tell their grands they were part of some sorta record crowd.

Racin’ folks ain’t usin’ it. Hope it goes off well.

In my college football pick 'em at work, I picked the upset here. Tennessee looks a bit weak last week, and VT is going to surprise some people in my view.
VT is still a pretty good program. They were the only team that beat Ohio State the year they won the National Championship (2014).

The winning coach will be doused with two 11-gallon cans of Sunoco Race Fuel instead of the traditional Gatorade bath. Of course both teams will be shod by Goodyear.
Hopefully we'll win and, shortly after being doused with fuel, someone will convince Butch to light up a victory cigar.

Current NFC East Champions.

Unfortunately being the NFC East Champ at this stage is like being 4th out of 5th in a beauty contest. Hopefully things will swing back around and a couple of teams will assert themselves in the upper echelon.

VT is still a pretty good program. They were the only team that beat Ohio State the year they won the National Championship (2014).
I hope the new coach has some guts. I know Frank Beamer was beloved, but he didn't have guts. He coached scared a lot. He lost to inferior competition way too often. In my opinion, this game is part of the reason Frank was pushed out.

Back
Top Bottom