Cable cutters, rejoice

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by AndyMarquisLive, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

• Is 'IPTV' a catch-all term for these assorted services, or is it a specific service?
    • Is Firestick a device, a service, or both? If it's a device, what's it do that my TV doesn't, and what service are you using with it? If a service, does it come with it's own device or should I be able to find it already on my TV?

2. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

My new hotspot cost that much, but it's 5G compatible. :growl:

All I can get at the house is DSL and I'm not going to pay another $90/month for DSL.

Johali likes this.
  3. AndyMarquisLive

Firestick is a device. If you don't have a SmartTV, it basically turns your TV into a SmartTV.

4. Charlie Spencer

Ease of use is going to play a big part in this decision, possibly even more than the channel availability and selection. I'm comfortable shifting between input feeds, but she likely won't be.

5. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

It's a catch all for all internet provider services. There are a wide variety of services that can meet your needs.

The firestick is a device. This device allows for a much wider variety of apps that can be installed vs the library of apps that are available from your smart TV provider. The firestick is much more versatile than the comporable Roku device.

6. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

The device plugs into one of your HDMI ports. No need to switch input feeds.

You can go into YouTube to see these things in action.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  7. Charlie Spencer

Apps? Like tablet / phone apps? If so, that's probably not going to be a factor in my decision; we only use a handful of those now. Right now I'm primarily interested in reproducing my current viewing experience, just for less money.

I'm not sure what criteria I should use to determine what device to get. Heck, I'm not clear on whether I need one or not. Obviously the available services is important, based (I assume) on which services carry the channels I want. I don't know if there are other factors besides services I should consider; I didn't know apps for these devices existed until this evening. Is this device decision one I'm going to be able to make and forget for five or seven years, or is it something I'm going to be revisiting every 12 - 18 months?

For whatever reason, I'm not comfortable with YouTube as anything other than a jukebox. I actually enjoy reading instruction manuals and technical guides, but I find demonstration videos to be an annoying and distracting way to assimilate technical information. So many of them are just so badly done. I also have a hard time backing the video up to a particular point when I want to review something. I don't know if my attitude and experiences with YouTube say anything about how happy I'd be with the TV tools we've been discussing.

8. Ray_

Ray_ Gasman

@dpkimmel2001 thank you for the router answer.

Charlie, I think you'll find at least with the Firestick and Roku that they are user friendly and pretty much guide you to what you want. As far as programming goes, I considered my wife's need mostly and DirecTV NOW at the $65 package has mostly the same channels we had with the satellite service. Also the UI and guide are similar to a traditional experience. I think you'd be surprised at how simple getting going is. I think the only thing we miss is the ability to change channels with a numpad and the limited DVR but with all the on demand available it hasn't been horrible.

9. Charlie Spencer

I tend to over analyze technical things, esp. when an immediate decision isn't required and the outcome really isn't that significant in the long-term scheme of things. After all, it's just TV. Obviously I can try most / all of these without having to actually drop Dish until I'm comfortable; most of them have a free trial and no contract, right? I could quit, keep Dish, and mark it all down as a learning experience.

Our viewing habits are pretty simple. Other than the the broadcast networks and the half-dozen channels NASCAR is spread across, we watch maybe 20 other channels. No HBO or 'premium' channels, no on-demand, no sports channels except Golf Channel, we've never binge-watched anything. If it wasn't for NASCAR and golf, we could drop down two tiers, 'cause otherwise we're about as vanilla as it gets.

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  10. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Yes, an app..... Like in a phone. I suggest you watch a video on it for a better explanation as I don't seem to be able to describe it well enough for you to understand.

I use a single app. When i launch it by clicking on it, it gives me access to more than 1000 channels via a television guide. I click on the channel I want to watch and watch it. I have access to everything that is broadcast through a single app. Every Cable channel. Every sports channel. Every movie channel. PPV channels. NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA packages. Every game. Every team. Adult channels..... And a whole helluva lot more.

I can't explain it any better than that. You can choose to look up info on it it not. If saving money is your thing than it's worth the time. My bill before streaming was just over $150/month. It's now $15/month. The math isn't hard.

I've told you all that I can tell you. This thread is full of info I've provided. If its not worth your time to look up some info on YouTube then I'm not sure how much I can help. That's where I got all the information for me to get started. If it's something that you like to check out at some point, let me know and I can help you get started.

11. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

Made the decision today to go with standard Cox cable over satellite or streaming. I spoke with my neighbor who has Dish and he said the tree in the front lawn of our apartment is quite the nuisance. So far this year he says he has lost signal three times. While that may not seem like a lot, I'm sure it would be much worse when the tree is full of leaves. I dont want to be glued to a sporting even only to have the signal go out. It would be like streaming and having the stream buffer or freeze. I just didnt want to commit to a 2 year agreement only to have problems. And since I dont have home Internet, I ruled out streaming. Didnt seem logical to pay for Internet I didnt need just so I could get a streaming service. Not sure how much will be paying. Fot first 12 months it said $75.00 and $95.00 for each month after that, but of course cable companies have a ton of extra fees.

12. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

cox internet even on the lowest tier is plenty fast. For one person and not a whole family it really works great. My friend has that setup.

13. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

I always used the second tier. While it was fast, I had to reset the router/modem through their website quite often as it would stop working. It could have been a wire issue or it could have been their modem/router combination that was the problem. But yes, when working it properly, it was fast.

14. Michfan

Michfan Team Owner

I'd be cautious on some of the 15$ for everything IPTV. It's not entirely legal and those companies are susceptible to being shutdown.

15. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

16. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

Also as a note to those who are new to streaming, both Sling and Directv Now are known to have free offers if you prepay for a few months, no catch. I received a Roku through a Sling promotion and an Apple TV 4k box through Directv Now.

17. VaDirt

VaDirt Dirt Track Fanatic

When I cut the cord, I bought a Roku, and started with PS Vue. I went to Sling, because the guide was much better (and for a couple dollars less offered mostly the same channels. But yesterday I switched over to YouTube TV. I did the 14 dat free trial, but literally was sold within the first 5 minutes. The layout, speed, and the fact it comes with local channels as well (without the need to have an antenna) will keep me there.

2 Sweet likes this.
  18. AndyMarquisLive

19. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

20. AndyMarquisLive

Still a good deal out there. But man, I'm paying for Netflix, which just increased prices, DC Universe, YouTube TV, TikiLive, Hulu, CBS All Access and HBO.

Time to cut some sh!t. And I'd love to go to the commercial free Hulu plan.

21. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

What does all those services combined cost per month?

22. AndyMarquisLive

Less than DIRECTV. :XXROFL:

Charlie Spencer and 2 Sweet like this.