Cable cutters, rejoice

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by AndyMarquisLive, Jun 25, 2016.

1. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Well, SET TV looks like it's down and out. Fun while it lasted :(

2. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

But the creatives swore that it was legal.

Seriously though, I think we all knew there was no way it was legal and that it was only a matter of time before it went away.

3. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

You are gonna love Nat Geo.There's one show that I tried to never miss. Drain the ocean or something like that. Ship wrecks both ancient and contemporary along with ancient cities that have slipped beneath the waves.

BobbyFord likes this.
  4. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Yes! I’ve been watching that show. Love it.
    Nat Geo is awesome.

5. Michfan

Michfan Team Owner Contributor

Yeah, that's why I never bothered with it. It was so blatantly illegal. Surprising it lasted as long as it did.

6. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

No fear, there are plenty of alternatives. A simple search of IPTV services will yield many working results. Last week, I was watching on SetTV an afternoon baseball game between the Pirates/Cubs. Later that evening, when tuning in to watch something else, the service was no longer available. I went online and read the news. My $20/month package was lost. About an hour later, I was up and running on another service that runs $15/month. Still all of the same live channels, premium movie channels, every single regional sports network, NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL packages, PPV, On Demand movies, etc..... At some point this service will probably go down as well. Then, it'll be time to move on to the next service.

I was at the half way point of my paid monthly service of $20 when SetTV went down causing me to lose $10 on my pre-paid investment. Before my switch to SetTV my monthly satellite bill was north of $150/month. I spent 3-4 months using the SetTV service. My savings was over $400 during that time. Not a bad investment at all. These services are best to be purchased on a monthly basis to avoid any kind of loss on investment.

Even if you exclude IPTV services, there are a ton of options out there to explore for online streaming of your programming. My suggestion would be Playstation Vue as an alternative. Their channel lineup is extensive and their cost is low. Bottom line, If you've got the bandwidth to stream, you're making the wrong choice by going with cable/satellite.

My service is.....
    • 300 Mbps Download
    • 20 Mbps Upload
    • 2 TB Monthly Data Allowance
    That level allows for me to stream on multiple feeds and still not affect the bandwidth of my son's online gaming experience. I know because, believe me, I'd hear about it. In my experience with streaming I've found that we normally stream about 750GB/month in our household. That's far below our data limit.

As far as SetTV goes, a good look at what is going on with them can be read here and even this is speculation ==> https://torrentfreak.com/set-tv-suddenly-goes-offline-but-is-the-ace-lawsuit-to-blame-180611/

TexasRaceLady and 2 Sweet like this.
  7. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

I went to Burger King earlier and noticed that on the one TV they had, they were using a Roku and had the Sling tv app downloaded. Apparently even Fast Food chains who only have one, maybe two tv's find it cheaper to use a streaming service rather than using an actual cable company.

Mopardh9 likes this.
  8. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

I bought gas and the pump had a TV spewing ads - you can't get away from it.

9. Musrat#2

Musrat#2 Team Owner

I have been with directv for many years I'm just scared to cut the Cord. I don't wanna lose football and NASCAR.

2 Sweet likes this.
  10. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner

Ok so what's the best streaming service now that Set tv is history?

11. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Seems like a lot of shuffling.
    What’s wrong with cable? I like to get all of my stuff in one spot. Always there (occasionally have to replace the box but the place is right down the street,) lots of channels, convenient...
    I hated TWC but Spectrum took over and things are a lot better...I’m happy with cable again.

12. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

I PM'd you what I'm currently using. There are so many IPTV's out there to choose from. I did like SetTV's interface but what they provided is readily available. I still get absolutely everything that is broadcast as I did before. Only, I'm now paying $15/month. Calculated savings are now over $1000 since my switch from satellite earlier this year.

13. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner

What's wrong with cable? $140/Month that's what.