Cable cutters, rejoice

Hmm... I'm at 10mbps (usually clocks in at around 8mbps and I can stream in 1080 on my big screen and watch stuff on the computer as well. During the Olympics, I had three or four streams running at one time.
That's surprising, to me anyway. I had to drop Century Link a while back because of streaming issues. I'm using cable internet now. Just ran a speed test and these were the results. Not too bad as I'm on one of their lowest packages. If/when I'm finally out of my contract with Dish Network, I'll be upgrading my speed and switching to streaming exclusively.

Untitled.jpg

Basic cable w/2 HD boxes is about $110 a month. A land line and 6M DSL (tests at 5M download, .5M upload) is about $90 a month. My Tracfone costs $150 for 2 years of service with more minutes than I use. Comcast raised my rate $18 last month; when I called they told me I had signed up for the next tier of channels (I didn't sign up) and my 1 year of free channels was up. So I had channels I didn't know about - they pulled a Wells Fargo on me. I had them cancel the extra charge and refund the $18 charge.

That's surprising, to me anyway. I had to drop Century Link a while back because of streaming issues. I'm using cable internet now. Just ran a speed test and these were the results. Not too bad as I'm on one of their lowest packages. If/when I'm finally out of my contract with Dish Network, I'll be upgrading my speed and switching to streaming exclusively.

View attachment 21093
I have the Cox Preferred package which is the second slowest out of 4. It's plenty fast for me.

Cox Communications
Download Speed 59.80
UploadSpeed
Tue Sep 27 11:43 AM

Vue added a new package that includes HBO and Cinemax, but it's $20 more than the next lowest package. I feel like they are already trying to hike up the price. Hopefully they don't make any increases to their prices on their previous packages. This is what I was afraid of. The more popular it got, the more they'd hike the price. Now when they add new channels that people demand, they can put them on the most expensive two plans almost forcing people to pay the price. As least they aren't contract plans, so you can always cancel if you want.

Sling has added the NHL Network. Hopefully Vue isn't too far behind. The move by Sling could definitely get me to switch for the time being until Vue adds the channel.

Sling has added the NHL Network. Hopefully Vue isn't too far behind. The move by Sling could definitely get me to switch for the time being until Vue adds the channel.

I don't give a **** about hockey, so no skin off my back. :idunno:

My brand new TV quit working so I have to watch on the computer.

I picked a city out in Utah. My speeds jump up into the 90's if I pick a East Coast city.

Pretty much. For the lowest package, that's 11 channels lost or 20%.
Good thing there are no contracts and I can drop whenever i want. But let's see what happens. Only one of the channels that are getting dropped do I actually watch, and that only for an occasional episode of Andy Griffith.

My Comcast box died yesterday so I will be exchanging yet again, 2nd time in 4 months and the 3rd time in a year. I'm paying $120 a year to rent a substandard piece of equipment. If I want to improve my internet speed I have to go to Comcast but their cable box occasionally takes 10-15 seconds for the sound to kick in. I've been considering a satellite dish but that doesn't solve my internet situation. I'd like to try alternatives like Comcast internet and satellite TV but with their stupid bundles they prevent me from mixing and matching services.

VIACOM owned. They're trying to push everyone to their subscription services.

It may or may not work for Viacom. I'd go with the second possibility, but it will likely cost Playstation Vue some subscriptions, at least until they get the issue resolved. The occasional movie is all I ever watch on those channels, so I likely wont be leaving. The only issue I have is that even with losing 20% of the channels, they still said they have no plan on lowering the price at all. I realize it's a business, but because of this deal...they are pretty much pocketing more money while giving the customers nothing in return.

It may or may not work for Viacom. I'd go with the second possibility, but it will likely cost Playstation Vue some subscriptions, at least until they get the issue resolved. The occasional movie is all I ever watch on those channels, so I likely wont be leaving. The only issue I have is that even with losing 20% of the channels, they still said they have no plan on lowering the price at all. I realize it's a business, but because of this deal...they are pretty much pocketing more money while giving the customers nothing in return.
I'm sure there will be more of this in the future. Greed is the problem now. NBC Comcast, Disney, Viacom, Time Warner... they all want more and more money for something fewer and fewer people subscribe to. They might already be killing the streaming media model with their greed just like they're killing big cable.

I'm sure there will be more of this in the future. Greed is the problem now. NBC Comcast, Disney, Viacom, Time Warner... they all want more and more money for something fewer and fewer people subscribe to. They might already be killing the streaming media model with their greed just like they're killing big cable.

Sad, but true.

ESPN is not worth what people pay for it. Truth is, most of these networks aren't.

That must be why cable is so expensive. I mean, I'm sure they overcharge by quite a bit, it still can't be cheap on their end to get all these channels. Personally, I could do without ESPN seeings how they don't even cover the two sports I watch the most.

I don't watch any of those channels except for Spike. Viacom sucks. lol

It's announced that AT&T will release all the info for DIrecTV Now on November 28th. With 100+ channels for only $35, that is definitely the cheapest cable cutter option available. It'll be interesting to see exact what will be available with the service.

It's announced that AT&T will release all the info for DIrecTV Now on November 28th. With 100+ channels for only $35, that is definitely the cheapest cable cutter option available. It'll be interesting to see exact what will be available with the service.

Just read up on it. Won't be available for Roku so that's a deal killer there. I'll keep Playstation Vue.

Says they're giving away free Apple TV. But I already have a Roku. Plus, I'd have to replace my modem. Got the upgraded modem in my house, but it's a pain in the ass to change.

The irony for me is for me to switch from 6M DSL service (the best they can do in my neighborhood) to Comcast cable for higher speed internet.

Does anyone have a link to what the 100 channels are as part of this DirecTV package?

No.

If DIRECTV Now has all the same features as Playstation Vue, and a better lineup, I might make the switch.

Streaming media's already having the problems cable has though. The stations wanting more money. And now, some of them are launching their own apps and trying to get people to pay them each month.

Lucas Oil, for instance, isn't trying to expand MAVTV's availability because they want people to subscribe to their app instead. CBS is doing the same thing. I think this trend will become more common as well.

And the problem is, you end up pating $6/month for CBS, $9/month for Lucas Oil, $10/month for Netflix and so on and it adds up.

CBS All Access is already a failure. Hell, The CW (which is owned, in part, by CBS) abandoned plans to go the CBS All Access route and unloaded an app that's totally free instead.

No.

If DIRECTV Now has all the same features as Playstation Vue, and a better lineup, I might make the switch.

Streaming media's already having the problems cable has though. The stations wanting more money. And now, some of them are launching their own apps and trying to get people to pay them each month.

Lucas Oil, for instance, isn't trying to expand MAVTV's availability because they want people to subscribe to their app instead. CBS is doing the same thing. I think this trend will become more common as well.

And the problem is, you end up pating $6/month for CBS, $9/month for Lucas Oil, $10/month for Netflix and so on and it adds up.

CBS All Access is already a failure. Hell, The CW (which is owned, in part, by CBS) abandoned plans to go the CBS All Access route and unloaded an app that's totally free instead.
Well, it's all about the money, right?

I'm thinking about getting the Roku 4K setup. I read recently that Roku and Apple TV launched the FloSports app. I already pay for that channel but i can only watch it off of the computer or by using the Smart View on my Samsung phone to push the video to my TV. Roku seems to be my pick as I don't want anything to do with Apple.

With nothing to do, I decided to watch AT&T's live stream on Directv Now reveal. Kinda concerning that the stream lasted 45 minutes, yet they they failed to reveal which channels will be available on which packages. Also if I heard right, it appears that the $35 for 100+ channels is a one time deal. You can sign up for that package and as long as you keep the package and don't leave, you'll keep getting the package for $35, but if you leave the service and decide to come back, you'll be paying $60 for the same package.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/att-directv-now-channels-price-launch-details/

No DVR (yet) and no Roku support. Does not say if they'll support TV everywhere like Playstation Vue does. Dead on arrival, for me anyway. No Sunday Ticket either, which is a huge disappointment considering it's an AT&T/DIRECTV service. Doesn't say if they offer RedZone but it's unlikely since AT&T only offers RedZone if you have Sunday Ticket.

They do have more channels than Vue though. And DIRECTV Now not going against your data cap on AT&T is intriguing as well.

I'm sticking with Playstation Vue though. I don't watch any of the Viacom networks either so that doesn't bother me.

Also, I didn't notice this until the other day but you can watch Playstation Vue on PC now.

https://vue.playstation.com/watch/

For some reason, it always says I'm away from home online and on mobile. Need to call Sony this week and get this straight... especially since I'm upgrading my modem sometime soon as well.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/att-directv-now-channels-price-launch-details/

No DVR (yet) and no Roku support. Does not say if they'll support TV everywhere like Playstation Vue does. Dead on arrival, for me anyway. No Sunday Ticket either, which is a huge disappointment considering it's an AT&T/DIRECTV service. Doesn't say if they offer RedZone but it's unlikely since AT&T only offers RedZone if you have Sunday Ticket.

They do have more channels than Vue though. And DIRECTV Now not going against your data cap on AT&T is intriguing as well.

I'm sticking with Playstation Vue though. I don't watch any of the Viacom networks either so that doesn't bother me.

Once they open it to Roku devices, I may look more into it. With a Roku, I really don't need another streaming device, so the Apple TV promotion means nothing to me. By the time they ad their app to Roku, Playstation Vue will likely have taken more steps to keep people away from Directv Now by adding more channels and more features. I'll likely end up staying with Playstation Vue unless the channel lineup for Direct TV blows me away.

Once they open it to Roku devices, I may look more into it. With a Roku, I really don't need another streaming device, so the Apple TV promotion means nothing to me. By the time they ad their app to Roku, Playstation Vue will likely have taken more steps to keep people away from Directv Now by adding more channels and more features. I'll likely end up staying with Playstation Vue unless the channel lineup for Direct TV blows me away.

I think AT&T's DIRECTV Now will run into the same problems in the future with carriage disputes. Viacom, NBC Comcast and Disney never learn.

I'd love to have a guide on Playstation Vue's Roku app. The iPad app and their PS4 app have a guide function. Roku is difficult to navigate.

I don't see the main network programming available on that DirecTV streaming package. Maybe I'm just missing them on that list.

In any event, I don't need 60+ channels. I only watch a handful of channels. I don't understand why these channels can't be purchased separately. The technology obviously exists. Every single channel that I'd like to have is currently streaming as part of a package under one banner or another. Why these channels can't all create their own app and let me pay them directly for their programming, I'll never figure out.

I'm still somewhere in the middle of my Dish Network contract. Once that expires I hope to move to streaming and OTA Network programming. I currently have a few SmartTV's. I also have one of those Amazon Fire Sticks and I'm currently waiting on a Roku 4K model that I just ordered yesterday.

Looking at the Direct tv now lineup, it appears to be a no-go for me and probably everyone on here. The $35 for 100+ channels wont last forever and once it goes away, the $35 package is missing just one channel that I gotta have, but it's a must. They've left out NBSCN from the $35 package, and seeings how NASCAR and Hockey are my two favorite sports, that channel is a must for me, but I'm not going to pay $50 for the channel when I can get it for cheaper on both Sling and PSVue.

Looking at the Direct tv now lineup, it appears to be a no-go for me and probably everyone on here. The $35 for 100+ channels wont last forever and once it goes away, the $35 package is missing just one channel that I gotta have, but it's a must. They've left out NBSCN from the $35 package, and seeings how NASCAR and Hockey are my two favorite sports, that channel is a must for me, but I'm not going to pay $50 for the channel when I can get it for cheaper on both Sling and PSVue.

DOA.

Received my ordered Roku yesterday. I went through and set up most of the channels that I wanted. Seems like a decent unit. The 4K content looks great. Loaded the FloSports app that I bought this thing for. The unit works great and is simple to navigate.

Dish AirTV Android Streaming Box Merges Netflix, Sling TV, Local TV

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350749/dish-airtv-android-streaming-box-merges-netflix-sling-tv-l

Interesting how the integrated the OTA into their stick.

I live about 60 miles from the nearest local television tower. Even at that distance, I can pick up the local digital signal over the UHF antenna for CBS, ABC, FOX & NBC. This stick, along with a subscription to something like Playstation Vue would be all I need.

Back
Top Bottom