Cable cutters, rejoice

Comcast has started to use popups on my TV screen called Xfinity Information Alerts. It covers half the screen, it promotes an upgrade. It won't go away until you hit a button on the remote. You can choose Remind Me Later or Tell Me More (which is the default). I logged in to my account to see how to stop it - you can't. I makes me mad - mad enough to look into satellite or alternatives.

I'm at my uncle's house ad they have Verizon FIOS. They had pop up ads every time I'd try to do something. Guide came with an ad, going from home to live TV had ads ad so on. Took about two minutes to find and get to MSNBC.

I'll be just fine with my DIRECTV.

My stepdad just switched TV from cable to satellite after cable decided to increase rates again.

Unfortunately, NBCSN isn't on our basic tier. My stepdad isn't willing to pay more for the next tier up considering he just switched to save a ton of money.

So, has anyone here moved exclusively to streaming rather than cable or satellite?

I want to know if there is a way to DVR/record content that's streamed? Anyone?

It looks like Amazon has canceled it's plans of having their own tv streaming service. Seems like they wanted to be cheaper than everyone else, but realized that they couldn't get the channels rights for cheap enough to be profitable.

It also looks like movie channels aren't as profitable as streaming services originally thought, or at least that's the case for Sling. Just last weekend, they had a free weekend preview of Showtime. This weekend, they are giving a free weekend preview of HBO and Cinemax. I'm not really surprised though. I don't see how it makes sense to have HBO and Cinemax available as stand alone channels. Why would someone pay $10 or $15 for one of those channels when they can get Netflix for cheaper than that? I could see Sling possibly adding HBO and/or Cinemax to one of their main packages and upping the price a bit.

It looks like Amazon has canceled it's plans of having their own tv streaming service. Seems like they wanted to be cheaper than everyone else, but realized that they couldn't get the channels rights for cheap enough to be profitable.

It also looks like movie channels aren't as profitable as streaming services originally thought, or at least that's the case for Sling. Just last weekend, they had a free weekend preview of Showtime. This weekend, they are giving a free weekend preview of HBO and Cinemax. I'm not really surprised though. I don't see how it makes sense to have HBO and Cinemax available as stand alone channels. Why would someone pay $10 or $15 for one of those channels when they can get Netflix for cheaper than that? I could see Sling possibly adding HBO and/or Cinemax to one of their main packages and upping the price a bit.

I get HBO for free with my AT&T plan and I only watch Bill Maher on it.

Not sure I understand what you're saying. Amazon has a tv streaming service.

So far, from everything that I've been able to find out..... Playstation Vue seems to be my best option. Of all of the streaming packages that I've found, they are the only ones that offer ABC/CBS/NBC & FOX live in my market. I may have to try out the service sooner than later..... We just started getting notices at the end of last week that Dish Network is in the process of negotiating a contract with CBS. Well, those talks must not be going well as they say that we are in danger of losing our CBS feed. That ain't an option in the middle of the NFL season. CBS is basically our Steelers channel. :mad:

So far, from everything that I've been able to find out..... Playstation Vue seems to be my best option. Of all of the streaming packages that I've found, they are the only ones that offer ABC/CBS/NBC & FOX live in my market. I may have to try out the service sooner than later..... We just started getting notices at the end of last week that Dish Network is in the process of negotiating a contract with CBS. Well, those talks must not be going well as they say that we are in danger of losing our CBS feed. That ain't an option in the middle of the NFL season. CBS is basically our Steelers channel. :mad:

The NHL Network continues to be my only reason to stay with Sling. Playstation Vue doesnt even offer the channel. Direct Tv now does, but I'd be paying $20 more per month than I currently do. Direct TV now has an attractive $35 package, so if it wasnt for the NHL network, I would maybe give them a shot assuming they fixed all their glitches.

The NHL Network continues to be my only reason to stay with Sling. Playstation Vue doesnt even offer the channel. Direct Tv now does, but I'd be paying $20 more per month than I currently do. Direct TV now has an attractive $35 package, so if it wasnt for the NHL network, I would maybe give them a shot assuming they fixed all their glitches.
I love hockey but I watch very little of the NHL network as almost all of our games are on Pittsburgh's AT&T Sports Net. Unfortunately, AT&T Sports Net does not do streaming. I don't understand why they wouldn't. Are you familiar with NHL.TV? I looked into that as a way of continuing to get the Penquins games except they have strict blackout restrictions rendering the channel useless.

I love hockey but I watch very little of the NHL network as almost all of our games are on Pittsburgh's AT&T Sports Net. Unfortunately, AT&T Sports Net does not do streaming. I don't understand why they wouldn't. Are you familiar with NHL.TV? I looked into that as a way of continuing to get the Penquins games except they have strict blackout restrictions rendering the channel useless.

I have looked into subscribing a few times, but since I work nights as much as days, I don't figure it'd be worth it for the number of games I'd be able to watch. I do still have the channel on my Roku since they are airing four free games per week. My team is Detroit, so I wouldn't have to worry about the blackout rules, which I still don't understand. I get Fox Sports Midwest with my Sling subscription, but all of the St Louis Blues games are blacked out which doesn't make sense to me since they aren't blacked out on the same channel when watching through your traditional cable subscriptions.

I have looked into subscribing a few times, but since I work nights as much as days, I don't figure it'd be worth it for the number of games I'd be able to watch. I do still have the channel on my Roku since they are airing four free games per week. My team is Detroit, so I wouldn't have to worry about the blackout rules, which I still don't understand. I get Fox Sports Midwest with my Sling subscription, but all of the St Louis Blues games are blacked out which doesn't make sense to me since they aren't blacked out on the same channel when watching through your traditional cable subscriptions.
Our games are blacked out like your St. Louis Blues example. The Pens have sold out all their games for decades now. AT&T Sports Net is only available on cable or satellite. That’s my only hurdle to overcome.

Looks like Dish/CBS may be forcing my hand at this transition to streaming sooner than I thought. :mad:

It's either streaming or climbing up on the roof to install a OTA antenna.

CBS is gone this morning. My main channel for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Not acceptable as a huge NFl/Steelers fan.

A quick glance at the upcoming Steelers schedule sets my deadline for December 17th.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I always like it when the station blames the cable company, even though this usually happens because the station is asking way too much money

I always like it when the station blames the cable company, even though this usually happens because the station is asking way too much money
I hear ya.

I just got off the phone with Dish Network. I got them to knock off the cost of CBS All Access's price of $5.99/month until this is resolved and also free HBO for the next year. No further commitment on my part.

I hear ya.

I just got off the phone with Dish Network. I got them to knock off the cost of CBS All Access's price of $5.99/month until this is resolved and also free HBO for the next year. No further commitment on my part.

Anytime I call DIRECTV to bitch about something, I end up with free ****.

We have a good local company in Toledo called Buckeye which is awesome. Picture quality blows away the big guys, great customer service as you don't get some guy in India, and TiVo boxes

Dish says it is offering digital over-the-air (OTA) antennas at no cost so customers in affected markets can watch CBS’ local broadcast channels for free.:idunno:
https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...onscable-networks-dropped-on-dish-networ.html
Yeah, I had read that somewhere yesterday before I talked to them. The only issue is that there is a specific part that is needed that they don't have on stock. A DISH Over-the-Air Dual Tuner USB Adapter for Hopper is required on my system. Even if they did have it, they were going to charge me for the part. The antenna was free along with the installation but the adapter is over $60. I opted to stream CBS on their dime instead.

Well cord cutting may become an issue depending on if the idiot Trump appointed as the head of the FCC actually kills net neutrality.

December 14th will be a cold day..

Well cord cutting may become an issue depending on if the idiot Trump appointed as the head of the FCC actually kills net neutrality.

December 14th will be a cold day..
the guy used to be a lawyer for Verizon..this is such a bribed up bought up deal...Gatekeeper greed. Almost as bad as the things go boom crowd

Made the decision to give up the NFL and NHL Networks for a change to DirecTV Now. Losing those two channels but gaining many others for the same price seemed like the obvious choice. I've only had it for two days now, but haven't encountered any issues which is a relief since it was plagued with issues when it first came out.

Last edited:
I have a Smart TV. Not sure what is required to use YouTube TV. Don't have internet at home currently so will see when I reconnect in late January.

UPDATE: This is the only month I'll be using Directv Now. This thing buffers way too often, and it's not my Internet connection because Sling and Playstation Vue worked just fine.

Pretty worried after gatekeepers Comcast, Verizon, and ATT have taken over most of the internet after they repealed the net neutrality laws. Other countries that don't have net neutrality laws have to choose which programming packages they will buy with their phones. They can add fees to Netflix, YouTube etc. on down the line, slow down sites that don't play.

Pretty worried after gatekeepers Comcast, Verizon, and ATT have taken over most of the internet after they repealed the net neutrality laws. Other countries that don't have net neutrality laws have to choose which programming packages they will buy with their phones. They can add fees to Netflix, YouTube etc. on down the line, slow down sites that don't play.

The streaming stuff is on the verge of pricing themselves out of business. The music industry is already facing problems on that front.

Everyone's gonna start pulling their stuff off Netflix and Hulu and even off cable (see: Disney, CBS) and on their own apps. $12 for Netflix, $10 for Amazon, $8 for CBS, whatever Disney's will cost, whatever ESPN+ will cost..... that's all going to add up quick.

And I think Net Neutrality is gonna hurt too.

It's already started. I got this email today from Cox Cable charging for streaming.

Stream Seamlessly with Contour Flex Starter

Get five TV streams delivered straight to your devices with Contour Flex Starter for $20 per month for 24 months. No equipment necessary!

Enhance Your Entertainment with Contour Flex Starter only for $20
per month for 24 months

So comcast screwed up my bill yet again for the third month in a row, went to online to chat with a rep and told him if it doesn't get fixed and we don't get credit, I'm done. They came back with a sweet deal for a year, credit, all the movies and sports channels, plus 2 boxes and same price we were paying. Comcast must be getting desperate and losing too many customers, now I can watch boring Nascar all I want, plus the truck and Arca races....yippee.

The streaming stuff is on the verge of pricing themselves out of business. The music industry is already facing problems on that front.

Everyone's gonna start pulling their stuff off Netflix and Hulu and even off cable (see: Disney, CBS) and on their own apps. $12 for Netflix, $10 for Amazon, $8 for CBS, whatever Disney's will cost, whatever ESPN+ will cost..... that's all going to add up quick.

And I think Net Neutrality is gonna hurt too.

Every channel simply having their own app would basically be a la carte like people want, but the prices they would charge would NOT make it worth it at all.

Every channel simply having their own app would basically be a la carte like people want, but the prices they would charge would NOT make it worth it at all.

With cable, most channels are less than $1 in carriage fees. An a la carte package, you could essentially get everything you want, if it went that way, for $30. I upped my package with DIRECTV and it's something around $50/month... if I went to streaming, I'd already be at that just with Playstation Vue.

Personally, I'm okay with what I have now (DIRECTV) and don't plan to switch back to streaming any time soon. I get HBO for free, plus I get MAVTV, CBS Sports Network, Smithsonian, BBC World News and a few other random channels that aren't available on Playstation Vue or YouTube TV.

And I find myself watching Smithsonian A LOT.

Yay! PS Vue finally updated their interface on the Roku. The guide actually looks like a normal cable guide now, where before it was a clunky nightmare to get around.

Yay! PS Vue finally updated their interface on the Roku. The guide actually looks like a normal cable guide now, where before it was a clunky nightmare to get around.

They've added a lot of local stations too.

How the **** is WRAL not on any streaming platform though? Don't get how one of the most powerful local news stations in the country can't get on board with this......

Went ahead and paid the $49.99 for the final three months of NHL.TV. If all goes well and the streams aren't complete crap, I may pick it up for next year.

Went ahead and paid the $49.99 for the final three months of NHL.TV. If all goes well and the streams aren't complete crap, I may pick it up for next year.
Are you able to get any of your home games for the team in your market? Are you able to get any of their away games?

The only thing preventing me from dropping satellite and going strictly streaming is the loss of our local sports network. I wouldn't be able to get any of our NHL or MLB games without an alternative. The way I read the subscription for the streaming NHL/MLB is that you don't get any of you home games. It is vague as to whether or not you even get the away games. It does seem that you get all of the out of market games.

Are you able to get any of your home games for the team in your market? Are you able to get any of their away games?

The only thing preventing me from dropping satellite and going strictly streaming is the loss of our local sports network. I wouldn't be able to get any of our NHL or MLB games without an alternative. The way I read the subscription for the streaming NHL/MLB is that you don't get any of you home games. It is vague as to whether or not you even get the away games. It does seem that you get all of the out of market games.

I will have to get back to you once I'm able to check that out. According to NHL.TV, it appears that Colorado is what will be blacked out for me, but by using Sling...Colorado and St Louis are both blacked out, so we'll see what happens. Aside from local teams, the nationally broadcast games are also blacked out (I couldn't watch the Boston vs Pittsburgh game through NHL.tv last night,) which I assume is the reason why you aren't able to watch the playoffs on the subscription. If they would only settle the blackout issue, I really think that they'd see a boom in the number of subscribers.

Back
Top Bottom