Cable cutters, rejoice

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by AndyMarquisLive, Jun 25, 2016.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Also, been loving the Roku 4K box I purchased. It's been a great addition to our entertainment setup.

LouieLouie likes this.
  2. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

Hey what are you guys using for a DVR? I'm looking into the Roku 4K or the amazon firestick right now and getting slingtv.

Tivo actually looks pretty good even though the up front cost is expensive but I don't think you can get slingtv on it, so it is a no go for me.

Maybe this is a dumb question. My issue is that my wife likes to watch shows on Bravo. Since SlingTV is basically live, I still need a DVR to rewind or record correct? Or does it act like Netflix and you just play the tv show you are interested in?

3. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

I don't know about Sling, but Playstation Vue has DVR and lets you rewind and pause and stuff.

LouieLouie likes this.
  4. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

Well I went for it last night and ended up with Slingtv Blue and 50% off the Roku Premiere+. I used my laptop to try out the service last night and it is pretty much as advertised. A live stream of the channels listed. The bonus was that Fox includes all of the regional sports channels such as Fox Sports Arizona, so I can follow the AZ Coyotes or Suns or Diamondbacks if I choose to.
    That being said, last night we watched a bunch of episodes of Impractical Jokers on Tru TV. lol.
    But I'm all set for race season which starts in 2-3 weeks with the Rolex 24 on FS1 and FS2.
    No DVR yet but I'm still looking into it.

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  5. Brentford

Brentford Crew Chief

I really like the channels that Sling has. The one reason why I haven't switched from Playstation Vue is that Sling doesn't allow you to log into Fox Sports Go or the NBC Sports App. Since I don't close enough to the towers for an antenna to work, being able to use the sports apps are a HUGE deal for me.

6. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

I might be completely confused by this, but why not download the SlingTV app and just watch the channels you want? It works on all devices and you can be logged in on multiple devices but you can't watch the same program, i.e. you can't have 2 devices both watching FS1 at the same time.

Or are there programs on FoxSportsGO that are not shown on one of the Fox, FS1, FS2, etc stations?
    I'm definitely still learning about slingtv so forgive me if I missed something in your question.

7. Brentford

Brentford Crew Chief

Live brodcasting of local stations such as NBC, ABC and Fox are only available in select markets. Because of that, I cant get the local stations though Sling or PS Vue, but I can use the NBC Sports App and Fox Sports to watch football and nascar that is shown on national television by using my PS vue login. For some reason, Sling hasnt worked out a deal with Fox Sports Go or the NBC Sports app. Kinda confusing.

LouieLouie and AndyMarquisLive like this.
  8. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger Go Kyle Go

Bump

9. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex I'm so unbothered and that is what bothers people

Xbox one + SlingTV = killer combo

10. AndyMarquisLive

The TV Anywhere is definitely a plus. If I move back to Raleigh, I'll be able to get all of them with an antenna anyways though. I do like the DVR with Vue though.

11. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

I looked into this but never really found any clear answers. Seems like it is the slightly less legal alternative so the "how-to" instructions are not well published anywhere that I could find.
    I'm sure it isn't that difficult, but you would need to do some real digging to find someone that would help you.

Bucky Badger likes this.
  12. Brentford

Brentford Crew Chief

Playstation Vue has just added 20 new CBS live feeds, one being our local feed here in Wichita. Doesn't really benefit me since I'll be ditching Internet at the end of the month anyway, but still a step in the right direction for sure.

13. AndyMarquisLive

Of course WNCT isn't on this list. :rolleyes: Our local stations suck.

Speaking of local stations, how is WRAL, the most advanced local TV station in the country, not on Vue?

Brentford likes this.
  14. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Did you ever get an answer to this? This is something that I've only just started researching as I'm thinking about using this option. Any pro's and con's?

15. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Car Chief

Whaaaaaaaa? NO INTERNET!!! W.T.F? How can anyone live w/o INTERNET?:flushed:

16. Brentford

Brentford Crew Chief

I mean, I still have my 10GB of 4g phone data. Once I move, I'll likely get home Internet again. This was just my way of saving a few bucks before moving.

17. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

@Bucky Badger, Just wondering of you tried Kodi on the Firestick yet? I went through the process yesterday of downloading/installing this on one of our firesticks. I watched several YouTube videos of the process. It was relatively easy and the results rewarding. I checked out only a small section of what is available with the basic installation and I was really impressed. A huge catalog of movies including recent releases. Live television and sports from all over the globe. Binge watchable content for the television series of choice. Its going to take a long time to realize what all content is available, I'm sure. This just may be the solution that I'm looking for when my Dish Network contract expires.

DWDawg likes this.
  18. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

As an Amazon Prime customer I find this interesting. Streaming Thursday night football games. Might be the start of something...

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  19. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Amazon Prime. Awesome service. Free shipping and free movies to boot. Now football. Okay, okay, not exactly free but worth every penny spent.

Clutch likes this.