Cable cutters, rejoice

My cable internet alone is $80 a month. It's really fast and reliable but if I had TV with it the total would be just over $200 a month.

My cable internet alone is $80 a month. It's really fast and reliable but if I had TV with it the total would be just over $200 a month.
$72.95 here for cable internet. I hate to think of what the cost would be to add cable HD/4K access to 6 service points. I think I'd see your $200 and raise you several $'s.

$72.95 here for cable internet. I hate to think of what the cost would be to add cable HD/4K access to 6 service points. I think I'd see your $200 and raise you several $'s.
Probably. I don't have 4K access and only have three service points. I have a Genie Gen 3, a 4K Genie Mini (the 4 K is not activated) and a standard receiver in the RV.

My A La Cart would include...

ABC
CBS
Fox
NBC
FS1
FS2
NBCSN
CNBC (For NHL Playoffs and rare times NASCAR sends their race here.)
NHL Network
HGTV
Tru TV
USA
Disney Channel
TWC
Travel Channel

ESPN has no NASCAR and no hockey, so I could easily live without their channels.

I can't touch that price with our local cable/internet provider. I'd pull the trigger on that deal, especially if it's a fast reliable connection.
Internet, phone, TV are 29.99 each here. So around $110 after the government gets their share. But they recently upgraded Internet to 200 mb as slowest service. I WAS paying extra for that speed. I only have one service point so that helps me alot. They now show an option for Internet & TV. Think it was $94 a month but that's w/o government fees. So again, probably $110. Cheap enough.

My phone and internet are on the same bill, comes out to $220/month. :eek:

AT&T just closed the loophole I used to get internet too, so I'm glad I bit the bullet last summer, otherwise I STILL wouldn't have internet access.

My phone and internet are on the same bill, comes out to $220/month. :eek:

AT&T just closed the loophole I used to get internet too, so I'm glad I bit the bullet last summer, otherwise I STILL wouldn't have internet access.
Damn $220 is a lot, I pay $100 less for cable and 2 phones.

I'd go to streaming, but you still need internet, high speed at that for it. There are no independent Internet providers in the area, it sucks.

I just have one, but then again...I only have one tv. I gave my Roku streaming stick that I got from signing with Sling to my dad. Should have kept it for when I travel.
Never thought about taking it with me. Does you use it at hotels that you stay at?

No cable internet?
What's the point in that, you are still bowing to Comcast, internet alone from them is $50, you don't get the discount unless you bundle. So $50 plus streaming service and I'm right back to same price I'm paying now for 250 channels, $110 plus taxes.

What's the point in that, you are still bowing to Comcast, internet alone from them is $50, you don't get the discount unless you bundle. So $50 plus streaming service and I'm right back to same price I'm paying now for 250 channels, $110 plus taxes.
I pay $72.95/month for my internet connection. Over $150.00 for Dish Network. Dropping Dish Network and going with Vue for $39.00/month will save me $111.00/month. That's why I'm doing it. I can only do it with high speed internet so that connection is a must.

I pay $72.95/month for my internet connection. Over $150.00 for Dish Network. Dropping Dish Network and going with Vue for $39.00/month will save me $111.00/month. That's why I'm doing it. I can only do it with high speed internet so that connection is a must.
Yeh you need high speed, say I just go with my Internet from Comcast, like the middle of the road speed, that's at least $50, plus streaming service with channels I want that's another $50. I'm saving like $10 for less channels, cable companies here got you cornered.

Never thought about taking it with me. Does you use it at hotels that you stay at?

See, I have never tried it but I assume if your hotel tv has an HDMI cable, it should work. I wouldn't think that Roku can only be used on your home network, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Yeh you need high speed, say I just go with my Internet from Comcast, like the middle of the road speed, that's at least $50, plus streaming service with channels I want that's another $50. I'm saving like $10 for less channels, cable companies here got you cornered.
Yeah, doesn't sound worth it for you.

I am going to get far less channels for that $39 but I'm losing channels that I don't watch. I only watch a handful outside of locals for sports. Vue's cheapest package has me covered with the exception of my Regional Sports Network but there are ways around that.

See, I have never tried it but I assume if your hotel tv has an HDMI cable, it should work. I wouldn't think that Roku can only be used on your home network, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.
No, it can be used away from home. I have two currently, one is here and the other is with my daughter in Philly.

I don't know if the televisions that you find in hotels use a proprietary connection of some kind or not. Like you said, with a HDMI connection, your all set.

Damn $220 is a lot, I pay $100 less for cable and 2 phones.

Two lines, mobile hotspot, unlimited data, high-end phone (Note 8). Adds up.

Don't really have a choice on most of that. None of the ISPs will provide service where I live. It would cost way too much to do so. Wilson County provides high speed internet access but they can't provide it out here because of state laws.

Two lines, mobile hotspot, unlimited data, high-end phone (Note 8). Adds up.

Don't really have a choice on most of that. None of the ISPs will provide service where I live. It would cost way too much to do so. Wilson County provides high speed internet access but they can't provide it out here because of state laws.
I have unlimited data too. $26 per phone.

People need to look into all the third parties that are gathering information from streaming and that some platforms don't encrypt what you are streaming.

Just ordered cable TV/Net/Phone. $114.95 + tax & "fees" for triple play package with HBO/Cinamax/Showtime. DVR, modem with wi-fi. Can cancel any time you want. 200 mb, 175 channels Ordered self install kit. Takes about 5 minutes to connect then you have to call to get stuff activated.

Last edited:
They DO now have a plan for internet and TV streaming. Get local channels and pick ten others from their list. I didn't see NBCSN though. 200mb internet $49.99 + 21.99 for TV streaming. But if you start adding DVR...meh. Cool thing is I ordered the triple play and they didn't even ask for payment info. Previous customer has perks. 5-7 days to receive install kit with DVR. I did install last time. Not much too it.

Last edited:
@AndyMarquisLive Just curious, what's the quality like on Lucas Oil TV? Thought about subscribing just to watch more racing and keep up a bit more with Arca, but not sure if the quality would make it worth it. I guess I could always subscribe for a month, but I don't wanna waste the $7.

I'm not Andy, but I've had it last year and so far this year, and the quality is first class. I'm still locked in at the old price of $60 for a year, and I've already got to watch about 7 or so dirt races with it so far. If you enjoy watching dirt racing as well, it's very much worth it.

I'm not Andy, but I've had it last year and so far this year, and the quality is first class. I'm still locked in at the old price of $60 for a year, and I've already got to watch about 7 or so dirt races with it so far. If you enjoy watching dirt racing as well, it's very much worth it.

Thanks, I might have to check it out. Dirt racing's fun, but aside from the truck series Eldora race, I've never actually watched it through a tv screen. Do you often find yourself watch the shows on there, or do you mainly tune in for the live events?

Mainly the live events. I've watched a few of the Dave Despain interview shows they have, those are good.

Signed up for YouTube TV free trial to get me through next few days. It appears you can't use it on Vizio Smart TV without a "streaming device'. WTF? Works fine on laptop but no cast option. YTTV don't show up in available apps on TV. Meh...

Works fine on laptop but no cast option.

Windows 10 can cast to a streaming device.

Most "SMART TVs" are worthless unless it's that TCL Roku TV or Samsung which has a ton of apps. And I refuse to buy that TCL TV because the price is just "too good to be true." $350 for a 55-inch 4K Smart TV? Yeah, no thanks. When I'm ready to upgrade to 4K, I'll spend the extra $200 for a Samsung.

Last edited:
Signed up for YouTube TV free trial to get me through next few days. It appears you can't use it on Vizio Smart TV without a "streaming device'. WTF? Works fine on laptop but no cast option. YTTV don't show up in available apps on TV. Meh...
A Roku Streaming Stick can be had on Amazon for $30. The Amazon Fire Stick is $40. Both capable of streaming HD. I've got both but I prefer the Roku. I just ordered 3 more Roku's last Thursday from Amazon. They are to be delivered tomorrow. I am preparing to drop Dish Network this month and move to strictly streaming. For us, we're starting with PlayStation Vue. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/ They have all of the stations that we watch in their cheapest package, $39.99, with the exception of our Regional Sports Network - AT&T Sports Net - Pittsburgh. I may or may not have found other means around that though.

You may want to also check Vizio's website to see if you can download additional apps to your TV. Here's a link for how to do it on Vizio televisions. https://support.vizio.com/s/article/How-to-add-an-App-to-your-VIZIO-Smart-TV?language=en_US I don't know if Youtube TV is one of the options though. Since you're on a free trial, you may want to try another service when your trial is over. There are plenty out there.

You could also try this..... I may or may not have a friend that purchased one of those $40 Amazon Fire Stick. He may or may not have went in search of how to crack the Fire Stick, opening it up in the developers mode. Once he may or may not have done that, he may or may not have downloaded a web browser to said Fire Stick. This may or may not have allowed him to download KODI. https://kodi.tv/ KODI is an awesome product that opens up streaming of all kinds of internet content. Put it this way, if it's on the internet, and everything's on the internet, it can be streamed through KODI. There are numerous video's on Youtube that explain this procedure step by step. It is also available via download to your PC so that you can stream from there. This friend that I may or may not know uses it for streaming live sports and very recently released movies.

Man, Vizios TV suck.

I bought one last year because my old one died and I wanted to try out a smart TV to see what all the fuzz was about.

Took me a couple of hours to grow out of the fad. Vizio pushes you to use your mobile as a remote control device. The remote that comes with it does nothing but turn the TV on and off.

Later that same day I went back and returned it for a good old fashion plain HD tv and I still have that one.

I stream most of my stuff through the PS3/4 and I also bought a Chromecast stick and cast stuff from there all the time.

I had a PS Vue subscription for a while. Liked it but decided not to re-upped because I get most of my stuff online anyways for free.

I’ll go to streaming when I can flip channels while watching. Bugs the **** out of me that I have to exit out to go back to the guide

A Roku Streaming Stick can be had on Amazon for $30. The Amazon Fire Stick is $40. Both capable of streaming HD. I've got both but I prefer the Roku. I just ordered 3 more Roku's last Thursday from Amazon. They are to be delivered tomorrow. I am preparing to drop Dish Network this month and move to strictly streaming. For us, we're starting with PlayStation Vue. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/ They have all of the stations that we watch in their cheapest package, $39.99, with the exception of our Regional Sports Network - AT&T Sports Net - Pittsburgh. I may or may not have found other means around that though.

You may want to also check Vizio's website to see if you can download additional apps to your TV. Here's a link for how to do it on Vizio televisions. https://support.vizio.com/s/article/How-to-add-an-App-to-your-VIZIO-Smart-TV?language=en_US I don't know if Youtube TV is one of the options though. Since you're on a free trial, you may want to try another service when your trial is over. There are plenty out there.

You could also try this..... I may or may not have a friend that purchased one of those $40 Amazon Fire Stick. He may or may not have went in search of how to crack the Fire Stick, opening it up in the developers mode. Once he may or may not have done that, he may or may not have downloaded a web browser to said Fire Stick. This may or may not have allowed him to download KODI. https://kodi.tv/ KODI is an awesome product that opens up streaming of all kinds of internet content. Put it this way, if it's on the internet, and everything's on the internet, it can be streamed through KODI. There are numerous video's on Youtube that explain this procedure step by step. It is also available via download to your PC so that you can stream from there. This friend that I may or may not know uses it for streaming live sports and very recently released movies.
This is all great , but you still need internet to do all this, I got pissed at Comcast yesterday again. They screwed up our bill once again, went round and round with a rep supervisor about it. Long story short I'm canceling comcast after this bill cycle is up, I'm tired of their crap, huge fees and poor customer service. So now I'll be stuck with just an antenna if I don't find some way to get internet other than through Comcast which is way too expensive.

Hey guys when people on here are talking about Nascar steams are they talking about a stream that people pay for in some package or is it some pirate thing. If a pirate thing is it legal or not or maybe gray area. If anyone answers can you act like you are talking someone whose been asleep for 25 years hahaha.

Hey guys when people on here are talking about Nascar steams are they talking about a stream that people pay for in some package or is it some pirate thing. If a pirate thing is it legal or not or maybe gray area. If anyone answers can you act like you are talking someone whose been asleep for 25 years hahaha.

From what I've read and heard, illegal streams are only illegal to the person streaming it. If you are simply watching the stream, you aren't actually breaking any laws.

From what I've read and heard, illegal streams are only illegal to the person streaming it. If you are simply watching the stream, you aren't actually breaking any laws.

Thanks as I am looking into changing some things but want to do it all legal so what you say sounds real good.

Okay. Paired Android phone to TV. Watching FS1 right now on TV using phone as internet source. Interestingly enough no commercials. Screen goes black with TV Advertisment PAUSE DON'T GO ANYWHERE on screen.

Back
Top Bottom