Car numbers on rear quarter panels

Yeah JR has said on his podcast there's a lot of NASCAR decisions that he's indifferent on, but this topic is a hill that he's willing to die on lol.
Yea I’m the same in regards to not liking it but oh well Im not dying on that hill and still going to watch that race, it’s an All Star Race at Bristol!

They could go a step further and give the sponsors the full car with no numbers at all and just put one of those lighted signs on top showing the number like the pizza delivery cars have. On second thought... that would just be something else they would have to regulate and tech for aerodynamics.:)

They could go a step further and give the sponsors the full car with no numbers at all and just put one of those lighted signs on top showing the number like the pizza delivery cars have. On second thought... that would just be something else they would have to regulate and tech for aerodynamics.:)
Put a lit number in the window like they do IMSA cars.

Well at the risk of being called touched, death bedder, and whatever else, I hate this idea. Number should be on the side of the car. The number is integral to identifying your favorite driver and since we have an influx of new fans due to NASCAR supporting the BLM movement, I would think the way to identify a driver should stay consistent. Plus it just doesn’t look professional to me, it likes like a paint booth creation from a Gran Turismo game or something of that nature.
It looks like it’s out of a video game but that’s what appeals to younger viewers. Doesn’t bother me at all

I’d like to hear from The Apologist.

Also PreviousJackman.

I just find it odd, to complain about something we really not seen yet.

Who's to say some of these paint schemes could look awesome? I mean we get some pretty ****** ones with the way we got the cars now, so I'm willing to give anything a chance that doesn't change the actual racing.

That sponsor logo isn't much bigger than on the regular scheme.
1592310120237.png

1592310155010.png

It doesn't mater to me how they decorate the car. NASCAR often uses the All Star race to try things. It used to be easier to ID a car when they had a single sponsor for the season - the cars had the same colors every race. With the advent of body wraps they can change the look every race even with a single sponsor.

These are some of the most iconic paint schemes ever, I would take my pick with the tried and true method rather than something a "fan council" voted on. Generations and legions of fans were built on these schemes, which if you ask me is more likely than this new potential method of branding. But thats just me. I could be wrong though, and this might be a big hit. Who knows.
View attachment 47366
View attachment 47367
View attachment 47368
View attachment 47369
View attachment 47370
View attachment 47371
In my opinion it is the driver that made the car iconic, thus the paint scheme is iconic.

As an example, I believe that Bubba Wallace’s USAF scheme is one of the best all time in the sport. He’s just not upfront on a consistent basis to make it iconic.

Even Jeff Burton’s Prilosec schemes were awesome. Not that memorable.

The nostalgia and performance behind the car makes the scheme memorable.

All they did is offset the number slightly to the right, yet I never seen so many fans be pissed about moving the number.

Yet, we survived the caution clock, addition of playoffs, tapered spacers, addition of overtime rules, double file restarts, and god the God awful races of New Hampshire 2000 and the 2008 Brickyard.

Yet we can't stand moving a number somewhat for sponsor placement due to the shorted decklid on the upcoming Gen-7. It's just a test folks, its not the end of the world. It might happen, it might not. Can we focus on the quality of racing?

My head hurts.

I’d like to hear from The Apologist.

Also PreviousJackman.

Whatever the Apologist and Apologist Jr. say is OK with me, because we all know that NASCAR is infallible and every decision they make and every idea they have is pure gold. I don't even know why we have these threads because once they have spoken there really isn't anything left to discuss.

^ Hyperbole defined.

“ I have no valid argument. Time for some over the top exaggeration ... that’ll work.”

I'm open to this. The stated purpose... "to see if it gives sponsors better branding." If it does work better for sponsors, that means a lot. That means more money for the race teams, which most of them seriously need.

Also, paint schemes on the side of the car can be better. Man, I hate it when the numbers interrupt some righteous flames or scallops on the door.

It looks jarring because it's different. Fans can adjust to that PDQ in my opinion.
It can't be better branding if the fans hate it. Reading posts on twitter, 90% of the fans hate it

After reading all of the posters views on this thread I realize there are a few here that doesn't realize just how anal sponsors are about their name placement, color, font, size and many other things. The sponsors will send a team the information on a computer about what they want and how they want it, and then the graphics team will make a few designs on the computer and send them back to the sponsors to look at. Obviously the associate sponsors doesn't get as much of a choice as the major sponsor. This can be a very time consuming ordeal depending on just how anal the sponsors are before they give their approval...and no car gets wrapped without their final approval. I have worked on teams where we had food or drink sponsors and if we wanted to drink a competitors drink we had to pour it in a cup at the track. When we had fast food restaurants or convenience stores as a major then were not suppose to wear any shirts with that sponsors logo on it if we went into a competitors store. If you want their money you need to give them what they want.

After reading all of the posters views on this thread I realize there are a few here that doesn't realize just how anal sponsors are about their name placement, color, font, size and many other things. The sponsors will send a team the information on a computer about what they want and how they want it, and then the graphics team will make a few designs on the computer and send them back to the sponsors to look at. Obviously the associate sponsors doesn't get as much of a choice as the major sponsor. This can be a very time consuming ordeal depending on just how anal the sponsors are before they give their approval...and no car gets wrapped without their final approval. I have worked on teams where we had food or drink sponsors and if we wanted to drink a competitors drink we had to pour it in a cup at the track. When we had fast food restaurants or convenience stores as a major then were not suppose to wear any shirts with that sponsors logo on it if we went into a competitors store. If you want their money you have to give them what they want.
Suarez lost a sponsor for eating something he shouldn't have and getting filmed outside doing it on social media

^ Hyperbole defined.

“ I have no valid argument. Time for some over the top exaggeration ... that’ll work.”

OK, how's this? I Don't like it. I don't like it for the way it looks, and I don't like it for stomping on yet another tradition. It has sort of a desperate feel to it, like the girl that wants SO MUCH for you to like her she will say and do anything. It might be fun for a while, then it just gets pathetic. As for hyperbole and exaggeration, give me the last two times you disagreed with either NASCAR, the TV networks, or the RTA. Even the actual Apologist doesn't tow the company line as hard as you do.

Lines are toed, not towed.

An “I know you are but what am I?” response was expected. I’m here for the racing. I am not here for the whining and snivelling every time NASCAR runs its operation like it’s 2020 rather than 2004 or 1977.

Let's see, I know there's one around here somewhere ... Nope, not under there. Maybe in the garage? ... Did I leave one in the car AGAIN?

Sorry, I can't find a damn to give. It has absolutely no effect on the racing. it doesn't affect the cost to the teams, and may possibly increase their sponsorship opportunities.

I suspect a lot of "It's ugly!" translates to "It's not what I'm used to!". I'm on record (endlessly) as regarding tradition as a lousy reason to keep doing something, especially when it's the only reason to not make a change.

Now, if you want a possibly legitimate reason to object, the rear corners get banged up and taped over a lot more than the sides. That's usually damage that will obscure the number beyond readability. But if NASCAR is okay with that, I don't care.

Let's talk about something I do care about, the roof number. Isn't it time to turn that sucker around so it faces the TV cameras and it can be read from the stands? In this day of onboard telemetry and scoring lines, does anyone still count laps manually in the infield? Is a car even allowed to continue running if the tracker stops working?

And where the Hell is that rear window LED display with the position number that we were promised years ago. IMSA has it, Indy has it, but NOOOOOOO, not the most popular series in the country.

Let's see, I know there's one around here somewhere ... Nope, not under there. Maybe in the garage? ... Did I leave one in the car AGAIN?

Sorry, I can't find a damn to give. It has absolutely no effect on the racing. it doesn't affect the cost to the teams, and may possibly increase their sponsorship opportunities.

I suspect a lot of "It's ugly!" translates to "It's not what I'm used to!". I'm on record (endlessly) as regarding tradition as a lousy reason to keep doing something, especially when it's the only reason to not make a change.

Now, if you want a possibly legitimate reason to object, the rear corners get banged up and taped over a lot more than the sides. That's usually damage that will obscure the number beyond readability. But if NASCAR is okay with that, I don't care.

Let's talk about something I do care about, the roof number. Isn't it time to turn that sucker around so it faces the TV cameras and it can be read from the stands? In this day of onboard telemetry and scoring lines, does anyone still count laps manually in the infield? Is a car even allowed to continue running if the tracker stops working?

And where the Hell is that rear window LED display with the position number that we were promised years ago. IMSA has it, Indy has it, but NOOOOOOO, not the most popular series in the country.
Probably because the roof number can be read on the back stretch side right side up. :idunno:

In my opinion it is the driver that made the car iconic, thus the paint scheme is iconic.

As an example, I believe that Bubba Wallace’s USAF scheme is one of the best all time in the sport. He’s just not upfront on a consistent basis to make it iconic.

Even Jeff Burton’s Prilosec schemes were awesome. Not that memorable.

The nostalgia and performance behind the car makes the scheme memorable.
Fair enough. My Preference is just the way those cars looked as opposed to what we will be seeing in the All Star Race. Its not for me I am a traditionalist when it comes to racing, but I hope I will be proved wrong in this instance. If it's a way to drum it more sponsorship for teams obviously who am I to step in the way of that? We'll be tuning in July 15th regardless, even if to me the cars look a bit like a Too Fast Too Furious movie.

Lines are toed, not towed.

An “I know you are but what am I?” response was expected. I’m here for the racing. I am not here for the whining and snivelling every time NASCAR runs its operation like it’s 2020 rather than 2004 or 1977.

So in other words, we are just to take the gospel that is NASCAR word by word and never have an independent thought.

So in other words, we are just to take the gospel that is NASCAR word by word and never have an independent thought.
Just use the words I chose. Other words are not required and add nothing to the conversation.

Nobody has suggested anything about a NASCAR "gospel". Your thoughts are your own. The reality is that most people are not in favor of this idea. Some of those people are OUTRAGED. I'm sorry but there are bigger fish to fry.

Back
Top Bottom