Car numbers on rear quarter panels

I don’t like it. I’m usually open to Nascar’s changes but I would prefer this one not happen. I can’t imagine that it really changes anything as far as sponsors go - I doubt a sponsor is gonna say “well I wasn’t gonna invest until I found out my name goes on the door.” They might like it but I doubt it changes anyone’s mind one way or the other. If that’s true, it’s purely aesthetic and I don’t like the look. I prefer the number on the door.

That said, I wouldn’t get too worked up about it. It’s just a dang number.

popcorn-muncher.gif

I am no longer agnostic. I'm in favor of the approach they've settled on and think it's an improvement, both over the current layout and quarter panel numbers. I don't like the generic template they drew up, and I think it's misleading. I think the actual schemes will be similar to what a lot of dirt late model teams are doing with the slid back numbers.

l4y5f720vlc41.jpg

This makes me wonder why they ever bother introducing anything with generic sample schemes. They always suck and aren't representative of anything that ends up on the track.

And even more difficult on an F1 car.

Fortunately, no-one has "quit" the sport. Yet. I'm sure when aroundgoes hears about this he'll quit again.
Well, I was never an F1 fan but their numbers have certainly been one if the reasons I haven’t made the effort. I couldn’t tell you where they are but even if I could see them, the onscreen pylon doesn’t use them anyway.

I like the change and actually think it looks good. Putting the sponsorship where the car number is on the door seems like a natural, its not interrupted and just flows better to my eye. As far as needing the car number to identify the car because sponsors and car schemes change you can still easily see the number. Besides if you can get on a forum and chat about things you certainly can get on the NASCAR website and see the cars scheme and what sponsor they are running for the week.

Changing it in the truck series is the biggest head scratcher, as they've got that massive bed cover area to slap a huge logo on. Oh well.
Changing it in the truck series is the biggest head scratcher, as they've got that massive bed cover area to slap a huge logo on. Oh well.
How often do they get an overhead shot of the bed cover would be my question compared to showing the truck from the side.

How often do they get an overhead shot of the bed cover would be my question compared to showing the truck from the side.
Fair, but it shows in the banking in the corners. By that logic, why put anything on the hood?

Fair, but it shows in the banking in the corners. By that logic, why put anything on the hood?
Primary sponsors have always paid the most for their badging on the side of the car/truck. I don't agree with that logic, those surfaces are just worth less than the side area.

I say print the number on View Thru and stick it to the front windshield.

This is not exactly the best way to integrate scheme and sponsor with the new layout.

• Sad
Reactions: Pat
Let's see, I know there's one around here somewhere ... Nope, not under there. Maybe in the garage? ... Did I leave one in the car AGAIN?

Sorry, I can't find a damn to give. It has absolutely no effect on the racing. it doesn't affect the cost to the teams, and may possibly increase their sponsorship opportunities.

I suspect a lot of "It's ugly!" translates to "It's not what I'm used to!". I'm on record (endlessly) as regarding tradition as a lousy reason to keep doing something, especially when it's the only reason to not make a change.

Now, if you want a possibly legitimate reason to object, the rear corners get banged up and taped over a lot more than the sides. That's usually damage that will obscure the number beyond readability. But if NASCAR is okay with that, I don't care.

Let's talk about something I do care about, the roof number. Isn't it time to turn that sucker around so it faces the TV cameras and it can be read from the stands? In this day of onboard telemetry and scoring lines, does anyone still count laps manually in the infield? Is a car even allowed to continue running if the tracker stops working?

And where the Hell is that rear window LED display with the position number that we were promised years ago. IMSA has it, Indy has it, but NOOOOOOO, not the most popular series in the country.
FWIW Indy got rid of the LED panels late last year after trying three different versions with two different vendors; the roll hoop just has larger numbers now. At some speeds the vibrations and electronics get screwed up I think.

This is not exactly the best way to integrate scheme and sponsor with the new layout.

That doesn't work for reasons beyond the number placement. It looks like the scheme was designed first without consideration of the sponsor's rectangular logo. Too many flames, not enough gray. Use white as the base color and enlarge the orange and gray objects so they frame the entire side, with the logo and number where they are.

I don't know what's with the black trapazoids on the quarters. If they represent a secondary sponsor, they don't do a good job.

Last edited:
I hate it. I think it looks "unbalanced" for lack of a better word. Moving the number to a different location on these cars is just not aesthetically appealing to me.

Will I lose sleep over it? No, but I probably won't buy diecasts anymore if they change it.

Shocking that this even matters. If MY Toyotas are fast enough, I can't even see the numbers when they fly by.

I think any of the left side will work. Better visibility for cars being able to see it when they go to lap it.

Bottom left. I don't like any with the stars, and I really don't like the middle left at all.

Get a good look at them here. Whichever one they choose, you'll only see it when it's being lapped.

Just saw a clip of video game racing on Facebook where the numbers are this way. It could make it hard not seeing the number where the same sponsor is used across several cars on a team. I don’t like it and I hope it doesn’t stick.

Just saw a clip of video game racing on Facebook where the numbers are this way. It could make it hard not seeing the number where the same sponsor is used across several cars on a team. I don’t like it and I hope it doesn’t stick.
I could see it being a problem if the cars were close to the greenish yellow of the numbers without much contrast.

If it was up to me they’d leave them on the side panel. Id also try and get more contrast on the ones that are hard to make out. I swear on some cars it looks intentional.

As to the quarter panel, I’d think a lot more cars would have their numbers rendered unreadable from accidents etc. Scraping the wall seems to mess with the rear quarter more than anyplace else on the car.

Back
Top Bottom