Carl Edwards

ted@economy

in the interest of equal time
During the pre race show Saturday night Carl was being pushed hard by DW about his contract negotiations with Roush . He asked Carl if he could ever win a championship with Roush and Carl was caught off guard . Is there speculation that Carl might move next year . DW gave that impression . Where could he go to get a better ride?

Carl is in a contract year...If he's smart he'll go elsewhere...I'd love to see him with Penske

From Jayski...
Edwards not commenting on contract negotiations UPDATE: #99-Carl Edwards talked to the media Friday at Kansas Speedway:
You mentioned contracts. Has there been progress? "You guys know that I don't like to talk about that stuff in the media. To me, that is business and I have made the mistake of letting that turn into a big media thing before so I would rather not talk about that and keep that between me and Jack and Steve Newmark."
Are some teams more enticing that others? "Part of me not talking about it would be not answering that question."(Ford Racing)(5-10-2014)
UPDATE: #99-Carl Edwards has played his cards extremely close to the vest on whether or not he'll remain with Roush Fenway Racing once his contract expires at the end of this season. But before Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Kansas Speedway, Edwards was left flustered and stammered a bit when Fox Sports announcer Darrell Waltrip came right out and asked Edwards bluntly, "Can you win a championship at Roush?" It was rather obvious Edwards was taken back by Waltrip's question and was not prepared for it. "That's a good question," Edwards said. "I think we can, I mean we've been very close. We sure looked real close at it, but we just haven't got it done. It's been 10 years and really, overall that's my goal. I believe if I work hard enough and Roush works hard enough, I believe we can do it." But then Edwards may have inadvertently slipped and gave what appeared to be a potential hint that he very well may be in his last year at RFR. "There's not a better year than this year with Jimmy Fennig, the Chase format, and finishing Ford Championship Weekend at Homestead, so yes, I know we can and we have to do it this year. We've just got to keep digging," Edwards said. The key phrase in that quote: "We have to do it this year." Such a phrase, at least on the surface, gives the implication that winning a championship - or at least coming close - will be the ultimate decision-maker for Edwards to remain at RFR for another three seasons. That, plus his comment about being at RFR for 10 years and having no Cup championships to show for it, are also good hints for clue hunters.(NBC Sports)(5-11-2014)

Biffle is in a contract year also if I remember right. Just a month or so he said they were close to a deal but I've heard nothing since, has anyone heard anything?

Over the years I've heard stories that Jack is tight fisted. That his basic contract pays less along with a lesser percent of winnings and a higher take on souvenir sales. True or not I don't know but for Roush being the #1 Ford team at one time he's quickly heading for the bottom of the barrel.

HMS, not a chance. Penske, not likely that they'd want to mess with what they've got going on,
JGR...Edwards, Hamlin and Busch all on the team....sure why not. LOL

IMO, Edwards is playing the same game he did last time his contract was due and he better hope that he gets a nibble or two this time as well.

Roush gave Carl 2 solid chances to win a championship, and he blew them both. Nobody to blame but himself for not getting it done.

Biffle is in a contract year also if I remember right. Just a month or so he said they were close to a deal but I've heard nothing since, has anyone heard anything?

Over the years I've heard stories that Jack is tight fisted. That his basic contract pays less along with a lesser percent of winnings and a higher take on souvenir sales. True or not I don't know but for Roush being the #1 Ford team at one time he's quickly heading for the bottom of the barrel.

Same here and have yet to ever see a shred of proof.

I doubt Matt or Brad pull for Carl to come race on their team. Both have had some bad experiences with Eddy Haskill.

Carl is in a contract year...If he's smart he'll go elsewhere...I'd love to see him with Penske

I read an AP report that when asked, Penske said that he is not talking to Carl.

I'd like to see a 4th JGR car.
But, I think Ford is invested in Edwards and he is more likely to go to Penske.

I think that MWR will expand to a third car with either Biffle or Carl--most likely Biff. I don't see Carl in a JGR ride after the last contract jack around. Biff at JGR--if he brings a wad of cash. Carl stays at Roush.

HMS, not a chance. Penske, not likely that they'd want to mess with what they've got going on,
JGR...Edwards, Hamlin and Busch all on the team....sure why not. LOL

IMO, Edwards is playing the same game he did last time his contract was due and he better hope that he gets a nibble or two this time as well.

Edwards and game playing +1. This was anticipated during the last negotiations, and even with that, he pulled it off. He is very, very good at it--represents himself I think. Stays at Roush, and he might give Jack the basement to live in after going through this twice and all of the money it will cost him. I doubt that Ford will be so generous because the have a Champion (Kez), a promising youngster (Joey--yup, still young), and a legend (Mr. Penske) in the family this time.

Edwards and game playing +1. This was anticipated during the last negotiations, and even with that, he pulled it off. He is very, very good at it--represents himself I think. Stays at Roush, and he might give Jack the basement to live in after going through this twice and all of the money it will cost him. I doubt that Ford will be so generous because the have a Champion (Kez), a promising youngster (Joey--yup, still young), and a legend (Mr. Penske) in the family this time.
Joey's still young? But he drives like such a veteran :p lol... I'd like to see Carl at Penske but I dont see it happening.. theyve been preaching youth lately and I just dont see Carl being a great fit with Brad and Joey... who are clearly not going anywhere. Blaney on his way up too.

Ive heard some rumours about Carl going to Penske but I thik theyre about as accurate as him going to JGR in 2012. Silly season... :rolleyes:
I believe that Gibbs was more than willing to take him but he got what he wanted from Roush.

JGR had to settle for Kenseth:), leaving RFR somewhat in the tank ever since.

I think that MWR will expand to a third car with either Biffle or Carl--most likely Biff. I don't see Carl in a JGR ride after the last contract jack around. Biff at JGR--if he brings a wad of cash. Carl stays at Roush.
3M is very loyal to Biffle. They'll follow him wherever he goes, so I don't think he'll have trouble finding a good ride.

Considering that Carl tried to kill Brad twice in 2010, Penske probably wouldn't be a good fit for him. If he leaves RFR, Carl better hope JGR, MWR, or RCR plan to expand.

I hear Carl and Biff are taking their sponsor money and starting their own team. Biffle - Edwards racing.
They might have some growing pains but they will be a new powerhouse.
They'll be running dodges next year too. Edwards picked up a new healthy food sponsor too - lean cuisine.

Gibbs releases Hamlin, hires Edwards to drive the 11, Hamlin goes to the 99 Roush.

Considering that Carl tried to kill Brad twice in 2010, Penske probably wouldn't be a good fit for him. If he leaves RFR, Carl better hope JGR, MWR, or RCR plan to expand.

I remember that now. Brad had it coming at the time and it put a stop to his dirty driving if memory serves me.

Just thinking about how Kenseth , Kurt Busch and Harvick have left perfectly good situations lately to greatly improve their financial status . Like him or not , Carl is a perennial top ten driver who would be an asset to any of the teams mentioned .He's got to be looking at those other three and dreaming of bigger bucks .

Just thinking about how Kenseth , Kurt Busch and Harvick have left perfectly good situations lately to greatly improve their financial status . Like him or not , Carl is a perennial top ten driver who would be an asset to any of the teams mentioned .He's got to be looking at those other three and dreaming of bigger bucks .

Kenseth and Harvick did not leave perfectly good situations to improve their finanial situations. The writing was on the wall for both of them, they knew it and did what they had to do.

Edwards got exactly what he wanted from Roush and failed to produce a championship, so far.

Kenseth and Harvick did not leave perfectly good situations to improve their finanial situations. The writing was on the wall for both of them, they knew it and did what they had to do.

Edwards got exactly what he wanted from Roush and failed to produce a championship, so far.

Maybe so but its clear Penske has taken over as the number one ford team. Carl is a really good driver. Any team would be lucky to have him.

Im not sure money is a big issue really... I could be way off but Im pretty sure these guys just want to be with an organization that will give them what they need to win races. That's what really brings the money anyway.

Just my opinion and I don't know crap ; but Kenseth left Roush and Harvick left Childress . They aren't start and park teams . I don't know what they knew .

Just my opinion and I don't know crap ; but Kenseth left Roush and Harvick left Childress . They aren't start and park teams . I don't know what they knew .

Kenseth knew that they weren't going to put a 2nd seat in the #17 so Stenhouse could be his co-pilot and Harvick knew that Menard brings his own money, while Childress has two grandsons about to need cup rides.

If they improved their financial status - as you stated they have done - is something that I don't know.

I dont have any insider knowledge, but I know this much, Carl is good enough to win a title and he is very marketable.

I think Penske or MWR would be foolish not pursue him . I also see no reason for Penske to worry about what Brad thinks. Since joining the team Joey has outperformed Brad and he has demonstrated more maturity.

I wouldn't have said it in 2012, but at the moment I think Edwards is lot more mentally stable than Brad. Bringing in Edwards is a good way to wake Brad back up, he has not handled the title sucess well, and he certainly could benefit from being humbled. A young impressionable Lagano also needs a better role model, and after some humbling the self absorbed Brad would benefit too.

With Edwards abilities and Penske prestige, and Fords investment it makes sense, and the dollars rule (not Brad)

I would also make a big offer to Darrian Grubb, if Hamlin stays with JGR the meltdowns will come. Hamlin has milked all the blame he can from Logano, and Grubb will only become a better option.
Grubb could be released or see the hand writing on the wall.

He also would benefit being with a driver that isnt a crybaby like Hamlin or Stewart.

If Gordon wins the title and retires hendrick would be licking his chops to put carl in the 24. Then after 2015 he could put chase in the 5 and dump kahne. I'm a kasey kahne fan but Edwards is a great talent

Does Penske and Roush share information and such? I don't see that continuing if Penske were to poach Edwards.

If Gordon wins the title and retires hendrick would be licking his chops to put carl in the 24. Then after 2015 he could put chase in the 5 and dump kahne. I'm a kasey kahne fan but Edwards is a great talent

All speculation but I am thinking Elliotts future ride is Hendricks first concern. Long term designs for getting Larson could be on the agenda too.

In contrast Penske and MWR, and JGR has the room to add Edwards in without displacing anyone.

All speculation but I am thinking Elliotts future ride is Hendricks first concern. Long term designs for getting Larson could be on the agenda too.

In contrast Penske and MWR, and JGR has the room to add Edwards in without displacing anyone.

Very true. If I see any team doing that it would be JGR.

Back
Top Bottom