Carl Edwards

That was a "what can I say without screwing up" moment.

Why would he essentially take a step down? Ganassi is a midfield team, at best. Some odd performances here and there...

Maybe I'm too harsh, more of a step sideways.
I was just throwin it out there...I mean where else can he go?...my guess is he stays at RFR...

anyone notice the 12 car has been out on the track lately?? It is scheduled to run more races too. I can't help but wonder if the 12 car is being put out there so that it puts in place the people and resources to run that car full time next year. Basically it looks to me like they are polishing up and preparing. I would think carl edwards HAS to be the number one guy on their radar over there.

roush lost kenseth because the sponsorship just wasn't there. jack ran that car out of his pocket for much of the season. Lack of money is showing its face at roush big time. If I am carl edwards I would rather move to MWR than stay driving for jack.

Times really do change. What happened to the Roush-Yates partnership anyways? They used to build some rockets until after Kennseth won his championship. I'd say 07 onwards?

All speculation but I am thinking Elliotts future ride is Hendricks first concern. Long term designs for getting Larson could be on the agenda too.

In contrast Penske and MWR, and JGR has the room to add Edwards in without displacing anyone.

This doesn't get mentioned much but I think you're bang on with that statement. I believe HMS knows they need to get younger and if they could poach Larson and keep Elliot they'll be set for many years to come.

As far as Edwards is concerned, he's playing the game he has to. If a better ride materializes then he'll snatch it and not look back, and if not he'll just resign with RFR. I think with the Ford support, Penske could probably expand to a 3rd car for him. Either that or JGR would be the only situations that would be a step up IMO.

Just a side note and it could be completely unrelated but Penske did ask Miller Light to reduce the number of races they are the main sponsor for this year, so Team Penske could sell even more sponsorship. They could be positioning themselves to going back to 3 cars and it seems they've had no problems securing sponsorship lately, couple that with them surpassing RFR in on track performance and the jump for Edwards would be a natural move.

Meanwhile RFR continues to crumble...

Is Joe Gibbs Racing ready to expand? with Edwards? With silly season in full swing, it's not surprising that Joe Gibbs is in the middle of it. Over the last month, the rumors of Carl Edwards considering a move to JGR have picked up considerably. But Coach says it would take a lot for JGR to add a fourth team. "I'm not going to guess on stuff and the rumors and everything," Gibbs said. "We get into this every year and there's a period we kind of got to go through, I've come to feel." When asked specifically about Edwards, Gibbs would not offer a definitive answer. "Anything that's going on right now, to me, is kind of that rumor time - and I don't think I need to be commenting on it," Gibbs said. "So many times when the top guys come up, everybody in the sport kind of looks at it. There's a couple of guys this year - that are on their last year, so it kind of happens." JGR expanded to three full-time teams in 2005, but moved to three full-time drivers with the addition of Denny Hamlin in 2006. Inevitably, it's a question as to whether a fourth team makes sense for JGR. "We have said for the last five years that when things come up we have always looked at it," Gibbs said. "But it's hard to do. Like I've said, it's extremely hard to do cause you've get so many things to work to make it happen. I'd say for the last four to five years we've looked at it, but it's hard to do and we haven't been able to think it's best for us."(Motorsport)(5-18-2014)

Used to be silly season talk didn't start until Aug 1 but in a world with Jayski and Twitter it's pretty much year round now. Seemed like we knew about Kenseth and Harvick leaving their old teams at the Daytona 500.

If anything I think Penske plans on bringing up Blaney when he's ready and will just stick with the two cars that are working, until then. Does RPM have enough resources to nab Carl?

anyone notice the 12 car has been out on the track lately?? It is scheduled to run more races too. I can't help but wonder if the 12 car is being put out there so that it puts in place the people and resources to run that car full time next year. Basically it looks to me like they are polishing up and preparing. I would think carl edwards HAS to be the number one guy on their radar over there.

roush lost kenseth because the sponsorship just wasn't there. jack ran that car out of his pocket for much of the season. Lack of money is showing its face at roush big time. If I am carl edwards I would rather move to MWR than stay driving for jack.
The #12 car is Penske, no? Why dust off the uno-dos and then send him to Itch It Motorsports?

Is Joe Gibbs Racing ready to expand? with Edwards? With silly season in full swing, it's not surprising that Joe Gibbs is in the middle of it. Over the last month, the rumors of Carl Edwards considering a move to JGR have picked up considerably. But Coach says it would take a lot for JGR to add a fourth team. "I'm not going to guess on stuff and the rumors and everything," Gibbs said. "We get into this every year and there's a period we kind of got to go through, I've come to feel." When asked specifically about Edwards, Gibbs would not offer a definitive answer. "Anything that's going on right now, to me, is kind of that rumor time - and I don't think I need to be commenting on it," Gibbs said. "So many times when the top guys come up, everybody in the sport kind of looks at it. There's a couple of guys this year - that are on their last year, so it kind of happens." JGR expanded to three full-time teams in 2005, but moved to three full-time drivers with the addition of Denny Hamlin in 2006. Inevitably, it's a question as to whether a fourth team makes sense for JGR. "We have said for the last five years that when things come up we have always looked at it," Gibbs said. "But it's hard to do. Like I've said, it's extremely hard to do cause you've get so many things to work to make it happen. I'd say for the last four to five years we've looked at it, but it's hard to do and we haven't been able to think it's best for us."(Motorsport)(5-18-2014)

Seems that the JGR rumor momentum is picking up. Perfect for Carl to play his hand again. Is Ford willing to play?

Seems that the JGR rumor momentum is picking up. Perfect for Carl to play his hand again. Is Ford willing to play?
Seems like Toyota and JGR are trying to stock up on "Big Guns". I'm sure Carl and his family are already set for life, but if he gets caught in a bidding war between Ford and Toyota to lure him to either Penske or JGR, talk about big $$$$.

Seems like Toyota and JGR are trying to stock up on "Big Guns". I'm sure Carl and his family are already set for life, but if he gets caught in a bidding war between Ford and Toyota to lure him to either Penske or JGR, talk about big $$$$.

Thinking that Toyota and JGR are less willing to play this time after getting shafted last time. This deal may be on JGR's terms this time especially since Roush will be unwilling/unable to pay. Ford has Penske now.

Thinking that Toyota and JGR are less willing to play this time after getting shafted last time. This deal may be on JGR's terms this time especially since Roush will be unwilling/unable to pay. Ford has Penske now.

Totally agree, Carl doesn't have near as much leverage this time around.
What he brings with him in sponsorship will be the deciding factor I think. If he's got enough that JGR can put together that 4th team for him, I would think he goes to them without hesitation. He wants to win the championship and I believe that he knows his chances will be better at JGR than Roush.

Gibbs had a 4th team last year, #81, which was obviously an R&D setup that Sadler drove. However, I highly doubt that Prince Edward would settle for anything less being gauranteed first pick of all JGR resources.

I wonder what he'd do if/when RFR says that they can't afford his price, release him and put Bayne in the #99?

Gibbs had a 4th team last year, #81, which was obviously an R&D setup that Sadler drove. However, I highly doubt that Prince Edward would settle for anything less being gauranteed first pick of all JGR resources.

I wonder what he'd do if/when RFR says that they can't afford his price, release him and put Bayne in the #99?

Well since his deal is expiring I suppose they wouldn't even need to release him, they'd just part ways. Personally, I do think Carl leaves this time around, and Biffle resigns and finishes his career at RFR.

I believe Carl is a hot enough commodity that some team owners might even be willing to subsidize a new team for a little while. If he can bring some dollars with him, then an organization on the fence about adding another car might just do it for him, JGR,MWR and Penske come to mind.

I think any team that would be willing to take him could potentially fund another car through all the sponsor dollars he brings. There are 3 organizations in these rumours that have room for another team. I think the choice is Carls really. I don't think he'll get anywhere near as good of a deal as he did a few years back. That was right after he almost won the cup and hasn't done too much since then.

Well since his deal is expiring I suppose they wouldn't even need to release him, they'd just part ways. Personally, I do think Carl leaves this time around, and Biffle resigns and finishes his career at RFR.

I believe Carl is a hot enough commodity that some team owners might even be willing to subsidize a new team for a little while. If he can bring some dollars with him, then an organization on the fence about adding another car might just do it for him, JGR,MWR and Penske come to mind.

I think Carl at MWR might be a little more balanced than if he went to JGR. That would be a crowded debrief room in more ways than one. Kyle will be in a contract year next year so JGR will have to be careful not to screw themselves with numbers that would impact those negotiations. From a Toyota perspective, might like to see him at MWR. If he goes elsewhere, look for Biffle to take less at either MWR or JGR.

In My Opinion any driver that has anywhere else to go but goes to MWR has a career death wish.

Depends on how it's structured. When points mattered, Bowyer finished 2nd. That's one place out of the Championship.

I really think Carl's only two competitive options are JGR or Penske.

Certainly, those are the front runners, but you never know. Hard for me to think of Carl in a Toyota. He has been blowing that Ford stuff up my ass for so long, it would be hard to take him seriously. He is so entrenched in Ford, it makes me wonder if Toyota has taken a look at his marketability.

Y'all understand Carl is paid to blow all that Ford fodder all over the place. As soon as someone pays him more to spew about Toyota he'll jump ship.

Imo RFR has more to loose than anyone elses gain. They have already lost Kenseth, Stenhouse isnt materializing, and I dont think Biffle is signed.

I think they will dig deeper to keep him than others will pay. I could be wrong I have no insider knowledge, just an opinion.

Certainly, those are the front runners, but you never know. Hard for me to think of Carl in a Toyota. He has been blowing that Ford stuff up my ass for so long, it would be hard to take him seriously. He is so entrenched in Ford, it makes me wonder if Toyota has taken a look at his marketability.

If Carl leaves, as soon as Carl signs with a team/manufacture he'll be just as entrenched in that manufacturer as he was with Ford. It's the name of the game and Carl knows how to play it.

That is why the Sponsors love him.

Imo RFR has more to loose than anyone elses gain. They have already lost Kenseth, Stenhouse isnt materializing, and I dont think Biffle is signed.

I think they will dig deeper to keep him than others will pay. I could be wrong I have no insider knowledge, just an opinion.

Not a bad take on things right here IMO. I am not sold that Carl will leave. This has the same look and smell as last time. Biffle to MWR if anything.

If Carl leaves, as soon as Carl signs with a team/manufacture he'll be just as entrenched in that manufacturer as he was with Ford. It's the name of the game and Carl knows how to play it.

That is why the Sponsors love him.

True. Just hard for me to buy into it as a rabid Toyota supporter.

Not a bad take on things right here IMO. I am not sold that Carl will leave. This has the same look and smell as last time. Biffle to MWR if anything.
actually it doesn't smell the same to me. I for one don't see sponsorship which is the key to making any deal with carl edwards. I do see the 12 car back on the track for races here and there. I suspect this is to keep the team ready. I think at this point carl himself probably doesn't know what the deal is. penske is the best option financially to bring on a guy like carl.

actually it doesn't smell the same to me. I for one don't see sponsorship which is the key to making any deal with carl edwards. I do see the 12 car back on the track for races here and there. I suspect this is to keep the team ready. I think at this point carl himself probably doesn't know what the deal is. penske is the best option financially to bring on a guy like carl.

I would agree that Penske is the best option all things considered, but frankly, I don't think Penske is more ready than JGR for a fourth team in terms of infrastructure. Certainly, sponsorship is needed on both ends. Just can't see Carl in anything other than a Ford. A move to Penske would be huge for him.

Y'all understand Carl is paid to blow all that Ford fodder all over the place. As soon as someone pays him more to spew about Toyota he'll jump ship.
That's pretty much it. Like they all do.

That's pretty much it. Like they all do.

Yeah, well, that may be true, but the question is whether or not he is believable for the customers. Carl Edwards in a Toyota when the buyer recognizes him as a Ford guy isn't going to get the return Toyota is looking for. Toyota Racing has to prove viability to Toyota Corporate. Now I get that I am stretching this quite a bit, but I think Carl is an exceptional circumstance. This guy pushes Ford slogans every change he gets. As a contrast, I don't see Kyle Busch pushing Toyota (unfortunately) the way I see Carl push Ford.

Yeah, well, that may be true, but the question is whether or not he is believable for the customers. Carl Edwards in a Toyota when the buyer recognizes him as a Ford guy isn't going to get the return Toyota is looking for. Toyota Racing has to prove viability to Toyota Corporate. Now I get that I am stretching this quite a bit, but I think Carl is an exceptional circumstance. This guy pushes Ford slogans every change he gets. As a contrast, I don't see Kyle Busch pushing Toyota (unfortunately) the way I see Carl push Ford.
Kenseth pulled the same crap with Ford. He's fine in a rice burner now.

I agree with you on Carl and Toyota has the 2 Waltrip clowns in their corner.

Every driver mentions the manufacturers name.

Kenseth pulled the same crap with Ford. He's fine in a rice burner now.

Nowhere near to the extend of Carl. Probably has something to do with that inflated PSC he scored last time.

I agree with you on Carl and Toyota has the 2 Waltrip clowns in their corner.

Every driver mentions the manufacturers name.

Not always on the manufacturer's name. Tony Stewart mentioned Toyota one time in his year with them. I counted.

Not always on the manufacturer's name. Tony Stewart mentioned Toyota one time in his year with them. I counted.

I have no proof but I'd bet a weeks paycheck that if the truth were to come out, he left JGR because they switched to Toyota. Which, IMO, is his prerogative.

Back
Top Bottom