Caution clocks and timed races

I'm curious as to what makes this so. I could see how restarts may be more important - thanks to the restart carnival nature of modern Cup racing and the ability to pass multiple cars at once - but I'm not sure how they are so much better at showing a driver's skill than long runs.
They're not. The poster has it backward.

That's not a surprise.

I think a format change is a good thing, but it needs to be a tweak, not a radical change,
If I could wave the magic wand, we’d have at least a halftime and maybe periods.
Those two statements appear to have been uttered back to back or in close proximity to each other, and they make no sense together. And yay, another idiot in a position of some influence who wants racing to be more like football.

Heats and features, whether a good idea for NASCAR or not, is a format used in oval track and myriad other forms of racing since their beginnings. That would be a "radical departure".

Dividing a single race into quarters or periods because that's how football and hockey games work, and rewarding winners of these segments, which football and hockey don't do ("The Chiefs won the tiebreaker over the Raiders because they won more quarters this season"), would be a "tweak".

I need to learn to forget about NASCAR before these morons are allowed to decimate it further.

I would be ok with "heat races", periods, or whatever you want to call it as long as it wasn't every event. Heat races that award points to the winners at a place like Pocono the 2nd time around or cookie cutter in the middle of summer might spice things up a little when things are slow. Doing it to a Daytona 500 would be a disaster.

Who would get the playoff spot if there are 3 heat races with 3 different winners?

All the things you think are bad about the cautions I think are good. I like the wave around and lucky dogs. More drivers able to win makes for a better race. I'm fine with the long runs as well but but no way does it take more skill over a restart. I just like the competition and I believe a caution clock makes for better competition across the board.

I respect your opinion but mine is different. What free passes, wave arounds and bogus cautions do is penalize the cars that are prepared to go out and do battle with each other by allowing the teams that are unprepared unearned ways of getting back on an even keel. Would you be in favor of allowing students that are not prepared to take an exam extra time and the ability to use an open book?

As far as skills go it takes tremendous skill to successfully navigate green flag runs as you must maintain laser focus as well as take care of your tires and manage fuel plus make a successful green flag stop. Restarts are about the first 3 rows to see who can successfully get gone in clean air.

I'd watch the racing if it was as it was before all the changes and enjoy it just as much. I just feel like a lot of the changes NASCAR has made is to make the racing and competition better so I'm fine with it as well.

What Nascar is doing is dumbing down the level of competition by allowing undeserving teams breaks they should not be getting. Good competition is derived from excellence.

I have heard Nascar fans complain about many things but never have I heard anyone say "I really enjoy Nascar but it would be even better if the events were shorter" or "The racing is great but I know it would be better if we had a couple of intermissions."

IDK why these trial balloons are being floated as there is so much legitimately wrong with Nascar that needs to be fixed. Does anybody think that over the course of time Nascar would increase its fan base by having shorter races, caution clocks or intermissions? I don't see how it would but I would love to hear differing opinions.

Wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Who does "we" refer to?

Wow, the fact that this is being seriously discussed tells me my time as a NASCAR fan is nearing an end. Sad.

I think it all depends on how you view Nascar as if I tuned in each week expecting to see a legitimate sport that wasn't perfect but had overall integrity I would be very, very disappointed. However if you are willing to put up with all of Nascar's crap you can still see some decent racing from time to time and I do enjoy that. The way I see it is Nascar does not take what it does seriously, unless measuring thousandths of inches, so I don't take much of what it does seriously either.

NASCAR and industry stakeholders are considering significant competition changes to the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series that could be implemented as soon as this season, according to several sources. Sources said that stakeholders across the industry including teams, drivers, tracks, media partners, Monster and NASCAR have been meeting to discuss the prospective changes. Sources said this includes a meeting that was held in Las Vegas during Champion’s Week and a meeting held last week in Charlotte. Sources added that the prospective changes involve the format of the races themselves and how points are awarded for them. If implemented, the changes could address the length and format of Cup races and may result in race breaks, similar to other series where “heat” formats are used to break up the competition to feature multiple, shorter races rather than one longer one. NASCAR declined comment. NASCAR introduced heat races to its secondary series, the Xfinity Series, last year, although only for a handful of races. It could not be determined how far along the discussions are, but timing is of the essence as NASCAR’s season starts in mid to late February. Its season-opening media tour, when major announcements are often made, is in two weeks in Charlotte.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/01/10/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Nascar.aspx

Prepare yourselves for this. The playoff announcement was made during the tour on January 30, 2014.

Ugh.

This is the final death knell for this sport if it's anything more than money for the halfway leader. France is absolutely unhinged to even be considering this crap.

In the business world this is called "harvesting". It's what slimy hedge fund managers from New York do when they take over a struggling local company then purposely run it into the ground while wringing out the maximum amount of cash for themselves before firing everyone and leaving. Brian is a pro at it, he's getting his cut of the TV deal and now the title sponsorship so he doesn't care if Monster and NBC run the sport into the ground. He's got his. Now buy this product you f**king rubes I hope you like more ads.

This is the final death knell for this sport if it's anything more than money for the halfway leader. France is absolutely unhinged to even be considering this crap.

I can't wait until the fans on this forum start telling what it was like going to the STP 140 minute as opposed to the STP 500. Also I will be really glad to hear from those that say it makes Nascar better.

Seriously though changes like this will probably run off some more older people which Nascar, Monster and the Networks don't give a ratsass about anyway. Will this add to the all important younger demo? Not from the world of sports it won't.

In the business world this is called "harvesting". It's what slimy hedge fund managers from New York do when they take over a struggling local company then purposely run it into the ground while wringing out the maximum amount of cash for themselves before firing everyone and leaving. Brian is a pro at it, he's getting his cut of the TV deal and now the title sponsorship so he doesn't care if Monster and NBC run the sport into the ground. He's got his. Now buy this product you f**king rubes I hope you like more ads.

Brian France was financially secure 25 years before he was born and has never lacked for money which ironically may be part of his problem in that he can't relate to the common man aka his customers. I don't think Brian wants to hurt the series but I think he has the wrong people in his ear and he is not savvy enough to make decisions and lead.

Obviously with Nascar essentially giving the title sponsorship away Monster smelled blood in the water and is having their way. If things improve then Brian can crow about how smart he and Monster are and if Monster totally screws things up they can walk away from the stinking tire fire in 2 years.

Based on today's Fan Council survey I think y'all should start preparing (complaining) for caution clock, shorter races and more recognition for the regular season "champion".

I have heard Nascar fans complain about many things but never have I heard anyone say "I really enjoy Nascar but it would be even better if the events were shorter" or "The racing is great but I know it would be better if we had a couple of intermissions."

IDK why these trial balloons are being floated as there is so much legitimately wrong with Nascar that needs to be fixed. Does anybody think that over the course of time Nascar would increase its fan base by having shorter races, caution clocks or intermissions? I don't see how it would but I would love to hear differing opinions.

Dale Jr has mentioned on several occasions that the races and the season is too long.

Yeah I'm usually one to ignore the BS, and blame it more on the way the world is..but this crap? I got nothing.. timed races? Heat races? Caution clock? Are you friggin kidding me?

All sports have changed to sell the product, I get that. But this would be going too far. NASCAR is becoming reborn and appealing to the younger kids with short attention spans who live in technology and are buddy buddy.

I'm 24 years old and I see my generation Ryan Blaney, Bubba Wallace and all those guys are "boys". Like, "Yo, you met my boy Ryan?" It's all buddy buddy and these athletes are shown as figureheads and reality stars

The primary demographic NASCAR has been marketed to the last 30+ years simply isn't the market NASCAR is selling to anymore. The whole logo change, retiring of drivers etc signifies that. Nascar will always be somewhat relevant.. and it will rise back up again, but when it does, it will be a very different sport.

Give Tony Stewart Brian France's job

Dale Jr has mentioned on several occasions that the races and the season is too long.

I have heard fans and drivers complain about the length of the season but not about the length of races but take your word about Dale Jr.

I am not going to say that I will be done with NASCAR if these changes are made, but it will change my overall interest , I guess it all depends on what changes are made and or the combination of them, half way breaks, I can deal with that, heat races, not really, timed races, depends on the length , but going by all the stuff asked in FC Survey that I said no too, I am not looking forward to the changes that might be coming.

All Formula -1 races are timed .......it never bothered me. A 5 hour limit on Nascar stuff would be OK

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/01/10/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Nascar.aspx

Prepare yourselves for this. The playoff announcement was made during the tour on January 30, 2014.

Ugh.

Makes no ****** sense. The XFinity Series did not have "heat" races. They were more like "motos" except the first one didn't award you anything. I don't think NASCAR understands how racing works.....

I like the idea of adjusting the points distribution but I doubt my idea of a proper procedure is anything like Mike n' Brian's.

Last edited:
All Formula -1 races are timed .......it never bothered me. A 5 hour limit on Nascar stuff would be OK

The further NASCAR can stay away from F1 the better...

You thought NASCAR's management was a dumpster fire...check out Bernie and his folks across the pond.

Let's see what the changes are first. Heat races I think might be decent if they cut the field down to 20.

The only races where I wouldn't mind timed races is road courses.

I wonder if Monster is the one pushing for timed races. There Supercross races have changed to timed races this year. It really wasn't a big deal to me...after the first heat race I never even really noticed it.

Back
Top Bottom