Get That 88 Up There !!

Love United Hate Glazer
Let’s go ahead and get this going.

1590100172738.jpeg

May 24th - Coca-Cola 600 - 6 PM (FOX)
May 25th - Xfinity - 7:30 PM (FS1)
May 26th - Truck - 8:30 PM (FS1)
May 27th - 2nd Cup Race - 8 PM (FS1)

It's so depressing to not have Monaco in the AM, Indy at noon and Charlotte in the evening
Well, you could have died in Afghanistan or something. Jus' saying... it being Memorial Day and all..:idunno:

Seriously, I'm not meaning to pick on you in particular. It's just that so many people don't stop to think about what Memorial Day really means... our most solemn holiday in America.

Well, you could have died in Afghanistan or something. Jus' saying... it being Memorial Day and all..:idunno:

Seriously, I'm not meaning to pick on you in particular. It's just that so many people don't stop to think about what Memorial Day really means... our most solemn holiday in America.
That is very true and my hats off to you for your strong patriotism. But the reason he and I were discussing racing on Memorial Day instead of the number one main reason for Memorial Day is because this is a racing thread. There is nothing in this world that I respect more the an America Soldier and I have a strong feeling Mispeedway15 feels the same way you and I do.

I was about to ask about qualifying format then realized this was the 600 and not the all star race. I'm all out of whack.

I'm working on monday... my boss is like "yeah we are thanking our vets by staying open for them"

Uhhh, wrong holiday.

I'm working on monday... my boss is like "yeah we are thanking our vets by staying open for them"

Uhhh, wrong holiday.
What an idiot.

Your boss also celebrating Mexico’s independence on May 5th?

What an idiot.

Your boss also celebrating Mexico’s independence on May 5th?

Nah, more like celebrate as little and keep the doors open as close to 365 as possible.

Uhhh, wrong holiday.
This is one of my pet peeves.

Memorial Day is to remember those who gave their lives for our country. If someone wants to include first responders or law enforcement who died in the line of duty, no problem. It's not about the military in general, or anyone who is fortunate enough to still be on this side of the dirt.

Veterans Day is to honor those of us who have served, alive or dead. (The only people who should get that Monday off are vets, but that's a separate rant.)

Armed Forces Day is to celebrate those who are still actively serving our country. Gods know those guys deserve a day off, free meals, and a buttload of discounts, but they aren't getting them.

Nah, more like celebrate as little and keep the doors open as close to 365 as possible.
In the current economic climate, you’re lucky.

In any other situation, work life balance. Ask anyone over 40 what their wisdom tells them about taking sick leave and vacation days.

isn't as lucky as the Monaco has been cancelled and the Indy 500 move to August The only racing this Sunday is the Coca Cola 600

In the current economic climate, you’re lucky.

In any other situation, work life balance. Ask anyone over 40 what their wisdom tells them about taking sick leave and vacation days.
I'm 61 and I've always taken at least 85% of my vacation days. I've never seen any impact or repercussions at three different companies. Maybe I've just never worked for @$$holes. Back when sick days were separate from work, I rarely took them; but I'm rarely sick.

And the 600 entry list is still MIA.

Ross Chastain is entered in Spire Motorsports’ No. 77 Chevrolet for the second time this season (Daytona 500). The car will be prepared by Chip Ganassi Racing.
JJ Yeley is entered in Tommy Baldwin Racing’s No. 7 Chevrolet. This is the team’s second start this year.
Gray Gaulding is entered in Rick Ware Racing’s No. 27 Ford.

I'm 61 and I've always taken at least 85% of my vacation days. I've never seen any impact or repercussions at three different companies. Maybe I've just never worked for @$$holes. Back when sick days were separate from work, I rarely took them; but I'm rarely sick.

And the 600 entry list is still MIA.

I have co workers that had 4 weeks of vacation starting Jan 1st. They were out by mid March

What a difference a year makes. At this time last year in between our Atlanta and Virginia races I parked the hauler at the drag strip and stayed in Concord for the whole week before the 600. That was a fun week off hanging out at a few of the race shops, going to the NASCAR HOF, seeing the Petty and RCR museums and race shops, and eating at a lot of the racing cafes around there. They were setting up every thing and there were a lot of fans already camping in the motorhome campgrounds at the drag strip. You have no idea how hard it was for me to have to fire up the hauler and head north to Virginia instead of staying there for the race. It really sucks when NASCAR and NHRA are within 300 miles on the same weekend. :)

What a difference a year makes. At this time last year in between our Atlanta and Virginia races I parked the hauler at the drag strip and stayed in Concord for the whole week before the 600. That was a fun week off hanging out at a few of the race shops, going to the NASCAR HOF, seeing the Petty and RCR museums and race shops, and eating at a lot of the racing cafes around there. They were setting up every thing and there were a lot of fans already camping in the motorhome campgrounds at the drag strip. You have no idea how hard it was for me to have to fire up the hauler and head north to Virginia instead of staying there for the race. It really sucks when NASCAR and NHRA are within 300 miles on the same weekend. :)

I had to run a couple of errands today and drove by the speedway and it was weird not seeing any of the merchandise/marketing tents or campers around, and no signage whatsoever like they always have out front and on the pedestrian bridges. You wouldn't have any idea there's a race there in 2 days if you didn't know. Although they did have a few of those foldable signs set up stating "No public parking or tailgating".

This right here. All weekend long. Thank you! I have always viewed the 600 with its tribute to the military as the perfect expression of the weekend. We don't do this without the men and women who paid the ultimate price for us to be able to watch. This race has always served as a symbol of what those who served died for....This country is so great that we can even do this while giving a Chase Elliott finger to COVID-19. For these reasons, this is my favorite race of them all...and in any genre of motorsport.

Traction compound and the Dragon getting Charlotte ready

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYone10WoAEQqaC?format=jpg&name=large

I don't know if you have ever met Christian, but he is a great dude. Met him in the pits in Fontana when he was with his Dad a few years ago. The guy eats, sleeps, and breathes this sport....and his Dad is one hell of a guy as well.

Veterans Day is to honor those of us who have served, alive or dead. (The only people who should get that Monday off are vets, but that's a separate rant.)

Amen to that, 100%. With that exception, us guys that work for a business that only closes six days a year (and not 100% at that) always say that if your business can close for those 2nd tier holidays like President's Day and Columbus Day, and a few others, we probably can do with out you the rest of the year too. ;)

if your business can close for those 2nd tier holidays like President's Day and Columbus Day,
Question for the membership: does anyone get days off on B-list holidays other than government agencies and financial institutions?

Where I work, we get:
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving (2 days)
Christmas (2 days)
New Year's Eve and Day (2 days. The two most wasted holidays on the calendar. We just had four days off within the last five weeks (Thanksgiving and Christmas). Move one of those two days to the holiday deserts between Christmas and Easter, and the other between Labor Day and Turkey Day).

No MLK Day, no Presidents Day, no Columbus Day (honoring a guy who didn't know where he was and 'found' something others found thousands of years before), no Veterans Day, no Confederate Memorial Day (let's not get why this merits a separate day, please).

Back
Top Bottom