Chase Elliott

Props to @Dr_B_UNC even though I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm a Gordon fan, Hendrick fan, Chevrolet fan, Chase Elliott fan. All of the above.

That being said, I understand your point about UNC and rooting against the rest of the ACC. I get that. As a diehard Florida Gators fan, I can't ****** stand Georgia and LSU and Alabama and Auburn, etc. **** the conference, I just want MY team to succeed. I have never understood the fans that want to see their rivals do well "for the sake of the conference" or whatever.

That being said, racing is different. When I was a hardcore Gordon fan, Terry Labonte and Kenny Schrader were my other favorites. And as a Chase fan, I pull for Bowman and the other HMS guys. I guess it helps when your favorite team hires likeable drivers.
Honestly, throughout my life growing up watching, I've been on both sides of this and definitely understand. I grew up as a Dale Earnhardt fan (I was 10 when he died) and then also a HUGE Dale Jr fan (and have met him several times at Bristol), though I NEVER liked Harvick even though my dad still does.

Some of this was probably influence from my dad. He was a Dale Sr fan and hated Jeff Gordon AND HMS when I was a kid, so naturally I always thought the same until I got older. Even later I ALWAYS hated all of HMS until Jr joined (though in a kind of friendly way, as I respect ALL nascar drivers). Afterwards I was always a Junior fan but still never really liked HMS until several years later, where more than necessarily liking JG/JJ, in their later years I more appreciated getting to see/witness them, and honestly being Jr's teammates HMS kind of helped them grow on me.

Even today, while I'm not necessarily a fan of HMS as an organization, they happen to have all of my favorites drivers employed (mainly Byron and Larson, though Bowman seems cool just not my favorite - same with Chase, and I've actually met him at Bristol too), so I agree with your point about them hiring likeable drivers.

Also just a note and kind of the complete opposite, I was always a Brad Keselowski fan UNTIL he joined Penske. I have no idea why, but I just could never be a fan of any Penske driver and haven't liked him since. Same with JGR.

I agree with your point about them hiring likeable drivers.

Also just a note and kind of the complete opposite, I was always a Brad Keselowski fan UNTIL he joined Penske. I have no idea why, but I just could never be a fan of any Penske driver and haven't liked him since. Same with JGR.

I haven't liked JGR since they left Chevrolet, but they would be a lot more likeable if they didn't employ three of the biggest douchebags in NASCAR (drivers of the 11, 18, and 19). And they seem to hire a lot of unlikeable and/or untalented guys in Xfinity and Trucks (KBM) as well.

I've liked every Hendrick driver, even Kyle Busch when he first started there, with ONE exception....Wally Dallenbach Jr. I never liked him, never thought he was good enough, never understood why he deserved a shot with HMS. Something about the guy just rubbed me wrong. They put a lot of unproven drivers in that 25 car over the years, but Dallenbach is the only one that truly bothered me.

I haven't liked JGR since they left Chevrolet, but they would be a lot more likeable if they didn't employ three of the biggest douchebags in NASCAR (drivers of the 11, 18, and 19). And they seem to hire a lot of unlikeable and/or untalented guys in Xfinity and Trucks (KBM) as well.

I've liked every Hendrick driver, even Kyle Busch when he first started there, with ONE exception....Wally Dallenbach Jr. I never liked him, never thought he was good enough, never understood why he deserved a shot with HMS. Something about the guy just rubbed me wrong. They put a lot of unproven drivers in that 25 car over the years, but Dallenbach is the only one that truly bothered me.
I vaguely remember that, but I wasn't really old enough to understand who deserved what at the time. I thought Bill Elliott and Darrel Waltrip were just career back markers. Back then it was just Dale Earnhardt everything and F Jeff Gordon (who I grew to like in my adult years). Lol

I'm on your side in this one @Dr_B_UNC. I'm glad Chase drives for HMS as an old Gordon fan, but I couldn't care less about the other drivers in the stable. Just as I only root for 1 team in other leagues. Just is what it is.

Fellow race fans, it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you. You can like or dislike a driver because of who he drives for or not; the brand he drives or not. You can pull against one or two team drivers while cheering on the others on the same team. If you want to be a fanboy for one manufacturer, do it. Sports is not supposed to make sense, it's just supposed to be fun.

And it's just as much fun to have drivers to pull against to, so when your guy(s) aren't having a great day you can point to that one guy and say 'anybody but him' then if he indeed gets beat, it salvages your day.

Going back to 2 Sweet's football analogy, he won't pull for the other teams in his conference and if that's how he feels, that's great.

I'm an Ohio State fan and I like most of the teams in our conference except for Michigan and Penn State. When we play them I want to not just win but to embarrass them. But when they play out of conference or in bowl games I want them to win to lift the Big 10 to be the elite conference I know it is becoming again.

I'm Buckeye born
And Buckeye bred
And when I die
I'll be by-God Buckeye dead!
Doesn't matter if any of this makes sense or not. Know why? Because it's sports and this is how I have fun with it. It doesn't matter why you or I like or dislike any driver. There needn't be a logical reason, it just is. I don't dislike any of the major organization because they all contribute to the sport and all have at least one driver that I like. I should stop rambling and go to bed now.

I'm on your side in this one @Dr_B_UNC. I'm glad Chase drives for HMS as an old Gordon fan, but I couldn't care less about the other drivers in the stable. Just as I only root for 1 team in other leagues. Just is what it is.
Bingo.

While Gordon was racing, I didn’t really care about the organization. I wanted the #24 team to beat the other 3 teams and that was it. The fact the Johnson and Dale Jr were pretty bad teammates just solidified my mentality later in Jeff’s career. He played way too nice with them for way too long.

Fair questions, all. I guess I'm just from the old mold of fandom. In the 80's, you pulled for a driver and maybe had a manufacturer lean. My dad always liked Fords, so I pulled for Bill Elliott and then another Ford to win. Anybody but effing Earnhardt or Waltrip back then! With the rise of multicar teams, it seems we've been conditioned to pull for the entire organization. That's not me. I'm weird I guess. I'm a UNC alum. Come March Madness, I pull for UNC. if they're eliminated, I couldn't give two damns about other ACC teams. In fact, I want them to lose as well so we went the farthest out of the league. I'm petty. Same with HMS. If Chase finishes 2nd, I'd rather it be to JGR or Penske than Larson, Bowman, or Byron. I'd rather run 10th and be the first HMS car (which happened a lot the last 3 years) than run second but to Larson. Again, I'm petty.

I have no manufacturer loyalty, because the brands I drive the most and are loyal to are not in NASCAR.
I totally get where you are coming from, and I haven't seen this perspective. I like it. Love the passion. Big props to you. Thank you for your reply.

I LOATHED them in the Jeff Gordon era. Then it continued into the Johnson dominance. I was a Bill Elliott fan, then when Bill was ebbing I went to Jeff and Ward Burton, who I watched come up through late models as a kid. When Jeff Burton was on the verge of greatness and possibly a title, that was when Gordon surged and you just couldn't beat HMS. So, it was frustration mainly. They were "the enemy." Much as HMS or Penske (depending on time) is the enemy for you because they're in the way of TRD and JGR. Make sense?
Thank you. Awesome perspective.

if they didn't employ three of the biggest douchebags in NASCAR (drivers of the 11, 18, and 19).
The 19? I mean I do understand the 11 and 18....but the 19? Let me guess....you had puppies and baby seals too?

I respect this....you liked KB at Hendrick? He was at the height of his a**hole-ness at that time, but I respect that he was agreeable to you then because he was with Hendrick, but not now because he is with JGR. I feel the same way....you take KFB out of a Toyota, and he is the enemy.

I respect ALL nascar drivers
I like this a lot. Even though I snark from time to time about other drivers here, I am 100% polite and appreciative in person. These are human beings. It is burned in my brain the guy in Fontana that held his middle finger 12 inches in front of KFB's face in intros. Deep respect for Kyle's ability to refrain from punching that a**hole in the face. I have had multiple trips in elevators and encounters with all kinds of drivers, and I have never asked anything of them, but I have always greeted and thanked them for making this sport what it is.

The 19? I mean I do understand the 11 and 18....but the 19? Let me guess....you had puppies and baby seals too?
Truex was a LOT more likable before he started winning. Now he just seems whiny and acts like he's entitled to something. Even at that, I would agree douchebag is a little strong for him. Like 2 Sweet, I tried my very best to like Kyle when he was at HMS, but by the end, I mostly tried to pretend he wasn't there, and nearly threw a party the day he got shown the door.

Truex was a LOT more likable before he started winning. Now he just seems whiny and acts like he's entitled to something. Even at that, I would agree douchebag is a little strong for him. Like 2 Sweet, I tried my very best to like Kyle when he was at HMS, but by the end, I mostly tried to pretend he wasn't there, and nearly threw a party the day he got shown the door.
You know, I really don't think that Martin is as he sounds on the radio or in interviews. I feel like his whiny-ness is an adrenaline thing...just the way he processes stuff. I will agree that it is extremely hard to listen to on the scanner. I think that when a driver starts winning, they sound entitled because they are. The more they get, the more they want, the more they want, the more they expect. As far as Kyle goes, I do find it interesting that Coach was able to get into his head when Hendrick couldn't. @StandOnIt reference to Hornaday in 3-2-1...

...and back to MTJ's like-ability BEFORE he started winning.....Matty D. is loved....but what if he was kicking Elliott's ass? Less loved, I would think.

You know, I really don't think that Martin is as he sounds on the radio or in interviews. I feel like his whiny-ness is an adrenaline thing...just the way he processes stuff. I will agree that it is extremely hard to listen to on the scanner. I think that when a driver starts winning, they sound entitled because they are. The more they get, the more they want, the more they want, the more they expect. As far as Kyle goes, I do find it interesting that Coach was able to get into his head when Hendrick couldn't. @StandOnIt reference to Hornaday in 3-2-1...

...and back to MTJ's like-ability BEFORE he started winning.....Matty D. is loved....but what if he was kicking Elliott's ass? Less loved, I would think.
Thanks Dr. Phil. The gerbils it seems have rubbed off on ya.

As far as Kyle goes, I do find it interesting that Coach was able to get into his head when Hendrick couldn't. @StandOnIt reference to Hornaday in 3-2-1...

I think the primary reason Coach was "somewhat" more successful than Rick with Kyle was that Coach had an entire career in which he had to deal with massive egos, headcases and nut jobs, and his Super Bowl wins indicate that he was clearly good at it. Rick comes from a far different world, and I'm sure he probably didn't handle it as well as he COULD have, but honestly, I think he just reached the point he didn't WANT to. Frankly, in my opinion it took far too long for Rick to handle Dale Jr. the way he needed to also. I think Rick is more of the Roger Penske mold, where you either fit into the program, or you move on. The program is not changing to suit YOU.

I think if as long as Matty D. kept the same attitude, and ESPECIALLY if was doing it for the Wood Brothers, he could kick Chase's ass all over and only the most sycophantic Elliott fans would hate him for it. Here's an interesting thought to ponder; If Matty D. had Kyle Busch's personality, would he even HAVE a Cup ride?

Props to @Dr_B_UNC even though I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm a Gordon fan, Hendrick fan, Chevrolet fan, Chase Elliott fan. All of the above.

That being said, I understand your point about UNC and rooting against the rest of the ACC. I get that. As a diehard Florida Gators fan, I can't ****** stand Georgia and LSU and Alabama and Auburn, etc. **** the conference, I just want MY team to succeed. I have never understood the fans that want to see their rivals do well "for the sake of the conference" or whatever.

That being said, racing is different. When I was a hardcore Gordon fan, Terry Labonte and Kenny Schrader were my other favorites. And as a Chase fan, I pull for Bowman and the other HMS guys. I guess it helps when your favorite team hires likeable drivers.
I didnt have a favorite besides Jeff until Dale Jr came along. and it was always Jeff as 1 and 1a for me. Since he's retired I split his fandom into Chase Elliott, Kyle Larson, William Byron, Kevin Harvick Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch and Tyler Reddick. I also hope Christopher Bell does well too this year and in the coming years. They each get a slice of my fandom, it makes watching racier easier when one wrecks or breaks, I dont turn off the TV anymore. I've always pulled for HMS too and I have a soft spot for RCR. I also liked DEI as well. Outside of those teams I cheer hard against JGR and when they were good, Roush ( didnt hate Mark Martin though). Its a complicated life when your favorite driver retires

Here's an interesting thought to ponder; If Matty D. had Kyle Busch's personality, would he even HAVE a Cup ride?
Within this line of thinking, the question could then be asked....Would Matty D. have a Cup ride without his personality? I will answer your question...Hell no. Why? Because with KFB's personality comes performance. Kyle doesn't still have a ride because of his personality (well, kind of....depending on what you are looking for), he has a ride because of his performance on the track which is undeniable. Matty D.? No performance really, so what is left? Personality....and that is starting to get stale. The best thing that could have ever happened to him is Brad leaving. Without that....he is gone, and likely to stay gone. He has had his chances.

Within this line of thinking, the question could then be asked....Would Matty D. have a Cup ride without his personality? I will answer your question...Hell no. Why? Because with KFB's personality comes performance. Kyle doesn't still have a ride because of his personality (well, kind of....depending on what you are looking for), he has a ride because of his performance on the track which is undeniable. Matty D.? No performance really, so what is left? Personality....and that is starting to get stale. The best thing that could have ever happened to him is Brad leaving. Without that....he is gone, and likely to stay gone. He has had his chances.

Well, you are sort of saying what I'm saying without actually saying it. Kyle can get away with being an ass because of his success on the track. The vast majority of drivers can't get away with that. As good as Kurt is, being an ass almost destroyed his career, and he likely lost what would have been his most productive years driving for 2nd tier teams. If Matty D. can keep a ride by being a fan favorite, more power to him. Hell, Michael Waltrip manged to piece together a 25 year driving career out of being little more than a side show for the TV broadcasts.

Well, you are sort of saying what I'm saying without actually saying it. Kyle can get away with being an ass because of his success on the track. The vast majority of drivers can't get away with that. As good as Kurt is, being an ass almost destroyed his career, and he likely lost what would have been his most productive years driving for 2nd tier teams. If Matty D. can keep a ride by being a fan favorite, more power to him. Hell, Michael Waltrip manged to piece together a 25 year driving career out of being little more than a side show for the TV broadcasts.
Well said. I agree with you 100%. What is so damn weird is that when we get a guy like Jimmie....he isn't ass enough I guess....although I will never buy into that. I truly respect and like Jimmie. Fabulous credit to this sport.

Elliott vs Elliott is going to be pretty awesome and at FGS, can’t beat it

Chase is going to have to break his wrist to make it a fair fight.

my narrative? It seems every thread no matter the subject is KDB all the time.
You spend a ton of time on the subject. Likely, as much as me...
and yall are about to spend way too much time on it in the wrong thread.

tenor.gif

Will be pleasantly surprised if the 65 year old can keep up with the youngster. There is a reason these guys no longer race at the cup level.
Well of course you would think that. I am more excited for the novelty of both Elliotts being on track at the same time its not something you see on a weekly basis.

This is awesome for NASCAR. I fully expect Chase to dominate but it's always great to have our stars showcasing their stuff in other avenues

This is awesome for NASCAR. I fully expect Chase to dominate but it's always great to have our stars showcasing their stuff in other avenues
Mreh, doubtful. He has nothing to prove and will ride around imho. I don't see him really going for it like the previous "ringer car" guys who are trying to get noticed.

Mreh, doubtful. He has nothing to prove and will ride around imho. I don't see him really going for it like the previous "ringer car" guys who are trying to get noticed.
probably so. But if he wants to run up front he will have to bring it. I bet they have a salty home town hero driver

Well of course you would think that. I am more excited for the novelty of both Elliotts being on track at the same time its not something you see on a weekly basis.
I get it. I was really excited to see Ryan Blaney get to race against his dad in the trucks at Eldora several years back.

The USAC National Midget Series is ultra-competitive. Best drivers. Best cars. Best teams.

Great way to start a busy week. Lots of eyes on this.

Back
Top Bottom