Chev SS discontinued?

As I mentioned in another thread, the Impala is high on my list when I buy a car next year. One of my all time favorite designs for a modern car.

But why market it to a mostly blue collar audience? What was the point in building up demand in a mass market with a niche product your audience couldn't find, and couldn't afford if they did find it?

See what Ford is doing with the GT over in IMSA? That's how you sell a niche car, by targeting a audience more able to afford a $60K performance car (and the fuel and insurance for same).

GM's goal is marketing a brand, not sports car sales NASCAR isn't about selling cars for the manufacturers, it's about selling pickup trucks with their large production runs and high profit margins. NASCAR fans buy lots a pickups.

GM's goal is marketing a brand, not sports car sales NASCAR isn't about selling cars for the manufacturers, it's about selling pickup trucks with their large production runs and high profit margins. NASCAR fans buy lots a pickups.
Acknowledged, and yet the Truck series struggles to find an audience. Go figure. Maybe NASCAR is showcasing the wrong series? :blink:

@2 Sweet the new Impala is gorgeous it is truly the first Chevy that I've really really really liked that was made after 197x I hit a deer with my Explorer and it had to be in the body shop for a few weeks so by choice I rented a 2017 Impala Premier or premium whatever it's called and it was awesome. On the other hand that Malibu is about the most disgusting car in the market who designed that piece of junk
I saw a Malibu LTZ or something the other day, and in person it isn't quite so hideous, but it's still not a good looking car IMO. The Impala is on a whole nother planet in terms of attractiveness. I would say it's like comparing Mila Kunis to Kathy Bates
I spend far more time on the inside looking out than I do on the outside looking in. Exterior appearance is near the bottom of my criteria.

The truck series was supposed to be the next great thing. Sometimes marketing doesnt work

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I used to watch the truck and lower series racing to see the up and coming drivers.I have no interest in watching a cup driver drop down to a lower series and dominate a race.I am disappointed Chevy dropped the SS leaving only Dodge with a rear wheel drive V8 family sedan.

The interior finish is cheap. Ford does a much better job. I was a little lifelong Chevrolet buyer but Ford is making better cars these days.
I think they're both making great cars. I'd consider a Fusion, but I won't buy a car made in Mexico and my parents already have a Taurus that I drive quite often. As much as I love it, I'd rather get something different. I can't rule it out, though.

True. But the Impala is a great looking car, whereas the new Malibu, well......:bleh:

2017_chevrolet_malibu_angularfront.jpg

That's the new Malibu?! ____!!!

Acknowledged, and yet the Truck series struggles to find an audience. Go figure. Maybe NASCAR is showcasing the wrong series? :blink:

Probably because, to the average fan, the Trucks are nothing but untalented rich kids, Cup washouts and that guy w/ the lisp. ;)

I think they're both making great cars. I'd consider a Fusion, but I won't buy a car made in Mexico and my parents already have a Taurus that I drive quite often. As much as I love it, I'd rather get something different. I can't rule it out, though.
I think they're making the Fusions in Michigan now.

They made base models there for a while, but that was dropped when the market started to shift toward SUVs.
Oh OK, I had just remembered reading somewhere that they moved some of the production to Michigan because the Mexico plant couldn't handle the demand.

I don't think it's too expensive considering everything you get. It's a limited production car by design, so I'm not really sure what the intent was by featuring it in Nascar. But I do appreciate that they are the only Cup manufacturer racing a RWD, V8 platform.

I'm bummed about Holden. A lot of GM's coolest cars were made in Australia. I'll be sad to see something cool like the SS replaced by something lame like the Malibu.

Don't even go there. The Ford T-Bird was the last car on the track that was RWD with an available V8. All the GMs at the time were Front wheel dive with only a 6 cylinder option. Then they brought that bastard Monte Carlo back that didn't match 3 of the stock templates while the Ford's fit ALL the stock templates. Once GM blew those requirements away, Ford was free to bring that 4 door Taurus to the track.

I know, there was nothing stock about any of those cars but it was cool when they had to have SOME resemblance to the car they represented.

GM ****** up so bad with the SS. It is a badass car with the worst, most confusing name ever. They should have just marketed it as the Commodore and actually presented it like they do all their other bull****.

I knew right off the bat this car was destined for failure. Which is sad. The only bad part about that car is the tacky chrome plastic inside and out.

GM ****** up so bad with the SS. It is a badass car with the worst, most confusing name ever. They should have just marketed it as the Commodore and actually presented it like they do all their other bull****.

I knew right off the bat this car was destined for failure. Which is sad. The only bad part about that car is the tacky chrome plastic inside and out.
Add to that the fact that for the same money you can get an SRT8 Charger, which has a lot more power and IMO is a much better looking car.

How many times do I have to say that the SS wasn't a failure? It was stated from the very beginning that it would be limited production and at that time we already knew Australian production would end in a few years.

How many times do I have to say that the SS wasn't a failure? It was stated from the very beginning that it would be limited production and at that time we already knew Australian production would end in a few years.

It was a failure as soon as they named it "The SS" and no one knew what particular car they were talking about. I don't understand the limited run. It was a great car.. It could have sold more units if any money was spent marketing it..

BTW: love the avi. We need more RWD V8 sedans.....

Add to that the fact that for the same money you can get an SRT8 Charger, which has a lot more power and IMO is a much better looking car.

SS is prettier than the SRT8. JMO ;)

Don't even go there. The Ford T-Bird was the last car on the track that was RWD with an available V8. .
Um, no , no it wasnt, Dodge Charger/Chevy SS both RWD with V8's

SS is prettier than the SRT8. JMO ;)
Personal preference I guess. I just think the Charger looks more like a muscle car. The SS is far from ugly, it just looks kinda bland next to the Charger IMO. Although I guess if you're into "sleeper" cars, that could be a good thing.

Personal preference I guess. I just think the Charger looks more like a muscle car. The SS is far from ugly, it just looks kinda bland next to the Charger IMO. Although I guess if you're into "sleeper" cars, that could be a good thing.

Yeah I think that's probably why I like it. Similar to the latest GTO and the Marauder in @Ford Racing avatar.

It was a failure as soon as they named it "The SS" and no one knew what particular car they were talking about. I don't understand the limited run. It was a great car.. It could have sold more units if any money was spent marketing it..

BTW: love the avi. We need more RWD V8 sedans.....

A car that starts around $45,000 is not going to sell many units regardless of what its name is or how it's marketed. The Charger would sell about that much if it only came in SRT8 trim.

Thanks. I almost bought one for a great price and low mileage last year, but he sold it a few hours before I called. :( Usually they're overpriced and have over 100,000 miles.

The Chevy SS being manufactured in Australia hurt US sales. Extremely difficult to just head to your local dealer to find one on the lot. You have to find a dealer that had open allocations and special order one. Most consumers dont have time for that, especially in today's fast paced world. Too niche of a product for sure, imo.

But, but, but, but it's a shivalay.....

I've seen one, in a Food Lion parking lot.

The Chevy SS being manufactured in Australia hurt US sales. Extremely difficult to just head to your local dealer to find one on the lot. You have to find a dealer that had open allocations and special order one. Most consumers dont have time for that, especially in today's fast paced world. Too niche of a product for sure, imo.
Same with the ill-fated return of the GTO. I would bought one if I could have touched it before I ordered.

True. A shame they couldn't move cool-Australian car production to the states. Bring the Ute's too.

The street Impala is sexy. The only full-size sedan I would consider driving.

Um, no , no it wasnt, Dodge Charger/Chevy SS both RWD with V8's

Um yes it was when that was the standard NASCAR platform. All the GMs went to their FWD Luminas and Cutlass' with their 2.8 liter V6s. And the Dodge group had already quit so they weren't running anything.

Of course when Dodge came back with the Charger they had a car with that format but Ford ran that type car longer than anyone.

True. A shame they couldn't move cool-Australian car production to the states. Bring the Ute's too.

As far as I know know Holden will cease production of all vehicles in Australia this year joining Ford.

Um yes it was when that was the standard NASCAR platform. All the GMs went to their FWD Luminas and Cutlass' with their 2.8 liter V6s. And the Dodge group had already quit so they weren't running anything.

Of course when Dodge came back with the Charger they had a car with that format but Ford ran that type car longer than anyone.

Yep, while I do think the Lumina/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal looked great as a race car, GM was the first to go to a FWD V6 platform while Ford rode it out with the Thunderbird for another half decade. I'll absolutely give Ford credit for that.

However, I think the move from the T-Bird to that fugly jelly bean Taurus sedan might be the worst downgrade in racing history.

As far as I know know Holden will cease production of all vehicles in Australia this year joining Ford.

Yeah I've heard that. They should move production of their cool stuff to the states under the Chevy nameplate. lol

Yep, while I do think the Lumina/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal looked great as a race car, GM was the first to go to a FWD V6 platform while Ford rode it out with the Thunderbird for another half decade. I'll absolutely give Ford credit for that.

However, I think the move from the T-Bird to that fugly jelly bean Taurus sedan might be the worst downgrade in racing history.

Look at those beautiful headlights

1d1cefc366a32043ff6184dcc232eaa7.jpg

I agree. Looked like a catfish. And it was a sedan. I remember everyone bitching because Ford was running a car that didn't come in a coupe.....

Back
Top Bottom