Chicago Street Race Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1687787226136.png

I'm looking forward to this one. Even though I think Chicago is one and done, I hope this at least draws enough interest for NASCAR to be open to more.

Street races truly have a carnival feeling that's missing from most modern NASCAR races.

is it just the cuppers going here? would be cool to see the trucks here...

is it just the cuppers going here? would be cool to see the trucks here...

Xfinity is also going.

Given the talent level in Trucks - I have no desire to see them try it. I'm not sure they could complete a lap without someone junking other people's trucks.

IMO I’m thinking this could be an amazing race. It could also be a complete **** show.
Either way as a life long NASCAR fan I'm looking forward to it and will enjoy watching it as an awesome spectacle and event in general, even if the race sucks, and a first for these kind of cars here and will love seeing how it turns out either way.

I am so jacked up for this. Saturday is crucial.
It surely will be. F1 style weekend where the race is likely won in qualifying. Save for pit strategy or better stops, I'm going out on a limb and saying passing will be, shall we say at a premium? The prop bets should be things like "who will dive bomb into a 90 degree turn and wipe out 10 people?" Will the straights be long enough to overcool brakes like Gateway? So much drama! (slight /s)

I feel this one will be a "dominant win" for someone, but I can't decide if I think it'll be MTJ or Larson. Really leaning MTJ as he's on fire.

It surely will be. F1 style weekend where the race is likely won in qualifying. Save for pit strategy or better stops, I'm going out on a limb and saying passing will be, shall we say at a premium? The prop bets should be things like "who will dive bomb into a 90 degree turn and wipe out 10 people?" Will the straights be long enough to overcool brakes like Gateway? So much drama! (slight /s)
Yeah, well said....and I really liked F1when WE were there. There are many layers to this weekend if fans just accept it for what it is.....1) Who has the best Sim engineers?--you better have your **** together off of the truck, 2) You better put a couple of laps together in qualifying--unless there is complete chaos, I doubt anybody comes form the back, and 3) Your put crew better be ready--losing spots on pit road will be crushing. This is IF there is minimal passing, and we go single file...we still have an amazing event. I think the other thing that is cool is that I don't think any of this would be possible 10 years ago....First, the durability of the Next Gen makes it conceivable, but mostly, I don't think the field had the talent level to make this worth the time. It amazes me that there are people who have been ****ting on this for months....no it doesn't.
I think this is one area you and I agree on.....Don't **** on the sport.
I’m looking towards Logano at a possible winner. It seems he does well when the Cup series goes to an event for its first time
That's fair....I am not so secretly pulling hard for Ty Gibbs to steal this one. He is a brilliant road course racer. If he can qualify well, stay up front, he has a shot. The race craft part is where he needs more experience, but with a brand new event, race craft is new for everybody. The playing field is leveled. If WE have our sim stuff together, and Ty executes, he's in the game IMO.
I feel this one will be a "dominant win" for someone, but I can't decide if I think it'll be MTJ or Larson. Really leaning MTJ as he's on fire.
Good point....but it will be interesting to see what MTJ does. He isn't a raw talent type of dude who can just stroll in, and manhandle a win. Larson is. MTJ is a set up guy....give him the perfect car, and he will dominate. I don't think anybody will have a perfect car. My eggs are in the Ty Gibbs basket. I think he is that raw talent guy....but so inexperienced. Should be fun.

Yeah, well said....and I really liked F1when WE were there. There are many layers to this weekend if fans just accept it for what it is.....1) Who has the best Sim engineers?--you better have your **** together off of the truck, 2) You better put a couple of laps together in qualifying--unless there is complete chaos, I doubt anybody comes form the back, and 3) Your put crew better be ready--losing spots on pit road will be crushing. This is IF there is minimal passing, and we go single file...we still have an amazing event. I think the other thing that is cool is that I don't think any of this would be possible 10 years ago....First, the durability of the Next Gen makes it conceivable, but mostly, I don't think the field had the talent level to make this worth the time. It amazes me that there are people who have been ****ting on this for months....no it doesn't.

I think this is one area you and I agree on.....Don't **** on the sport.

That's fair....I am not so secretly pulling hard for Ty Gibbs to steal this one. He is a brilliant road course racer. If he can qualify well, stay up front, he has a shot. The race craft part is where he needs more experience, but with a brand new event, race craft is new for everybody. The playing field is leveled. If WE have our sim stuff together, and Ty executes, he's in the game IMO.

Good point....but it will be interesting to see what MTJ does. He isn't a raw talent type of dude who can just stroll in, and manhandle a win. Larson is. MTJ is a set up guy....give him the perfect car, and he will dominate. I don't think anybody will have a perfect car. My eggs are in the Ty Gibbs basket. I think he is that raw talent guy....but so inexperienced. Should be fun.
I'm not so high on Ty, but I do think his chances here are higher than an oval. I'd love to pick Chase, but I think all eyes are on them and the pressure to get him locked into playoffs via win is immense and people expect it here. I just don't have the faith to do it. If we were in the previous gen car with HMS's road course braking package, I'd put a mortgage payment on the 9. Now? Nope. MTJ was LIGHT YEARS better than the field at Sonoma and I just think that road course mojo continues.

Started by yourself.

There is no reason to forecast anything other than respectful commentary from forum members here.
Ty for the reminder. You are not the worst poster on the forum.

Reactions: Pat
Ty does well on road courses in a cheated up Xfinity car. Nascar pays a whole lot more attention to Cup cars and the competition is much stiffer in the Cup series. Ty is doing good considering but he is a long ways from a brilliant road racer in the Cup series

It looks like passing is going to be tough. Probably have to out brake into the corner and get position on the leading car is my guess. Restarts and pit passing are other opportunities.

I'm not so high on Ty, but I do think his chances here are higher than an oval. I'd love to pick Chase, but I think all eyes are on them and the pressure to get him locked into playoffs via win is immense and people expect it here. I just don't have the faith to do it. If we were in the previous gen car with HMS's road course braking package, I'd put a mortgage payment on the 9. Now? Nope. MTJ was LIGHT YEARS better than the field at Sonoma and I just think that road course mojo continues.
Well, the '21 Camaro had a well documented (by Chadly although @StandOnIt refutes this) advantage over the field. Playing field is leveled....but Chase can be a part of this. MTJ was as good as the rest of the Toyotas in raw speed, but his advantage is managing the long run at Sonoma. Chicago will be a different animal. We will see on Ty....just too early to expect anything, but how cool would it be if he could do it?

Back
Top Bottom