College Football 2020

Buckeyes defense is nuts if they think they can give up that type of chunk yardage to Bama and win this thing...

Perfectly-timed forced takeaway for the Buckeyes. Couldn’t afford to get down two scores to Alabama. We’re back on track for a shootout.

When Sark is scheming Slade Bolden open for TDs it might be over. Even missing DeVonta Smith’s otherworldly presence isn’t enough to stop Bama.

RTR!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1610427221744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1610427221744.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 158
Worst defense talent wise in awhile for the Buckeyes, and elite Alabama tore them up. Awful game plan hurt them quite a bit, Jones and Harris absolutely destroyed that soft zone.

Mac Jones was rated 25th of 29 enrollees in Alabama’s 2017 recruiting class, one of only five players not rated a 4* or 5*, with three of the other four being a kicker, center, and long snapper. Not a bad glow up.

@FLRacingFan what is your opinion on what happened to the florida state and gator teams of the past. I remember them battling for the 'ship year afdter year and the tide hardly being in it.

That said, as a Canuck, when I visited the great state of AL, I noticed many people had "Roll tide" tatooed on them. Also the town shuts down on Sat.

@FLRacingFan what is your opinion on what happened to the florida state and gator teams of the past. I remember them battling for the 'ship year afdter year and the tide hardly being in it.

That said, as a Canuck, when I visited the great state of AL, I noticed many people had "Roll tide" tatooed on them. Also the town shuts down on Sat.
There are a few reasons for each really. Saban came to Alabama a couple of years after Meyer came to Florida and was a couple of years behind schedule, but once he caught up and passed (2009) Meyer had his health episode. Depending on what you believe some personal stuff may have factored into that too. Afterwards, Muschamp has proven he’s not a solid HC and McElwain is a good G5 HC, but that’s the ceiling. Recruiting hasn’t been great either. Mullen is the best coach of the three since Meyer but recruiting is still a work in progress.

FSU mostly coincides with the rise of Clemson with Dabo and co., and Jimbo developing tension with the school or some things he didn’t feel like he was being given before ultimately leaving for A&M.

After Clemson got good the boosters at their old rival Georgia finally had enough and started putting a ton of money into the program. Other than Ohio State, no one recruits as well as consistently as Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson now and they pull from a lot of the same recruiting bases. Until someone is able to take Florida recruits back from Alabama and Georgia recruits back from UGA and Clemson the ceiling is mostly good but not great.

There are a few reasons for each really. Saban came to Alabama a couple of years after Meyer came to Florida and was a couple of years behind schedule, but once he caught up and passed (2009) Meyer had his health episode. Depending on what you believe some personal stuff may have factored into that too. Afterwards, Muschamp has proven he’s not a solid HC and McElwain is a good G5 HC, but that’s the ceiling. Recruiting hasn’t been great either. Mullen is the best coach of the three since Meyer but recruiting is still a work in progress.

FSU mostly coincides with the rise of Clemson with Dabo and co., and Jimbo developing tension with the school or some things he didn’t feel like he was being given before ultimately leaving for A&M.

After Clemson got good the boosters at their old rival Georgia finally had enough and started putting a ton of money into the program. Other than Ohio State, no one recruits as well as consistently as Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson now and they pull from a lot of the same recruiting bases. Until someone is able to take Florida recruits back from Alabama and Georgia recruits back from UGA and Clemson the ceiling is mostly good but not great.
GREAT detailed answer. thanks so much for your addition here FLRF! :D

Initial reaction - too many teams in general, particularly at-large teams. Three-loss SEC teams are going to get in under this format. The massive regular season upset will be far less consequential going forward. Quarterfinals shouldn’t be at bowl sites, they should be hosted by the top four seeds. Otherwise a team could end their national title run playing four straight neutral site games. I like that there’s no longer a true P5/G5 distinction, and that the auto bids are straight-up the top six conference champions. This would mean that both Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina would’ve hosted playoff games last season.

I hate it.

Should be a 6-team playoff. At the end of the year, there are never more than a half dozen teams that are worthy of competing for the title. I also think #1 and #2 should be rewarded with a first round bye.

The more teams you have in a playoff, the less the regular season matters. But money wins out, and that's the bottom line unfortunately

Whelp can't say that I'm surprised at that proposal with the non-variety of schools making it into "the 4" lately. (seems like they're ready to mix it up)

It's a regular season killer, which is supposed to be the core spirit/key differentiator of college football, the biggest programs will have more margin for error.

The good, the Boise State's the UCF's, at least will have their shot at glory and will have settled it all on the field (right? they can't possibly get snubbed?)

I don't entirely hate it, but I hate it devaluing the regular season, and a 2-loss or 3-loss Bama will have some folks blowing a gasket, tough to take.

Going from not enough to too many. 8 would be the perfect number....all the Power 5 conference champions, the highest ranked Group of 5 conference champion, and two at-larges.

don't even know what to say if that for real happens, would be a big change to the college football landscape.

don't even know what to say if that for real happens, would be a big change to the college football landscape.

Jmo, but I’m leaning more towards full doomer now than ever before. This is closing in on what the European Super League movement was about before it was ultimately squashed. I don’t think it’ll be too long before there’s 40ish teams - if that - allowed in the top flight of CFB.

Between free transfer, name-image-likeness, super conferences, expanded playoffs, etc.....College football as we all knew it is dying. There's going to be a ton of change over the next decade, and of course it's all money driven. Unfortunately regular season games won't matter nearly as much, and you can say goodbye to regional conferences. I won't even touch the N-I-L stuff because even the schools don't know what the hell to expect yet. But a lot of the great things that made college football unique are going away.

Whatever they do, I just hope they continue to embrace the traditions and pageantry that make college football so good. I don't want it to feel like a professional sport, a junior NFL. Hopefully they will find a way to have 5 conferences of 16 teams, or at least 4 conferences of 20. I don't ever want to see big time D1 football with anything less than 80 teams.

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show anymore with all this stuff :lurk:.

At least the likelihood of having had it settled on the field will have gone up, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see how past teams like Boise State or UCF would have stacked up against power programs in a playoff. The thought of seeing Oklahoma and Texas in the SEC is intriguing to me, whether they get throttled or not.

It is all about money, as it almost always is, so long as that remains they will survive just fine. But, I'll float one more factor that is likely catching up with them, and that is the migration of youth/hs participation into other sports due to cte/concussion/injury concerns, parents have smartened up to other sports, and that leaves overall less talent available coming down the pipeline to support the amount of teams that realistically have a chance to win a national championship, the dropoff of the Pac12 as a whole illustrates this imo.

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show anymore with all this stuff :lurk:.

At least the likelihood of having had it settled on the field will have gone up, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see how past teams like Boise State or UCF would have stacked up against power programs in a playoff. The thought of seeing Oklahoma and Texas in the SEC is intriguing to me, whether they get throttled or not.

It is all about money, as it almost always is, so long as that remains they will survive just fine. But, I'll float one more factor that is likely catching up with them, and that is the migration of youth/hs participation into other sports due to cte/concussion/injury concerns, parents have smartened up to other sports, and that leaves overall less talent available coming down the pipeline to support the amount of teams that realistically have a chance to win a national championship, the dropoff of the Pac12 as a whole illustrates this imo.
There’s already talk of re-evaluating the CFP proposal because Sankey was one of four guys in the working group who came up with it, and participated the whole time while working OU and Texas over to his league. That makes sense because not only would the SEC hoard even more TV money from Mickey Mouse but also stack the deck with potential at-large candidates. Getting four or five teams in from the SEC wouldn’t be out of reach.

I agree with your last point, I think the West Coast is getting hit with that movement harder than anyone. You see participation numbers decreasing each year in California but still rising in places like Texas, Florida, Georgia. Schools like USC and UCLA have had their coaching issues but having a smaller talent pool to draw from would strain anyone. No bueno for the sport as a whole.

At this point they should go to a East, West, North, South, Central conference structure and completely revamp everything because the current conferences have been f***** for 2 decades. 16 teams in top 5 conferences + up to 16 independent teams. That means 34 current D1 programs would be eliminated and that's probably a good thing because those teams are nothing but guaranteed wins for the big 5 conferences anyway.

Top 2 in each conference + 2 wild cards = 12 teams and this would be the most fair middle ground for fans, players, and the NCAA. I want to keep tradition as much as anyone but the reality is college football as we once knew it died in the early 2000's.

I agree with your last point, I think the West Coast is getting hit with that movement harder than anyone. You see participation numbers decreasing each year in California but still rising in places like Texas, Florida, Georgia. Schools like USC and UCLA have had their coaching issues but having a smaller talent pool to draw from would strain anyone. No bueno for the sport as a whole.

When Chip came to town for UCLA, I was like this it, here comes the resurgence back to being a nationally ranked top25 team on a consistent basis, but nope...

That would be a good chunk of change, five-star recruits coming out of hs have to be excited about this.

I think the Big 12’s days are numbered. Rumor is now that Kansas and Iowa State are in talks with the Big Ten about joining. That would only leave them with 6 schools.

Funny thing is the ACC will NEVER merge with the SEC because of their academic standards.

To me this feels like mid 2000s NASCAR, and I wouldn’t be shocked if the whole thing implodes on itself. Leaving traditions is never good

That would be a good chunk of change, five-star recruits coming out of hs have to be excited about this.

From the Southlake suburb not the Fort Worth suburb of Dallas.

Back
Top Bottom