College football 2023

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Last full month without college football :D

Mizzou celebrated Independence Day appropriately yesterday by getting a c/o 2024 commitment from, I **** you not, James Madison II.

Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC(?) along with UCLA & USC go the B1G 16 will make me lose interest next year.

Greed 👎

Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC(?) along with UCLA & USC go the B1G 16 will make me lose interest next year.

Greed

The amount of comparisons between NASCAR and college football is staggering. It’s like they’re following the playbook to a tee

With 14-16 teams in some of these leagues, that’s gonna be some teams that aren’t used to losing.
That’ll honestly be fascinating to watch. Could be some very frustrated fan bases out there. My guess is then it wouldn’t take long for people to start clamoring for more CFP expansion, lol. Especially if the SEC adds a ninth conference game at some point.

That’ll honestly be fascinating to watch. Could be some very frustrated fan bases out there. My guess is then it wouldn’t take long for people to start clamoring for more CFP expansion, lol. Especially if the SEC adds a ninth conference game at some point.

I kinda miss the BCS system. A 12 team playoff is alright, fair for all conferences at least.

The SEC has been CBS’s feature game pretty much my whole life so it’s gonna be strange hearing that theme music blaring as Northwestern and Rutgers take the field week 1.

I wish the PAC-12 would get get their ish together already so they could invite SDSU finally.

Northwestern has fired Pat Fitzgerald after a series of hazing and racism allegations has been uncovered. Going back to his playing days, this man was Northwestern football. What a sad end to his tenure.

Big credit to the NU journalism students at The Daily for taking the lead on this. What a job.

College football should move to start after the fall Bristol race

Northwestern has fired Pat Fitzgerald after a series of hazing and racism allegations has been uncovered. Going back to his playing days, this man was Northwestern football. What a sad end to his tenure.

Big credit to the NU journalism students at The Daily for taking the lead on this. What a job.

The guy had the safest job in college football. Pretty much the only thing he had to do was not allow rampant sexual hazing and racism run rampant

So Colorado is taking a life boat back to the Big XII in 2024 after a bit over a decade of being the worst program in the PAC. Still doesn’t sound like the PAC has a TV deal to offer to their schools and it may not be long before someone else decides to jump ship.

A hunderd degree weather is just to hot for Football.

So Colorado is taking a life boat back to the Big XII in 2024 after a bit over a decade of being the worst program in the PAC. Still doesn’t sound like the PAC has a TV deal to offer to their schools and it may not be long before someone else decides to jump ship.
What Deion has done for that program in a mere 6 months is nothing short of incredible. Hopefully they can back it up on the field, and if they can the sky is the limit for them in the next couple years.

Start preparing the obituaries for the PAC and Oregon State/Washington State athletics.

Florida State will jump ship from the ACC as soon as they can find a way to legally do so. At that point, UNC/Clemson/Miami aren’t far behind.

The P5 is poised to become the Super 2, with a decent third.

Florida State will jump ship from the ACC as soon as they can find a way to legally do so. At that point, UNC/Clemson/Miami aren’t far behind.

The P5 is poised to become the Super 2, with a decent third.

To the SEC?

To the SEC?
Out of the ACC schools that are exploring their options (which has been going on for months), I’d say the cultural or institutional fits are

Big Ten - Miami, Virginia
SEC - NC State, Virginia Tech, Clemson

I see UNC and FSU as toss-ups, they could work in either.

This is probably going to sound like a “the past was better and I want to go back “ post you can find in a racing thread upstairs but hell this is sad. What drew me to college football was the regional conferences that spawned the regional rivalries and traditions that gave the sport its uniqueness. That’s dying by the day with all the realignment happening, 10-15 years from now the sport should be raking in the cash and business wise it’s not a mistake to try and form a Super 2. Soul wise…..the sport lost itself and will look very sterile. It’s going to be NFL on campus pretty much, another week another game.

This is probably going to sound like a “the past was better and I want to go back “ post you can find in a racing thread upstairs but hell this is sad. What drew me to college football was the regional conferences that spawned the regional rivalries and traditions that gave the sport its uniqueness. That’s dying by the day with all the realignment happening, 10-15 years from now the sport should be raking in the cash and business wise it’s not a mistake to try and form a Super 2. Soul wise…..the sport lost itself and will look very sterile. It’s going to be NFL on campus pretty much, another week another game.
I’m right there with you. I’m finding college football harder and harder to get into with each passing year.

Yeah, it’s not a good sign when camps are opening up and 95% of the sport’s coverage is fixated on Board meetings.

Consolidation is not as interesting as when there were six viable power leagues.

It's almost like colleges shouldn't be run based on sports teams...

It's almost like colleges shouldn't be run based on sports teams...
agreed but when ESPN and Fox are throwing money at these schools to move leagues and pretty much create a Super 2 this is whats going to happen. The SEC and Big 10 will be the last one standing, its going to be minor league NFL pretty much with SEC/Big 10 as the AFC/NFC. It sucks to see. I think the Big 12 is going to carve a niche for themselves, what that is I dont know at this point but they've really solidified themselves.

Yeah, it’s not a good sign when camps are opening up and 95% of the sport’s coverage is fixated on Board meetings.

Consolidation is not as interesting as when there were six viable power leagues.
stinks. really takes away the optimism of a new season opening when the biggest story today is the Arizona BOR meeting happening in a few hours. Takes my enthusiasm away a bit from the start of this coming campaign.

agreed but when ESPN and Fox are throwing money at these schools to move leagues and pretty much create a Super 2 this is whats going to happen. The SEC and Big 10 will be the last one standing, its going to be minor league NFL pretty much with SEC/Big 10 as the AFC/NFC. It sucks to see. I think the Big 12 is going to carve a niche for themselves, what that is I dont know at this point but they've really solidified themselves.
It’s going to be basketball IMO. Brett Yorman breifly talked about it with Joel Klatt in an interview from a couple weeks ago. I’ll put the link to the except below, about a minute in.

Joel Klatt has a good college football podcast that I often listen too. I’m a passive CFB fan, and will watch top 25 teams play. But I liked to stay informed and his podcast does that. Additionaly, and he often mentions it, he LOVES CFB and truly cares about it.

It’s going to be basketball IMO. Brett Yorman breifly talked about it with Joel Klatt in an interview from a couple weeks ago. I’ll put the link to the except below, about a minute in.

Joel Klatt has a good college football podcast that I often listen too. I’m a passive CFB fan, and will watch top 25 teams play. But I liked to stay informed and his podcast does that. Additionaly, and he often mentions it, he LOVES CFB and truly cares about it.

Brett really caught the Pac 12 with their pants down in this instance, there's going to be a 30 for 30 one day about just how inept and arrogant the PAC12 was that caused their downfall. Back to your point, thats a great observation on your end, the Big 12 has been probably the best basketball conference for a while now. They're supposed to be talking to UConn as well, conference realignment at its finest there.

Brett really caught the Pac 12 with their pants down in this instance, there's going to be a 30 for 30 one day about just how inept and arrogant the PAC12 was that caused their downfall. Back to your point, thats a great observation on your end, the Big 12 has been probably the best basketball conference for a while now. They're supposed to be talking to UConn as well, conference realignment at its finest there.
I think they’ll wind up taking Arizona, Arizona State, Utah very shortly - even if the latter two will be coming along reluctantly. They’re already the best basketball league and with Houston and Arizona will only be even better. In football I don’t think they’ll ever really compete on the national stage, but it’ll be a fun league with a lot of parity and chaos. Last year it felt like the deepest league from top to bottom.

Now Washington has an executive session scheduled later tonight too. USC doesn’t have a vote in the Big Ten yet but they’ve been vocal about not wanting to add other West Coast teams to the B1G. Bunch of spoiled twats.

I think they’ll wind up taking Arizona, Arizona State, Utah very shortly - even if the latter two will be coming along reluctantly. They’re already the best basketball league and with Houston and Arizona will only be even better. In football I don’t think they’ll ever really compete on the national stage, but it’ll be a fun league with a lot of parity and chaos. Last year it felt like the deepest league from top to bottom.

Now Washington has an executive session scheduled later tonight too. USC doesn’t have a vote in the Big Ten yet but they’ve been vocal about not wanting to add other West Coast teams to the B1G. Bunch of spoiled twats.
Just reading on socials, many folks can see once the TV money dries up 15-20 years from now, it may become regionalized again in the way of conferences. I dont buy it but interesting way to think about it. If you remember when A&M joined the SEC they didnt want Texas to follow them, USC is employing that same thinking with Washington. Just a clown show, the sports that are really going to suffer from this are the Soccer programs, Swimming teams, smaller baseball programs and sports of those ilk that have to travel 3 time zones for a conference game, its just silly and so superficial. Just admit you're taking the money grab and networks are running the show.

Just reading on socials, many folks can see once the TV money dries up 15-20 years from now, it may become regionalized again in the way of conferences. I dont buy it but interesting way to think about it. If you remember when A&M joined the SEC they didnt want Texas to follow them, USC is employing that same thinking with Washington. Just a clown show, the sports that are really going to suffer from this are the Soccer programs, Swimming teams, smaller baseball programs and sports of those ilk that have to travel 3 time zones for a conference game, its just silly and so superficial. Just admit you're taking the money grab and networks are running the show.
Other sports do sometimes travel a bit. Berkley UC Davis, and Stanford are all associate members of the America East Conference for Field Hockey...this is the rest of the conference.

Screenshot_20230803_140727_Chrome.jpg

In a shocking twist, it sounds like the PAC schools may actually be signing a grant of rights this morning and sticking together? Holy. That in itself may be the biggest upset I’ve seen in years.

So my guess is Oregon and Washington are just trying to get the Big Ten to give them more money, it sounded like the partial share they were offered by the B1G wouldn’t have been much more than what the PAC offer is after travel expenses are accounted for.
Wonder if the Big 10 will take Stanford and Cal at this point too. They can almost make their own mini league at that point having the west coast teams in one division, midwest in one and eastern teams in one. They're doing away with divisions but if these conferences are going to have 20 teams in them, its almost best to have them separated somewhat with cross over games added in. Meanwhile the SEC waits for Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and Virginia.

In about 5 years college football is just going to be two mega conferences with regional divisions that are basically the same as the old conferences. Everything will be fine but we'll have cooler intradivisional matchups every year like Michigan-USC, Alabama-Oklahoma, OSU-FSU. I really don't think it's bad

Wonder if the Big 10 will take Stanford and Cal at this point too. They can almost make their own mini league at that point having the west coast teams in one division, midwest in one and eastern teams in one. They're doing away with divisions but if these conferences are going to have 20 teams in them, its almost best to have them separated somewhat with cross over games added in. Meanwhile the SEC waits for Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and Virginia.
The B1G needed a late push to get Oregon and Washington over the finish line, and those are still only partial shares. The SEC couldn’t even get Disney to give them more money for a ninth conference game when they asked earlier this year. I’m not sure the infinite gravy train is really that infinite. FSU is trying to work with private equity to raise money to bail out of the ACC, which is a gross develop in itself.

I can’t emphasize enough how much this sucks.

In about 5 years college football is just going to be two mega conferences with regional divisions that are basically the same as the old conferences. Everything will be fine but we'll have cooler intradivisional matchups every year like Michigan-USC, Alabama-Oklahoma, OSU-FSU. I really don't think it's bad
those matchups were what the Bowls were for, call me old fashioned I guess. I hate everything about this realignment but its the world we live in. Hopefully once they have the 12 team playoff with games played on campus, that will make me probably forget about all this nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom