College football 2023

those matchups were what the Bowls were for, call me old fashioned I guess. I hate everything about this realignment but its the world we live in. Hopefully once they have the 12 team playoff with games played on campus, that will make me probably forget about all this nonsense.
At the end of the day college football teams are going to play another college football team 12 times or more a year and that's all I really care about. Realignment has happened the entire time. The University of Chicago used to rule the Big Ten. It's still by far the best sport on Earth.

Realignment has happened the entire time. The University of Chicago used to rule the Big Ten. It's still by far the best sport on Earth.
This is true but it’s on a magnitude pretty much never seen before. In the last decade or so we’ve seen two power conferences collapse and the ACC is pretty much a dead man walking at this point. The last time that ever happened was the SWC back in the 90’s, which really killed itself with all of the corruption and scandal back in the 80’s. This is just TV executives trying to consolidate resources.

I’d say this current 2021-2023 phase of realignment has brought back a few rivalries, but mostly ones that were undone by the 2010-2012 phase. Considering the ones that are still gone and are killed in the most most recent phase, and the general loss of regional flair, I’d call it a net negative.

I preferred when there were more unique leagues that had their own culture and play style, and they were small enough you could play most, if not all, of your conference mates every single season.

The expanded playoff is also pretty redundant when there are pretty much soon to be only three viable big leagues and a G6, or whatever it sounds up being. If we do get to a point where the SEC and B1G each have 18-20 members, we’re gonna have a playoff with maybe 4-5 bids each, 1-2 Big XII teams, and 1 Group of whatever team.

I’m not old enough to be yelling at clouds so I’ll stop there for now.

The B1G needed a late push to get Oregon and Washington over the finish line, and those are still only partial shares. The SEC couldn’t even get Disney to give them more money for a ninth conference game when they asked earlier this year. I’m not sure the infinite gravy train is really that infinite. FSU is trying to work with private equity to raise money to bail out of the ACC, which is a gross develop in itself.

I can’t emphasize enough how much this sucks.
I'm gonna miss those late night PAC12 games, #PAC12AfterDark was really fun.

This is true but it’s on a magnitude pretty much never seen before. In the last decade or so we’ve seen two power conferences collapse and the ACC is pretty much a dead man walking at this point. The last time that ever happened was the SWC back in the 90’s, which really killed itself with all of the corruption and scandal back in the 80’s. This is just TV executives trying to consolidate resources.

I’d say this current 2021-2023 phase of realignment has brought back a few rivalries, but mostly ones that were undone by the 2010-2012 phase. Considering the ones that are still gone and are killed in the most most recent phase, and the general loss of regional flair, I’d call it a net negative.

I preferred when there were more unique leagues that had their own culture and play style, and they were small enough you could play most, if not all, of your conference mates every single season.

The expanded playoff is also pretty redundant when there are pretty much soon to be only three viable big leagues and a G6, or whatever it sounds up being. If we do get to a point where the SEC and B1G each have 18-20 members, we’re gonna have a playoff with maybe 4-5 bids each, 1-2 Big XII teams, and 1 Group of whatever team.

I’m not old enough to be yelling at clouds so I’ll stop there for now.
The divisions will end up being essentially like the old conferences. The teams are the same whether you're grouping them in 2 20 team conferences or 4 10 team conferences.

At the end of the day college football teams are going to play another college football team 12 times or more a year and that's all I really care about. Realignment has happened the entire time. The University of Chicago used to rule the Big Ten. It's still by far the best sport on Earth.
You're right, realignment has always been around in some form or fashion. But the very core of the sport is changing, what drew me as a fan as I said up above was the nature of the regional rivalries and traditions that make college football just so cool. Thats changing, whether its good or bad I dont know but some of those great things I mentioned are going extinct.

saw this tweet, I follow this writer, I've been a fan of his since I was in college and he wrote for SI. I dont hate it, lets just get it over already.

The divisions will end up being essentially like the old conferences. The teams are the same whether you're grouping them in 2 20 team conferences or 4 10 team conferences.
They’re both going division-less now. It’s pretty much just a few protected games (and a school like Penn State doesn’t even have any) and then a rotation. I think the plan was for each school to see every stadium once in a four-year graduating cycle, but that math has to change again now (and if/when there’s further expansion).

Also, it doesn’t change that the remnants of these conferences are still spread around like, three different leagues each at this point, when you look at the makeup of a PAC-10 or Big XII from fifteen years ago.

You're right, realignment has always been around in some form or fashion. But the very core of the sport is changing, what drew me as a fan as I said up above was the nature of the regional rivalries and traditions that make college football just so cool. Thats changing, whether its good or bad I dont know but some of those great things I mentioned are going extinct.
I see what you're saying but we're still going to have rivalries. The Big Ten has protected games for the biggest rivalries.

I see what you're saying but we're still going to have rivalries. The Big Ten has protected games for the biggest rivalries.
true. It's just something I'll adjust to. As long as I have Florida vs Tennessee, Florida vs FSU, FSU vs Miami and Florida vs Georgia mixed in with Florida vs Miami every few years, I'll manage.

They’re both going division-less now. It’s pretty much just a few protected games (and a school like Penn State doesn’t even have any) and then a rotation. I think the plan was for each school to see every stadium once in a four-year graduating cycle, but that math has to change again now (and if/when there’s further expansion).

Also, it doesn’t change that the remnants of these conferences are still spread around like, three different leagues each at this point, when you look at the makeup of a PAC-10 or Big XII from fifteen years ago.
I don't take the divisionless plan that serious because they knew they weren't even close to done with realignment.

Idaho and Montana used to be in the Pac 10 way back when.

I've heard these theories of college football tradition being destroyed my whole life. When I was little I remember the outrage over the Southwest Conference dissolving. The outrage over Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big 12 seems comical. Penn State joining the Big Ten. Utah joining the Pac 12.Texas A&M leaving the Big 12 was supposed to be catastrophic. Conference USA switching teams every year. The Big East dissolving. Hell FSU has barely been in the ACC 30 years. I remember when the Mountain West wasn't even a conference.

I don't take the divisionless plan that serious because they knew they weren't even close to done with realignment.

Idaho and Montana used to be in the Pac 10 way back when.

I've heard these theories of college football tradition being destroyed my whole life. When I was little I remember the outrage over the Southwest Conference dissolving. The outrage over Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big 12 seems comical. Penn State joining the Big Ten. Utah joining the Pac 12.Texas A&M leaving the Big 12 was supposed to be catastrophic. Conference USA switching teams every year. The Big East dissolving. Hell FSU has barely been in the ACC 30 years. I remember when the Mountain West wasn't even a conference.
So the B1G has four West Coast teams, how do they make for a full division? They don’t seem sold on Stanford/Cal and no one wants to pay more millions for OSU/Wazzu. Even if they had enough teams to be feasible, isn’t part of the point that the rest of the Big Ten wants to visit LA - whether it be @ USC or @ UCLA - every other year or so? That becomes almost impossible to do with large divisions. I think the most likely is a pod arrangement.

I agree there have been moves that weren’t and wouldn’t’ be too consequential in the grand scheme of things. FSU in the ACC has always been an odd fit. CUSA has almost always been a stepping stone conference. Penn State has fit in well in the B1G. I thought Utah was a great add for the PAC, didn’t seem to controversial to me at the time. But what’s been happening recently are Big 8/XII and PAC rivalries, which have literally existed since before WWI kicked off, being split apart. The Big East was the best basketball conference in the country, before it got raided at the behest of Disney. There’s little doubt in my mind we’ve lost more than we’ve gained. I could certainly prove to be wrong, but both on paper and and just vibes, a lot of this feels a bit depressing.

I probably come off as a bitch right now, but I can admit that at least the first several years the new matchups will carry a lot of intrigue. But damn, just feels like a little bit of soul is chipped away at too often these days.

The eventual 30 for 30 or Netflix Documentary on the downfall then extinction of the PAC 12 is going to be something

And it’s ova. What a colossal failure from the PAC12

So the B1G has four West Coast teams, how do they make for a full division? They don’t seem sold on Stanford/Cal and no one wants to pay more millions for OSU/Wazzu. Even if they had enough teams to be feasible, isn’t part of the point that the rest of the Big Ten wants to visit LA - whether it be @ USC or @ UCLA - every other year or so? That becomes almost impossible to do with large divisions. I think the most likely is a pod arrangement.

I agree there have been moves that weren’t and wouldn’t’ be too consequential in the grand scheme of things. FSU in the ACC has always been an odd fit. CUSA has almost always been a stepping stone conference. Penn State has fit in well in the B1G. I thought Utah was a great add for the PAC, didn’t seem to controversial to me at the time. But what’s been happening recently are Big 8/XII and PAC rivalries, which have literally existed since before WWI kicked off, being split apart. The Big East was the best basketball conference in the country, before it got raided at the behest of Disney. There’s little doubt in my mind we’ve lost more than we’ve gained. I could certainly prove to be wrong, but both on paper and and just vibes, a lot of this feels a bit depressing.
I mean Arizona and ASU are going to preserve their rivalry by going to the Big 12. USC and UCLA will preserve theirs. Washington and WSU can easily play each other out of conference if they wish like Iowa and Iowa State do every year. Same for Oregon and Oregon State.

Some of it sucks but I'm not going to lose my mind over Washington State not having a conference. It sucked when the Southwest Conference dissolved and TCU and SMU were left in the dust by A&M, Tech, and Texas, but things moved on. TCU ended up ok

I mean Arizona and ASU are going to preserve their rivalry by going to the Big 12. USC and UCLA will preserve theirs. Washington and WSU can easily play each other out of conference if they wish like Iowa and Iowa State do every year. Same for Oregon and Oregon State.

Some of it sucks but I'm not going to lose my mind over Washington State not having a conference. It sucked when the Southwest Conference dissolved and TCU and SMU were left in the dust by A&M, Tech, and Texas, but things moved on. TCU ended up ok
Oregon/Oregon State and Washington/Wazzu won’t be on the same plane of existence at this point. It’ll be like the Colorado/Colorado State “rivalry”. Same goes for Cal/UCLA and Stanford/USC. They’re going to be outclassed in resources after being on the same TV deal in the past.

I’ll at least still enjoy the hell out of this PAC-12 season though. This league is stacked this year and will be really fun to watch before it goes away.

Oregon/Oregon State and Washington/Wazzu won’t be on the same plane of existence at this point. It’ll be like the Colorado/Colorado State “rivalry”. Same goes for Cal/UCLA and Stanford/USC. They’re going to be outclassed in resources after being on the same TV deal in the past.

I’ll at least still enjoy the hell out of this PAC-12 season though. This league is stacked this year and will be really fun to watch before it goes away.

The PAC 12 is screwed because of its lack of success. Washington in 2016 is the last team from that league to make the CFP.

with Utah and BYU joining the Big 12 that should be fun. Also looking forward to Colorado being back in the Big 12. Actually the new Big 12 should just be awesome in general. Great opportunities for Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, and UCF

The PAC 12 is screwed because of its lack of success. Washington in 2016 is the last team from that league to make the CFP.
Also their commissioner is an idiot. Couldn't negotiate a TV deal. The Pac 12 network sucked and then they were actually about to go to Apple TV where about 75 people were going to watch them

I think their biggest issues were off the field, just not getting PAC-12 Network into enough homes. That was a disaster, setting up a new big HQ in San Francisco was also a really dumb expense. They may have survived if not for that stuff.

The league was really fun and had a lot of parity from top to bottom. Unfortunately that meant they usually wound up cannibalizing themselves. Nine conference games, including a lot of weeknight games, makes it pretty tough to run the table.

USC deserves a lot of blame as well. They were the biggest brand in the league, got put on probation by the NCAA, and spent most of the past dozen or so years in mediocrity. That doesn’t help viewership at all. Then when the league wanted to expand explore expansion a couple of years they shot it down, all while they were exploring an exit plan of their own.

I'm not a college sports fan but my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and their 2 daughters went to U of O and so did many of their friends. Many of my neighbors are U of O alumni and none of them are happy about the defection.

Our newspaper is packed with stories today and as far as I can tell this is an unfortunate situation that was bound to happen.

its the day after as the smoldering ashes of the Pac12 are still warm

Bill C is a great analytics guy. Good write-up of what this year’s biggest and most fun/entertaining games will likely be.

So much has happened this off-season I forgot about the clock no longer stopping after a 1st down, minus the final two minutes of the half. Could be a lot more closer games as a result.

GO GATORS!

trevor-etienne-5.jpg

I can't say
Go
Cocks
due to the website filters(not that there anything wrong with that)
So Go University of South Carolina

Feild position!!
Feild position!.

Let the ball go to the end zone

I just realized Alabama plays a road game at USF this year. What in the actual F?
USF gets a decent number of 2-for-1 deals where we host one game and go to the other school twice. Hosted Florida on one in 2021, Alabama this year, Miami next year, Notre Dame in 2029. Good recruiting trip to come down here and they know they can fill up a lot of the stadium themselves anyways.

USF gets a decent number of 2-for-1 deals where we host one game and go to the other school twice. Hosted Florida on one in 2021, Alabama this year, Miami next year, Notre Dame in 2029. Good recruiting trip to come down here and they know they can fill up a lot of the stadium themselves anyways.
Smart move by USF too

It’s actually incomprehensible how bad Nebraska’s record in one-score games is the past several years. I think Rhule will eventually have some success, but that’s a brutal way to start.

Florida is going to go anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6 this season, just going to have to weather the storm this year.

It’s actually incomprehensible how bad Nebraska’s record in one-score games is the past several years. I think Rhule will eventually have some success, but that’s a brutal way to start.

Florida is going to go anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6 this season, just going to have to weather the storm this year.
Klatt mentioned this on the broadcast and to your point, incomprehensible. I have a soft spot for Rhule (Temple) so I hope he turns them around and based off his track record I believe he will. But as you said, just a brutal brutal way to start.

Klatt mentioned this on the broadcast and to your point, incomprehensible. I have a soft spot for Rhule (Temple) so I hope he turns them around and based off his track record I believe he will. But as you said, just a brutal brutal way to start.

Epic choke. The most Nebraska **** I’ve ever seen. They should’ve easily won that game, terrible pick thrown

All Coasts Conference. There’s your rebrand.

I don’t think it’s a bad preemptive move, because it’s more money in the interim before the members who clearly want out manage to do so, and gives more security when that does blow up. I just hope the dumb idea of Stanford and Cal playing all their Olympic sports matches versus the other coast in Dallas isn’t real. Not fair to those kids not to have conference home games.

Back
Top Bottom