I got bored and decided to use time for research
comparison

Dale Earnhardt Sr. career
http://www2.foxsports.com/obits/earnhardt/...dale_stats1.sml
won 4 cups in 11 seasons(1979-1990)
won 7 cups in 15 years (1979-1994)

Richard Petty career(1959-1992)
http://www.drive.to/richardpetty
won 4 championships in 13 seasons (1959-1972)
2 cups
won 7 championships in 20 seasons (1959-1979)
5 cups
(the reason i said championships here was because the first winston cup was in 1971 aand richard won it)

Jeff Gordan career (1993-present)
http://www.gordonline.com/stats.html
won 4 cups in 9 seasons (1993-2001)

note: nascar only considers 1971-present present day racing
*keep in mind racing has gotin more competitive over the years*
if anyone has any more info to contribute please do it cause my friend is gonna make a web site called the legends corner with all the stats on all 3 of them

ok everyone i clicked edit and edited but by the time i finished editing and clicked save changed i had took to long so paul delete that first post if you will

I got bored and decided to use time for research
comparison

Dale Earnhardt Sr. career(1979-2000)
http://www2.foxsports.com/obits/earnhardt/dale_stats1.sml
won 4 cups in 11 seasons(1979-1990)
won 7 cups in 15 years (1979-1994)
races wins top 5 top 10 winnings
Career Totals: 676 76 281 430 41 639 662

*raced 1 race in 2001 and he tragically died in lap four of the last lap some people said he could have one more cups but he hadn't won a cup since 1994*

Richard Petty career(1959-1992)
http://www.drive.to/richardpetty
won 4 championships in 13 seasons (1959-1972)
2 cups
won 7 championships in 20 seasons (1959-1979)
5 cups

Career Totals: they did not have this on that web site i had it before but cant seem to find the site with it again

(the reason i said championships here was because the first winston cup was in 1971 aand richard won it)

Jeff Gordan career (1993-present)
http://www.gordonline.com/stats.html
won 4 cups in 9 seasons (1993-2001)

Races Wins Top5 Top10 Money Won Poles
Career Totals 304 58 149 196 $46,663,750 41

note: nascar only considers 1971-present present day racing
*keep in mind racing has gotin more competitive over the years*
if anyone has any more info to contribute please do it cause my friend is gonna make a web site called the legends corner with all the stats on all 3 of them

thanks man love reading on stuff like that.

could have made some money on dale's carear and deaths in nascar but did not bet my brother. should have though

sure thing i like info like that too if you have anything else youd like info on tell me id love to research on it

i got a job for you. look up USAC.....AMA.....for a racer by the name of Steve(n) Alexander.......60's-70's he won the champ a few times and a lot of races.

he raced form 64-78.......can some on please help this infor is very imporent to me......he raced in the mid south...ky,,tn..mo..il...in

HEy lap I got an email back from a series about him but all they had was a small record that he competed in a race and it wasnt online it would cost 5 dollars to get it sent to you for shipping and handeling

FYI

Richard Petty Career

Events – 1184
Poles - 126
Wins - 200
Top 10 – 712
Money – $8,541,218

I never heard of Jeff Gordan:eek:

I have heard of Jeff Gordon though:D

Petty recorded his record 200 wins in 1,177 races, an average of one victory every 5.89 starts.

Earnhardt collected 76 victories in 676 races, one every 8.89 events.

Gordon's 58 wins have come in 310 races, an average of one victory every 5.34 starts.

Petty raced full time in the Cup series for 34 years, notching a championship every 4.86 years.

Earnhardt earned a title every 3.14 years over a 22-year career.

Gordon, in his ninth full season, brings home a championship every 2.25 years.:D

Sure....so far.But the last lap hasn't been turned yet.Gordon COULD[though unlikely]never win again in 5 more seasons or so.By that point his record would look a little less 'legendary'.And this isn't an anti-Gordon bash,by the way.I would just be cautious about being a little premature when comparing 'legends'.After all Kevin Harvick looked pretty good in his 4th race,percentage-wise.And Stewart has a pretty good win/race ratio as well.And I believe Johnson is MUCH farther along than JG at the same career point.

My point is it is just too early to compare Jeff with Petty.And by point accumulation,Earnhardt technically has 6 titles,not seven.Mark Martin outpointed him in 1990.

JMO on this.

actually neither one of them have 7 cups, technically earnhardt has 6 cups and richard only has 5.

Dan Gurney.....6 starts, 5 wins.

Lets see, that makes it a win every point eight three starts.

If yer going to compare legends smack500, try comparing legends.

:D

I was talking about winston cup (technical legends) only but if you wanna talk about everyone I think micheal shoemocker is the best driver in the world thats active right now.

Can I play?? Can I play??:D

71FAn Good point. If we're gonna talk legends, let's talk legends.

Since there seems to be some level of experience required, Gurney did not enough, Busch hasn't been around long enough, etc...I don't believe we can talk about being a "LEGEND" until a driver maikes at least 500 starts.

In that case let's use winning percentage as a benchmark. Using that deal the top 6 legends of NASCAR are: (in alphabetical order)

Bobby Allison
Dale Earnhardt
David Pearson
Richard Petty
Darrell Waltrip
Cale Yarborough

I can live with that!!;)

I cant put richard petty in the top 5 because most of his wins was from pre modern error, It would be like me you and a couple other cars takeing our cars on the tracks and racing them, thats how diffrent alot of the cars were back then.

Is that a serious statement???

Just as well say that no driver stats since 1990 will be allowed because it's all car and the driver don't make a difference anymore.

well obviously there was a big diffrence in raceing between modern and pre modern or nascar wouldnt have made that official If you look at the stats on nascars official site richard only has 60 something wins and 5 cups I wasnt alive then but why would they have drawn a line there if it wont a big deal???

Also I find it hard to beleive its as much about the cars as people say today if thats the case how did kevin harvick keep the lead from tony stewart and jimmie johnson and they had the fastest cars on the track by that same mark how can the guy with the best car finish in 20th place it happens all the time you should check the lap speeds of the drivers during the race

Originally posted by smack500
well obviously there was a big diffrence in raceing between modern and pre modern or nascar wouldnt have made that official If you look at the stats on nascars official site richard only has 60 something wins and 5 cups  I wasnt alive then but why would they have drawn a line there if it wont a big deal???

I can't imagine..reckon maybe it had to do with changing from Grand National to Winston Cup??

I was alive and watching races, bothe eras had great racing and tough competition. And I will not declare that either era was more competitive, and that's from personal experience.

dumb question.....the Busch Series is called the Busch Grand National Div.

did the Busch series evolve from the Grand National Div. and did they just form the Cup series in '71?

maybe some of you old timers can help me out on that one.

also ive never heard anything about Martin outpointing DE in 1990....whats the story on that?

Up until 1971 the top division in NASCAR was the "Grand National" . When Winston came on board to sponsor the division the name was changed to Winston Cup.

What is now the Busch series was known as "Late Model Sportsman" in the old days.

None of the series evolved into another, the names were changed.

ok thanks...thats what i needed to know....they just wanted to make it confusing. lol

LOL...no sweat, and it is not a dumb question.

Btw, the points system used to determine the championship was changed 4 years after the name change. The current system was drawn up by Bob Latford and went into effect in 1975.

Originally posted by HardScrabble
Can I play?? Can I play??:D

Well sure ya can Scrabbledude. You play in the sandbox about as nicely as anyone I've ever seen. I can only hope I age as well.

I for one will not discount any racer who has even won one major (or even semi-major) series event. But I won't elevate any driver to legendary status till the legend is fulfilled.

Hardscrabble is one very well educated dude when it comes to nascar:beerchug: Just as my blood pressure was starting to rise here he comes with the cold hard facts.
And thats right about the series only changing names, I also was under the impression that the points system had changed at that time. but I was wrong and if I research it I'm sure I'd find it to be true.
My hats off to you people that really know your nascar stuff.
:beerchug: :beerchug:

Until someone else wins 200 races at NASCAR's highest level, I can't see making an arguement against King Richard being the best ever. It wasn't like Petty had the only Hemi they ever produced. Other people could have done the same thing. But, they did not have the ability to set it up to race or the testicular fortitude to jam their car where the King would jam his into.

Deifan check nascars site on nascar facts Dale earnhardt technically only has 6 cups I think the driver who was leading in points had a penalty but then later he apealed it and they gave the points back to him but dale kept the cup thats what I herd anyway can any of you older fans please enlig 4hten me???

4xchampion do you know how long richard was in nascar before he won 200 races???? Its not just being able to win its how consistant you are in doing so

hmm It seems that officially on nascars site they have him as the cup winner there but I know I saw on speed channel they were talking about dale sr did not technically win one year I dunno maybe its just my imagination

Two points on this entertaining post,smack:

Mark Martin,by the his finishing order numbers DID in fact earn more points in 1990 than Dale did.One could go to the trouble and research the season,compare the finishing order and bonus points for that year and see a higher total number for Mark.Mark was fined 40 points[unprecedented at the time]for a carburator spacer,if memory serves[?].Mark 'lost'the title that year by 26 points.Still a sticking point for Roush.

And yes,you are right that Petty's TOTAL career record is less wins -per-races than Gordon's currently is.However,had Petty retired the very race he won his 200th,he would be clearly FAR ahead.All that hurt Richard,like D.W,is he stuck around for years without being competitive.But who knows,Jeff could do the same thing.JMO

final win of Richard Petty's career was in the Firecracker 400 at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway on July 4, 1984 and retired in 1992. That would make for about a 300 race winless streak to end his career.

27 wins in a single year (1967) is a record not one single driver has ever even approached. Such is the stuff of true legends. And tho Jeff may go down in history as one of the best, he sure as heck ain't no legend. Might be able to put him in the same catagory as DE, but Richard? I don't think so.

Sometimes becoming a "legend" is more than statistics. A legend is made of many things.

For me, there are legends you would never find perusing the statistical charts.

Wendell Scott
J D McDuffy
Herschel McGriff
Red Farmer

You can add a bunch more that will may never make anyones top 50 great lists but deserve mention whenever NASCAR legends are discussed.

As a nod to 71 I would not hesitate to add Dave to the list either, Just to beat him to the punch!!!
:D

I always find it hard comparing pre-modern era & modern era records mainly because the NASCAR circuit ran from 36 to 63 races in a season,so there were a lot more chances to pad stats than in an era when They're running from 29-36 races in modern era,JMO!

All right Smack, who ever said that Jeff Gordon is a legend, lol hahahaha. come on man. he is a good race car driver with a good team. he deserves credit for that.

jeff gordon-a legend in his own mind.

Originally posted by smack500
Deifan check nascars site on nascar facts Dale earnhardt technically only has 6 cups I think the driver who was leading in points had a penalty but then later he apealed it and they gave the points back to him but dale kept the cup thats what I herd anyway can any of you older fans please enlig 4hten me???

4xchampion do you know how long richard was in nascar before he won 200 races???? Its not just being able to win its how consistant you are in doing so

technically, Bill Clinton didnt inhale
technically, Bill Clinton didnt commit adultery
technically, Bill Clinton didn't steal

would you want him to have any influence with your kids whatsoever? Or how about leave him alone with your wife for a while?:rolleyes: I dont take well to the TECHNICALLY things in life.

some of us are men technically

Richard Petty a legend? Ha! Haha! What a joke. I wouldn't even put Richard in the top ten of great drivers in NASCAR. He was the CHEATINGEST(is that a word?) driver of all time. I bet if they would have had the strict rules and inspections that they have today ol Richard would have been lucky to win 50 races. Not only that, when Richard raced there was only about five other drivers that he had to worry about beating(or cheating out of a win). When people say that Richard was the greatest ever I just have to laugh. Cause it's a joke. One big joke.

And I'm by no means saying that Jeff Gordon is a legend. He's proved himself to be a great driver but not a legend. Not yet anyway.

Back
Top Bottom