COTA Echopark Automotive Texas Grand Prix Prerace Thread

Chase liked the balance of his car and really didn't say much in terms of needing adjustment. I think he likes driving in the rain, he seemed locked in.

Kyle Busch might be the man to beat with Xfinity qualifying and a race to be in. More seat time usually means a more in-tune KFB.

All of HMS seem happy, Chastain put in some consistent laps, Briscoe seemed to be happy as well.

This race to me is wide open, but I take Kyle as the favorite atm.

Willie B grabs the top spot in practice

View attachment 55512
It will be interesting to see if Larson burns the tires off of it in the race on road courses like he did with Ganassi (I am betting not). William has been constantly fast on road courses. Honestly, I am happy for him. I think he suffered a bit from a burned out Knaus. It is not mistake that Fugle is having a huge impact. KFB doesn't surprise me, but I will tell you (fanboy that I am) C Bell had a great session. Faster every lap. This is awesome.

Chase liked the balance of his car and really didn't say much in terms of needing adjustment. I think he likes driving in the rain, he seemed locked in.

Kyle Busch might be the man to beat with Xfinity qualifying and a race to be in. More seat time usually means a more in-tune KFB.

All of HMS seem happy, Chastain put in some consistent laps, Briscoe seemed to be happy as well.

This race to me is wide open, but I take Kyle as the favorite atm.
Good analysis. KFB for the win.....I like what I saw from Bell. MTJ isn't liking the rain IMO....and Denny is lost. Bubba is Bubba-ing on a road course, but better than I expected given the conditions. He is improving.

If it’s a rain race I’d put my money on AJ Sunday. As long as we can get qualifying in and he doesn’t start dead last

KFB Xfinity pole. KFB fastest in lap average for Cup. KFB Driving School open for business. I have always wanted to see what he could do full wet when all you have is your talent. Worth the wait.

I sure hope tomorrow's race is a lot better than the 2 today. Neither one did much for me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I thought the racing was great....both Trucks and Xfinity. Good stuff.

I'm pretty sure your opinion of the Xfinity race would be drastically different if kyle wouldn't have won.

Last week he was saying that Toyota didn’t put much stock into Dover because it’s not a track in the playoffs.

Now he’s all about winning at COTA.

The only consistency is inconsistency.

I'm pretty sure your opinion of the Xfinity race would be drastically different if kyle wouldn't have won.

Wrong. Why would I consider the Trucks race good? You should check out my Cup race ratings sometime.

Last week he was saying that Toyota didn’t put much stock into Dover because it’s not a track in the playoffs.

Now he’s all about winning at COTA.

The only consistency is inconsistency.
I said Ford too, but why screw up a great exchange, right? Whatever supports the narrative.

I said Ford too, but why screw up a great exchange, right? Whatever supports the narrative.
Ok, Ford too. That still doesn’t change the idea. If you’re consistent, maybe Ford and Toyota won’t care so much for performing well at COTA either since it’s not a playoff track.

My guess is that they care about winning every weekend, track be damned.

If you want my opinion, Kyle Busch will probably dominate tomorrow as long as his equipment stays together.

I don't understand why it's a passthrough penalty instead of just having to do a stop and go somewhere on the track?

Good point, isn't that what they do with the bus stop at The Glen? I guess if it's after that fact they just make them do a pass-through. I forget what they do with the 2 bus stops at the Charlotte Roval but I seem to recall that it's a full stop at the same bus stop.

Good point, isn't that what they do with the bus stop at The Glen? I guess if it's after that fact they just make them do a pass-through. I forget what they do with the 2 bus stops at the Charlotte Roval but I seem to recall that it's a full stop at the same bus stop.
At the roval it's definitely just a full stop. I just wish it was consistent elsewhere either way.

Blowing the bus stop, the driver comes to a full stop in the part of the track that isn't raced on. There isn't anyplace where the track isn't being raced on for a car to stop at COTA.
What? This track has some huge run off areas that can be used. I'm watching practice now and have spotted several spots on the track that easily and safely can be used.

What? This track has some huge run off areas that can be used. I'm watching practice now and have spotted several spots on the track that easily and safely can be used.

That is your opinion, it isn't Nascar's or mine for that matter. With only one car having to serve the penalty for screwing up in the S's I think they put the fear into the drivers to stay on the track. :idunno:

During the Truck and X races, people were racing in those run-offs.

Ok, Ford too. That still doesn’t change the idea. If you’re consistent, maybe Ford and Toyota won’t care so much for performing well at COTA either since it’s not a playoff track.

My guess is that they care about winning every weekend, track be damned.

If you want my opinion, Kyle Busch will probably dominate tomorrow as long as his equipment stays together.
Yeah, but there is a road course in the Playoffs.

Fair enough on winning every weekend.

We will see on Kyle. He looks good for sure, but we shall see.

I like my chances with 3 of the HMS cars in the top 5 in practice. Byron is really impressing me this year.
Should be a good battle. Of course, Kyle looks good, but Bell intrigues me. Pretty good crew chief on that 20 IMO. No question on Byron. He has the crew chief he deserves now. I feel like Larson will have long run speed for once at a road course because he is with an organization that can help him with that. Chase is a champion. Bowman was quiet yesterday IMO.

I love the logic lol! There's also ovals in the playoffs, therefore they should have cared about Dover

You are smarter. I give. Enjoy the race today!

I'm not going to drink the kool-aid on this is a good idea. I thought the truck race was decent but that was only because Todd Gilliland drove the wheels off of it to come back and win. I didnt watch the xfinity race but from what I've gathered it was a snooze fest.

I have an open mind coming into this afternoon but I dont expect much. Just like the Bristol on dirt people will watch this first race with rose colored glasses on and no matter what talk about how awesome this race is but I havent been impressed with what I've seen so far to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I like my chances with 3 of the HMS cars in the top 5 in practice. Byron is really impressing me this year.
Didn’t Byron lead a healthy amount of laps at Sonoma or the Glen last season, but Knaus ****** up the strategy by going for playoff points rather than the win? Memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Byron being successful on the road courses is a welcome surprise IMO.

Didn’t Byron lead a healthy amount of laps at Sonoma or the Glen last season, but Knaus ****** up the strategy by going for playoff points rather than the win? Memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

I don't think I watched the Sonoma race last season.

Yeah, dominated Stage 1 in Sonoma in 2019. I think that Chad intentionally went for Stage 1 points, and took his medicine with the rest of the race. Not sure how it would have all played out...MTJ was very good that day...as he routinely is at that place.

I think we will get a better idea who's who when qualifying is over. I think the usual suspects will be up at the front and it is going to be a hard fought win. I think the closest track to COTA would be Watkins Glen and Elliott has won that the last two years. Truex, Hamlin, and Logano the years before that.

Back
Top Bottom