Cup Championship RACE thread --- Phoenix

He really did.. I've had a grudge against Chase since what happened between him and Logano at Bristol earlier this season and coming into this race I didnt think he deserved to win the title.. I was of the "you have to lose one to win one" mentality and I just didnt think he would/should be able to get it done.. but he went out there two weeks in a row and stepped up when it really mattered and that (in my opinion) is what really makes a champion.. kudos to Chase and all his fans.. he earned my respect today
It didn't hurt that his pit crew was on their game.
Wish Brad could say the same.

Did good Chase. We all know a certain someone is damn proud of you.
92b84c595755e40ff1e5f0f9c78b08fe.jpg

Hoping the top 4 take themselves out on lap 1 so we don't have to hear PLAYOFFS every 3 seconds

Then we would have watched 30 minutes of them slamming onto the brakes trying to be the last to the garage, kind of like pit road before the choose rule.

Good night to all posters here. 2020 has been rough, but thank you all for providing friendly banter and an outlet during this time. See you all again come Daytona!

This was one of the better seasons in recent memory. Had it all really....two dominant drivers, icon retirement, multiple youngsters took a step into relevance and the new face of the sport with the famous last name won his first championship. I was entertained as hell this year. My only complaint is I didn’t get to attend a Race and my home track looks to have permanently lost their’s. As for the immediate future I’m taking a much needed break from here with popping in from time to time. I hope you all enjoyed the season and I highly enjoyed bantering with 99.9% of you. There’s some damn good people here

I just can't believe how many stars aligned for Chase, it's almost poetic.

Obviously the 1988 stuff.

There's a lot of parallels with Jimmie here too.

Jimmie's retirement season, Chase wins as a teammate.

The last time an HMS car went to the final 4, he started from the rear and won his last title. Chase did the same, and won his first.

The only two HMS drivers to make the final 4 needed to win their way in, and did so at Martinsville.

Chase's first season ended with his teammates last Championship. And his last season ended with Chase's first Championship.

The last HMS Champion won his first title in season 5. Chase wins his first in season 5.

The world is on fire. The US is on fire. And ridiculous coincidences occur. If we lived in Star Wars...this is the will of the force lolol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The last time an HMS car went to the final 4, he started from the rear and won his last title. Chase did the same, and won his first.

The only two HMS drivers to make the final 4 needed to win their way in, and did so at Martinsville.

Chase's first season ended with his teammates last Championship. And his last season ended with Chase's first Championship.

The last HMS Champion won his first title in season 5. Chase wins his first in season 5.

The world is on fire. The US is on fire. And ridiculous coincidences occur. If we lived in Star Wars...this is the will of the force lolol
That can be the only explanation.

9 team peaked in the playoffs, clicked off some pretty close to perfect races
Yes. When you dive deep into the numbers it's really telling.

Most wins in the playoffs
Most laps led
Highest average running position
Won the 3rd most races this season and led over 1k laps at a wide variety of tracks

He's as deserving a champion as you could ask for.

I've been alive for 30 NASCAR seasons for the first time I get to celebrate my driver winning the Cup!

Make that three* Gordon won Martinsville to make the 4 too in '15

Damn. I hope it updates to be sooner but my hat and shirt doesn’t come until March it’s saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chase did an awesome job to do his part in winning this championship. But there were a lot of other factors that played into this championship also. Like his crew chief that gave him an incredible race car, and his crew that maintained his car on the track and back at the shop on a weekly basis. You also have to give Rick Hendrick some much needed credit for supplying the 9 team with all of the assets it took to compete at a championship caliber level. Chevy had a pretty major role in his championship also. But, none of that would have even been a factor if a young girl named Cindy hadn't been the photographer and photo editor at Scene and Illustrated and had Budweiser as a client so that Bill Elliott could come there to get some photos taken when he landed Budweiser as a sponsor which in turn lit the fire that brought Chase into this world. Thank you Cindy Elliott for capturing Awesome Bill from Dawsonville's heart and making this 2020 championship possible.:cool:

Last edited:

With Chase winning the championship, it guarantees that Hendrick Motorsports will continue to bare the name of a champion above the driver side door on at least one car, even now that Jimmie is departing. Wow. Can't believe I'm typing those words. Jimmie has departed. It's gonna take a while for that one to sink in. He's the best to ever do it, and I got to see him do it time and again for the entirety of my NASCAR-watching days up until now. Much love and respect. Some may have found his ways of carrying himself on and off of the track as vanilla, but those "vanilla" traits are exactly what appealed to me. Good man. Good father and husband. Classy in interviews and in the heat of great battles. He let his driving do the talking, and earned his wins and titles with a reputation for being a clean and fair racer. Johnson also presented himself as a humble seven-time champion who didn't mind providing some of his knowledge to his peers and rivals. You bet I'm going to be keenly following his IndyCar ventures next year. I am thrilled that he will still be racing in some capacity, and trying his hand at something new!

I'm telling you, HMS lost that extra bit after the tapered spacers were introduced in 2015.

Merging HMS-RCR engine programs will be an issue for everyone else. Hopefully when Kurt Busch makes the playoffs again, hopefully he will be given a non-grenading engine in the playoffs next season.

Reactions: Pat
I normally don't have to much of a problem enjoying a NASCAR race, but if it wasn't for Chase running so well and having a good chance of winning then I may have turned it off. I think they really dropped the ball by moving it from Florida to Arizona. Very little passing, very few lead changes, and very few cautions.
Speaking of dodging a bullet. Imagine trying to have the race at Homestead
I'm willing to take my chances for a more exciting and better quality race. Night time racing is the best. :)

I normally don't have to much of a problem enjoying a NASCAR race, but if it wasn't for Chase running so well and having a good chance of winning then I may have turned it off. I think they really dropped the ball by moving it from Florida to Arizona. Very little passing, very few lead changes, and very few cautions.
I'm willing to take my chances for a more exciting and better quality race. Night time racing is the best. :)
massive flooding going on in the Miami area right now and we would be on rain watch. No thanks.

I know exactly what that feels like and it sure brings back some old memories. When I was working on a smaller budget independent team that only ran a limited schedule and we won the race in Brainerd MN in 2010 it was such an exciting moment when we were towing the car back to the hauler and all the way down the return road in front of the grandstands we got a standing ovation from all of the fans... but then when we turned the corner and started through the pit area and I saw all of the teams running out to the road clapping and congratulating us I had tears in my eyes and realized that we had just accomplished something that very few other independent teams had ever achieved. I had won races with larger big sponsored teams before but that feeling was nothing close to this win.

massive flooding going on in the Miami area right now and we would be on rain watch. No thanks.
Sometimes if you want better you have to pay a little bigger price and it doesn't always come easy. I survived the Texas rain delays so I'm sure I would have survived some Florida rain delays. It just means I would have been even more excited when it finally arrived. ;) :) On a side note I don't remember any of the other championship races at Homestead getting rained out.

Sometimes if you want better you have to pay a little bigger price and it doesn't always come easy. I survived the Texas rain delays so I'm sure I would have survived some Florida rain delays. It just means I would have been even more excited when it finally arrived. ;) :) On a side note I don't remember any of the other championship races at Homestead getting rained out.
The Daytona 500, Coke Zero 400, the Duel"s were all rain delayed and Homestead would have been rain delayed also. Pretty good logical reasons to have the last race in a desert climate. :idunno:

The Daytona 500, Coke Zero 400, the Duel"s were all rain delayed and Homestead would have been rain delayed also. Pretty good logical reasons to have the last race in a desert climate. :idunno:
So with that logic I guess we should move all of the races to the west coast. That would probably excite a few here. But, not me. I will take my chances of some rain. :)

don't believe I implied that at all.
As a crew guy I would probably prefer Phoenix for the obvious reason you pointed out. But as a fan I would much rather take my chances of some rain delays. But, you are right that the move was better this year because of the rain...but the racing sure wasn't near as good imo.

Back
Top Bottom