Cup RACE thread --- Atlanta

Well ya wish some of the knuckleheads trashing Nascar's super speedway setups screaming for more speed would at least pay attention to how dangerous it is. But nope, every Super race same ol sheet different day.

No I think we were content with the 4 Superspeedway races being accepted what they are and now there’s 6. All the arguments some of us “knuckleheads” that you can’t directly quote wanted more horsepower at the intermediates.

Thing is they dont need too. Atlanta obviously needed help and Texas did too. SMI did a great job with the Roval, another success story just like Atlanta. You dont think those smith boys got to be Billionaires by being dumb now did you?
Too young for most of them to know that Bruton Smith with Humpty Wheeler are some of the best promotional showman in the world and his son hasn't fallen far from the tree. But they think they know better what is good for the sport. lol

No I think we were content with the 4 Superspeedway races being accepted what they are and now there’s 6. All the arguments some of us “knuckleheads” that you can’t directly quote wanted more horsepower at the intermediates.
That too.

Yeah, knowing your point of view of what I think you’ll think I cheered for injuries.

Fans were injured during that wreck. Notice I didn’t say deaths, I said injuries.
Thought never crossed my mind. But put the goal posts where you want them.

There’s no goalpost. Daytona & Talladega weren’t made into pack racing out of just pure entertainment.
When they were made cars werent gonna fly in to the stands. Pack racing, Filling grandstands since 1988 and people are still whining.

When they were made cars werent gonna fly in to the stands. Pack racing, Filling grandstands since 1988 and people are still whining.

Go back and find a post of me whining about any Daytona or Talladega race.

I don't know if you whine about those two or not, but you sure as hell are whining about Atlanta lol

Yeah damn right. For someone that watches sprint cars all the time you’d think you’d understand some of our points of view.

Yeah damn right. For someone that watches sprint cars all the time you’d think you’d understand some of our points of view.
Oh but I do, but the rational side of the coin says just what in the hell are you going to do about it. Sit on the pity pot I guess. Atlanta isn't going to change to suit you, me or anybody else....period.

Oh but I do, but the rational side of the coin says just what in the hell are you going to do about it. Sit on the pity pot I guess. Atlanta isn't going to change to suit you, me or anybody else....period.

Nah it’s a discussion forum. You are free to put me on ignore if you don’t like my opinion.

so if I may..... (im going to be really late getting back here) if we dont like it.....too bad. That sounds like what my father would tell me when I was a child, I goofed up and had to deal with the consequences.

so if I may..... (im going to be really late getting back here) if we dont like it.....too bad. That sounds like what my father would tell me when I was a child, I goofed up and had to deal with the consequences.
welp. look at your options. Bang your head on the wall and it won't change a thing :idunno: except you will get some bumps. Crying sure isn't going to change anything

Does everybody think racing at Atlanta stay like a plate track? In a few years as the track surface gets older and rougher will they be able to stay full throttle the entire race? I doubt it so it may only race like a plate track for a few years.

Does everybody think racing at Atlanta stay like a plate track? In a few years as the track surface gets older and rougher will they be able to stay full throttle the entire race? I doubt it so it may only race like a plate track for a few years.
This. I was thinking the same thing. They were already having handling problems on the new surface and the track isn't at all configured like the other two super speedways, so who knows what is going to happen when it ages a bit. I hope it doesn't morf into a one laner.

This. I was thinking the same thing. They were already having handling problems on the new surface and the track isn't at all configured like the other two super speedways, so who knows what is going to happen when it ages a bit. I hope it doesn't morf into a one laner.
I think after a few years it definitely will have off throttle time.

If so, SMI will be disappointed. The oft-stated long term goal was to replicate the racing at Daytona and Talladega.

Who said that? Just curious
Okay, I've found a post where I quoted from the SMI statement. Hopefully I can work from the quote to find the actual announcement. I don't know about my ability to search Twitter, Facebook, or other social media so hopefully the actual announcement is out there somewhere.

"The stated goal from SMI director of operations Steve Swift and track president Brandon Hutchison is to break the mold of so-called cookie cutter mile and a half tracks by creating something that more closely resembles the racing product at Daytona and Talladega each year."

EDIT: Okay, the line I quoted above is from a Matt Weaver story on Yahoo Sports:

I would be very pleased if after a few years when the track ages that tire wear, greater race strategy and most importantly..off throttle time played a part again at Atlanta while also having current pack racing at the beginning of a run and obviously at restarts would be a happy medium for all. In my estimation, The Great Unknown is what the racing at this track will look like in 3-5 years and the proceeding years after that.

Okay, I've found a post where I quoted from the SMI statement. Hopefully I can work from the quote to find the actual announcement. I don't know about my ability to search Twitter, Facebook, or other social media so hopefully the actual announcement is out there somewhere.

"The stated goal from SMI director of operations Steve Swift and track president Brandon Hutchison is to break the mold of so-called cookie cutter mile and a half tracks by creating something that more closely resembles the racing product at Daytona and Talladega each year."

EDIT: Okay, the line I quoted above is from a Matt Weaver story on Yahoo Sports:

Comical. They are the ones that turned Atlanta into a Charlotte replica and built Texas the same way. It's their fault for the cookie cutter tracks.

Daytona and Talladega didn't go to restrictor plates to prevent racing injuries.
Huh?
During a 1987 race at Talladega, the car of Bobby Allison hit the catch-fencing at over 200mph.

After that, NASCAR sought ways to reduce engine power and top speeds in a bid to improve safety.

Back
Top Bottom