Cup RACE thread ---- Atlanta

2004 I disagree.

But it still wouldn't have changed the narrative, only because I'm referencing the head to head stats, wins, top 5s, top 10s, avg finish, laps lead etc all were significantly in favor of Johnson, even if the championship count was 2 to 4, or 1 to 5

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
2004 was absolutely the 24's to lose and they went out and did just that. They were the points leader going into the Chase and just did not get the finishes they needed early in the playoffs. They had five wins through 21 races, but none after that, and had three finishes outside the top ten in the last 10. If they pick up five measly positions over ten races, they are the champion, but it didn't happen. I don't think most people would spend much time delving into the head to head stats if Jeff and Jimmie had ended up with six titles apiece, which is what you would have if the 24 team could have dug just a little deeper in 04' and 07'. Having four finishes out of the top five in the final ten just was not going to beat a 2007 era 48 team, but that title was there for the taking too.

Don't know if this is the thread for it, but Chase will be on LaJoie's podcast Stacking Pennies this Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom