Cup RACE thread --- Bristol

It’s the car. This car sucks. I don’t know how you fix it, I’m not an engineer. But you took all the ingenuity, latitude and creativity from the teams building their own cars and I miss that nascar. I also think this car races pretty awesome on 1.5 ovals and the occasional road course, but it can’t perform on short tracks which is the DNA of NASCAR. In all fairness, Bristol has always been hard to pass at, remember one groove at the bottom Bristol? This car you can’t even move the guy out of the way….and btw I’m not saying wreck him just get him up out of the groove. I’m stoked Larson laid a 98 Jeff Gordon beat down on the field but it also breaks my heart fans are taking a dump on Bristol, it’s legit the coolest track on the circuit to go to as a fan. There’s enough of a sample size now to say this car is a failure that was intended to bring the field as close together as possible, which besides its first season it’s still just HMS, JGR which is sorta in rebuilding phase, And Penske which is what we had before. I don’t know what we achieved with this new car when your fan base is bitching about it each week, we’re turning into Robin Miller’s Mailbag for Indy car on Racer.Com

It’s the car. This car sucks. I don’t know how you fix it, I’m not an engineer. But you took all the ingenuity, latitude and creativity from the teams building their own cars and I miss that nascar. I also think this car races pretty awesome on 1.5 ovals and the occasional road course, but it can’t perform on short tracks which is the DNA of NASCAR. In all fairness, Bristol has always been hard to pass at, remember one groove at the bottom Bristol? This car you can’t even move the guy out of the way….and btw I’m not saying wreck him just get him up out of the groove. I’m stoked Larson laid a 98 Jeff Gordon beat down on the field but it also breaks my heart fans are taking a dump on Bristol, it’s legit the coolest track on the circuit to go to as a fan. There’s enough of a sample size now to say this car is a failure that was intended to bring the field as close together as possible, which besides its first season it’s still just HMS, JGR which is sorta in rebuilding phase, And Penske which is what we had before. I don’t know what we achieved with this new car when your fan base is bitching about it each week, we’re turning into Robin Miller’s Mailbag for Indy car on Racer.Com
Short tracks aren't the DNA of Nascar. That's B.S. Count how many there are. There's your answer.

With 75 laps to go, you had 2nd place 2.5 behind the leader. 3rd was 3.3 behind. 4th was 4.9. 5th was 5.5.

With 35 laps to go, you had 2nd place 3.3 behind the leader. 3rd was 4.6 behind. 4th was 5.0. 5th was 6.8.

With 20 laps to go, you had 2nd place 4.6 behind the leader. 3rd was 6.3 behind. 4th was 6.7. 5th was 7.7.

By the end of the race, 5th was over 10 seconds back. Throughout the final stage, nobody in the top five was close to one another at any point.

Short tracks aren't the DNA of Nascar. That's B.S. Count how many there are. There's your answer.
Nah that’s maybe bs to you because you can’t handle a dissenting opinion but look at some of the highest rated races on tv , they were Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond. Know what the oldest speedway on the circuit is? Its Martinsville they were racing on short tracks way before a beach in Daytona. If you want to say they’re not in the DNA now sure, I’d agree but at one time they were the most important part of the schedule that launched the series National.

Nah that’s maybe bs to you because you can’t handle a dissenting opinion but look at some of the highest rated races on tv , they were Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond. Know what the oldest speedway on the circuit is? Its Martinsville they were racing on short tracks way before a beach in Daytona
Times change, and no besides the tire thing at Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond are at the lower end of the middle in ratings.

How many times have the re-paved, re-configured/changed Bristol? Why did they do that?...ya can't pass.

We all know you hate short tracks, but Bristol was ALWAYS one of the best tracks on the schedule, regardless of configuration. You can't deny that.

Fans didn't like the race because the top 5 was spread way out, which has never happened at Bristol and shouldn't happen at any short track. Blame the car and the lack of HP, blame the tires, but don't blame the track.

We all know you hate short tracks, but Bristol was ALWAYS one of the best tracks on the schedule, regardless of configuration. You can't deny that.

Fans didn't like the race because the top 5 was spread way out, which has never happened at Bristol and shouldn't happen at any short track. Blame the car and the lack of HP, blame the tires, but don't blame the track.
That is what short track lovers say lol. Name me one pavement short track series that is growing. They are losing tracks. Besides the East coast, those series are few and far between. It's the tracks. What is growing in leaps and bounds? Dirt short track racing.

That is what short track lovers say lol. Name me one pavement short track series that is growing. They are losing tracks. Besides the East coast, those series are few and far between. It's the tracks. What is growing in leaps and bounds? Dirt short track racing.
CARS Tour seems to be doing pretty well

CARS Tour seems to be doing pretty well
It wasn't that great until Harvick and JR decided to rescue it. Can't say it is thriving though. Look, those cars with the snow plow nose, low HP and super high down force are only built for small tracks. Even with that there is little passing, and they wreck out in the last laps trying to pass each other. If that floats your boat so be it.

You're digging deep man. It was boring race and the majority have spoken about that. Be happy your driver won. Be happy they dominated but the race was plain and simple a boring snoozefest and not just because Larson dominated. Because nothing much really happened at all. It was a 500 lap parade with very little passing. The good cars like Hamlin and Chase and others could get a few on restarts if they had position but that was really it. The tires just did not fall off enough. You can sugar coat it however you want and try to pry facts like that out but according the Gluck poll about 75% said the race was not good and that's the worst since he started doing these polls for Bristol including the so-so at best dirt races.. I am sure many of those are Larson fans too who are capable of being happy their driver won but at the same time acknowledging a stinker when they see one. If Chase had won (and let's be real he had a great night and drove maybe his best race of the year) I'd be saying the same EXACT thing. BORING. I am in process of talking with my Nephew right now as to if we really want to sink our money in Bristol nest year. Used to be you could not get a ticket to Bristol - now do you really want one is the question. I still may go just to say I saw it once like I plan to do with Indy as well but if I go it will be with zero expectations for a good race. You enjoy it though and keep seeing what you see. :)

"2,287 green flag passes for position in the race. The previous 3 Bristol fall races, 1,868, 2,690, 1,881.

There were also 785 Quality Passes, which are green flag passes of a car in the top 15"

I'm not seeing what I want to see. That's you my man.

But we can blame the broadcast for missing some of this.

With about 290 to go, we saw 4 cars racing for p2, we see Chase Elliott pass the 20, the 23 and the 11 during a 20 lap stretch.

The camera doesn't catch each pass, but the leaderboard does. And the data supports it.

I'm not disputing the race was boring. I'm disputing the inaccurate claim that there was no passing. There was. Loads of it.

"2,287 green flag passes for position in the race. The previous 3 Bristol fall races, 1,868, 2,690, 1,881.

There were also 785 Quality Passes, which are green flag passes of a car in the top 15"

With about 290 to go, we saw 4 cars racing for p2, we see Chase Elliott pass the 20, the 23 and the 11 during a 20 lap stretch.

The camera doesn't catch each pass, but the leaderboard does. And the data supports it.

I'm not disputing the race was boring. I'm disputing the inaccurate claim that there was no passing. There was. Loads of it.

We can add the broadcast picking up the 54 passing both the 48 and the 24 from lap 330-347.

"No passing"

Here's your polls and majority.
Bot-Farms.png

Gluck was whining about the race before it was halfway done. Nothing like the guy giving the pole to be queering the deal lol. Of course the herd followed. Baaa.
Regardless of him it's everywhere man. The majority thought the race sucked. It's really not even a debate.

Kyle…you can’t say THESE THINGS!!!!!

Right? Just stop defending it. It weas on full display how great you are which everyone seems to agree on. In looking through social media I saw 2 common themes. 1. The race sucked and was boring as hell.... 2...But man that Kyle Larson is something. Why can't he just shut up? It's such a bad look when he got out of the car and complained after the spring race and I believe I even said that he would not be complaining if a dominated a boring race and here we are. Read the room bro. LOL

LMAO!!! OK man. Me and the masses all saw a boring but you picked through and found the proof that it was not. Sure thing. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. I think that's best. https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2024/09...ristol-night-race-sucked-so-bad-were-baffled/

But...the issue is not that there was no tire wear in and of itself. While I agree that a tire with fall of would have helped but I say that understanding that solution is masking the bigger issue in that these cars just suck on short tracks. I think NASCAR can use tires as a short-term fix to try to make some races better but the long term is to go back to the drawing board with this lousy car. I should also be clear so I am not hurting the Larson wave's feelings too much here. Anything I am saying in no way is trying to take anything from Kyle. Dude rana great race and did what he was supposed to with what he had and all he can do is go out there and dominate and he should not have to defend that. Honestly I am not sure why he is even trying to. I'd be like "yeah....that must have been boring for the fans" and move on All this said though, Bristol has always been a place where Kyle shined - even when he was not in great equipment. So let's take that, and put him up front in great equipment with tires that don't wear much in cars that make it extremely difficult to pass. What did we think was going to happen really? LOL

You and the masses were shown the boring parts of the race. Some people base their opinion of a race on what TV shows, others use other criteria.
Fair...but I just don't understand what positive there was to pull out of that. There no comers and goers, there was no compelling strategy. Nothing like that. If you watched only the restarts and the next 10-15 laps you saw most of the race that mattered. I am not a fan who expects a lot of passing every race and love to see different strategies and how they play out but there was just nothing. Not trying to be a downer to anyone who did enjoy it though. To each their own.

You and the masses were shown the boring parts of the race. Some people base their opinion of a race on what TV shows, others use other criteria.
And there of those of us that could give a shiet If somebody is whining his ass off about a boring race. He sure as hell isn't going to convince me with the troll lol.

But...the issue is not that there was no tire wear in and of itself. While I agree that a tire with fall of would have helped but I say that understanding that solution is masking the bigger issue in that these cars just suck on short tracks. I think NASCAR can use tires as a short-term fix to try to make some races better but the long term is to go back to the drawing board with this lousy car. I should also be clear so I am not hurting the Larson wave's feelings too much here. Anything I am saying in no way is trying to take anything from Kyle. Dude rana great race and did what he was supposed to with what he had and all he can do is go out there and dominate and he should not have to defend that. Honestly I am not sure why he is even trying to. I'd be like "yeah....that must have been boring for the fans" and move on All this said though, Bristol has always been a place where Kyle shined - even when he was not in great equipment. So let's take that, and put him up front in great equipment with tires that don't wear much in cars that make it extremely difficult to pass. What did we think was going to happen really? LOL

I think the intensity has just been lost from the previous gen car on these tracks, folks forget we had a stretch with some of the best races of all time. The fall Martinsville 3 wide finish with Truex getting hit might be the best race I’ve ever seen. The car just needs more HP on these tracks and road courses.

Some yaw would probably help as well, folks forget you had basically a dualie fender on the left rear to push that air into the infield on a short ovals

I think the intensity has just been lost from the previous gen car on these tracks, folks forget we had a stretch with some of the best races of all time. The fall Martinsville 3 wide finish with Truex getting hit might be the best race I’ve ever seen. The car just needs more HP on these tracks and road courses.

Some yaw would probably help as well, folks forget you had basically a dualie fender on the left rear to push that air into the infield on a short ovals
Joey Logano paid the price for that move. The boo's he gets are well earned. The new car can do the same thing Joey did, but do the drivers want to take that risk? Hamlin with wrecking Elliott, and wrecking Larson gets boo'd louder than Logano.

Would a driver have problems with sponsorship if they moved/wrecked somebody to win?

I happen to believe that is part of the problem with short tracks. They are single groove bump/wreck and run is a popular way to pass, and fickle Nascar fans can turn on a dime from yea's to boo's on a driver.
Nascar needs a driver like Sr. that didn't give a sheet to make short tracks popular again.

Joey Logano paid the price for that move. The boo's he gets are well earned. The new car can do the same thing Joey did, but do the drivers want to take that risk? Hamlin with wrecking Elliott, and wrecking Larson gets boo'd louder than Logano.

Would a driver have problems with sponsorship if they moved/wrecked somebody to win?

I happen to believe that is part of the problem with short tracks. They are single groove bump/wreck and run is a popular way to pass, and fickle Nascar fans can turn on a dime from yea's to boo's on a driver.
Nascar needs a driver like Sr. that didn't give a sheet to make short tracks popular again.

You think Denny gives a damn? Haha that guy would right hook his mom for a title

NASCAR scheduled the Bristol races a week too soon. If they'd been this weekend, the weather freaks could have gone full ballistic. If it rains on next year's races, watch for the armchair meteorologists to say NASCAR should have waited a week.

Good points. I feel like as soon as NASCAR gets a car "dialed in" and figured out they move on to a new one. We really did see some great racing near the end of the last generation. I just remember cars could actually pass. One example to me of the difference is Chase at the Roval hitting the wall then passing the entire field to win. Last fall at the Roval Chase was doing great until he caught a horribly timed caution then he just could not go anywhere. They had his in car on Youtube and he got behind Bowman and just could not get a run to pass. I think a lot of it is the missing HP. We are almost 3 full years through this "new" car though and it only seems to be getting worse.

And there of those of us that could give a shiet If somebody is whining his ass off about a boring race. He sure as hell isn't going to convince me with the troll lol.
The problem though is that I am not whining - Just pointing out the obvious. We get it - you will defend it because Larson won. I am a big picture guy though and care more about the product then who wins. I really don't understand what's so hard about separating those things. Yeah I like seeing my guy do well but if it's a lousy race that's a problem to me.

You and your little crew are really just wasting your time trying to get to me. You never will. You can "laugh" at what I say and call it "trolling" all you want but thankfully I was warned about what a "troll" you can be as soon as I started hanging around here so I kind of knew what was coming and you do EXACTLY what I was told you would so you are nothing but predictable. . If you disagree with something that's cool but it'd be helpful if you make a point instead of just laughing or calling someone a troll. That just shows you have no real argument.

NASCAR scheduled the Bristol races a week too soon. If they'd been this weekend, the weather freaks could have gone full ballistic. If it rains on next year's races, watch for the armchair meteorologists to say NASCAR should have waited a week.
People do realize that no matter when a race is scheduled it might rain.....right? LOL Of all the complaints I can make about NASCAR that is just a joke.

The Vortex's created last week by the tires that don't give, messed up the air that has by now circulated it's way down to the Gulf.

Thatswhat created the hurricane that's ricocheting its way back up to the Appalachian's and fixing to commence to effing everything up.

We never had this problem when they ran the Bristol races during the last weekend of August like they supposed to just before the Darlington weekend.

As it stands the Daytona HQs is conveniently getting off Scotch-Free from the manufactured weather that will soon commence to
shidding on the Panhandle and the Appalachians instead. Big Bill would'nadda done this way.

Back
Top Bottom