Cup RACE thread --- COTA

KB 2nd in points, AD 25th

AD had people convinced that RCR had an equipment problem and that Reddick was a generational talent overcoming bad equipment. Kyle is disproving that narrative.

I give Austin credit for his behind the scenes work and getting Kyle to RCR but he’s holding RCR back on the track.

Feel for him. Even if he was pre-warned or knew what to expect, what can he really do? He's an outsider, can't really go sticking your nose in places or pushing regulars around during their season.
So is the problem drivers have no respect or he needs to know that's how it is?

To me the end of the race is a clear example of no respect

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I'm never surprised or spouting fake indignantcies about the lack of driver respect. I suppose most forget or haven't been around Nascar very long to hear Larry Mac, and DW from years ago saying cautions breed cautions. On top of that COTA was designed to make that so. 38 cars after a long straight at the start funnel into a hairpin corner. Then if you make it thru the corner and are on the inside, you will be on the outside the next corner. Never mind, the same bunch will be saying the same "no respect" tale at the first corner at the Indy road race this summer.

So is the problem drivers have no respect or he needs to know that's how it is?

To me the end of the race is a clear example of no respect

Oh I definitely think it's the latter. I also don't think the bodies on these cars help the matter either. All it's done is give these guys the freedom to battering ram their way to the front without worrying about messing up their own stuff.

Lots of frustration from Larson. Has been arguably the fastest car this year, 30th in points. Definitely driving like someone frustrated

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lots of frustration from Larson. Has been arguably the fastest car this year, 30th in points. Definitely driving like someone frustrated

Kind of funny tbh that even with the penalty Larson is still ahead of Almirola. Also kind of sad tbh I know the luck Almirola has had.
Also just noticed Chase Elliott is still ahead of Ty Dillon. :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL:

Not your finest hour my friend, tooling on Larson all race lol

It wasn’t all race tbh. I stopped, then Nitro, who I was replying to there said something to me, so I replied towards what he said. I don’t see what the problem is with that. Then SOI came along near the end seeming to blame Denny, so I pointed out how it was Larson who came across his nose. All race would mean I would’ve been talking about it all race, which I did not.

Kind of funny tbh that even with the penalty Larson is still ahead of Almirola. Also kind of sad tbh I know the luck Almirola has had.
Also just noticed Chase Elliott is still ahead of Ty Dillon. :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL:
Aric coming back was a huge mistake. Anyone that is going to retire no longer has their head in the game. Clearly he's doing this for money and that's it

The only luck he’s had so far this year is bad luck.

I was thinking.....Would folks hate it that at the end of races, one attempt at a GWC? Yellow ends it if it comes out and we save on the carnage that ensues sometimes at the end of these things.

It wasn’t all race tbh. I stopped, then Nitro, who I was replying to there said something to me, so I replied towards what he said. I don’t see what the problem is with that. Then SOI came along near the end seeming to blame Denny, so I pointed out how it was Larson who came across his nose. All race would mean I would’ve been talking about it all race, which I did not.
Sure seemed like it was all race.

I wonder what was going thru Larson's head with Wallace right after he got hit. Wallace Rambo'd him last year, got a big penalty for doing so and then out of nowhere Wallace rams him again at COTA.

I was thinking.....Would folks hate it that at the end of races, one attempt at a GWC? Yellow ends it if it comes out and we save on the carnage that ensues sometimes at the end of these things.
Just get rid of GWC at road courses, it's a good thing at ovals.

Overall, the COTA is tough and technical track ,I hope it stays on the schedule.

But they should find another place for restarts, somewhere just beyond that first corner hairpin (they should do the same at the Roval as well). It is just too much of a bottle neck for a Nascar restart. I don't like lowering the goal post. A good race or competition as a measurement should separate the weak from the strong. But I think unless you are one of the first few cars up front you are screwed beyond your control and skill set on a restart at the COTA. If they restarted at a little later, they could at least get a little more strung out before running over each other at that hairpin.

I also wish they would do a little more to make a quickie caution possible. They could deploy at least an additional pace car or two at different points on such a long circuit to pick up the lead car without having to return all the way to finish line first. They could also open up pit lane in many cases for the leader on his first pass and allow all cars to pit including lapped cars on the same leaders first pass before they have enough time to cluster bumper to bumper. That would allow for them to restage for a restart much sooner.

It was good seeing the 45 & 24 race each other with respect. I don't like the GWC anymore. I was cheering for both the 45 & 24, one of those guys deserved to win but the GWC shuffled one backward. One of the right guys won the race but there were too many chances for them to loose.

I liked that they skipped the stage cautions and let the teams choose race strategy.

Nobody forced anybody to watch the race. If I didn't like it, I would have gone and done something else. Whining accomplished nothing.

I wonder what was going thru Larson's head with Wallace right after he got hit. Wallace Rambo'd him last year, got a big penalty for doing so and then out of nowhere Wallace rams him again at COTA.
Is that the same race Wallace put his hands on Larson? Vegas?

Neither one was good, but I don't think this was as bad. I think Alex did the smart thing and just stopped
Suarez was clearly faster than Bowman. If Bowman doesn't slow down, he easily could've run over someone. That was dangerous.

I'm going to guess Suarez got a talking too by Nascar. Yeah it was dangerous, but Bowman stopped it from getting down pit road far enough to where the people were. Most of Suarez's antics were at the beginning road and the far entrance of pit road I thought. Eh, either way he was out of control in the wrong place. Suarez was hot, exhausted, and just got screwed. He needed a good finish so the pressure was on there also. I'm surprised there wasn't some fighting in the pits frankly, that was one of the most grueling races I have seen in awhile.

I'm going to guess Suarez got a talking too by Nascar. Yeah it was dangerous, but Bowman stopped it from getting down pit road far enough to where the people were. Most of Suarez's antics were at the beginning road and the far entrance of pit road I thought. Eh, either way he was out of control in the wrong place. Suarez was hot, exhausted, and just got screwed. He needed a good finish so the pressure was on there also. I'm surprised there wasn't some fighting in the pits frankly, that was one of the most grueling races I have seen in awhile.
I get that. Still, we wouldn't be giving him a pass had Bowman run over someone, & I think it was dangerously close to happening.

U should probably go back and reread the race thread! :)
I don’t have to, I was there. Maybe we just got a different meaning of “All race.” Because as I said right after it happened yeah, because it was being discussed and when Nitro mentioned Bubba in his interview yes, I was talking about it. Then I didn’t talk about it again until SOI posted the Denny video. Then at that point it was mainly me talking about how he dislikes Denny with me yes saying Larson cut across his nose. I don’t see how that’s “all race.” When I talked about loving road racing, the Chicago Street Course, all the yellows at the end, and hoping the race for the win stays clean.

Back
Top Bottom