Cup RACE thread --- Darlington

There was not this much crying when Ross Chastain (who also has a rough history) bulldozed his way through Allmendinger a few weeks ago.

My take on the situation is that Joey could've given the fans an epic finish. Instead, he bulldozed his way through the #24 & wrecked him. That's not what you want to see as a fan of the sport. I'm sure most drivers would agree that they would rather get the win without crashing the opposition. Joey was hungry for a win but that's not a good excuse to do what he did.

Byron had all the right to be upset. Getting a win in this series is hard, & he's a perfect example of that. I won't be upset when Logano gets payback.

Just got a chance to watch the race. I’m not necessarily a Logano fan but I’m glad he dumped the Hendrick run. Byron lifted and got run over.
Kez ended the 18s chances today.
Not the best Darlington race I’ve ever watched. 🫤

Don’t give Joey a reason to wall you. Once Byron squeezed him, accidental or not, Joey was looking for payback. That episode could have ruined Joey‘s day just as easily and I’m sure it pissed him off. Its not often you get squeezed into the wall by someone and you have to actually beat the same person on the last lap for the win. Feeling wronged, he paid it back. Oh well, if Byron enacts “payback” it will be fun to watch another war.

I wish fans could understand that "rubbin's racin" doesn't apply to every situation. There's a difference between a bump and a dump. There's a difference between being moved and being wrecked. There's a difference between an unintentional racing deal when a guy gets loose off corner and puts the squeeze on the outside car, and intentionally overdriving a corner to smack someone from behind and completely take them out of contention.

False equivalencies everywhere. Like everything in life, context ALWAYS matters. Nobody seems to understand "an eye for an eye" anymore. Some fans let their bias get in the way, some fans don't think things through, some fans just lack the intelligence. But we all see things different ways, and we're all entitled to our opinions, so it's all in good fun.

I'll just say this.....I know Logano was desperate for a win, I know he was pissed at Byron for the way he raced him on the restart. But Logano's lack of foresight will come back to bite him. I think there's a VERY good chance Byron returns the favor, and Logano better hope it isn't at a critical time late in the season.

I cannot believe Logano "has it coming".

Are you guys looking at this through "anti Logano" goggles?

Payback? Folks. The payback happened already. It was in turn 3.
Byron initiated the contact, and ran Logano on that restart in a way A LOT of champions would not have.

Fair game, it's racing. Byron made contact with Logano, gave him no room, and ran him into the wall. Sorry, but he doesn't get to decide if his racing warrants a pay back. This was a matter of one guy racing too hard, putting the leader in the wall, and then crying about it when it comes back to bite you.

Byron is coming off like a baby here. He ran Logano hard, slid up into him out of 4, Logano walled it

He had it coming. Not sure how it can be seen any differently. They're even now.

Come on guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I cannot believe Logano "has it coming".

Are you guys looking at this through "anti Logano" goggles?

Payback? Folks. The payback happened already. It was in turn 3.
Byron initiated the contact, and ran Logano on that restart in a way A LOT of champions would not have.

Fair game, it's racing. Byron made contact with Logano, gave him no room, and ran him into the wall. Sorry, but he doesn't get to decide if his racing warrants a pay back. This was a matter of one guy racing too hard, putting the leader in the wall, and then crying about it when it comes back to bite you.

Byron is coming off like a baby here. He ran Logano hard, slid up into him out of 4, Logano walled it

He had it coming. Not sure how it can be seen any differently. They're even now.

Come on guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the “anti-Logano” effect is strong. Doubt Logano’s intent was to hurt the 24s race to the extent it did but that is just a guess?

Reactions: Pat
Don’t give Joey a reason to wall you. Once Byron squeezed him, accidental or not, Joey was looking for payback. That episode could have ruined Joey‘s day just as easily and I’m sure it pissed him off. Its not often you get squeezed into the wall by someone and you have to actually beat the same person on the last lap for the win. Feeling wronged, he paid it back. Oh well, if Byron enacts “payback” it will be fun to watch another war.
Sounds like Joey needs some thicker skin. It's almost as if he learned nothing at Martinsville that day...

The detail most are missing here is that Willy tried to come off the wall and hook Joey's RR. He just missed...

"We barely touched".. that may be true but he also "barely touched the wall" too

Nice to finally see some logic in here in these last few posts though.
Are you saying William barely touched the wall after Joey drove through him? Fox showed William’s right side after the race....it was used up, his right rear tire was flat too.

No I'm saying at the same time Byron hit him in the left he also hit the wall with his right which made it twice as bad for Joey. If they had made contact but Joey didn't hit the wall I doubt Byron would have even got the lead at all.

In case anyone missed it, Byron hit the wall in 2 on the last lap. That's the hit that really cost him positions and how he wound up 13th.

I can't say whether Logano smacking him a half lap earlier caused damage that resulted in the turn 2 slap. I just noticed a few posts wondering how Byron wound up that far back.

Honestly I don't feel like Joey needed to do that.. but when he got out and said "your not gonna wall me and get away with it".. I understood.

Joey spent years letting people push him around.. and even longer NOT letting them.. people should know this by now.

..and for anyone saying he would whine if it happened to him or whatever.. you're flat out wrong.. he has on several occasions admitted he had it coming to him when something has happened. He'll be the first to say he made an aggressive move knowing he's putting himself in danger and accept whatever happens. If you don't see that you're not paying enough attention.

Sounds like Joey needs some thicker skin. It's almost as if he learned nothing at Martinsville that day...
I think His skin is plenty thick. He’s made no bones about it he‘s going to put the bumper to you for a win and expects the same. This time there was some emotion involved so he probably overdid it.

The detail most are missing here is that Willy tried to come off the wall and hook Joey's RR. He just missed...
I’ll have to look at it again but if so good on him. Another emotional move.

All day drivers were having trouble coming off turn 2. MRN quoted Harvick during the race as saying the back end would get loose coming off 2 where the new asphalt transitioned to the old stuff. Several spins happened in that area; I suspect it's why Brad spun almost immediately after the race started.

Now watch the video. At the 0:16 - 0:17 mark, when Byron comes off the new asphalt, the #24 jumps to the right and bumps Logano. I think Joey got his nose out of joint over something that had been happening all race. If I knew it was a problem in the stands, his team should have known and told him about it.

I think His skin is plenty thick. He’s made no bones about it he‘s going to put the bumper to you for a win and expects the same. This time there was some emotion involved so he probably overdid it.
Exactly this, I'm not a fan of the move, but Logano has stated this time and time again.

He's pretty transparent about his moves and possible retaliation after the fact.

All day drivers were having trouble coming off turn 2. MRN quoted Harvick during the race as saying the back end would get loose coming off 2 where the new asphalt transitioned to the old stuff. Several spins happened in that area; I suspect it's why Brad spun almost immediately after the race started.

Now watch the video. At the 0:16 - 0:17 mark, when Byron comes off the new asphalt, the #24 jumps to the right and bumps Logano. I think Joey got his nose out of joint over something that had been happening all race. If I knew it was a problem in the stands, his team should have known and told him about it.
Do you really think that would matter to Joey who had a shot at a win but it may have just got ruined if he had a tire possibly go down? Or to ANYONE else for that matter in the same position? And do you think a team would tell their driver that so he wouldn’t got try as hard for the win?
Not being a smartass, actually questions to think about. If there is someone (a winner) that wouldn’t have initiated “payback”, who would they be?

You can really see it from the bumper cam shot from the 22
I just looked at it and hard to tell. Could have just been an effort to get off the wall. Again, if he did and succeeded that would have been EPIC!

Exactly this, I'm not a fan of the move, but Logano has stated this time and time again.

He's pretty transparent about his moves and possible retaliation after the fact.
That’s even a better way to put it. And I agree.

Do you really think that would matter to Joey who had a shot at a win but it may have just got ruined if he had a tire possibly go down? Or to ANYONE else for that matter in the same position? And do you think a team would tell their driver that so he wouldn’t got try as hard for the win?
Not being a smartass, actually questions to think about. If there is someone (a winner) that wouldn’t have initiated “payback”, who would they be?
Blaney does come to mind. I doubt he would have punted Byron the way Joey did and would have still passed for the win. If not, holidays at the Blaney home would be a bit tense...for those that don't know Blaney's sister is with Byron.

Blaney does come to mind. I doubt he would have punted Byron the way Joey did and would have still passed for the win. If not, holidays at the Blaney home would be a bit tense...for those that don't know Blaney's sister is with Byron.
Lol…good point. Take the sister out of it….I don’t think Blaney is one to think it through and say ”oh he just washed up. It’s all good” and go about making a clean pass.

I'll get back with you in the other discussion.

What’s lost in all of this is how sexy, incredible, clean and popping the 24 throwback DuPont (Axalta) flames looked on the new car. I sort of wish that was the full time Axalta scheme, looks way better than what is on the 24 every week
6DAF0C58-FC15-48E5-B6F9-3EEE653BC0B5.jpeg

I think #24 had to know it was coming, he was a sitting duck that last lap. Perhaps Logano could have tapped him going a little slower but probably not have cleared him. Sr. would have a big smirk on his face watching the end of this one. The new normal?

Drivers now have to expect the
Bump, push, nub, rub, slam, dive bomb, Ka pow
Whatever you want to call it

If the driver behind you does not have a win
Expect it

I know the rules in the NASCAR rulebook are rather ephemeral, but where is it written that drivers have to be nice to each other on the track.
Racing is by its nature a rough and tumble sport.
The 24 got moved out of the way. Crap happens.
Earnhardt built a career doing that.
And not just on the last lap. And most everyone thinks he was great.

Earnhardt would move people to get a win. What Logano did was a bit more than just moving someone.

Earnhardt would absolutely take a dude out, even on Lap 2. I will say though, Logano should expect retribution fully

Back
Top Bottom