Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

If I go to a restrictor plate race, don't waste precious time waiting by the phone. You better be making sure you're in good with the deity of your choice, 'cause he, she, or they are about to drop the ultimate checkered flag (black and white, not green and white)..
next time you or anybody else checks the TV ratings, all of the restrictor plate races are at the top area of the list, don't have to like it, can bemoan it all ya want, but plenty are watching eyes glued to the tube. It is what it is, more people tune in to the possibility of an exciting race with a close finish and thrills and spills.

I'm not debating their popularity. If I was interested watching what's popular, I'd be watching soccer / futbol.

they aren't my favorite, but I like how the potential to shake up the leaderboard is interesting. Byron going from the lead to wrecked out of the race put me thru some changes. I think Byron is going to be an iceman like Pearson was when he gets a hold of the cup level. He never is on the radioactive whining about this or that, he just goes.

next time you or anybody else checks the TV ratings, all of the restrictor plate races are at the top area of the list, don't have to like it, can bemoan it all ya want, but plenty are watching eyes glued to the tube. It is what it is, more people tune in to the possibility of an exciting race with a close finish and thrills and spills.
Falesly generated crap, pretty much the Nascar mantra for the past 10 years.

I can't really understand going to a top-tier NASCAR race see a wreck. If that's what someone wants, there are plenty of demo derbys and figure-8 races all over the country, with more wrecks and cheaper tickets.

I certainly have no objections to some torn up sheet metal or the occasional slide on the roof. On the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy if all I saw were well-executed bump-and-runs. I pay to see green flag racing, not yellow flag clean-up.

I remember being in the Spotters stand at Charlotte years ago, before knockout qualifying, watching Ryan Newman run a lap wide open and sitting on the provisional pole then Dale Jarrett went out and held it wide open though 1 and 2 then tried the same thing in 3 and 4 but the car got out from under him and he spun hitting the wall drivers side first with the car going down the embankment in a shower of sparks and if I remember correctly it knocked him out and they couldnt reach him on the radio. The crowd stood and roared.This was back when Qualifying had probably 15-20 thousand in the stands. It physically made me sick, I couldnt believe what I was seeing and it still bothers me to this day that their are people out there like that.

I actually love most RP races. And not for the wrecks. Heck the big one might take my guy out.
Pack racing at 200MPH gets my adrenaline pumping.

While we’re at it, let’s stop talking about how safe stock car racing has become. Nobody wants to see the Flying Wallendas fall to their deaths from the high wire, but the knowledge that it could happen is what draws crowds and sells tickets. The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze isn’t so daring when he works with a net, and right now, NASCAR spends entirely too much time talking about the net.

And finally, it’s time for NASCAR to dramatically re-shuffle the cards and revamp its Monster Energy, Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series schedules. With the exception of the Eldora Truck race, most fans cannot remember the last time a new track was added to the agenda. And after a decade or more spent circulating through the same venues – year after year after year – stagnation has begun to set in.

The fans have spoken. They want fewer “rubber stamp” 1.5-mile ovals, and more short tracks. More road courses. More new, more exciting. Moving old races to new dates is not nearly enough to create a much-needed dose of excitement.
In order to give the paying customers what they want, it’s time for NASCAR to interject a three or four-race series of short track events into its MENCS schedule, returning legendary venues like Hickory, Nashville or Oxford Plains to the competitive calendar for the first time in decades. First-time venues like Myrtle Beach or Berlin would further sweeten the competitive pot.

Those races cannot happen without some major concessions by both NASCAR and its teams. In order to make Cup Series racing a reality at short tracks with limited seating, NASCAR must dramatically cut its sanction fee, eschewing profit – just a few times per season – in favor of excitement, drama and a dose of something new. Race teams must agree to race for a downsized purse – again, just a few times per season – choosing to do what’s best for the sport, instead of what’s best for their own bottom line.

http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2018/07/commentary-problems-and-solutions.html

I remember being in the Spotters stand at Charlotte years ago, before knockout qualifying, watching Ryan Newman run a lap wide open and sitting on the provisional pole then Dale Jarrett went out and held it wide open though 1 and 2 then tried the same thing in 3 and 4 but the car got out from under him and he spun hitting the wall drivers side first with the car going down the embankment in a shower of sparks and if I remember correctly it knocked him out and they couldnt reach him on the radio. The crowd stood and roared.This was back when Qualifying had probably 15-20 thousand in the stands. It physically made me sick, I couldnt believe what I was seeing and it still bothers me to this day that their are people out there like that.

People I think want to see a sense of danger in what they're seeing. The less danger there is, the more guys in auto racing might as well be drivng a Celica on the interstate. That in my opinion is different from wanting to see a wreck though. I've gone to the Indy 500 and sat at the entrance to turn 3 a number of times. After a restart, seeing the midfield come toward turn 3 will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up with the thought of "how can they possibly make it all through there?" The difference between that and Daytona/Talladega is they almost always do.

... it’s time for NASCAR to interject a three or four-race series of short track events into its MENCS schedule, returning legendary venues like Hickory, Nashville or Oxford Plains to the competitive calendar for the first time in decades. First-time venues like Myrtle Beach or Berlin would further sweeten the competitive pot.
And again I wonder if these tracks are interested in hosting Cup races, if the upgrades to their infrastructure are too costly for them to afford for one race a year.

And again I wonder if these tracks are interested in hosting Cup races, if the upgrades to their infrastructure are too costly for them to afford for one race a year.
as far as the racetrack goes, the cars IMO at those slower speed are more than safe enough, and compared to what runs at those tracks regularly much safer. Nascar cars are designed for crashes and speed of over 200 MPH and they would be hard pressed to average 90MPH at those tracks. Having to add more seating and more concessions at those small tracks? Ya think the track owner would have a problem with that?

... Having to add more seating and more concessions at those small tracks? Ya think the track owner would have a problem with that?
Depends on how they do the seating. Would they break even on the costs of temporary seating? Permanent seating is going to tie up equity, increase property taxes for some, add to year-round maintenance costs. There are reasons Myrtle Beach quit applying for Busch races, and sanctioning fees weren't the only ones. Does the track even have enough gates and entrances to get the crowd in? Are there enough exits to get it out in an emergency? Bathrooms? You can only get so many portas inside the fence. Adequate garage space for the cars and crew? Are the roads sufficient to get the traffic in and out? MB was a nightmare for the last couple of Busch races. How about parking, even with people renting out their front yards?

Yeah, I think some or all of those track owners would have some or all of these problems, to the point where they'd decide it wasn't worth the trouble, especially if they weren't sure they'd be on the schedule long-term.

I'm just asking the questions. For all I know, the suggested short tracks have plans on file to host a Cup race and update them annually, should they ever get the nod.

Every web pundit and his brother suggests going to historic short tracks. I've never read one of them who's asked the track operators if they think they could pull it off.

I'm just asking the questions. For all I know, the suggested short tracks have plans on file to host a Cup race and update them annually, should they ever get the nod.

Every web pundit and his brother suggests going to historic short tracks. I've never read one of them who's asked the track operators if they think they could pull it off.

I don't think the smaller track owners have enough room in their offices to fit all of Nascar's lawyers.

It's said that the truck race at Eldora is a losing proposition for all of the truck teams even the winner according to KDB

I hate wrecks. All of them. I have seen in person some extremely minor stuff. Stuff that wouldn't make a highlight reel, and it made me sick to my stomach. When those guys wreck, the fact that they are human--dads, husbands, sons--becomes very real. People who cheer for that stuff do not get my respect. Folks around here who joke about KB's wreck in Daytona bewilder me--I have to believe that they do not mean what they say, but I am working harder than I should to understand it.

I hate wrecks. All of them. I have seen in person some extremely minor stuff. Stuff that wouldn't make a highlight reel, and it made me sick to my stomach. When those guys wreck, the fact that they are human--dads, husbands, sons--becomes very real. People who cheer for that stuff do not get my respect. Folks around here who joke about KB's wreck in Daytona bewilder me--I have to believe that they do not mean what they say, but I am working harder than I should to understand it.
Never, no matter what issues I have with a driver would I make fun of something like happened to KB. He's lucky to be alive and I dont mean that as a catch phrase.

I watched the replay of Jarrett backing it into the wall at Charlotte twice. I didn't see anything pop up and say driver is knocked out, so if I was a fan there I would probably be one of the ones hollering, applauding the awesome effort, and it's something that happens when a driver steps over the fine line between making it and failure. Much better than watching a wheel holder that never comes close to the fine line.

I watched the replay of Jarrett backing it into the wall at Charlotte twice. I didn't see anything pop up and say driver is knocked out, so if I was a fan there I would probably be one of the ones hollering, applauding the awesome effort, and it's something that happens when a driver steps over the fine line between making it and failure. Much better than watching a wheel holder that never comes close to the fine line.
He didnt back in to the wall. Did you not see the video I posted? Its a tail slap. Left rear corner hits then slaps the rest of the left side against the wall. As far as him being lknocked out, I was there and thats what I recall, could be wrong but regardless it was a vicious hit and didnt deserve cheering.

Back
Top Bottom