Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

I don't really care weather you think it is accurate or not, I find it a decent comparison and that is all that matters to me.

Like 6k-8k people vote in that poll. That is way too small a pool of the entire nascar fanbase to judge by. Probability statistics 101

Regardless of size, his sample is screwed up and not representative of the viewer base as a whole. Obvious problems are that the majority of those who would participate in Jeff’s poll are twitter users (probably younger) and care enough to vote in a poll on NASCAR voluntarily (more passionate).

Regardless of size, his sample is screwed up and not representative of the viewer base as a whole. Obvious problems are that the majority of those who would participate in Jeff’s poll are twitter users (probably younger) and care enough to vote in a poll on NASCAR voluntarily (more passionate).
Bingo

69% of NASCARs fanbase is 18-54 years old. All within the window of using any type of social media. Facebook, twitter, Snap, Instagram. Plate racing is more popular with the base then it is unpopular by far.

69% of NASCARs fanbase is 18-54 years old. All within the window of using any type of social media. Facebook, twitter, Snap, Instagram. Plate racing is more popular with the base then it is unpopular by far.
For an average Cup race 18-49 viewership will fall between 20-25% of the total broadcast audience. Do you suggest that 45-50% fall into 50-54?

This poll is specifically on Twitter and according to Omnicore, 37% of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.

In no mathmatical way is Jeff’s twitter poll an accurate representation of the NASCAR fan base as a whole.

This is not up for interpretation or opinion, it’s mathmatical truth.

This poll is specifically on Twitter and according to Omnicore, 37% of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.
Still a reasonable demographic for the poll.

It's hard to disagree that plate racing is the favorite of "the base", but I do think some cracks are beginning to show there. I don't think it's favored as heavily as it once was. But it is still favored.

I think most regular NASCAR fans recognize the issues with plates, but I also think most love the close racing produced at Daytona and Talladega. If every large track used plates there might be a revolt, but those 4 races every year are like funnel cakes at the fair; enjoy it that day but don’t touch another one for a while

It's hard to disagree that plate racing is the favorite of "the base", but I do think some cracks are beginning to show there. I don't think it's favored as heavily as it once was. But it is still favored.

Daytona has always been NASCAR's most popular and famous venue, before and after restrictor plates. Talladega is arguably second, before and after plates. People always just say "plate racing" without that obvious context. I am really the only one old enough to remember that the Daytona and Talladega races were the biggest events of the year before 1988 as well? I was 9 then. I don't think so. A plate race anywhere else would not be as popular as a plate race at Daytona, because it is Daytona.

The significance and history of the track makes the biggest difference. Otherwise the supposedly terrible race everyone perennially wants to fix at IMS wouldn't attract one of the season's biggest audiences.

Reactions: Pat
Still a reasonable demographic for the poll.
It really isn’t.

60k people attended the Daytona race, even more watched on TV. If you surveyed 13% of the attending audience, it would be viewed as innacurate based on the same size.

Now take the number of TV viewers on the 2017 Homestead race of 4.6 million, which could be argued is a healthy estimate of the number of hardcore NASCAR fans total due to it being the championship deciding race.

The average number of people surveyed in the Twitter poll per race (8k) is .17% of the said total fanbase.

.17% is not a sample size reliable enough to conclude a final result.

Math.

It's not remotely representative of the NASCAR fanbase as a whole. Of course it isn't. It's an interesting survey of Jeff Gluck followers, of which I am one. I doubt Gluck himself would make such a claim.

Good God, we're debating this?

Daytona has always been NASCAR's most popular and famous venue, before and after restrictor plates. Talladega is arguably second, before and after plates. People always just say "plate racing" without that obvious context. A plate race anywhere else would not be as popular as a plate race at Daytona, because it is Daytona.

The significance and history of the track makes the biggest difference. Otherwise the supposedly terrible race everyone perennially wants to fix at IMS wouldn't attract one of the season's biggest audiences.
True, but after three decades of plates at those two tracks I don't think people would generally respond well if they were to take them off or run the Daytona road course or knock down the banking. I would have to be under the influence of something to enjoy last night's race, but if 75% of 10,000 fans diehard enough to vote in Twitter polls did than I can't chalk it up to anything other than substantially different philosophies on what a good race is like.

When the worst plate race in Gluck's poll (2018 spring Talladega) still rates higher than the Sonoma and Coke 600 races this year, I really just can't explain it any other way.

Somebody phone Pew. This quandary is in need of resolution.
I'm almost positive some sociology Ph.D. candidate has already applied for a government research grant to cover studying this for 4-6 years. After that, the current TV and track agreements will have expired, the results will be invalid, and he'll get another grant to start over.

doesn't for me, just shows how far off some people are. But surprised or indignant will pretty much sum it up. And everybody voted high at Chicagoland and what kind of race was that? a close finish race. That saved that track this year.

i really feel bad for the dead horse , there,s other channels on tv. and a on/off button.
i like first time winners,and its one for the kids.
bye now.

It really isn’t.

60k people attended the Daytona race, even more watched on TV. If you surveyed 13% of the attending audience, it would be viewed as innacurate based on the same size.

Now take the number of TV viewers on the 2017 Homestead race of 4.6 million, which could be argued is a healthy estimate of the number of hardcore NASCAR fans total due to it being the championship deciding race.

The average number of people surveyed in the Twitter poll per race (8k) is .17% of the said total fanbase.

.17% is not a sample size reliable enough to conclude a final result.

Math.
Let me tell you about Math, Plate races are the most watched an attended races of the year in person and on TV so thats the only poll I need to see. 60,000 isnt a bad number for a July race, I'm sure they had more than that and didnt count the infield The Firecracker never was well attended even back when they ran it at 10am.

This is what NASCAR calls "GREAT RACING"!!! It looks more like a parade mixed in with a demolition derby, year after year after year with "NO" changes in sight. Many years ago NASCAR was told by several drivers and teams that a better and safer way to slow down the super speedways was to simply reduce traction by reducing tire width and forcing drivers to slow down in the corners like most other tracks and use driving skill to control their cars. No more restrictor plates, no more parades and less chance of huge dangerous crashes. HOW SAD!!!!

3. Allmendinger, 23rd in points
4. Kahne, 26th in points
5. Buescher, 24th in points
6. Ty Dillon, 29th in points
7. DiBenedetto, 30th in points
11. Jeffrey Earnhardt, 36th in points on a partial schedule, one of the worst cars in the field
12. Gaughan, 38th in points on a partial schedule
13. Kennington, 35th in points on a partial schedule
14. Bubba Wallace, 25th in points
15. Ragan, 27th in points
16. Ray Black Jr., one of the worst cars in the field
18. J.J. Yeley, one of the worst cars in the field

If you're a guy in the top 20 in points, why would you run in the pack? It's not like you're going to go a lap down. This crop of drivers has shown time and time again they are not talented enough to go without a big crash.
True, but after three decades of plates at those two tracks I don't think people would generally respond well if they were to take them off or run the Daytona road course or knock down the banking.
Allright, we'll just wait for someone to die again.
When the worst plate race in Gluck's poll (2018 spring Talladega) still rates higher than the Sonoma and Coke 600 races this year, I really just can't explain it any other way.
The Coke 600 was not the greatest race to be fair.

Frankly, I consider online polling in most everything to be irrelevant.

I generally like plate racing. This race, however, was embarrassingly bad. There have been bad ones through the years, but I don't remember (although I could be wrong) seeing as many multi-car crashes as we saw Saturday night.Yeah, good for Jones to pick up the win, but there were so few undamaged cars left that it almost deserves an asterisk by the win.

They did that too back in the day and drivers would die often
Keep in mind Spotter...this was a very morbid fascination that drew fans in. That possibility is what got the adrenalin going. Then a race would break out.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.‏Verified account @DaleJr
Not tryin to be a vulture in hard times but the race car graveyard is always happy to take any cars from last nights race that are beyond repair. See me or Sonny or just leave it at the gate. Thanks

Leave it at the gate..
rofl.gif

14. Bubba Wallace, 25th in points

If you're a guy in the top 20 in points, why would you run in the pack? It's not like you're going to go a lap down. This crop of drivers has shown time and time again they are not talented enough to go without a big crash.
While he only has three plate races on his record, Bubba's finished all of them, 562 of 563 laps, average finish 10.7, four spots ahead of where he started. No brain farts on his part (yet).
Frankly, I consider online polling in most everything to be irrelevant.
Ditto.

While he only has three plate races on his record, Bubba's finished all of them, 562 of 563 laps, average finish 10.7, four spots ahead of where he started. No brain farts on his part (yet).

Ditto.

I meant the field en masse being the crop of drivers, not just the guys I listed. The guys I listed it was to show how guys in the back half of the grid can run at 95% power of the big dogs and can still finish well after big dogs all wreck. Seriously, why do these teams spend any money on these cars and engines for Daytona and Talladega? Just put out a junk car, spend no extra money on the engine. If you crash, so what, you spent little money on the car and engine, if you don't, chances are you'll finish 10th and actually gain points on all your rivals. Jeffrey Earnhardt and Gray Gaulding each have more points at restrictor plate races this year than Brad Keselowski, and Keselowski has ran 1 more race than either of them.

Keep in mind Spotter...this was a very morbid fascination that drew fans in. That possibility is what got the adrenalin going. Then a race would break out.
It still does, I just hope no one goes to see someone die now or back then. I understand going to see a wreck, its frightening and exciting. Its a wow moment.

No doubt there are some who regard racing as a daredevil show where death and despair lurk around every corner. They lament the advances in safety technology that have rendered modern motor racing too boring because not enough death is on display. Some of these people even post about it here on racing-forums.com.

Those of us who love racing say "Good-bye and good riddance" to those other guys... "You were here for the wrong reasons. You will not be missed. The real racers will gladly make do without your numbers and your dollars."

and by the same token, there are those that bemoan the plate that has been around for over thirty years, can't stand the thing, but out of the other side of their mouths they brag about advances in technology.

No doubt there are some who regard racing as a daredevil show where death and despair lurk around every corner. They lament the advances in safety technology that have rendered modern motor racing too boring because not enough death is on display. Some of these people even post about it here on racing-forums.com.

Those of us who love racing say "Good-bye and good riddance" to those other guys... "You were here for the wrong reasons. You will not be missed. The real racers will gladly make do without your numbers and your dollars."
Well said Lew, well said my friend.

It still does, I just hope no one goes to see someone die now or back then. I understand going to see a wreck, its frightening and exciting. Its a wow moment.
I can't really understand going to a top-tier NASCAR race see a wreck. If that's what someone wants, there are plenty of demo derbys and figure-8 races all over the country, with more wrecks and cheaper tickets.

I certainly have no objections to some torn up sheet metal or the occasional slide on the roof. On the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy if all I saw were well-executed bump-and-runs. I pay to see green flag racing, not yellow flag clean-up.

you go to a restrictor plate race and don't see a wreck call me will ya. Most of the posters around here watch them so they can moan about the wrecks..like duh

you go to a restrictor plate race and don't see a wreck call me will ya.
If I go to a restrictor plate race, don't waste precious time waiting by the phone. You better be making sure you're in good with the deity of your choice, 'cause he, she, or they are about to drop the ultimate checkered flag (black and white, not green and white)..

Back
Top Bottom