Cup RACE thread --- Gateway 2024

But its not a rule or a gimmick
Well maybe we disagree with what "gimmick" means but what I am saying is that this playoff format overall that puts such a premium on winning is meant to attract fans but in most cases the fans who are attracted by it are not true fans that have any attention span or appreciation for the sport. They don't understand that guys like Justin Hayley will catch a well-timed shower and get a win or Chris B will win a race that's "fogged" out (I was at that race) or other drivers that have no real chance of competing and they may be getting in over teams that do have an outside shot. Winning is not everything and it should not be measured as such. It's a great thing that maybe deserves some extra points but not what it gets now in a "virtual" playoff lock. I tried to enjoy this format for what it is but I'd love to see the old format again.

Hopefully Chicago will be dry race weekend so we can get a realistic look on the turnout. I think there will be massive crowds. I read an article on people who lived in Chicago that hated the race being there but they ventured out and thought it was the coolest thing they ever heard or saw and that was with all of the problems.

Hopefully Chicago will be dry race weekend so we can get a realistic look on the turnout. I think there will be massive crowds. I read an article on people who lived in Chicago that hated the race being there but they ventured out and thought it was the coolest thing they ever heard or saw and that was with all of the problems.

As long as you don't live or work in the areas that were closed off for the race, it was, and will be, all good.

I bailed out on the Chicago race last year expecting it to get postponed 'till the next day but looking forward to this year's extravaganza.

Its not win and you're in. It just gives you a cushion over those who haven't won.
The fact that Cindric and Suarez are 99% assured of making the playoffs makes it a de-facto rule because there is literally no chance in hell they were going to make it otherwise. Several top 20 teams have as much as admitted that their ONLY shot to make the playoffs is to win a race, so what does that tell you? Having a caveat that is as likely as a purple three legged unicorn running down pit road during a solar eclipse basically makes it a rule, and it absolutely IS a gimmick to give teams that couldn't hit water if they fell out of boat an avenue to the playoffs. I 100% agree with making wins more valuable, but they should never be a get out of jail card to erase 25 weeks of mediocrity or worse.

I 100% agree with making wins more valuable,
And awarding more points for the win is the way this should have been done. Someone who wins both stages and comes in second gets ... 59 point, I think. Race winner should get more than that regardless of stage finishes. 75 would be a good number for a win.

And awarding more points for the win is the way this should have been done. Someone who wins both stages and comes in second gets ... 59 point, I think. Race winner should get more than that regardless of stage finishes. 75 would be a good number for a win.
Agree 100%. A win should help compensate for some lesser finishes, not make your results in 24 other races irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom