Cup RACE thread --- Richmond

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by TexasRaceLady, Apr 13, 2019.

1. mack

mack Team Owner

I hear ya man. But, that was one outstanding short track race. Kudos to NASCAR!!! They get dumped on all the time. They deserve a thunderous round of applause for that show!!!!

2. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

I'm with you in spirit about the aero package. Would sure be a lot more to my taste with last year's downforce levels. Still a very intense battle between the top three at the end. Dale Jr. says a lot of stuff that makes sense and then an equal amount of stuff that doesn't or contradicts it. I don't think he quite knows what he wants, but he's fun to listen to.

3. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yep margin of victory was 178 thousands of a second compared to three quarters of a second last year with a couple of cars for most of the last quarter of the last stage fighting for the win. It keeps getting better.

ToyYoda likes this.
  4. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I love his podcast but you’re right. Sometimes he finds himself caught between analyst/network Dale and driver/authentic Dale. He kind of goes back and forth on some stuff but Davis walks him back.

Dr_B_UNC, FLRacingFan and gnomesayin like this.
  5. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Oh I’m not taking anything away from the drivers. They are all elite, race as hard as they can with what they are givin and know exactly what to do to get the best result. My gripes are rarely ever with the drivers.

Turtle84, gnomesayin and FLRacingFan like this.
  6. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Why did he get mired behind the 19? Oh I know! He couldnt pass him. Also he never "Tracked anyone down from a half straight away back" it was 2 seconds and that was going through traffic. You watch a different race then the other 5 million people do, thats for damn sure.

7. ChexOrWrex

“Why was he mired behind him? Because he couldn’t pass!” is a statement is absolutely zero critical thought. Which is par for the course.

8. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

and Dale Jr said..I had to laugh a bit at that or any driver saying it's hard to pass for that matter. It's a good excuse, works sometimes, but the stats don't lie.

Spotter22 likes this.
  9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Some of the same ones were saying that this year teams like Chastain's would be able to run up front.

10. Snappy D

This is just....bad. They are in trouble. What do they need, how do they fix it??

11. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

hmmmm, critical thought. Lets see, hmmmmm......... Oh i know! The other car was faster! hmmmm, why was he faster? Im gonna go with speed and handling. What you got ?

12. ChexOrWrex

Enough money to buy JGR engineers.

Snappy D likes this.
  13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

besides Elliott having loose lug nuts and having to come back in, the Hendrick cars ran penalty free. and didn't have speed.

Spotter22 and Snappy D like this.
  14. Snappy D

They are just so behind the others right now, never thought I’d see Hendrick fall so far behind. They’ve always been at the front. I have zero idea how they recover and get back there, I have ideas but I’m only a fan. I’d like to see what they are doing, the questions they are asking, what they think is wrong and how they are going about fixing it.

15. Turtle84

Turtle84 Chastain Supporter

Dude has a serious point, lots of aeroage out there.

gnomesayin likes this.
  16. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

the dude hasn't watched many short track races. Ol single lane Bristol comes to mind, and on the same Richmond track is where Sr put DW into the fence and wiped them both out..It's shown numerous times on high light shows

Spotter22 and Snappy D like this.
  17. Snappy D

I agree in a way that the short track races I watched and always liked where it was hard to pass. Old Bristol was a one groove track where it was hard to pass a guy for laps at a time, I felt tonight was like that in a way whether it was aero or just back to running at night but I’m not complaining tonight at least. Found the racing awesome, hope there’s more of that.

18. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Pretty much all racing does anymore.

As for Hendrick I think it’s less team and more manufacturer. Heck I’m a NASCAR loving guy from Toledo Ohio just a stones throw from Detroit, yet there’s a reason I wanted to be an engineer for Honda and Toyota.

Quite simply GM is behind the times and it shows. Why do you think Chrysler is handing out massive bonuses while GM is rolling with major layoffs? TRD and Ford Performance are handing it to Chevrolet Motorsports, and Honda is rolling in Indy as well

19. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Dale Jr say :D

20. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

21. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

22. Turtle84

Yikes. What does single lane Bristol have to do with the aerowake we saw tonight? Great race with what we're saddled with for this year. But, man the defenders of "the package" are in straight denial. It's nothing even close to the old school' racing we used to see.

23. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

155 green flag laps at the end and a finish within 1 second! In the words of one of our own from here at racing -forums .com "do you really get excited about Richmond?" lol

24. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

What "aero wake" ? Seriously what race did you watch and please go back ANY year since racing began and show me the differnce. I've been watching/doing it since 1974. Todays racing is miles better. Aero push is an excuse for getting your ass whipped.

Revman likes this.
  25. Turtle84

If you didn't see "aero wake", I would need to question which race you watched as well.

26. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

e yeah buddy, 4 cars after 155 laps within a second of each other tonight with an epic battle the closing laps compared to one car finishing 3/4's of a second ahead of second last year. Gimmie more aero wake whatever that is. :p

27. Turtle84

Yeehaw. I rated it a 10. Doesn't change the amount of aero involved on a short track.

#PackageDenial

28. Snappy D

AeroWake sounds like a band name. It should be the official band of Racing-Forums

Turtle84 and StandOnIt like this.
  29. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner Contributor

If NASCAR gives you "Aero-push" -- then you have an obligation to your Team to use "Bumper-push", especially on a short track

Bowyer should've moved MTJ and Logano should've moved Brad -- stop complaining and get to work on those bumpers and quarter-panels (sometimes doors :D)...

rd45usa and StandOnIt like this.
  30. Switchback

Switchback Team Owner

I thought it was a great race but let's be honest. The only reason the 22 and 4 got pulled into that battle was cause the 19 slowed down that badly and the 14 couldn't get by. Had Clint been able to clear him, he would of been long gone and the margin of victory would likely been measured in seconds.
    As far as why he couldn't get by, I'll let you guys who love arguing this stuff take care of that.:D

Turtle84 likes this.
  31. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

Truex earned the win. There was plenty of good racing throughout the field.

acmerocket and Turtle84 like this.
  32. Mark

Mark Spectator

Second straight top 10 for Menard. Normally, nothing to write home about but he's moved up 5 positions in the standings and he normally sucks at RIR.

Kiante, Ventisca and StandOnIt like this.
  33. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

same thing happened the day before. Faster car couldn't pass the leader numerous times.

34. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Proud member of Rowdy Nation Contributor

I seem to remember someone last week suggesting that Truex " is worthless " :lol2: and that Bell should get his ride :rolleyes:. Martin drove a fine race imo

acmerocket likes this.
  35. Turtle84

I am actually really happy that MTJ won this thing, and finally closed the deal at this place. I was praying for it to stay green the whole way through since he's lost on late yellows so many times over the years. A lot of pressure must be lifted off of his back for this season with new team on Gibbs. Great race and result, rememberable.

Truex_rox and Ventisca like this.
  36. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Truex won it fair and square. Boyer and Logano delivered a one two punch and he was still standing at the end. Boyer tried until he used up his stuff and Logano came along next and he couldn't get done either. Honorable mention to Harvick's try, they were too little too late. Good race I thought after the pay window opened, the fast ones came to the front and a good battle to watch.

LewTheShoe and Turtle84 like this.
  37. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner Contributor

I hope Erik Jones remembers when Holy Joe came for Denny's pit box last year

do he's not caught off guard...

38. ChexOrWrex

I asked “who actually gets excited for richmond” and it was a question that many answered positively. Good.

39. Madman88

Madman88 Crew Chief

Yea, god forbid you have a rules package that allows for cars to go from good to bad over a particular run so you have cars coming and going based on more than just where they came out of the pits and are now in dirty error. tire wear, setups, what are those again???

He makes no mention of passing, drivers making great moves, or anything performance related. Let's just focus on how many cars are as close as possible at the end of the race because if they are all in the TV frame at the end of the race it must have been a good race, right???

Better idea, let's just make the rules so that no cars can run faster than a certain posted lap time. If you exceed this lap time your engine will loose a cylinder for the next lap so you are punished for going to fast. After that lap your engine will be restored to full working capacity unless you exceed the posted lap time again. If you do, the next lap the cylinder will be down again.

40. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Every bit of that happened Saturday night. You guys are overeacting. Richmond had basically 3 grooves to run, I watched cars come from the 20's in to the top 10, why? They were faster, when they got to the top 10 things got tougher, why? Those guys are fast also and its gonna be tougher to pass. The racing was fantastic.