Cup RACE thread -- Richmond

It was pretty obvious that on a short track where aero doesn't give them the biggest gain, all of preacher's cars were out cornering everybody and were having their own race between them that something was up

New rules. OSS. Pre/post race inspections. DQ's.....and it still isn't enough. SMDH. You just need Toyota to lose, and right now, that ain't happening. Hell, NASCAR even through you the DQ bone on EJ, and you still aren't happy. What about the jet fuel in the manifold? Could be, right? That would explain everything.

Not to mention Truex is and has been one of the best technical road course driver's in Cup, combine that with his 2017 beatdown on the field in a low downforce package. Any doubt on his talent has been erased.

Has nothing to do with Carl (even though the car was different) or any other driver. But of course there's a personal agenda against Truex/personal bias, whatever you want to call it. He represents everything I dislike about the current package, and is the target of my frustration.

just never thought Truex was that good relative to the best, and don't enjoy seeing a driver, who in my mind has always been an above average/below star level driver dominate given the package and circumstance.

It was cool to see him get so excited in victory lane. Maybe ill have a change of heart some day. FWIW, it isn't inherently personal. if it was Bowyer, Stenhouse, Dillon, Suarez, Menard etc in this exact situation, I would feel exactly the same about any of them.

I hate this package and I think it produces the worst and least driver influenced racing I have ever seen since I've watched NASCAR. Perhaps it's not fair to redirect that frustration towards Truex. I'll be better with that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Why is Martin Truex Jr not that good relative to the best? Did you realize since 2016 he has more wins than any other driver with 22. Kyle Busch has 21 and Kevin Harvick has 17 in the same time frame. What would make him good? He won a championship under a drastically different package and looks set to win another one with the current package.

Of course it's all Cole Pearn! Anybody that doubts what Martin Truex Jr. has accomplished throughout his racing career has their head stuck in the sand. He has more wins than Logano, Bobby Labonte, and Ricky Rudd. He has more championships than Kyle Busch (beat him twice), Logano, Jarrett, Harvick, Kezelowski, Bill Elliott, Rusty Wallace etc..., when you combine the two top levels of racing.

Cheating Joe got away with what he wanted --

let NASCAR find something to save face...

One little wiggle on a restart and four cars come out of the turn smoking with tire rubs. Smartly done by NASCAR, as always. How about you cut the fender flares off for the Gen 7, appreciate it.

Just mount Ben Hur-style chariot wheels and get it over with.
upload_2019-9-23_19-12-48.jpeg

How is that Nascar's fault?

Is that your default response to any NASCAR related criticism? A little objectivity would go a long way and you're smart enough to answer that question yourself. I'll ask you a something similar. How isn't it NASCAR's fault? The cut tires and rubs are out of control and adversely affecting the racing. Teams won't cut the fender flares off themselves so it's the sanctioning bodies' responsibility to remedy the problem. Not to mention the safety implications of having adequate tire clearance. This is all moot if you don't agree there is a problem, of course.

Sounds like Austin was acting on Grandpappy's orders and didn't think the retaliation was necessary.

“He just races dumb, but it’s Richmond. It’s hard to race not dumb here sometimes,” Bowman said. “I don’t know. He drove me all the way to the inside wall on the restart and then drove off into (turn) three and just cleaned us out, so frustrating, but that’s short-track racing and you’ll have it.”

Dillon quickly vacated the .75-mile track post-race, but crew chief Danny Stockman Jr. said that team owner Richard Childress had recently urged his driver and grandson to take no guff.

“I don’t know where he was going on that restart and he chopped us, got in our left-rear and caught our left-rear tire there,” Stockman told NASCAR.com. “To be quite honest, I know RC’s been getting on Austin about retaliating with these guys. He ain’t gonna get pushed around. It’s as simple as it was way too early in the race to try to be chopping us in the left-rear and we should’ve wrecked. We just can’t be dealing with that stuff.”

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...playoff-bubble-heat-after-richmond-struggles/

The Pop Pop Chop-Block will not be pushed around.

Is that your default response to any NASCAR related criticism? A little objectivity would go a long way and you're smart enough to answer that question yourself. I'll ask you a something similar. How isn't it NASCAR's fault? The cut tires and rubs are out of control and adversely affecting the racing. Teams won't cut the fender flares off themselves so it's the sanctioning bodies' responsibility to remedy the problem. Not to mention the safety implications of having adequate tire clearance. This is all moot if you don't agree there is a problem, of course.

well , last time I looked drivers are still driving the cars not Nascar. Drivers who drive in Nascar have been running into themselves every since the first race years ago and whatever car rules package they have. Maybe you would be better served watching a demo derby and blaming the track for not enough wrecks?

well, last time I looked drivers are still driving the cars not Nascar. Drivers who drive in Nascar have been running into themselves every since the first race years ago and whatever car rules package they have. Maybe you would be better served watching a demo derby and blaming the track for not enough wrecks?

They could run into each other and even ride the wall at Darlington without cutting tires in the past, although cut tires have always been part of it. Nowadays the slightest touch presses the flare down onto the tire causing a flat. At the end of the day we're stuck with the lame duck Gen 6 and I've accepted that NASCAR isn't changing it now. Eagerly awaiting the Gen 7 and 18 inch rims. Maybe the smaller side walls will be more durable.

Speaking of demolition derbies, we'll both be watching one this weekend at Charlotte.

and you use last years turn one Roval for an example? Less cautions this year than previous years despite having a couple that are manditory.

and you use last years turn one Roval for an example? Less cautions this year than previous years despite having a couple that are manditory.

I believe it. I'd be surprised if they had more cautions this year with 200 less horsepower and a bug shield off an '86 Silverado as a spoiler. Coke or Pepsi, what's your preference?

Sorry I thought ya had an opinion as to why it was Nascar's fault drivers were wrecking their cars. Never mind.

“To be quite honest, I know RC’s been getting on Austin about retaliating with these guys. He ain’t gonna get pushed around.”
Richard still 100% believes that Dale never spun Terry at Bristol either.

Richard is as ignorant as he is stupid.

They could run into each other and even ride the wall at Darlington without cutting tires in the past, although cut tires have always been part of it. Nowadays the slightest touch presses the flare down onto the tire causing a flat. At the end of the day we're stuck with the lame duck Gen 6 and I've accepted that NASCAR isn't changing it now. Eagerly awaiting the Gen 7 and 18 inch rims. Maybe the smaller side walls will be more durable.

You do bring up a great point about tires. It is about safety -- and tires going down, blowing, coming apart, etc. creating hits and wrecks. Unfortunately, it also drives a lot of drama on track. I'll let others draw their own conclusions why it hasn't been more effectively addressed.

Speaking of demolition derbies, we'll both be watching one this weekend at Charlotte.

I find it interesting how the "talentless" Truex made that turn while the "pure talent" 18 driver plus the 2 and 42 drivers couldn't. Then at the end of the race that no talent Truex was gonna make the turn again and win till the 7 time champ wiped them both out. Never mind, I guess that was all Pearn…...

I find it interesting how the "talentless" Truex made that turn while the "pure talent" 18 driver plus the 2 and 42 drivers couldn't. Then at the end of the race that no talent Truex was gonna make the turn again and win till the 7 time champ wiped them both out. Never mind, I guess that was all Pearn…...

Hmmm, Pearn could only hand MTJ a winning car that could turn; but not even Pearn could overcome how MTJ raced Jimmie.

Perspectives I guess...

I don't think at this point anybody is calling Truex talent less unless they had their heads stuck in the sand. :idunno:. As far as just road courses recently, Truex has won both Sonoma's, runner up the last two Watkins Glenn, and he had last years Roval in the bag until Johnson wrecked him. I say that because on road courses the Driver hands down has more influence on a win than on an oval.

Hmmm, Pearn could only hand MTJ a winning car that could turn; but not even Pearn could overcome how MTJ raced Jimmie.

Perspectives I guess...
"How MTJ raced Jimmie"...

I recall no issues between these two other than the post-race flair up. Those are two of the cleanest drivers we are speaking on.

Richard Childress had recently urged his driver and grandson to take no guff.

“I don’t know where he was going on that restart and he chopped us, got in our left-rear and caught our left-rear tire there,” Stockman told NASCAR.com. “To be quite honest, I know RC’s been getting on Austin about retaliating with these guys. He ain’t gonna get pushed around. It’s as simple as it was way too early in the race to try to be chopping us in the left-rear and we should’ve wrecked. We just can’t be dealing with that stuff.”

Pop Pop making damn sure that boy ain't gonna get pushed around by anyone but him.

Bowman wanted room and took it -- got bit by AD in the NASCAR tradition.

Radio insults and tribal chatter just makes it that much more entertaining.

Play On!

Different crew chief and different driver, or to sum up in one word...experience.:)
I think it's worth noting that he still had a top-five car and probably could have ran third if he had the track position.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I don't think at this point anybody is calling Truex talent less unless they had their heads stuck in the sand. :idunno:.
True. But sadly, there are jealous fanbois here and elsewhere who say Truex is an average driver blessed by a magic crew chief who actually wins all those races. It is as ludicrous as saying Chad Knaus is the reason Jimmie Johnson won 83 races and seven championships. Like you said, heads (deliberately) stuck in the sand.

As far as just road courses recently, Truex has won both Sonoma's, runner up the last two Watkins Glenn, and he had last years Roval in the bag until Johnson wrecked him. I say that because on road courses the Driver hands down has more influence on a win than on an oval.
What you say is correct this year, with fast ovals having anemic horsepower and tons of both downforce and drag... but it was *not true* in the low downforce era... and was *not true* throughout Nascar's history (restrictor plate races excepted). One of Nascar's unique attributes has long been the very wide disparity between the performance of teammates driving comparable equipment. You don't find such wide disparity in any major roadracing series (except in MotoGP).

The best drivers win the most races... on ovals and on road courses. And as you point out, Truex is an elite driver on both (and has been for ~5 years... no fluke).

Back
Top Bottom