Cup RACE thread --- Sonoma

Truex dominates for the win

1686522747785.png

I just don’t understand why some people want to go back to the days of people winning by multiple laps.

I don't think anyone wants to go back to that. But I think a lot of people are tired of NASCAR always trying to make things more "exciting." Sometimes it's nice to see the race get settled into a long green flag run and see who's better at taking care of their tires and equipment and the different pit strategy.

I don't think anyone wants to go back to that. But I think a lot of people are tired of NASCAR always trying to make things more "exciting." Sometimes it's nice to see the race get settled into a long green flag run and see who's better at taking care of their tires and equipment and the different pit strategy.
I’ve seen people want to go back to the years those were taking place. I don’t think they realized it when they said it, but yeah. I would honestly not be shocked though

Honestly how much is the car and how much is the tires? To me it’s tires that are the equivalent of Hard tires in F1 as the standard. Look how well Chase and Ryan are hanging in with old tires, that used to never happen
It’s the wide tires and giant brakes. Covers for mistakes, especially on roadies. Chase’s advantage used to be braking. He’d eat you alive in braking zone. Now everyone brakes as well as him with this package.

It’s the wide tires and giant brakes. Covers for mistakes, especially on roadies. Chase’s advantage used to be braking. He’d eat you alive in braking zone. Now everyone brakes as well as him with this package.

Well the brakes were going to be changed sooner or later. The old brakes did not last for an entire road course race. Although I will agree that they need to make the tires narrow again, but I don't see Goodyear going for that.

Going to miss Clint, I really enjoy him idc what anyone says.
I've never gotten the Clint dislikers. The guy drives cleaner than some, doesn't make an ass of himself when he has problems, doesn't push the blame off on his crew. To listen to some, you'd think he raised Dalmatian puppies for coats or sold orphans into slavery. Yeah, many of his races have been total domination, but that's not his fault.

In Gen 6, everyone ran the same brake packages. Chase Elliott had a feel / skill advantage.

Gen 7‘s larger brakes are common to all the teams. What’s the reason for his decline?

I don’t believe RCR is a top tier team anymore. They have a lot of work to do. Kyle is a great talent and that’s why they had a solid finish today and why they have 3 wins this season.
I hope those guys get faster as the year closes.

But I’m excited for Dale Jr, Jeff Burton, and the rest of the amazing crew at NBC.
Man I like Clint but he’s a gimmick in the booth. There are better options but they may not be available.
I’d like to see dinosaur 🦕 Larry retire.
I expect not everyone is going to agree.

A race to me is green flag laps not constant re-racking for multiple cautions. If a car can't keep up tough sheit he shouldn't be spared by a series of cautions that allows him to adjust.
If I wanted to see someone win by a lot, id watch F1. I wanna see good close racing with passing. Idk.

Man I like Clint but he’s a gimmick in the booth. There are better options but they may not be available.
I’d like to see dinosaur 🦕 Larry retire.
I expect not everyone is going to agree.

I would like to have a serious expert in the booth, maybe an ex-crew chief or car chief who can give a little insight into the dynamic of the chassis as the race progresses.

I don’t believe RCR is a top tier team anymore. They have a lot of work to do. Kyle is a great talent and that’s why they had a solid finish today and why they have 3 wins this season.
I hope those guys get faster as the year closes.

My brother in Christ, Kyle Busch has 3 wins this year. You simply can't parrot the "RCR isn't top tier equipment" line any more. Busch is even performing better at RCR than he did in his last couple of years at JGR. Kyle Busch is good but he's not Superman.

And further, Reddick isn't performing any better at 23XI than he did at RCR.

But I’m excited for Dale Jr, Jeff Burton, and the rest of the amazing crew at NBC.
Same! I love Clint and his enthusiasm. God forbid he shows a personality in the booth. Does he talk over people occasionally? Sure, IMO that’s just his enthusiasm coming out.

If I wanted to see someone win by a lot, id watch F1. I wanna see good close racing with passing. Idk.

I mean, that's just road racing in general. It doesn't really produces a lot of side by side racing like the oval tracks do. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, that's just road racing in general. It doesn't really produces a lot of side by side racing like the oval tracks do. 🤷‍♂️
That’s fair. But they been oval races this season in nascar that don’t produce. The 1.5 are for the most part delivering on my entertainment. But other than that, a lot of the races ain’t been good to me. COTA was going good til the end where they kept running into each other.

In Gen 6, everyone ran the same brake packages. Chase Elliott had a feel / skill advantage.

Gen 7‘s larger brakes are common to all the teams. What’s the reason for his decline?
I think Alan was mainly able to build/set up the car in away that benefited the way Chase likes to attack RC's. Combined with his skill it was hard to beat. I think it was Bowman that said he tried his setup once and it was undriveable. Don't have all of those same freedoms and adjustability with this car tho. I think they'll get their arms around this one eventually, mainly Chase.

There would be some blow outs but the close ones would more than make up for it. The real non manufactured drama would make it worth the trade off.

I don’t care if one car, one team kicks everyone’s ass by 30+ seconds. That’s what happens sometimes in real racing. When the sanctioning body allows real racing.
Good racing doesn’t always have to mean a win by two-tenths.
Dump the fake stage yellows.

That what I keep saying. Not every race is going to be a barn burner and people remember the barn burners because of how special they were! Not every race is going to end like Kurt Busch and Ricky Craven battling til the bitter end at Darlington. We remember that 2003 Darlington race because it didn't happen every weekend.

I’m fine with folks liking what they do, I don’t understand it, but I’m fine with it. I just like a race where I’m on the edge of my seat at the end. Not saying because of yellows. But because it naturally happens.

Like it doesn’t even have to be a close finish. But I would love more if we got races where at the end, it’s between two or more people.

Has any of the drivers commented on how this car handles on road course? NASCAR obviously figured out how to make intermediate tracks entertaining with the NextGen cars, short tracks obviously needs work, but I wonder if the road course package needs work or if the drivers are happy with it.

6th is oddly Allmendinger’s best result here. Can’t believe he doesn’t have a top 5.

Need a couple more high-speed ovals back, honestly. They shed the calendar of them and now they’re the best product again like peak Gen 4.
Jesus, I can’t believe they got rid of Fontana.
You gotta wonder how much money is enough. These descendants of Big Bill France have never worked a day in their lives.

Back
Top Bottom