Cup RACE thread --- Talladega, Rd. 1

Half the issue with the racing now isnt just the car, its the drivers not taking risks to make for an entertaining race and finish. Buncha Greg Biffles out here.

Ya, I agree. Even though I'm glad Joey won, why were the 4 and 41 waiting?? They both have wins on the year so does it really matter if they finish 2-3 or 14-15???? Go for it I say and try for the win. They literally had nothing to lose.

Well, just realized the 41 doesn't have a win so the points might be important for him...but still.

Don't know why Elliott is complaining..well I do.... race car driver

Poor kid thought he was there to race ............ didn't get the memo that racing had been cancelled :(

a.jpe

I don’t think it’s any more complicated than unstable cars + marginally less HP. The leader has always had a significant advantage on plate tracks with Gen-6 anyways.

Last night when I was on the way from Charlotte to Atlanta I saw all the haulers going up 85 heading back to their shops. Three of the Penske haulers were sitting on the side of the road. I hope it wasn't a serious breakdown.

Hadn't really thought about this ---

Alex Bowman‏Verified account @AlexBowman88
Forward was @DaleJr ‘s thing. All other HMS cars lean back so that’s why it was changed.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.‏Verified account @DaleJr
HMS tried to lean mine back a few times, so it’d be consistent branding with the other teams numbers. Sr. always said that numbers need to lean forward though, similar to how a person leans when they run...

Steve Letarte‏Verified account @SteveLetarte
Oh man I remember that day.... emergency number order. Almost a major ordeal. Haha

Adding: Joey Logano will be on the Dale Jr. Download podcast tomorrow.

Last edited:
Kudos to Chase for calling out the other drivers, what the hell happened to the 100% rule they put in place a couple years ago. (cough, cough).

Cough, cough, anybody think Keselowski led 21 laps, Byron led 14 laps, Menard led 8 laps, A.J. led 2 laps, Larson, McMurray, Dillion, Truex, Boyer and McDowell being knocked out of the race made any difference to the racing...nah :sarcasm:

In the last 26 years, drivers have led the final 40 laps in only four Talladega races.
Davey Allison led the final 71 in May 1992 and Sterling Marlin led the final 40 in July 1995. The other two belong to Logano -- the final 45 in October 2016 and the final 42 on Sunday.

By the backstretch, Busch knew it was over and Logano would snap his 36-race winless streak.
"I didn't get the run off [Turn] 2 and, there was nobody close enough to my rear bumper," Busch said. "Everybody fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh -- everybody is three-wide and nobody is going to develop a run to break through the leader."

Logano's boss, Roger Penske, said he felt it was a good day for NASCAR with a safe race that he felt excited the fans on a day when there were only 25 lead changes.
"There's a lot of thought, a lot of intelligence in those guys out there on this race track," Penske said. "They know you don't race until the end, maybe the end of the stages. ... I saw a lot of discipline.
"I kind of like it when the cars, you don't just go out there and you stand on the gas and you go out there all day. It puts the real drivers in the driver seat and the ones who have experience, and I think you saw that. I thought it was a good show."

"The ride-height rule dropped the rear of the car even more from where it was at Daytona," Busch said. "When you look at some of the numbers, there's less downforce on the cars.
"These rear spoilers still to me are way too narrow. They need to be all the way out to the edge of the fender so it's easier to side draft off of people. That would help with stability and with side drafting."

Ragan said it is unrealistic to see three-wide the entire race.
"When handling comes into play, guys start lifting a little bit, and that's why you couldn't see that second or third lane make a big surge, because handling was more important than it's ever been here," Ragan said. "The best car probably won today."

"The moves you make can't be as aggressive, but it's the same for the guy behind you, right?" Logano said. "They can't make as much of an aggressive move as we used to either because they're unstable.
"It's a product of what we have as far as the ride-height rule going away. ... Our car handled all right. I felt I was able to make some fairly aggressive moves, not as aggressive as I'd like, but I was able to make the right move at the right time and ultimately secure the lead. After that, you just got to be on your game."

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...ascar-cup-series-race-talladega-superspeedway

24 years ago we lost Aryton Senna at Imola.

The same day this infamously happened....

Back
Top Bottom