Cup RACE thread ---- Talladega

Bringing back up last lap caution gate, but @AndyMarquisLive was in sort of right when he said the caution was for Ricky, it was for both, but no matter what, this was waiting for the pack right in front of the S/F line, no matter what, NASCAR was going to be throwing the yellow.
rahxqQ7.jpg

But THAT is a problem --

there's your race winner manipulation opportunity -- NASCAR's finger hovering over the Caution button

I only got to watch a you tube of the last lap but it didn't show where Elliott and Bowman were at on the track when the yellow came out. Does anyone know? I'm just wandering if Bowman would have had a chance to pass Elliott at the finish line had it stayed green or was he just going to be a team player and not take a chance of messing Elliott or his own position up.

I only got to watch a you tube of the last lap but it didn't show where Elliott and Bowman were at on the track when the yellow came out. Does anyone know? I'm just wandering if Bowman would have had a chance to pass Elliott at the finish line had it stayed green or was he just going to be a team player and not take a chance of messing Elliott or his own position up.
About 9:40 minute it shows the last restart and the last 2 laps if this helps

About 9:40 minute it shows the last restart and the last 2 laps if this helps

Thanks, that gave me a lot more view of the whole race. Damn I wished it could have stayed green...we will never know if Bowman could have made a pass at the end. It showed Bowman pull out and pass Chase but I don't know if Chase knew about the yellow first and lifted before Alex did. Either way it was a job well done by Elliott and Bowman. The Chevy engines also performed good.:D

It showed Bowman pull out and pass Chase but I don't know if Chase knew about the yellow first and lifted before Alex did.
I was listening to Chase's in car on raceview. Eddie told him the yellow was out to stick his hand up and ease off of it. Alex went around him after he let off. Alex said that he was waiting to set up his move after turn four.

Even Jeff Gordon from the entertainment propaganda network division of NASCAR media was surprised that NASCAR didn't hit the Caution button when Stenhouse pounded the wall.

Was anything said about Kurt going below the yellow line on the back stretch to nose Stenhouse out of 2nd with 3 to go? Was the rule changed and I missed it?

Was anything said about Kurt going below the yellow line on the back stretch to nose Stenhouse out of 2nd with 3 to go? Was the rule changed and I missed it?
17 got off the bottom coming out of 2, the 1 got under and the 17 came down and forced him below. I had the 17 as my pick in our pool so if it was dirty I would be screamin lol

17 got off the bottom coming out of 2, the 1 got under and the 17 came down and forced him below. I had the 17 as my pick in our pool so if it was dirty I would be screamin lol
LOL ahh ok, I think they only showed that one angle so it was tough to see what was going on there.

So good to see Hemric and Preece come out of there with top fives. Doing so must feel like redemption for both of them after how rotten it has been for them so far. Atlanta springs to mind. Those guys were both running in the top ten and looking set to pull off some impressive rookie finishes, only to have both of them get pegged by some cruel luck late in the going.

I set out with a positive attitude to watch the first plate race in years. Terrible decision. I fell asleep. Same old crapshoot plate race.
I woke up to see that Elliott won. I look forward to the rest of the year to see if Chase is capable of winning on a non-crapshoot track.

Those guys were both running in the top ten and looking set to pull off some impressive rookie finishes, only to have both of them get pegged by some cruel luck late in the going.
Racing can be a cruel mistress.

I set out with a positive attitude to watch the first plate race in years. Terrible decision. I fell asleep. Same old crapshoot plate race.
I woke up to see that Elliott won. I look forward to the rest of the year to see if Chase is capable of winning on a non-crapshoot track.
There's still Dover twice, Martinsville, Richmond, Roval, Watkins Glen, and Sonoma left. He's got a shot at those. 1.5ers? No way with HMS/Chevy's woes.

Even Jeff Gordon from the entertainment propaganda network division of NASCAR media was surprised that NASCAR didn't hit the Caution button when Stenhouse pounded the wall.
If anything, that would have ended the race sooner. They took the white a split second after Stenhouse wrecked, so maybe Jeff's bias was showing and he wanted the caution then so that Chase wouldn't have to hold off any move on backstretch. :beerbang::idunno:

If anything, that would have ended the race sooner. They took the white a split second after Stenhouse wrecked, so maybe Jeff's bias was showing and he wanted the caution then so that Chase wouldn't have to hold off any move on backstretch. :beerbang::idunno:

The last couple of years Nascar has been holding off longer on throwing the cautions, especially at the large Super Speedways. They were going to throw it for Stenhouse, it was going to happen, but the cars weren't close to putting Stenhouse in harms way so they were going to hold off until that became necessary. But when Larson and Earnhardt hit the wall super hard, both drivers had the potential of being injured so Nascar had to get the safety crews out ASAP so they threw the caution. I know I knew and everybody and their little dog knew a caution was coming, it was just a matter of when.

NASCAR should've thrown when Stenhouse wrecked. NASCAR knew they didn't have a clean track to run to and thru the Finish Line.

Like SOI observed, they were going to have to do it anyway -- so racing to a point somewhere else on the track (that is not the Finish Line) to finish the race becomes arbitrary and adds nothing good.

NASCAR should've thrown when Stenhouse wrecked. NASCAR knew they didn't have a clean track to run to and thru the Finish Line.

Like SOI observed, they were going to have to do it anyway -- so racing to a point somewhere else on the track (that is not the Finish Line) to finish the race becomes arbitrary and adds nothing good.
Agreed. But there was no way they could have thrown it before taking the white when they were a couple hundred feet (if that) from line. I agree with letting it go for a few seconds to see where the 17 washes down to. I may be misunderstanding the objection. Do you think it should have been caution then GWC, or that they should have thrown caution with field going into turn one and race over then?

Agreed. But there was no way they could have thrown it before taking the white when they were a couple hundred feet (if that) from line. I agree with letting it go for a few seconds to see where the 17 washes down to. I may be misunderstanding the objection. Do you think it should have been caution then GWC, or that they should have thrown caution with field going into turn one and race over then?

NASCAR should've hit the Caution button based on the significant hit of Stenhouse in the wall. Even if they deemed that the race should continue, the debris on the track to prevent completion of the Final lap should've resulted in a Caution at the time the debris was spread onto the track.

NASCAR could then go to the video to see if Race Leader took the White Flag to determine if there would be a G-W-C or declare the race leader at the time of the Caution as your Winner.

IMHO

Shoulda woulda coulda but Chase Elliott was, is and always will be the winner of that race. :booya:

NASCAR should've hit the Caution button based on the significant hit of Stenhouse in the wall. Even if they deemed that the race should continue, the debris on the track to prevent completion of the Final lap should've resulted in a Caution at the time the debris was spread onto the track.

NASCAR could then go to the video to see if Race Leader took the White Flag to determine if there would be a G-W-C or declare the race leader at the time of the Caution as your Winner.

IMHO

Fair point and I can’t legitimately argue against that.

Back
Top Bottom