Dale jr podcast

Oddly enough they said Glanville was one of their top 3 most requested guests?? Why? Lol. It was honestly a hard listen. Guy was all over the place.

They really need to get Jordan Taylor on that show. Hell, bring Wayne with him. I feel like they could've really capitalized on the Rolex 24 hype had they done it right after that event, especially since each of them won their class.

Yeah, the Glanville one was a non-starter for me. I saw the clip where he claimed to practice Kyle Petty's 42 and immediately tuned out because he was so full of @#$@. As someone else said, Mike even broke character a bit and lost it there.

The Dr. Punch episode was great. It was very similar (some of the same stories) to his Dinner with Racers appearance, but still very good. The story of him saving the ARCA driver with his mic still hot by accident gives me chills every time.

I didn't know Sr. had broke his neck previously to when he had his fatal crash. That cleared up some things with me. I had seen him take so many hard hits in his racecar in comparison to his fatal wreck.

I didn't know Sr. had broke his neck previously to when he had his fatal crash. That cleared up some things with me. I had seen him take so many hard hits in his racecar in comparison to his fatal wreck.
I know in the Larry Mac episode Larry said that's what was causing Earnhardts struggles in the late 90s because he couldn't feel the car. He had surgery before the 2000 season and went out and ran second in points.

Maaaan Marcus Smith dropped some nuclear bombs on this week's episode. I won't spoil it for everyone but it's a must listen.

He's gotta be my favorite guest they've had on that show. Every time he comes on he's got some great tidbits to offer and he's always very open and transparent about their business decisions at SMI, etc.

Maaaan Marcus Smith dropped some nuclear bombs on this week's episode. I won't spoil it for everyone but it's a must listen.

He's gotta be my favorite guest they've had on that show. Every time he comes on he's got some great tidbits to offer and he's always very open and transparent about their business decisions at SMI, etc.
Bombs I tell ya

Yep a certain track getting a certain something in the future sooner rather then later

Bombs I tell ya
thats not a bomb thats

1617156621228.png

Dang it, you're going to make me listen versus giving the synopsis? *insert "I need answers" Sheldon gif*

Dang it, you're going to make me listen versus giving the synopsis? *insert "I need answers" Sheldon gif*
Bristol, Atlanta, Nashville, and North Wilkesboro were the notable things

Bristol, Atlanta, Nashville, and North Wilkesboro were the notable things
Heard the Bristol, Atlanta, and Nashville portions so far. Anxiously awaiting North Wilkesboro and inevitably being shot down.

Make North Wilkesboro a permanent dirt track, there must be piles of bleacher materials laying all over the place!

Make North Wilkesboro a permanent dirt track, there must be piles of bleacher materials laying all over the place!
That's the obvious answer, and Marcus Smith is the one who brings Wilkesboro up. If his father thought the Roval was a bad idea, I wonder what he thinks of putting a roof on Bristol or bringing Wilkesboro back... (sorry, had to spoil it @AdoubleU24 )

That's the obvious answer, and Marcus Smith is the one who brings Wilkesboro up. If his father thought the Roval was a bad idea, I wonder what he thinks of putting a roof on Bristol or bringing Wilkesboro back... (sorry, had to spoil it @AdoubleU24 )
Marcus seems far more open to new ideas then Bruton was, and if he remakes Atlanta or brings some form of racing back to Wilkesboro cares more for history then his dad.

You know, just throwing $hit up here but I actually think it will make a lot of sense if Wilkesboro is revived, its revived as "THE" dirt track for the Cup series to go to each year. I'm not sure what the dollar and cents are on just reviving it as a Xfinity/Trucks/ARCA stop racing on it as is ( of course with the necessary renovations). If you're going to jump in, jump in all the way. I would guess it'd be easier to tear all of the dilapidation down as it is instead of trying to rebuild whats left of it. I would also guess its more cost effective to make it a dirt track and its upkeep than what it is now. I do feel optimistic its coming back, in past conversations about other tracks Marcus hasnt said a track by name if something wasnt in the works ( The Roval, Bristol Dirt). I do think there's some smoke behind this fire and I am eager to see what happens in the future with Wilkesboro. Theres so many possibilities for this place, if they are going to revive it... I hope Dirty Mo Media jumps on the nostalgia of it and has a documentary on the resuscitation of the track back to a Xfinity/Trucks/ARCA stop ( with the Occasional Cup All Star Race) or its conversion to a Cup dirt track. Peacock is always looking for new content and I loved the hell out of Dale Jr's Lost Speedway Series. Either way, I think Marcus is doing good work all around and is a benefit to the sport.

They have cried Wolf Wolf so many times about N. Wilkesboro I could care less until they actually do something instead of yapping about it. There has to be opportunities for lots of events to be held there BESIDES racing for them to float that boat. One or two weekends a year isn't going to cut it.

They have cried Wolf Wolf so many times about N. Wilkesboro I could care less until they actually do something instead of yapping about it. There has to be opportunities for lots of events to be held there BESIDES racing for them to float that boat. One or two weekends a year isn't going to cut it.
I kinda feel like thats why it will be a dirt track if revived, they can have other series race there year round, weekly track series, tractor pulls, demo derbies, and maybe an occasional concert. I too am trying not to get my hopes up but that damn sliver of optimism is still there.

I kinda feel like thats why it will be a dirt track if revived, they can have other series race there year round, weekly track series, tractor pulls, demo derbies, and maybe an occasional concert. I too am trying not to get my hopes up but that damn sliver of optimism is still there.
Yeah and who is the They? Those kind of things need contracts, leasing agreements etc. They aren't going to sink a bunch of money into it betting on the come. That's why it's sitting like it is.

You do realize that a dirt track takes a whole lot more maintenance than a pavement one? They couldn't turn a profit when it was pavement so expecting it to do so with higher operating costs would be a stretch.

Would I love to see it? Yes. Do I think its financially viable? No

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah and who is the They? Those kind of things need contracts, leasing agreements etc. They aren't going to sink a bunch of money into it betting on the come. That's why it's sitting like it is.
They meaning SMI . I would assume they would have all that ironed out before they sunk money into a revival

You do realize that a dirt track takes a whole lot more maintenance than a pavement one? They couldn't turn a profit when it was pavement so expecting it to do so with higher operating costs would be a stretch.

Would I love to see it? Yes. Do I think its financially viable? No

No forgive me for im not a dirt track aficionado when it comes to prep. Seems I shoulda thought that one through more. But again this is SMI's money not yours. If a financially viable way can be found a revival will get done

No forgive me for im not a dirt track aficionado when it comes to prep. Seems I shoulda thought that one through more

He's not correct in the modern context. There are 3-4 times as many dirt oval short tracks as there are paved oval short tracks in the US. There are more pavement tracks that have been covered with dirt in the past 25 years than dirt tracks that have been paved. It is less onerous to make a dirt track work financially, both due to facility costs and the lower costs for racing teams, which leads to higher car counts that increase revenue at the back and front gates.

At this point you would think it would be cheaper to just build a new track of completely lever north wilkesboro than it would be to bring it back. I mean what is there of value? Track needs paving, infrastructure is terrible (buildings and plumbing), needs safer barriers.....

Besides being able to call it north wilkesboro I see no advantage of bringing it back. Start from scratch and do it right if anything

At this point you would think it would be cheaper to just build a new track of completely lever north wilkesboro than it would be to bring it back. I mean what is there of value? Track needs paving, infrastructure is terrible (buildings and plumbing), needs safer barriers.....

Besides being able to call it north wilkesboro I see no advantage of bringing it back. Start from scratch and do it right if anything

Again this is SMI's money not yours. If the track as is can be salvaged and money can be made with a revival, it will be done.

He's not correct in the modern context. There are 3-4 times as many dirt oval short tracks as there are paved oval short tracks in the US. There are more pavement tracks that have been covered with dirt in the past 25 years than dirt tracks that have been paved. It is less onerous to make a dirt track work financially, both due to facility costs and the lower costs for racing teams, which leads to higher car counts that increase revenue at the back and front gates.
yea I honestly dont know, thanks for the knowledge. For some reason I thought it would be more financially viable to own a dirt track than pavement. I should do some self education on that.

Level N.W. and start from scratch. Seems to be the smart thing to do for a decent R.O.I.
At this point, it is N.W. in name only...

Having a dirt track and having one capable of hosting a cup race are 2 completely different things. Yeah you can build a dirt track cheaper, but to build one to the level needed for nascar and maintain it are 2 different things. I've been to some of these tracks and there's no way cup fans will put up with some of those amenities. If you pave a track what track prep do you have prior to racing? And its stable, as in they weather well, you dont have a ton of work to get it ready after it's been rained and snowed on for 6 months.

Cup cars are not a cheap date and you need fans in the stands. What current dirt track is even capable of a small cup crowd (non covid)? Even Eldora had to bring in temporary seating for a truck race.

You are all not on SMIs board I doubt they give a rats ass about what you all think is cheaper or the better idea. As Marcus said on the podcast you can't please everyone so why try

You are all not on SMIs board I doubt they give a rats ass about what you all think is cheaper or the better idea. As Marcus said on the podcast you can't please everyone so why try
No but I also understand SMI is a business and any business's goal is to make money. Would I love to see it back? Yeah. Do I see any way they can do it and make financial sense? Nope

Having a dirt track and having one capable of hosting a cup race are 2 completely different things. Yeah you can build a dirt track cheaper, but to build one to the level needed for nascar and maintain it are 2 different things. I've been to some of these tracks and there's no way cup fans will put up with some of those amenities. If you pave a track what track prep do you have prior to racing? And its stable, as in they weather well, you dont have a ton of work to get it ready after it's been rained and snowed on for 6 months.

Cup cars are not a cheap date and you need fans in the stands. What current dirt track is even capable of a small cup crowd (non covid)? Even Eldora had to bring in temporary seating for a truck race.

Yeah, attendance capacity and facilities are a different matter for the top couple divisions of NASCAR. I made the argument recently that the reason we end up with Dirt Bristol rather than Cup at a traditional dirt track is due to exactly that.

Otherwise, it is more economical to operate a dirt track in most of the country. There are many layers to why, but that's the short of it.

Ya can't have a profitible track built on nostalgia. It's all about location location location and N.Wilkesboro doesn't have it. Who wants to have a conference in N. Wilkesboro?

I just got to this part

Ya can't have a profitible track built on nostalgia. It's all about location location location and N.Wilkesboro doesn't have it. Who wants to have a conference in N. Wilkesboro?
Bristol and Talladega seem to do ok being in the middle of nowhere. You've got Charlotte, Winston Salem, and Greensboro all well within driving distance of Wilkesboro.

Bristol and Talladega seem to do ok being in the middle of nowhere. You've got Charlotte, Winston Salem, and Greensboro all well within driving distance of Wilkesboro.
Talladega is only like 1.5 hours from literally one of the biggest airports in the country and alongside I-20. Cant really ask for an easier track to get to

Most NASCAR tracks are in the middle of BFE in their respective towns. Unlike other major sports like the NFL and MLB where their stadiums are in the middle of the city surrounded by skyscrapers and office buildings. Took “build it and they will come” to heart.

Talladega is only like 1.5 hours from literally one of the biggest airports in the country and alongside I-20. Cant really ask for an easier track to get to

You ever drove thru Atlanta?

You ever drove thru Atlanta?
All the time. I also fly into ATL and drive right past the track to go to one of our customers frequently. It's about as nice of a drive as you can ask for

Back
Top Bottom