Dale jr podcast

1617287526094.png

NW was dirt long before it was asphalt..................North Wilkesboro Speedway opened its doors on May 18, 1947 as a dirt track. Bill France promoted the first official event as a Modified race, including heat races and a feature race. While an attendance of about 3,000 people was expected, a crowd in excess of 10,000 was in attendance to see one of the famous Flock brothers win the race. In 1956, the Wilkes County 160 was the only Grand National Series race of the season, and it was the last race on dirt at North Wilkesboro. Junior Johnson's 1956 Pontiac started from the pole and led the first 17 laps before engine problems sidelined him. Outside pole qualifier Speedy Thompson took over the lead from there until fuel line problems on Lap 114 forced him out of the race. Tim Flock led the final 46 laps, earning his first win at North Wilkesboro. After the race, Flock announced to Carl Kiekhafer that this would be the last time he would drive one of Kiekhafer's cars. Billy Myers was the runner-up.

To me the thing is if you take away the novelty of it being on dirt was it really a better race than any other bristol race? A few cars competitive for the lead and after a handful of laps it was pretty much strung out and single file. Maybe they learned something about track prep to make it a better 2 lane track next time but with this fan base who knows what they want anymore

Bristol should not sacrifice the night race for dirt. I know people miss the whole running bottom thing, but that is a CROWN JEWEL race. Daytona 500, Southern 500, Coke 600 and Bristol night race are sacred events. Races where points be damned
This. If they threaten to mess with the Bristol night race, that's when the pitchforks and torches come out. That's non-negotiable.

To me the thing is if you take away the novelty of it being on dirt was it really a better race than any other bristol race? A few cars competitive for the lead and after a handful of laps it was pretty much strung out and single file. Maybe they learned something about track prep to make it a better 2 lane track next time but with this fan base who knows what they want anymore

I actually think it was. Because it was a true throwback race. Bias ply tires leading to real tire wear, comers and goers, no splitter or side skirts and beating and banging for the bottom line

Bristol should not sacrifice the night race for dirt. I know people miss the whole running bottom thing, but that is a CROWN JEWEL race. Daytona 500, Southern 500, Coke 600 and Bristol night race are sacred events. Races where points be damned
“Crown Jewel” races haven’t been mentioned in what, 15 years? If we’re gonna start caring about Crown Jewel events again, bring back the Winston Million is some form as well. Bragging rights is a boring incentive.

For what it’s worth, Bristol can still be a crown jewel no matter what the surface is.

“Crown Jewel” races haven’t been mentioned in what, 15 years? If we’re gonna start caring about Crown Jewel events again, bring back the Winston Million is some form as well. Bragging rights is a boring incentive.

For what it’s worth, Bristol can still be a crown jewel no matter what the surface is.

The thing that makes Bristol so unique is the insane speed on that banking for a .5 track. It’s what I think makes NASCAR so special, speed that you don’t see on your local short track

Idk, Chase mentioned the Coke 600 as being a major, or crown jewel when he missed out on it last year. These guys still view those events the same way.

The few times we've been to Bristol have been nothing short of awesome... The atmosphere, the history and the sensory happiness are lasting memories...
This totally nails the description of being at a race at Bristol.

How about Marcus leaves Bristol alone after next year and goes back to being two pavement races and then proceeds to make New Hampshire a dirt race. That place needs excitement.

How about Marcus leaves Bristol alone after next year and goes back to being two pavement races and then proceeds to make New Hampshire a dirt race. That place needs excitement.
Loudon needs banking. And lights.
Neither of these will happen, sadly...

This totally nails the description of being at a race at Bristol.
This same description could also describe anywhere that is an attraction.

Disney World.
The Grand Canyon.
Bourbon Street.
Lucy The Elephant.

Disney World.
The Grand Canyon.
Bourbon Street.
Lucy The Elephant.
I need to get out more. I’ve only been to 1 of the 4

Disney World.
The Grand Canyon.
Bourbon Street.
Lucy The Elephant.
My Bristol experiences weren't on the same level as the 4 you mentioned.
Were your Bristol experiences as good as any of the 4?

I'm all for a dirt race on a dirt track. Get rid of a pocono race or new hampshire or one of the cookie cutter 1.5s to make room for it on the schedule. Neither bristol race should be on dirt.

I'm all for a dirt race on a dirt track. Get rid of a pocono race or new hampshire or one of the cookie cutter 1.5s to make room for it on the schedule. Neither bristol race should be on dirt.
100% agreed. Another good candidate to trim to make room is Richmond. There, I said it. Loudon has already lost a date. Pocono and Richmond should be on notice.

100% agreed. Another good candidate to trim to make room is Richmond. There, I said it. Loudon has already lost a date. Pocono and Richmond should be on notice.
NASCAR gave Pocono a double header last season. They are on notice as much as a trust fund child.

I'm listening to the Bobby Labonte interview, started yesterday. Seems like a real interesting dude

NASCAR gave Pocono a double header last season. They are on notice as much as a trust fund child.

NASCAR is contractually obligated to run two Cup events at Pocono at present. That was the motivation for the double header experiment while cutting a week off the schedule. Whether Pocono keeps two Cup races into the next set of sanctioning agreements is very much in play.

I always felt Dr. Berggren was a good man and now I understand why I felt that. Junior is a very effective interviewer, all his interviews are great.

I always felt Dr. Berggren was a good man and now I understand why I felt that. Junior is a very effective interviewer, all his interviews are great.
Junior is an interesting and curious guy which is why he does this podcast thing so well. IMO podcasts in general are usually awesome, probably my favorite medium other than watching live sports. People are much more open

Junior is an interesting and curious guy which is why he does this podcast thing so well. IMO podcasts in general are usually awesome, probably my favorite medium other than watching live sports. People are much more open
^well said.

Long form interviews have the time to wonder around from subject to subject. Shorter formats leave the interviewer trying to hit all their bullet points. And Jr is patient and let’s his guests talk. He’s been good almost from the first one.

Back
Top Bottom