Dale jr podcast

Jr is a natural at it, and is really good at gently guiding the person to what he wants to discuss. I also think it helps that he's JR, meaning that a lot of the NASCAR personalities have known him since he was a little kid and there's a comfort level there. To the non-NASCAR guests, the Earnhardt name carries a lot of respect and clout. Jr has the best of both worlds there.

Andy shared some of his innovations . I got a kick out of one - convincing the driver he has an advantage. He told a story about how he came up with an innovation when he closed the trunk of his car. He was closing the trunk on his Oldsmobile when he noticed something, the car had a feature that pulled the trunk down the last inch and latched it. He incorporated the trunk actuator into a race car to operate the spoiler, it is a really good story. I'm looking forward to Part 2.

It was suggested that the NASCAR Hall of Fame put together a display of "innovations" that were developed over the years. After all, team innovations wrote the rule book.

Also we learned that the only way Phil Parsons ever could win a Cup race was by cheating

While I find cheating stories from yesteryear entertaining (I do get a kick out of them), I'm glad NASCAR keeps up with finding innovations. When I hear a car is moved to the back of the field after tech I realize it is still going on and now I see stretching the rules differently from the past exploits. Somehow a team of engineers working on a cheat feels different from a single car team coming up with an interesting idea.

God, Jr’s story about his dad telling him not to lift at Talladega makes me laugh out loud every time.

I bet Leo Jackson regrets not hiring Jeff Gordon like Petree told him

Watched today's Download with Kerry.
Kerry looks so much like Big E it is scary. It was very interesting to learn
about Kerry's early life and how he re-connected with the family.

Watched today's Download with Kerry.
Kerry looks so much like Big E it is scary. It was very interesting to learn
about Kerry's early life and how he re-connected with the family.
It was quite interesting, I didn't know much of the family aspects of that story. And the stories of when the two lived together were hilarious.

Teresa is a bigger C you next Tuesday then we even thought.

To be fair this was decades ago. Let’s not all pretend that the Earnhardt family was sunshine and rainbows except for She Who Shall Not Be Named. Junior has talked extensively about how his dad showed little interest in him for years and years until he got into racing. Not even showing up to graduations type disinterest.

Dale Sr was rough guy. It makes sense that one of his wives was just as salty.

To be fair this was decades ago. Let’s not all pretend that the Earnhardt family was sunshine and rainbows except for She Who Shall Not Be Named. Junior has talked extensively about how his dad showed little interest in him for years and years until he got into racing. Not even showing up to graduations type disinterest.

Dale Sr was rough guy. It makes sense that one of his wives was just as salty.
I mean I put that phone call the night Dale died telling Kerry he wasn't racing that year on her.

Every time I listen to these I can't help but think about how incredible it would have been for Sr. to be on this show if he were alive. They'd have to split it into 20 episodes.

And yet Big D gets a pass for being a dirtbag dad to his first born. Lets another man adopt and raise him for the first 16 years of his life.

I wonder how Mr. Key felt/feels now that Kerry dropped his adopted name to be an Earnhardt?

And yet Big D gets a pass for being a dirtbag dad to his first born. Lets another man adopt and raise him for the first 16 years of his life.

I wonder how Mr. Key felt/feels now that Kerry dropped his adopted name to be an Earnhardt?
That's one aspect of the show that I respect the heck out of Jr for doing: He'll tell or allow stories to be told that paint Sr in a very unflattering light. There were a couple during the Ty Norris episode, and Jr even pointed out how everyone deifies him (Sr) in stories now and ignores what an a-hole he could be. The story of Jr pouting after wrecking his car at Charlotte then having Sr come in and chew him out, followed by Jr. standing up to him by saying "I haven't been a pimple on your ass for the last 20 years and now all of a sudden you care because I can drive a car" was one that floored me.

Check out when Jr was on Joe Rogan's podcast (despite what you may or may not think of Rogan). He all but "went there" in talking about Sr being a terrible father, but held back just enough.

That's one aspect of the show that I respect the heck out of Jr for doing: He'll tell or allow stories to be told that paint Sr in a very unflattering light. There were a couple during the Ty Norris episode, and Jr even pointed out how everyone deifies him (Sr) in stories now and ignores what an a-hole he could be. The story of Jr pouting after wrecking his car at Charlotte then having Sr come in and chew him out, followed by Jr. standing up to him by saying "I haven't been a pimple on your ass for the last 20 years and now all of a sudden you care because I can drive a car" was one that floored me.

Check out when Jr was on Joe Rogan's podcast (despite what you may or may not think of Rogan). He all but "went there" in talking about Sr being a terrible father, but held back just enough.
Agree....he doesn't seem to shy away from painting dad to be the ass when he was one.

And I also agree his show, when he has the right guests, is one of the best on tv about NASCAR. His stories about his childhood and early racing are awesome and he pulls them out of his guests.

Thoroughly enjoy when he talks about pissing off his dad with dumb antics.

Agree....he doesn't seem to shy away from painting dad to be the ass when he was one.

And I also agree his show, when he has the right guests, is one of the best on tv about NASCAR. His stories about his childhood and early racing are awesome and he pulls them out of his guests.

Thoroughly enjoy when he talks about pissing off his dad with dumb antics.
Like going on a road trip when he was underage with Ken Schrader? :cheers:

Like going on a road trip when he was underage with Ken Schrader? :cheers:
I missed that one....no, the one that comes to mind is his dad drug him to some sponsor benefit bird hunt and he had no interest in going (I took it that he really wasn't that big into hunting). Jr was put with a different group (of sponsors) than his Dad and a bird flew over his dad's (and group) head. Jr. not really thinking about the "safety" of the situation shot the bird out of the sky. The way he told it I see feathers floating down upon his dad and sponsor group. Jr. was real proud of himself and thought his Dad would be too but he publicly admonished him in front of everyone. They were all laughing (I think the Lajoie's were his guests during that episode) about it but I bet at the time Jr was mortified. Those hardass dad moments are hilarious.

Your quote is a little off, what they said was " dad, I aint been a pimple on your ass in 10 years and now all of sudden you're coming over here to tell me all this stuff" The incident was in the late 90s and don't think Jr was doing a lot in racing yet, certainly not making anyone any money.
I listened to that Rogan episode as well, it was very good and real eye opening.

I missed that one....no, the one that comes to mind is his dad drug him to some sponsor benefit bird hunt and he had no interest in going (I took it that he really wasn't that big into hunting). Jr was put with a different group (of sponsors) than his Dad and a bird flew over his dad's (and group) head. Jr. not really thinking about the "safety" of the situation shot the bird out of the sky. The way he told it I see feathers floating down upon his dad and sponsor group. Jr. was real proud of himself and thought his Dad would be too but he publicly admonished him in front of everyone. They were all laughing (I think the Lajoie's were his guests during that episode) about it but I bet at the time Jr was mortified. Those hardass dad moments are hilarious.
It was the Hank Parker Jr episode. This was a fun episode because you could tell they were genuine friends and had a lot of fun together. Funny episode too.

It was the Hank Parker Jr episode. This was a fun episode because you could tell they were genuine friends and had a lot of fun together. Funny episode too.
There all good and most are great. One awhile back that really surprised me was David Hobbs. That guy was a hoot.

YES! That was who was on it….knew it was another driver with a famous dad….lol

I havent listened yet but I hope Jr asks him about his hairpiece.

Maybe I don't remember what Spencer sounded like or those cigars are catching up to him

Honestly I wasnt a fan of this episode. They spent the whole first half talking about kids stories, garage sales, and other random ****. It felt like Spencer came in and they didn’t get to anything juicy before the announcing that it’s a two part episode.

So we gotta wait till part 2 to hear anything they hyped up in the first half of part 1.

Honestly I wasnt a fan of this episode. They spent the whole first half talking about kids stories, garage sales, and other random ****. It felt like Spencer came in and they didn’t get to anything juicy before the announcing that it’s a two part episode.

So we gotta wait till part 2 to hear anything they hyped up in the first half of part 1.
I feel the exact same way. I don't get why this is two parts when the first part uncovered literally nothing. All we got from part one, after all the garage sale type conversion, is that Jimmy Spencer raced modifieds, which isn't news. 40 minutes to get to the guest after "garage sales start early in the morning" and then we get the rest of the episode of just Spencer rambling aimlessly. I still don't get why Bill France gave Spencer a check for ten grand to not run that Daytona Busch race.

I meant more like Spencer was going on so many tangents that Dale and Mike couldn't get a word in, but you're probably right too.
In the lead up to the interview Jr. made it clear he had issues with Jimmy.

Back
Top Bottom