Danica Patrick interviewed by Graham Bensinger

One part I didn't like what that after Go Daddy changed hands and dropped sponsorship, another sponsor showed up, didn't pay and had to be sued and a settlement made. Danica never mentions any of that, or the efforts made to keep her in the car and what a PITA that was. Waiting for rumors that she is the problem when her latest boyfriend starts bombing in kickball in "as the Danica turns"

SHR walked into the figgy mess as there were several, including yours truly, that said they could not afford it.

to that I would say probably. They did have the debacle with nature's bakery. YES almirola would not be in the car without smithfield money. if SHR had money wouldn't you rather have had kenseth? I know I would he could hold the car open in case they ever wanted to put custer in the car. I can think of several more choices I would have rather had than almirola. I don't think almirola is all that great of a driver. I think the problem is everyone knew danica was as good as she would ever be and after wrecking all the time it was getting to be a negative and a drag on any sponsor. basically the time was done. I have plenty of opinions of danica as a driver, you can search them. The interview was cool though and you guys can be mean, LOL

Tony Stewart said (with a straight face) that having sponsorship from Smithfield had no bearing on hiring Almirola

I saw all of these YT videos when they came out, the comment section is incredible.

Forget sponsorship woes which she clearly was not happy SHR didn't secure but on a statistical basis alone....what Company wants to sponsor a 24th average place finisher? Who's going to fork over $22-$34M for fully funded season to run in the back? On top of that its equipment that's winning weekly and producing Championships (Tony 2011, Harvick 2014). Forget GoDaddy or Smithfield, say they aren't in this scenario. Who you picking to put your money 25 Million on....Danica or Aric? Exactly.

I saw all of these YT videos when they came out, the comment section is incredible.

Forget sponsorship woes which she clearly was not happy SHR didn't secure but on a statistical basis alone....what Company wants to sponsor a 24th average place finisher? Who's going to fork over $22-$34M for fully funded season to run in the back? On top of that its equipment that's winning weekly and producing Championships (Tony 2011, Harvick 2014). Forget GoDaddy or Smithfield, say they aren't in this scenario. Who you picking to put your money 25 Million on....Danica or Aric? Exactly.
For me it would have to be Aric in a Cup car...but I would put her in an Indy car in a heartbeat. I would even try her out in a nitro car...especially a dragster.

For me it would have to be Aric in NASCAR...but I would put her in an Indy car in a heartbeat. I would even try her out in a nitro car...especially a dragster.
I would always wonder how she'd do in NHRA in a Pro Stock. But I would very much like to have seen how she'd do in NHRA.

I've never, ever been a Danica Patrick fan.....she just didn't have what it took to really make it in NASCAR. I'm one of those guys who misses the days of Dale Earnhardt, Sr., Petty, Elliot, DW, etc doing what they loved to do. I actually only recently got back into NASCAR after a self-imposed 17-year hiatus after we lost Dale, Sr. at Daytona. But, I've recently been "bitten" again by the NASCAR bug and I'm loving it!!!

(I didn't see an introductions section so....this is my first post).

I've never, ever been a Danica Patrick fan.....she just didn't have what it took to really make it in NASCAR. I'm one of those guys who misses the days of Dale Earnhardt, Sr., Petty, Elliot, DW, etc doing what they loved to do. I actually only recently got back into NASCAR after a self-imposed 17-year hiatus after we lost Dale, Sr. at Daytona. But, I've recently been "bitten" again by the NASCAR bug and I'm loving it!!!

Welcome and I’m glad you are enjoying Nascar again. Many of us are very disappointed with Nascar for changing the rules next year but are going to check it out to see what it is like

Glad your here Tony. Any problems with posting or how to do something, post em up and somebody will help you.

I think the broadcast deal is terrific. What areas are you happy or unhappy about.

There are several areas I like, and some that I dislike. Occasionally I'll feel the need to speak my mind, and comment accordingly. I try not to repeat myself too frequently, and I try to limit unnecessary posts so I'm not cluttering up the forum and annoying everyone else.

But you? You clearly have an agenda, because the overwhelming majority of your comments are the same negative jabs at the current state of NASCAR, regardless of what thread you're posting in or what the topic is. They all come out the same. Even your "positive" comments reek of insincere optimism and backhanded compliments against the sport. You have this passive aggressive tone towards several members here, and at this point it just looks like you're trolling.

Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

tenor.gif

Wait so is Ian Mcvittie .....Atomic Punk.... who was Skoal Bandit 33 when I first joined the forums back in 2017???? Is this confirmed? Or an inside joke....and if it’s is confirmed why does he/she keep changing names??

This thread went from a dialogue about an intriguing interview, and avoided “Danica bashing” (surprisingly) but morphed into a thread bashing posters instead.

Yet again the usual suspects triggered the thread jacking.

Must be a bored offseason for the forum trolls already.

This thread went from a dialogue about an intriguing interview, and avoided “Danica bashing” (surprisingly) but morphed into a thread bashing posters instead.

Yet again the usual suspects triggered the thread jacking.

Must be a bored offseason for the forum trolls already.

I don't agree. Danica is untouchable to some. Any criticism is seen as "hate." Having said that, what did you really expect from a post about somebody who has nothing to do with NASCAR? Honestly, the **** Danica catches is morning warm up for Kyle Busch. It's not exclusive to her.

I don't agree. Danica is untouchable to some. Any criticism is seen as "hate." Having said that, what did you really expect from a post about somebody who has nothing to do with NASCAR? Honestly, the sh!t Danica catches is morning warm up for Kyle Busch. It's not exclusive to her.

At least Kyle only gets criticized for being a jerk, and on some level, I think he actually thrives on it. Danica gets slammed for breathing. Is some of the criticism justified? Yeah, she was very average in Indy Cars other than Indy where she was lights out, and she never really adapted to stock cars, just like 90% of people with her background who have ever tried it. Is she a jerk sometimes? Yeah, she's kind of hard to sympathize with sometimes, but I have never really understood the absolute venom some people spew concerning her. I think sometimes she doesn't express what she is really feeling very well. As far as I'm concerned, her foray into NASCAR was an interesting experiment, and it failed. Pretty much the end of the story from my perspective, but for many people, it's just another excuse to tear her to pieces for every single thing she has ever done or said. I don't really understand it. It's like the vitriol that both Richard and Kyle Petty launched her way. Even if you want to contend that everything they said was true, what was the point or the value in saying it? I fully believe in an honest assessment of the people in the sport, but it seems to me that Danica became a whipping girl for every real or imagined fault, and I think some of it is quite unfair.

Welcome and I’m glad you are enjoying Nascar again. Many of us are very disappointed with Nascar for changing the rules next year but are going to check it out to see what it is like

Ok, since I'm a bit behind in my NASCAR rules, what rules did they change??

They are referring to the ultra high downforce and lower horsepower package that will be used at many tracks next year. Some here are convinced it's the absolute end of the world. Some of us are taking a wait and see approach....

Ok, since I'm a bit behind in my NASCAR rules, what rules did they change??

I will let a super fan give you the extended version but at several races next year Nascar will choke horsepower from the engines. Many people feel that this will lead to Daytona style pack racing where drivers will be flat footing it for many laps.

There are 2 members here that can’t wait for it and a lot more that are taking a wait and see approach. There is also a large group that feels horsepower and speed should not be taken out of the drivers hands.

If you have enjoyed the racing in the past couple of years it may be tough going next year.

They are referring to the ultra high downforce and lower horsepower package that will be used at many tracks next year. Some here are convinced it's the absolute end of the world. Some of us are taking a wait and see approach....

I read about the rule changes on NASCAR's site. I will admit that I don't like the "lower HP & high DF" and I'm on the fence about NASCAR getting rid of restrictor plates. I hate to say it but if there weren't restrictor plates, I feel like there could be many more accidents within NASCAR. I mean......that's kind of the point with restrictor plates, right? To keep the car from going too freakin' fast on the track.......right? (Like I said, I'm a NASCAR fan but.....I'll admit that there are some things that go way over my head).

All I will say is SHR finished Danica when they snatched Gibson away from her and placed him with Kurt Busch.

There is also a large group that feels horsepower and speed should not be taken out of the drivers hands.

NASCAR has been limiting speed and power since the first day they got away from "strictly stock" race cars. What was it when they made the 7.0 liter max engine size in the 60's? What was it when they tried to ban the Hemi and the SOHC Ford? What was it when they banned the wing cars and the low production specials like the Torino Talladegas? How about when they down sized the engines to 358 CID? How about when they went with a MAX compression ratio? How about limiting exotic engine materials and mandating flat tappet camshafts? The point is, NASCAR has been doing this since the early 60's and EVERYTHING we have in the 2018 engine package has been limited or restricted in some way, so how is 2019 any different? We can argue the methods and we can argue whether it will produce the desired result, but some people need to stop pretending that the 2019 regulations are some kind of never before seen action. Some people make it sound like up until now it's just been a free for all where anything goes in the quest for more power and speed. I'm personally not a fan of the traditional restrictor plate, because I feel like it's a Rube Goldberg way to cut horsepower, but I don't have any real issue with the goal of reducing horsepower in a general way. The sonic air restrictors used to balance competition in the sportscar series seem to work just fine.

NASCAR has been limiting speed and power since the first day they got away from "strictly stock" race cars. What was it when they made the 7.0 liter max engine size in the 60's? What was it when they tried to ban the Hemi and the SOHC Ford? What was it when they banned the wing cars and the low production specials like the Torino Talladegas? How about when they down sized the engines to 358 CID? How about when they went with a MAX compression ratio? How about limiting exotic engine materials and mandating flat tappet camshafts? The point is, NASCAR has been doing this since the early 60's and EVERYTHING we have in the 2018 engine package has been limited or restricted in some way, so how is 2019 any different? We can argue the methods and we can argue whether it will produce the desired result, but some people need to stop pretending that the 2019 regulations are some kind of never before seen action. Some people make it sound like up until now it's just been a free for all where anything goes in the quest for more power and speed. I'm personally not a fan of the traditional restrictor plate, because I feel like it's a Rube Goldberg way to cut horsepower, but I don't have any real issue with the goal of reducing horsepower in a general way. The sonic air restrictors used to balance competition in the sportscar series seem to work just fine.

I just read the first couple of sentences but I gather you are using the old “they have always done it that way” reasoning/excuse. I don’t care what they did 50 years ago but I do care about choking the cars down artificially for no good reason. If it was safety related I could understand but this is not the case.

you are way out of most people leagues with that info and I am not trying to be snarky. I would add outlawed Fuel injection until very recently and two four barrels. Outlawed whole cars in the past the Jag. Most believe who don't know any better for some reason that Nascar is the only series that limits HP. ALL racing series have been doing that since way back in the 70's. IMO some series have gone way over the line in that area with F-1 being the leader by far with virtually no passing once the leader gets out front in clean air.

All I can say is that I thoroughly enjoy my time here and enjoy the interactions. I have asked undisciplined people to put me on ignore so they don't ever need to know I am present. For whatever reasons the little old ladies can’t stop peering over the knitting needles to read what I write and then start whining and crying about it. Maybe SOI and Lew can tell you why as they won’t tell me.
see his word is his bond.... He IS a Different person. lmao.

All I will say is SHR finished Danica when they snatched Gibson away from her and placed him with Kurt Busch.
I don't normally comment in Danica threads as it seems pointless to me, but Tony Gibson said that it was Danica that fired him... or more precisely, she requested that SHR replace him as her crew chief. Tony Stewart said the same thing in an interview around the time she was leaving SHR.

Gibson's comments were in a long form article about his career and the cadre of crew members who were with him so many years. I don't have a link, but it seemed entirely credible to me.

I don't normally comment in Danica threads as it seems pointless to me, but Tony Gibson said that it was Danica that fired him... or more precisely, she requested that SHR replace him as her crew chief. Tony Stewart said the same thing in an interview around the time she was leaving SHR.

Gibson's comments were in a long form article about his career and the cadre of crew members who were with him so many years. I don't have a link, but it seemed entirely credible to me.
Were those comments before Texas 2014 or was it after they had aleady made the switch?

yep that is the story. And recalling, it didn't make any difference what chief she had, all ya got to do is pull up her record, her average finish never got better unless you call a position or two better. She never had a clue how to drive a sprint car, and crew chiefs can only do so much.

I just read the first couple of sentences but I gather you are using the old “they have always done it that way” reasoning/excuse. I don’t care what they did 50 years ago but I do care about choking the cars down artificially for no good reason. If it was safety related I could understand but this is not the case.

It's not what they did 50 years ago, it's what they STARTED to do 50 years ago and have continued to this very day. The 2018 NASCAR engine which presumably you love just fine would probably have 1200 or 1300 horsepower if the teams were left to do whatever the hell they want, but NASCAR has RESTRICTED down to the level you saw this last year. For 2019, NASCAR is just taking it a little further. As I said, you can agree or disagree whether it's the right thing to do but I would caution people not to overreact just yet.

Were those comments before Texas 2014 or was it after they had aleady made the switch?
After. At least a year later, maybe more.

He said he was told by Zippy that he was "out" as Danica's crew chief, was given an option to take on Kurt Busch, met with his loyal long-time crew, and they made a joint decision to accept the Kurt Busch assignment. Danica's cars were re-numbered #41 and the cars Kurt had been driving were re-numbered #10.

BTW, Welcome to @Tony Trout. Hope you will stick around.

Last edited:
It's not what they did 50 years ago, it's what they STARTED to do 50 years ago and have continued to this very day. The 2018 NASCAR engine which presumably you love just fine would probably have 1200 or 1300 horsepower if the teams were left to do whatever the hell they want, but NASCAR has RESTRICTED down to the level you saw this last year. For 2019, NASCAR is just taking it a little further. As I said, you can agree or disagree whether it's the right thing to do but I would caution people not to overreact just yet.
I wouldn't worry to much about it, they will find something else to over react over, that is what the herd does. I guess you are one of the two also.:p

I don’t like to use this term but I have no alternative in this instance. Dumbing down the rules for next year and taking a benefit away from the more skilled drivers is not good for fans of sport or speed contests.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, they will find something else to over react over, that is what the herd does. I guess you are one of the two also.:p

The good news is regardless of the type of racing you will still get to have one eye on the leaderboard checking those 13-15 place intervals. You can have another eye on the scintillating action on your Emerson, one hand on a PPR or Milwaukee’s best and I don’t even want to think about what the other hand is up to.

Back
Top Bottom