Daytona 2024 Pre-Race Thread

Right around the time SPEED disappeared.

The RTA wanting to cut costs to the point that Daytona becomes just another race doesn’t help.

Do Daytona 500 Pole Qualifying and ARCA on the Saturday before, or even Super Bowl Sunday and aim to be done by 4pm. (Can be done, Fox drew 1.77 million viewers for the Caitlin Clark Experience on Sunday up against CBS Super Biwl pregame coverage).

The Clash doesn’t need to go back to Daytona. And the RTA will stand against it.

The Clash absolutely should be @ Daytona for 20-30 laps. The RTA is cool in theory but awful for the fans.

I'm liking the Toyota fud in here. Bottom out sentiment then sideline the doubters when it matters.
IDK, if it turns out as bad as it looks, I can see Toyota crying on Nascar's doorstep saying PLEASE Nascar, let us change out front end... again! lol.

The last three D500 winners have qualified 27th, 21st, and 35th in the single-car qualifying session. It’s all about how well you can draft and handle in traffic - how many years did HMS dominate qualifying and then struggle to hold onto their cars come race day?
Exactly why I made no effort to watch this. It tells us nothing about race day performance. It's cars on the track and that's it.

The last three D500 winners have qualified 27th, 21st, and 35th in the single-car qualifying session. It’s all about how well you can draft and handle in traffic - how many years did HMS dominate qualifying and then struggle to hold onto their cars come race day?
McDowell started 17th in 2-21, Cindric started 5th in 2-22, and Stenhouse started 31st in 2-23. 2 Fords and a Chevy.

1707972325921.png

Right around the time SPEED disappeared.

The RTA wanting to cut costs to the point that Daytona becomes just another race doesn’t help.

Do Daytona 500 Pole Qualifying and ARCA on the Saturday before, or even Super Bowl Sunday and aim to be done by 4pm. (Can be done, Fox drew 1.77 million viewers for the Caitlin Clark Experience on Sunday up against CBS Super Biwl pregame coverage).

The Clash doesn’t need to go back to Daytona. And the RTA will stand against it.

People keep talking about the Clash but that's such a small piece of what we've lost. All of the practice time helped build hype, as did having smaller events like the IROC race and Goody's Dash race. We've also lost the Preseason testing that helped set the stage and give us a taste of what we were getting just a month later.

The Goody's Dash Series ending was what it was and maybe Ray Evernham can bring IROC back to Daytona but NASCAR should prioritize getting preseason testing back and having more practice sessions.

People keep talking about the Clash but that's such a small piece of what we've lost. All of the practice time helped build hype, as did having smaller events like the IROC race and Goody's Dash race. We've also lost the Preseason testing that helped set the stage and give us a taste of what we were getting just a month later.

The Goody's Dash Series ending was what it was and maybe Ray Evernham can bring IROC back to Daytona but NASCAR should prioritize getting preseason testing back and having more practice sessions.
Cost cost cost unfortunately. I’m with ya, I thought the magnitude of speedweeks felt bigger when The Clash was run on the Saturday before the 500 and then qualifying for the 500 was early afternoon the next day which was the Sunday before the 500. You had a week then of practice for Cup, other races and then the 125’s to build that hype. Lately Speedweeks has just kind of felt rushed and a shotgun marriage. The pre season testing was neat because you got to see the new paint schemes, driver uniforms and hats of the upcoming season as well as catch up with your favorite driver via practice interviews after what felt like a long off season

Exactly why I made no effort to watch this. It tells us nothing about race day performance. It's cars on the track and that's it.
It was just good to see cars back on track at Daytona, @FLRacingFan ’s post summed up tonight’s festivities well. Sunday is what matters, but I’ll always be happy with nascar of some form on a Weds night

That is much better than crying in your beer. I think they are too slow though.
I'll agree with you here....Jimmie is the benchmark....Don't think anybody thought he would have to race for his ass tonight. I am disappointed.....If they blow the field away tonight, okay, but I don't think that is what is going on here. Something is up IMO. WE might have missed.

IDK, if it turns out as bad as it looks, I can see Toyota crying on Nascar's doorstep saying PLEASE Nascar, let us change out front end... again! lol.
The Felon never did that. Ever. Oh hey, 2020....when everybody else had nothing for the package at that time. I will stand by what I said then. You ****** race what you designed. No give. If WE are ****, I will suffer. Fine.

I'm so tired of hearing about costs.
What were the budgets of these teams back in the 80's and earlier when they went to Daytona for preseason testing?
What were the budgets when they first started running the Clash?
These are not mandatory events. If your team feels the juice isn't worth the squeeze, then stay home. Simple.

I'm so tired of hearing about costs.
What were the budgets of these teams back in the 80's and earlier when they went to Daytona for preseason testing?
What were the budgets when they first started running the Clash?
These are not mandatory events. If your team feels the juice isn't worth the squeeze, then stay home. Simple.
The Clash is mandatory for chartered teams.

I'll agree with you here....Jimmie is the benchmark....Don't think anybody thought he would have to race for his ass tonight. I am disappointed.....If they blow the field away tonight, okay, but I don't think that is what is going on here. Something is up IMO. WE might have missed.
I don't think they have enough speed to lead. I think they will get a shove and whoever will drive around them. They will probably be ok in the pack.

I'll take stuff that already went broke for 500 Alex.

The Felon never did that. Ever. Oh hey, 2020....when everybody else had nothing for the package at that time. I will stand by what I said then. You ****** race what you designed. No give. If WE are ****, I will suffer. Fine.
That's what a good Samurai does, fall on their sword. Now with sold out and Hamlin, it will be a different story if they get wiped out at Daytona.

Interesting to see how the Toyotas run tonight. Larry Mac said they all do their set up for racing, not qualifying. But…later even he was “concerned“ for their lack of speed.

That new Ford body looks awesome, and they’re showing out early. Can’t wait for tonight’s duels, even though most will be essentially running practice.

Interesting to see how the Toyotas run tonight. Larry Mac said they all do their set up for racing, not qualifying. But…later even he was “concerned“ for their lack of speed.

That new Ford body looks awesome, and they’re showing out early. Can’t wait for tonight’s duels, even though most will be essentially running practice.
Agreed. This is what I love about this sport even when it bites me in the ass. I was really bummed after qualifying. I was hoping/dreaming that maybe WE would change our approach, and set the world on fire. Okay, that is done and dusted. Now, it will be fascinating to see if OUR approach was downforce, and if WE come alive. I have my doubts. Everybody and their dog saw the forecast....it is not going to be hot and slick. I don't think that downforce will be the secret sauce. Even if WE suck, it fascinates me no end that WE would find OURSELVES in that position....losing the engineering race....which is why I am adamant about no changes. WE submitted our ****. WE were approved. If the best WE can do for a year (or more) is 22nd, then live with it. WE will have had OUR asses handed to us. No freebies. No Felon handouts. I have lived through a two win season. I still enjoyed it. Every week there is hope.

Agreed. This is what I love about this sport even when it bites me in the ass. I was really bummed after qualifying. I was hoping/dreaming that maybe WE would change our approach, and set the world on fire. Okay, that is done and dusted. Now, it will be fascinating to see if OUR approach was downforce, and if WE come alive. I have my doubts. Everybody and their dog saw the forecast....it is not going to be hot and slick. I don't think that downforce will be the secret sauce. Even if WE suck, it fascinates me no end that WE would find OURSELVES in that position....losing the engineering race....which is why I am adamant about no changes. WE submitted our ****. WE were approved. If the best WE can do for a year (or more) is 22nd, then live with it. WE will have had OUR asses handed to us. No freebies. No Felon handouts. I have lived through a two win season. I still enjoyed it. Every week there is hope.
Eh, you aren't the shot caller. If they stink they will suffer for awhile until they come up with yet another front end and Nascar will let them because ..parity. Who knows, they could race well at the other tracks, might do ok at Daytona but damn, this is great fun dogging the rice burners. Anybody see where Nemechek went?

Eh, you aren't the shot caller. If they stink they will suffer for awhile until they come up with yet another front end and Nascar will let them because ..parity. Who knows, they could race well at the other tracks, might do ok at Daytona but damn, this is great fun dogging the rice burners. Anybody see where Nemechek went?
Today's NASCAR is about engineering....you miss, you lose. Not everybody gets a trophy. **** that. I don't even want that for MY Toyotas. I still hate what went on in 2020....so much so that I would hate it if it benefitted US. If this plays out as it has started....which is HIGHLY unlikely.....and NASCAR throws US a bone, I will be very, very pissed. Take your ****** medicine. What does that say to the Ford engineers if this plays out? **** parity. Down times separate the bandwagoners like yourself from the real fans like me. Does KB even have his Fan Club anymore....or did he sell that too?

I know they've won several 500's but I can't recall Toyota ever winning the pole for one? You figure that would a goal somewhere along the way? Particularly from a marketing standpoint

I mean you would have thought the 84 would have been completely trimmed out to make sure it made the show?

I know they've won several 500's but I can't recall Toyota ever winning the pole for one? You figure that would a goal somewhere along the way? Particularly from a marketing standpoint

I mean you would have thought the 84 would have been completely trimmed out to make sure it made the show?
WE have not won a 500 pole....and I could not agree with you more. Thought that maybe WE might send a shot over a bow or two with some trimmed out Legacys. Not sure what is going on. Gabehart said that he is not concerned, but is surprised by the speed--or lack thereof. The 500 is a one day thing....with the result being lasting a lifetime---I get it, but qualifying and the Duels create a multi-day buzz....or, in this case, a lack thereof.

If all of this lack of speed is strategic, WE will destroy the field tonight.....I can hope/dream, but I don't see that happening. I want US to go the way of The Felon, and park it on pole...then thump OUR chests.

Today's NASCAR is about engineering....you miss, you lose. Not everybody gets a trophy. **** that. I don't even want that for MY Toyotas. I still hate what went on in 2020....so much so that I would hate it if it benefitted US. If this plays out as it has started....which is HIGHLY unlikely.....and NASCAR throws US a bone, I will be very, very pissed. Take your ****** medicine. What does that say to the Ford engineers if this plays out? **** parity. Down times separate the bandwagoners like yourself from the real fans like me. Does KB even have his Fan Club anymore....or did he sell that too?
Nascar has been known to make changes to the cars at any time during the season. They have been known to give or take away advantages. Most of the time it is done without public announcements. Some of the well known ones that were announced was Ford getting a new grill after their grill kept falling out, Chevy being allowed because of late rule changes after their car was already developed to re engineer their car to current changes. The Fords were dinged because of their rear wheelhouse configurations. It will continue to happen. Nothing is set in stone.

We good. :)
Nascar has been known to make changes to the cars at any time during the season. They have been known to give or take away advantages. Most of the time it is done without public announcements. Some of the well known ones that were announced was Ford getting a new grill after their grill kept falling out, Chevy being allowed because of late rule changes after their car was already developed to re engineer their car to current changes. The Fords were dinged because of their rear wheelhouse configurations. It will continue to happen. Nothing is set in stone.
Yeah, back in the day, made sense maybe, but now they all see each other's ****. If MY engineers are better than yours, get new ones. Maybe ****** drivers should get a handicap.
Hoping the Camry races better than it qualifies.
It did. A lot better. Hell yes!
Chevy being allowed because of late rule changes after their car was already developed to re engineer their car to current changes.
So awesome. So, so, so awesome.
I'm hoping they get lapped. :idunno:
Well.......

Back
Top Bottom