Daytona 500 Pole Day

Young reporter: "Mr. France, do you anticipate changing the process next year?"

France: "Yes, we will have the drivers wear clown suits next year...fireproof of course."

Reporter: "Awesome dude."

I'm moving back to the Northeast and choose this weekend to come up and do the apartment hunting thing.

I'll still take it over Southern summers though.
We're about to get slammed here Tuesday

However, there's nothing better than a southern summer.

Nothing.

I'll take the 75-80 degree summer days of northern New England. My dad is from the South so I spent a lot of time in the South during the summer, I don't know how people handle the heat and humidity.

I'll take the 75-80 degree summer days of northern New England. My dad is from the South so I spent a lot of time in the South during the summer, I don't know how people handle the heat and humidity.

75--80????

That's thunderstorm/tornado warning weather around these parts in the summer.

100 degrees in the shade with a warm breeze?

That's my kinda summer :partytime

The worst piece of crap in the history of Nascar . Any race fan should be sick to his stomach . What that stupidity had to do with racing is beyond me . I am just too old to adapt to this crap.Sick , sick , sick ,sick.
YEP...I was standing outside just after this qualifying debacle. and I heard what I thought to be muffled sounds of laughter...Then I recognized the voice...It was ole "IRONHEAD" from inside his coffin..............

Last edited by a moderator:
I blame Southern summers for cooking Brian France's brain. There has to be explanation for today and I think we found it.

Or maybe you can't cook something that wasn't there to begin with.

In California there is no humidity and except for living in the Sierra's, no snow. I've lived in both and humidity can go to hell along with the snow. You want hot 100+ degree summer days, California can do that too plus there are swimming pools in every other backyard. You want mild winters, she can do that too OR temps in the winter that swing from mid seventy's during the day to mid 30's at night. California has it all except a lot of water right now as we're in a serious draught and have been for several years. Seaside on the west coast and just 4 hours east by car you can be in the beautiful Sierra Mountains and Lake Tahoe that shares a border with Nevada and gambling.

:D :pbjtime:

In California there is no humidity and except for living in the Sierra's, no snow. I've lived in both and humidity can go to hell along with the snow. You want hot 100+ degree summer days, California can do that too plus there are swimming pools in every other backyard. You want mild winters, she can do that too OR temps in the winter that swing from mid seventy's during the day to mid 30's at night. California has it all except a lot of water right now as we're in a serious draught and have been for several years. Seaside on the west coast and just 4 hours east by car you can be in the beautiful Sierra Mountains and Lake Tahoe that shares a border with Nevada and gambling.

Sierras FTW. Gorgeous.

Yay!!!, I got the Fan Council Survey for this weekend, I shared my displeasure of the joke that was Daytona 500 Pole Day

But........ there must be something wrong with the air, food....... or climate that affects the brain.

You are the same Aloha that worships at the shrine of Gordon aren't you?

LOL.......

J/K..........

Yay!!!, I got the Fan Council Survey for this weekend, I shared my displeasure of the joke that was Daytona 500 Pole Day

Thank you but could the side show have been the fault of the "fan council" to begin with :unsure: or just Brian

Thank you but could the side show have been the fault of the "fan council" to begin with :unsure: or just Brian
That is a very good question , I would not be surprised if it had something to do with it

That is a very good question , I would not be surprised if it had something to do with it

I dont know much about the council, thats why I asked ................ maybe they suggested that spicing up Daytona qualifying would be cool and it went horribly wrong

Ya gotta admit in Round 3 the waiting 'til the clock ran down to 1 min before burning rubber onto the track was a bit nerve wracking. They all made it with 1 second to go. Whew! And of course the 24 is on the pole and the 48 qualified 2nd. :pbjtime:

Am I the only one who liked the drama of single car runs? I liked watching an early fast car put down a lap and then sweat it out while everyone else tried to knock him down.

Agree, agree, agree.

But let's take off the plates and sweat even harder.

This guy has a new site? Awesome.

Nice.

Maybe NASCAR will leave this guy in peace now.

There are like 3 different youtube channels dedicated to nascar full races now so I dont get why NASCAR is being a bitch to this particular fellow.

But........ there must be something wrong with the air, food....... or climate that affects the brain.

You are the same Aloha that worships at the shrine of Gordon aren't you?

LOL.......

J/K..........

thLOLdog.gif
thLOLdog.gif
thLOLdog.gif

thLOLdog2-1.gif

You take the plates off and the ones sweating the most will be ISC's and SMI's insurance companies. They'd have to take out the bottom 15 or 20 rows of seats.

I actually don't think it'd be that bad for single car qualifying. IndyCar is still giving turbo boosts for Indy500 qualifying. Stock cars would be tricky wide open without a plate at Daytona but they'd still be very stable and very close to flat-footed without traffic and dirty air.

The chance of a stock car flying, by itself, at Daytona at 225-240 is actually pretty low because of roof flaps, etc... I tell you what, it'd be worth every penny to go to qualifying day at a plate track if they'd ever do it this way.

I actually don't think it'd be that bad for single car qualifying. IndyCar is still giving turbo boosts for Indy500 qualifying. Stock cars would be tricky wide open without a plate at Daytona but they'd still be very stable and very close to flat-footed without traffic and dirty air.

The chance of a stock car flying, by itself, at Daytona at 225-240 is actually pretty low because of roof flaps, etc... I tell you what, it'd be worth every penny to go to qualifying day at a plate track if they'd ever do it this way.
I recall Rusty talking about a test or a commercial shoot or something at Talladega when the #2 was the only car there. They didn't have a plate on and he broke 220, and that was at least 10 years ago. Said it scared the hell out of him.

As to getting airborne, that isn't necessary to cause problems. Look at the 2013 Nationwide opener at Daytona, when an engine block tore the pedestrian gate open. Have the lawsuits been settled from that one yet?

Taking the plates off on a RP track is like not wearing protection when you are on a date with the town bicycle.

See I really really disagree with that. These cars are designed to stay on the ground. IndyCars have been stable at as high as 250mph

See I really really disagree with that. These cars are designed to stay on the ground. IndyCars have been stable at as high as 250mph

It would be fun to see, but I dont think the flaps are designed to compensate for those kinds of speeds.

I recall Rusty talking about a test or a commercial shoot or something at Talladega when the #2 was the only car there. They didn't have a plate on and he broke 220, and that was at least 10 years ago. Said it scared the hell out of him.

As to getting airborne, that isn't necessary to cause problems. Look at the 2013 Nationwide opener at Daytona, when an engine block tore the pedestrian gate open. Have the lawsuits been settled from that one yet?
If there's one type of track they should add a bunch of downforce/drag it's the superspeedway. Maybe if they did that and ran a smaller engine (no plate) it could work. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom